German Football 22/23 | 2. Bundesliga returns | Hamburg vs Schalke 20:30 |

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Only one actually - Stuttgart when a goal against us was not given because of a foul on Kimmich. That was very "soft".
That's also the only one I can think off and it's even not an obvious mistake.
In the same game we got penalty in the last minute, which was also pretty soft. The Stuttgart player missed the ball but a penalty was awarded because de Ligt collided with that player.

In Dortmund all debatable decisions went in Dortmund's favor.

Also we got 7 penalties against us but only 4 on our favor. Despite being the team with most touches in the opposition penalty area.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Because you claim it happens all the time so I'm sure it must be very easy for you give a few examples.

the more likely it is to a) get awarded an offside goal and b) get a non-offside goal against unjustifiably called offside. Obviously it was conducted in pre-VAR days. It focused of offside goals because there's no leerway, a decision is either correct or wrong.
That's at least 5 years ago. What's the purpose in bringing up the old times. And even back then I doubt there was a clear pattern of Bayern being favored.
Disadvantaging Bayern will obviously create much more public and organizational pressure on a referee than disadvantaging Paderborn.
Every wrongful decision pro Bayern will bring up the huge anti Bayern front in full arms.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
It's a bit funny how all you guys are suddenly pointing out that one should always focus on your own mistakes as uf you were the first to discover that improving the things you have actual control over is the secret to success. I think everybody is aware of this. It still sucks when you've played well enough to secure three points but missed out on these because of something you couldn't control.

And it's only natural to get angry about that, especially when it was such an important game. I can't recall Bayern having to suffer such a point loss in such a decisive situation due to (a) referee mistake(s) while I remember multiple occasions that worked against Dortmund in a title race with Bayern. And that makes sense because the Bayern officials always knew how to punish these things by building up public pressure.

The only comparable situation to this from Bayern's perspective was the CL tie they lost against Madrid and even then it was pretty ridiculous since Bayern was lucky Vidal wasn't sent off before they were disadvantaged. Didn't stop every Bayern official and fan to go completely nuts over it.

Easy to appeal to self reflection when it's rarely yourself finding yourself screwed by the referee ;)
Well in that case maybe you should just check the most objective opinion (as in fans of all clubs can vote/decide) regarding this issue?

https://www.wahretabelle.de/

But that would obviously make it harder for you to call out Bayern fans, because they are always only favored by the refs, right?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Because you claim it happens all the time so I'm sure it must be very easy for you give a few examples.

That's at least 5 years ago. What's the purpose in bringing up the old times. And even back then I doubt there was a clear pattern of Bayern being favored.

Every wrongful decision pro Bayern will bring up the huge anti Bayern front in full arms.
No I didn't. I said it happens more frequently which is different. I wouldn't even rule out that there were seasons in which Bayern had a net disadvantage.

Your media rant is also a bit hollow. Bayern has the most fans in Germany and nonreferee wants that kind of attention. Media outlets also tend to report what their readers want to read and since Bayern fans outnumber everyone else..

Maybe it is hard to grasp as a Bayern fan but your club definitely is the media favourite in Germany. Everything revolves around you in the media landscape.

Well in that case maybe you should just check the most objective opinion (as in fans of all clubs can vote/decide) regarding this issue?

https://www.wahretabelle.de/

But that would obviously make it harder for you to call out Bayern fans, because they are always only favored by the refs, right?
Actually I've been trying at different times today to visit the website and look at the criteria. I imagine since they are attibuting points, instances like the Adeyemi situation won't be captured in that table since Dortmund could have missed the penalty.

But that's not even that important. As said, even if Bayern was ahead for this season, it wouldn't prove anything. Even if Bayern was ahead in that table over all Bundesliga seasons, it wouldn't necessarily mean anything. Bayern ein by huge margins more than any other team which leads to many refereeing mistakes in both directions not being captured in the table at all, same goes for minor fouls, yellows, etc.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sport1.de/article/5715835

They enlist a few studies.

But again, it is only logical. Do you really think a referee feels the same pressure taking a decision against a small club as against Bayern? Come on.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
And another note, HSV are now 4 points and 11 goals behind Heidenheim. They could still make it through the playoffs but it's incredible to me how such a big club can fail to reach a top 2 finish in the second league 5 times in a row.

On the other hand that would be amazing for Heidenheim. Not sure how competitive they can be in the long run with that tiny stadium though...

JuriM

And another note, HSV are now 4 points and 11 goals behind Heidenheim. They could still make it through the playoffs but it's incredible to me how such a big club can fail to reach a top 2 finish in the second league 5 times in a row.

On the other hand that would be amazing for Heidenheim. Not sure how competitive they can be in the long run with that tiny stadium though...
As amazing story that would be, I am rooting for St Pauli to catch the #3 still and come to Bundesliga - our Estonian center back Karol Mets joined them on loan this winter and has been vital part of their back 3 ever since.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
As amazing story that would be, I am rooting for St Pauli to catch the #3 still and come to Bundesliga - our Estonian center back Karol Mets joined them on loan this winter and has been vital part of their back 3 ever since.
Pauli and Union in the Bundesliga and HSV and Hertha in the second league would certainly be a funny development but I doubt St. Pauli will make it, there simply aren't enough games left.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
But that's not even that important. As said, even if Bayern was ahead for this season, it wouldn't prove anything. Even if Bayern was ahead in that table over all Bundesliga seasons, it wouldn't necessarily mean anything.
"even if the most objective source on that matter proofs that Bayern were not favored by the refs, it doesnt mean anything because I cant remember games were Bayern was disadvantaged by the ref"

Honestly youre such a clown and I cant grasp how a grown up man can be so confident about his own totally subjective views that are contrary to all facts and statistics.

Reminds me of the Dunning Kruger effect

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
"even if the most objective source on that matter proofs that Bayern were not favored by the refs, it doesnt mean anything because I cant remember games were Bayern was disadvantaged by the ref"

Honestly youre such a clown and I cant grasp how a grown up man can be so confident about his own totally subjective views that are contrary to all facts and statistics.

Reminds me of the Dunning Kruger effect
Mate, you bring up some superficial arguments with completely flawed methodology and at the same time there are actually studies with statistical evidence of a big club bonus and you call me a clown? :)

Can't make that up. At least you've proven that knowing the Dunning Kruger effect doesn't mean you can't be subject to it. And in true Dunnjng Kruger fashion, you're too incompetent to even realize it. 'Most objective source', of course buddy

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Your media rant is also a bit hollow. Bayern has the most fans in Germany and nonreferee wants that kind of attention. Media outlets also tend to report what their readers want to read and since Bayern fans outnumber everyone else..
Of course Bayern gets much more Jesus attention than any other club. They have the most fans as well as the most haters.
Thus, it's just natural the media focuses more on Bayern.

Since the winter break Bayern makes the headlines almost daily. 80% of the articles are actually negative, written to cause disharmony in the dressing room. Actually most media outlets hope Bayern will finally struggle and another team wins the Bundesliga.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Mate, you bring up some superficial arguments with completely flawed methodology and at the same time there are actually studies with statistical evidence of a big club bonus and you call me a clown? :)
Based on one professor and data that are 10 years and older.
Since the introduction of VAR it's a total different game. The aren't wrong offside decisions anymore.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich

Can't make that up. At least you've proven that knowing the Dunning Kruger effect doesn't mean you can't be subject to it. And in true Dunnjng Kruger fashion, you're too incompetent to even realize it. 'Most objective source', of course buddy
1. At least I have arguments and dont only recall my bad memory as proof for anything

2. Some posts ago you stated that you dont know wahretabelle.de's methodoly and now you claim that it is flawed?

3. You claimed there are studies that proof the "Bayern bonus". What you delivered is a study that says that dominant and more attacking teams get more favorable decisions (in the box). Yeah, no shit sherlock. And not about Bayern at all and not at all relevant in a discussion like that where some people like you argue that the poor, poor Dortmund are always being disadvanted against the mighty Bayern

4. "most objective source". Yeah, it is. Tell me what would be more objective than a voting system for potential wrong ref decisions among fans of all clubs

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
1. At least I have arguments and dont only recall my bad memory as proof for anything

2. Some posts ago you stated that you dont know wahretabelle.de's methodoly and now you claim that it is flawed?

3. You claimed there are studies that proof the "Bayern bonus". What you delivered is a study that says that dominant and more attacking teams get more favorable decisions (in the box). Yeah, no shit sherlock. And not about Bayern at all and not at all relevant in a discussion like that where some people like you argue that the poor, poor Dortmund are always being disadvanted against the mighty Bayern

4. "most objective source". Yeah, it is. Tell me what would be more objective than a voting system for potential wrong ref decisions among fans of all clubs
First of all, I didn't indend to fight with you so apologies that my last post was a bit provocative.

1. I think the study is a pretty good argument. So from my perspective, the burden of proof is on you, not on me, since you're the one doubting the scientific research available.

2. I don't know the exact criteria after which they attribute "true points". But I know the general concept and there are still plenty of flaws in it, regardless of the details. For instance a wrong decision by the ref will not always be decisive, the team might have won anyway in the end. No true points will attributed over a wrong decision if the difference is a 3:0 or 4:0 victory so you have events that aren't captured. And then the focus on decisive mistakes means that the "sample size" is rather small so it might be possible that Bayern is generally advantaged but not over the course of the current season. Luckily game deciding mistakes are still a relatively rare occurrence after all but that also means there'll be much statistical noise over relatively long periods. So the aforementioned details (are only clearly wrong decisions considered or also those with room for interpretation? And if so, how?) rather influence how much statistical noise there is, not whether it is there.

3. The distinguishing between attacking and defensive teams doesn't make sense in this context. Yes, your attackers are in the box more often and will provoke more potentially game decisiding referee decisions but the conclusion that this systemically makes you more likely to be advantaged is wrong. Simply because each of these calls could also be wrongly called against you. There might be a psychological bias to reward the more active team but then we're not discussing whether there's a Bayern bonus but why.

4. It still leaves to for interpretation. There might be a bias out of sympathies, there might also be a lack of expertise. It may be as good a procedure as possoble but it still isn't entirely objective. Which is why many studies in that context focus on very clear situationa like offsites or goal line stuff.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Of course Bayern gets much more Jesus attention than any other club. They have the most fans as well as the most haters.
Thus, it's just natural the media focuses more on Bayern.

Since the winter break Bayern makes the headlines almost daily. 80% of the articles are actually negative, written to cause disharmony in the dressing room. Actually most media outlets hope Bayern will finally struggle and another team wins the Bundesliga.
One way or another, no referee wants this attention. I mean, a mistake against Bochum will cause a bit of outrage by the Bochum officials and some Bochum fans will write nasty stuff on social media, sure, but a mistake against Bayern and all this amplifies a hundred times. Of course a referee mistake that advantages Bayern will also get more attention but not to the same extent.

But I do agree that the media landscape is currently rooting for a Dortmund title although I think that has more to do with the general situation in the Bundesliga.

Based on one professor and data that are 10 years and older.
Since the introduction of VAR it's a total different game. The aren't wrong offside decisions anymore.
Actually, one of the studies is from 2016. But yeah, the VAR eliminated much room for mistakes which is why I'm still a huge fan of it. Yet there still is room for mistakes as evidenced by the Adeyemi situation.

And let's leave the empirical part aside for a second. There are so many factors that are known to subconsciously affect our decision making. Put yourself in the shoes of a referee, how nervous they are before seeing over a match in which Bayern participates, standing besides superstars with millions of followers. It's just human that this has an influence on them, you can't even blame them for it. We're social creatures after all and react to group pressure, etc.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Put yourself in the shoes of a referee, how nervous they are before seeing over a match in which Bayern participates, standing besides superstars with millions of followers. It's just human that this has an influence on them, you can't even blame them for it. We're social creatures after all and react to group pressure, etc.
If this was true, the particular person wouldn't be qualified to be top league referee.

Stegemann got one call wrong and it was actually against the bigger team favoring the underdog. All other calls were ok, at least no clear mistakes.
Funnily nobody mentions the 8 minute extra time which wasn't justified at all. There were no long VAR calls or injuries and no additional goals in the second half.
No idea were this long injury time came from.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
If this was true, the particular person wouldn't be qualified to be top league referee.

Stegemann got one call wrong and it was actually against the bigger team favoring the underdog. All other calls were ok, at least no clear mistakes.
Funnily nobody mentions the 8 minute extra time which wasn't justified at all. There were no long VAR calls or injuries and no additional goals in the second half.
No idea were this long injury time came from.
Well, then nobody is qualified to be a top league referee. Maybe AI can take over at some point but until then we have to live with the shortcomings of the human psyche ;)

The study also mentions that the reputation of a team isn't the only influencing factor. It also suggests that there is a bias in favour of teams endangered by relegation towards the end of the season which further strengthens the assumptions that public pressure plays a role.

I'd also assume that there's a bias to favour teams that were disadvantaged by a previous mistake by the way, regarding your point made about the extra time.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Anyway...
Sommer - Mazraoui, Pavard, De Ligt, Cancelo - Goretzka, Kimmich - Gnabry, Musiala, Coman - Mané
vs
Christensen - Kenny, Uremovic, Rogel, Plattenhardt- Tousart - Lukebakio, Boetius, Mittelstädt - Niederlechner, Ngankam

I wouldn't rule out something like an 8:0 that puts all the recent narratives to bed and gets Bayern firmly back on track.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Well, then nobody is qualified to be a top league referee.
Nonsense and you know it! Like there are players that aren't intimidated or affected to play at a hostile ground, there are definitely referees who don't succumb to the pressure the home crowd or a big team like Bayern put on them. After all you don't need dozens but only maybe 15 top referees.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Anyway...
Sommer - Mazraoui, Pavard, De Ligt, Cancelo - Goretzka, Kimmich - Gnabry, Musiala, Coman - Mané
vs
Christensen - Kenny, Uremovic, Rogel, Plattenhardt- Tousart - Lukebakio, Boetius, Mittelstädt - Niederlechner, Ngankam

I wouldn't rule out something like an 8:0 that puts all the recent narratives to bed and gets Bayern firmly back on track.
By now I think we can be sure it will not be 8:0 in the end. Would be hilarious if it stays 0:0 and Bayern waste their opportunity to overtake Dortmund.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Nonsense and you know it! Like there are players that aren't intimidated or affected to play at a hostile ground, there are definitely referees who don't succumb to the pressure the home crowd or a big team like Bayern put on them. After all you don't need dozens but only maybe 15 top referees.
No, I don't know that

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
No, I don't know that
Well then you learnt something today. :D

The incident when Coman came to fall in the penalty area in the first half was very similar to the scene between Plea and Upamecano in Gladbach. Both were minimal touches while the striker was at high speed.

In Gladbach it was freekick and a red card, today the referee let play on. Another proof that you are just believing in conspiracies that Bayern always get the close calls.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Well then you learnt something today. :D

The incident when Coman came to fall in the penalty area in the first half was very similar to the scene between Plea and Upamecano in Gladbach. Both were minimal touches while the striker was at high speed.

In Gladbach it was freekick and a red card, today the referee let play on. Another proof that you are just believing in conspiracies that Bayern always get the close calls.
And no one will talk about it since Bayern won and Zehner would never have noticed. (Btw, I think that it was completely okay to let them play on today.)

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
And no one will talk about it since Bayern won and Zehner would never have noticed. (Btw, I think that it was completely okay to let them play on today.)
I'm totally with you here. However, the referee should have done the same in Gladbach as well.
Worse even than the mistake in Bochum, that referee (forgot his name) went to watch it on screen and still stood firm in his red card. Despite there was virtually no contact.

Blackwidow

Put yourself in the shoes of a referee, how nervous they are before seeing over a match in which Bayern participates, standing besides superstars with millions of followers. It's just human that this has an influence on them, you can't even blame them for it. We're social creatures after all and react to group pressure, etc.
Funnily I see the empathy more that awakens in about every referee that comes to the Westfalenstadion for the BVB players...

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
That's a bit anecdotal, isn't it? What we need is sombody who conducts an empirical research that analyzes whether Bayern profits more often from refereeing mistakes than other teams. Wait.. ;)

Funnily I see the empathy more that awakens in about every referee that comes to the Westfalenstadion for the BVB players...
That's also been suggested by the study by the way. Home advantage is a thing, especially in front of huge crowds.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Screw the title, I'm glad I can still enjoy it when my team plays entertaining football and today they do. :)

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
that might be a factor if there was one team of superstars in a league with 17 other teams of complete nobodies.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Köln destroying Hertha's last hope (4-2 now after 75min). Fun to watch as a neutral, Köln doesn't care about the result and just plays, Hertha tries but can't do it better

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Thank you for nothing Gladbach.

Looking forward to our next game where you will obviously look like a CL winner again.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
VARable:

not VARable:
VAR is supposed to intervene if the ref made a clear mistake or the ref didnt see a certain action.
Today it looked like the ref didnt see the clear hit to Musialas face.

But maybe you are right and its all part of a big conspiracy to guarantee Bayern their 11th title. Who knows?

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Thank you for nothing Gladbach.

Looking forward to our next game where you will obviously look like a CL winner again.
Did you actually really believed that Gladbach could get a result in Dortmund?

Dortmund winning is the most sure bet you can place this weekend.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Did you actually really believed that Gladbach could get a result in Dortmund?

Dortmund winning is the most sure bet you can place this weekend.
I certainly didnt expect them to just bend over for Dortmund

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
I certainly didnt expect them to just bend over for Dortmund
Isn't that what they regularly do in Dortmund? Can't remember when they got a point there the last time.

Augsburg will be a much harder test for them.

Anyway Bayern just have to win their 2 remaining games. Then Dortmund can win every match 6:0 or higher.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Do Dortmund still think they can win the league on GD?

Bless 'em.