German Football 22/23 | 2. Bundesliga returns | Hamburg vs Schalke 20:30 |

verycute

Supports
Schalke
i love Dortmund

Not wanting to interfere too much with the Relegation Battle they simply play Draw vs Schalke Stuttgart and Bochum.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The funny part is that I paid money to watch this shit. Thank you Sascha Stegemann for making me realize I can save 50 bucks a month with two clicks.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

Why bother with this competition
I mean, the Dortmund player initiates the contact by not going for the ball and sticking out his leg, but a challenge like that from the Bochum player is simply very stupid and should be a penalty for that reason alone. :drool:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I mean, the Dortmund player initiates the contact by not going for the ball and sticking out his leg, but a challenge like that from the Bochum player is simply very stupid and should be a penalty for that reason alone. :drool:
That's just shielding the ball, it's not rough or dangerous play - unlike that 'tackle'. But yeah, even Bochum's #2 is raising his arms in desperation at the stupidity of the challenge. And he had the best view, too; had he been the ref, he'd have given that penalty, even as a Bochum player.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
As bad as that penalty call was, Dortmund had a lot of chances to score again. Adeyemi missed most of them but the Moukoku chance at the end was the best (credit to Riemann for the save)

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Those refs are draining the life out of me at this point. This season has been a whole new level of absolute incompetency. But next week we will get another sad interview from Stegemann because some 12 year olds sent him death threats and this shitshow will be forgotten about. Respect the refs!

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The fun part that Adeyemi's situation wasn't the only contentious moment yesterday.
There was also this:

As a bonus: imagine you're in charge of referee assignments. You have a game with huge implications for the title race and an international spotlight coming up. You have dozens of referees to choose from. Who do you pick for the VAR job?

Blackwidow

The fun part that Adeyemi's situation wasn't the only contentious moment yesterday.
There was also this:

As a bonus: imagine you're in charge of referee assignments. You have a game with huge implications for the title race and an international spotlight coming up. You have dozens of referees to choose from. Who do you pick for the VAR job?

The interview was taken after the match in Frankfurt - Frankfurt did not get a clear penalty caused by him...
Same referee...

Wahre Tabelle last weeks showed Bayern leading 2 points ahead of Dortmund.

We did not talk much about the "foul" on Kramaric last week, too, that caused the freekick for the equalizer...

At the end it was the waste of chances the BVB did not use yesterday - not the referee...

Last edited:

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
I wrote in the Dortmund thread but see that the discussion is here - is there anything to prevent the club taking the refereeing union to court ?

I genuinely struggle to explain how this is possible without foul play.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
There was also this:

Oh the conspiracy theories are already starting, haha.

Just remember the same ref gifted you a win against Frankfurt by denying them an equally clear penalty.

Blackwidow

So you think VAR should act based on player interviews?
No. But it is not that the referees steal you the title. Dortmund is not the team that is always cheated on. And - despite that referee decision (and nobody knows if the penalty would not have been bottled) - there were enough big chances the team did not make.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Just remember the same ref gifted you a win against Frankfurt by denying them an equally clear penalty.

What conspiracy theories? I linked a video, everyone can decide for themselves what they make of it, it certainly was less clear than the foul on Adeyemi.

Regarding Hartmann: I'm not saying this had anything to do with his performance, but surely it's not that hard to grasp that it's somewhere between stupid and careless to assign him to this fixture, when you can pick basically any other ref. It's just a little cherry on top.

No. But it is not that the referees steal you the title. Dortmund is not the team that is always cheated on. And - despite that referee decision (and nobody knows if the penalty would not have been bottled) - there were enough big chances the team did not make.
Yeah.. the good old "if the referee fecks up it's actually your own fault, because you didn't score enough goals". A classic.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

I don't think that's as clear as the foul on Adeyemi. I wouldn't even say it is a clear penalty. Rather a "you can't complain if it is given against you but it would be a very strict decision" type of situation.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I love this. I hope this conspiracy theories continue. Everyone wants to keep the poor Dortmund players down.

Blackwidow

Yeah.. the good old "if the referee fecks up it's actually your own fault, because you didn't score enough goals". A classic.
Yes. As it does not help. It is not that the other teams do not have the disadvantages, too - and that Dortmund has not been lucky with some decisions this year either.

Because as I know Dortmund at the end of the season - if you do not get the title - it will not be the performance of the team but the bad referee that did not give you the penalty (despite all the situations this season that favoured you!)

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
It's a bit funny how all you guys are suddenly pointing out that one should always focus on your own mistakes as uf you were the first to discover that improving the things you have actual control over is the secret to success. I think everybody is aware of this. It still sucks when you've played well enough to secure three points but missed out on these because of something you couldn't control.

And it's only natural to get angry about that, especially when it was such an important game. I can't recall Bayern having to suffer such a point loss in such a decisive situation due to (a) referee mistake(s) while I remember multiple occasions that worked against Dortmund in a title race with Bayern. And that makes sense because the Bayern officials always knew how to punish these things by building up public pressure.

The only comparable situation to this from Bayern's perspective was the CL tie they lost against Madrid and even then it was pretty ridiculous since Bayern was lucky Vidal wasn't sent off before they were disadvantaged. Didn't stop every Bayern official and fan to go completely nuts over it.

Easy to appeal to self reflection when it's rarely yourself finding yourself screwed by the referee ;)

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
I can't recall Bayern having to suffer such a point loss in such a decisive situation due to (a) referee mistake(s)
The dive of Kamaric that let to the free kick for Hoffenheim 's equalizer? The clear second yellow card for Bellingham not given in the match in Dortmund?

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
It's a bit funny how all you guys are suddenly pointing out that one should always focus on your own mistakes as uf you were the first to discover that improving the things you have actual control over is the secret to success. I think everybody is aware of this. It still sucks when you've played well enough to secure three points but missed out on these because of something you couldn't control.

And it's only natural to get angry about that, especially when it was such an important game. I can't recall Bayern having to suffer such a point loss in such a decisive situation due to (a) referee mistake(s) while I remember multiple occasions that worked against Dortmund in a title race with Bayern. And that makes sense because the Bayern officials always knew how to punish these things by building up public pressure.

The only comparable situation to this from Bayern's perspective was the CL tie they lost against Madrid and even then it was pretty ridiculous since Bayern was lucky Vidal wasn't sent off before they were disadvantaged. Didn't stop every Bayern official and fan to go completely nuts over it.

Easy to appeal to self reflection when it's rarely yourself finding yourself screwed by the referee ;)
Ah, more conspiracy theories. :drool:
Your view is biased, therefore you experienced situations that are in Bayern’s favor (like yesterday) differently than those that favor Bayern’s opponents.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
The dive of Kamaric that let to the free kick for Hoffenheim 's equalizer? The clear second yellow card for Bellingham not given in the match in Dortmund?
That's a free kick decision, not a penalty

Ah, more conspiracy theories. :drool:
Your view is biased, therefore you experienced situations that are in Bayern’s favor (like yesterday) differently than those that favor Bayern’s opponents.
Yeah, my view is biased. But there's statistical evidence for the Bayern bonus so I'm confident that my perception isn't baseless.

Blackwidow

Yeah, my view is biased. But there's statistical evidence for the Bayern bonus so I'm confident that my perception isn't baseless.
The media echo when Bayern is favoured or when an opponent is getting a bad call is differently in Germany. And there is not much talk about disadvantages if Bayern is winning despite of that.

In my eyes a lot of this views are driven by the way the media in Germany operates.

If the team with the most dribblings get the least fouls called per match in all of the league than you remark that there is something wrong...

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
The media echo when Bayern is favoured or when an opponent is getting a bad call is differently in Germany. And there is not much talk about disadvantages if Bayern is winning despite of that.

In my eyes a lot of this views are driven by the way the media in Germany operates.

If the team with the most dribblings get the least fouls called per match in all of the league than you remark that there is something wrong...
Talking about conspiracy theories ;)

There were actual studies that clearly suggested that the bigger the team the more likely it is to get advantaged by refereeing mistakes. I don't think there is much room for interpretation.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
In a very dangerous position. It was Hoffenheim's first and only shot in target. Without it, they wouldn't have gotten away with a point.
It is still nothing the VAR could have overruled. And dangerous position or not, you can expect a 20% conversion rate from there if we're very generous but a 75-80% conversion rate from a penalty. It speaks volumes if you liken that situation to the Adeyemi incident.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
It is still nothing the VAR could have overruled. And dangerous position or not, you can expect a 20% conversion rate from there if we're very generous but a 75-80% conversion rate from a penalty. It speaks volumes if you liken that situation to the Adeyemi incident.
I gave you several other examples. Especially from the match in Dortmund where Bellingham had to see his second yellow card. Instead he plays on and even shoots a goal.

It's just a stupid conspiracy theory that referees favor Bayern.

Dortmund moans since 10 years about decisions against them when playing Bayern. Maybe they should focus better on scoring goals than things out of their hands anyway.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I gave you several other examples. Especially from the match in Dortmund where Bellingham had to see his second yellow card. Instead he plays on and even shoots a goal.

It's just a stupid conspiracy theory that referees favor Bayern.

Dortmund moans since 10 years about decisions against them when playing Bayern. Maybe they should focus better on scoring goals than things out of their hands anyway.
Also nothing the VAR could have overruled.

And no, it is not a conspiracy theory. It is actually scientifically proven, like it or not.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Union Berlin is one of those teams whose success you can only enjoy until you have to watch theh play. Terribly boring football

Blackwidow

Then name the matches of this season Bayern profited from wrong referee decisions.
Only one actually - Stuttgart when a goal against us was not given because of a foul on Kimmich. That was very "soft".

The study Zehner talks about probably was that that bigger teams often are favoured - reason for that is because they have the ball far more than the smaller teams.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Then name the matches of this season Bayern profited from wrong referee decisions.
Why?

Only one actually - Stuttgart when a goal against us was not given because of a foul on Kimmich. That was very "soft".

The study Zehner talks about probably was that that bigger teams often are favoured - reason for that is because they have the ball far more than the smaller teams.
That's your interpretation. As far as I remember, the study concluded that the bigger a team, the more likely it is to a) get awarded an offside goal and b) get a non-offside goal against unjustifiably called offside. Obviously it was conducted in pre-VAR days. It focused of offside goals because there's no leerway, a decision is either correct or wrong.

And to be honest, it's just logical. Disadvantaging Bayern will obviously create much more public and organizational pressure on a referee than disadvantaging Paderborn. It's pretty naive to believe that this won't at least subconsciously influence a referees decision making.