German Football 23/24 |

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Would be quite the story if he joined Bayern, wouldn't it?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

Would be quite the story if he joined Bayern, wouldn't it?
Rummenigge talked about him as a potential Bayern manager already when he was a player there. Would be something long in the making and not surprising

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Bayern would certainly be the easiest out of the three clubs. It would be a PR disasster for the Bundesliga though if Bayern signs the coach of the reigning Bundesliga champion in 2024.

Paula

Supports
Bayern
Bayern would certainly be the easiest out of the three clubs. It would be a PR disasster for the Bundesliga though if Bayern signs the coach of the reigning Bundesliga champion in 2024.
haha, I like your mindset.
But I really like how Bayer is playing currently :)

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
He would instantly the best ever if he can make Leverkusen win anything. :p

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Anyone watching the u21? That second Moukoko goal was beyond Hradeckian, maybe the worst GK mistake I've ever seen.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Might not be a bad fit. He was at his best when at Esbjerg. Actually made them contenders.
Does he have a reputation for working with young(ish) players? Because Augsburg's squad barely has any players older than 25.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That goal by Muslija was quite something:

Is modern goalkeeping still tenable after this?

I never would have guessed that his game count is so special, but it makes sense, considering he started playing fairly young and very fortunate with injuries. He's also in fairly good form at the moment: Bremen was the 7th consecutive game, where he delivered a goal or assist.

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Goal and assist Frimpong. Hope Cowman gives him 90 minutes against Ireland or Gibraltar, I want to get a proper look at him.

Gilgamesh

Supports
Bayern, and others
Has anyone else watched the Bayern documentary series on Amazon already? It's called "Behind the Legend", which is very misleading title, because it is much more about failure, before it is about winning.

It spans the years from 2008 to 2013 in Bayern’s history with a lot never seen before footage and interviews. It is amazing! The most reflective view of a team, its members, and a club, and its dynamics over several seasons I've ever seen.

I would guess it's also interesting for international viewers since it contains also interviews with SAF, LVG, Jose Mourinho, and many other friends and foes Bayern has crossed during that period.

A must see for Bayern fans, but also a very interesting inside view if you want to understand how it actually is behind the scenes when you think your team might be able to make history - but fails a lot before it finally makes it. I remember that time vividly.

PS: It was always rumoured but now it's proven that Ribery gave Robben a Black Eye in half time of a CL semi final in Bernadeau... ;)

PPS: Plus the most inside view ever on how penalty shootouts on that level really work, thanks to Petre Czech and Manuel Neuer, and all the Bayern shooters... :(

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I feel dirty for writing this, but yesterday hell actually froze over and Didi Hamann made a good point:

Sky have uploaded the full 4 minute video, with better audio, on their homepage.

I feel like this perfectly captures the issue with the German application of VAR.

I mean Grifo's tackling is clearly reckless (high intensity, outstretched leg, foot above ground) and the contact terrible and then you get the DFB Spokesman on there and tells you, but he hit the side of the boot and not the ankle
- yellow card it is.. This time they used an imagined version of a technicality to justify a 95/5 call. Next game VAR will intervene on a perfectly reasonable 50/50 call.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Not listening to Didi Hamann, but that wasn’t a red? :houllier:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Not listening to Didi Hamann, but that wasn’t a red? :houllier:
Ref gave it a yellow on the pitch and then Feuerherdt acknowledged that it could also have been a red card, but gave the aforementioned explanation for why they let it stand. And I think this wasn't Hamann's usual being controversial for the sake of it, it seemed to me like he genuinely got wound up by the bullshit statement of Feuerherdt, that was bordering on denying reality. I mean to Sky's credit they even showed the picture I shared as he was going on about "the pattern of contact pointed towards a yellow card".

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

The debut of Schalke's new coach will kick off in little under an hour. As one of his first notable decisions he's allowed Ralle Fährmann to make his 50th comeback at Schalke. Thomas Kalas only played 95 minutes under Reis, so that's another change and Bayern loanee Kabadayi mainly got substitute appearances as an attacker to his name, so maybe there's some asymmetrical stuff going on.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Lovely debut. This new Schalke is really fun to watch.

edit:
Imagine it's your first game as a new coach and the ultras are boycotting the game after the first half :drool:

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Matriciani scores! Schalke's half time subs coming to fruition.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Lovely debut. This new Schalke is really fun to watch.

edit:
Imagine it's your first game as a new coach and the ultras are boycotting the game after the first half :drool:
I mean having to go to Karlsruhe for your debut is as much of a trial by fire as they come

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I mean having to go to Karlsruhe for your debut is as much of a trial by fire as they come
Everyone knows the stronghold that is Wildparkstadion. Even Bayern couldn't win there in the last 15 years. But I think Schalke's problems may be bigger than that. Looking at the table:

Schalke fans may have to admit that it's going to be a bumpy ride towards promotion this year. A few more unlucky games and they could even slide into relegation worries.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Schalke going to do a Sunderland aren't they?
My feeling says "no", because their attack, individually, probably shouldn't be anywhere near relegation and because their fans and stadium alone should guarantee them a couple of extra points. But on the other hand their defensive record is the worst in the league and the points gap keeps widening and at some point you can't ignore the facts. So the window for them to stabilize is obviously closing at some point, but I still think they have plenty of time. If the table looks the same on Christmas then it may be time to start worrying.

Also if they do get relegated, I wouldn't bet on them automatically receiving a license for the third division. Considering the debt that still burdens them we'd have to wonder about bankruptcy again and since they still haven't spun off their professional football division from the club itself I'm not even sure if they'd be able to automatically reboot in an amateur division.

Is there a worse goal celebration music than in Köln?
I'm not one for Karneval, but I think we should respect any club, that still uses local music - instead of copying the scooter song from Gladbach or some other bit that 20 clubs in Europe also use.

Almost the same situation as Grifo's foul yesterday. VAR turned a yellow in to a red card. Clowns.

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Heidenheim - Augsburg really turns out to be quite entertaining. I only started watching it out of boredom but after 5 goals and a total turn of the match I don't regnet it :lol:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Did Brandt just randomly threw shade at two unrelated clubs? :lol:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

Did Brandt just randomly threw shade at two unrelated clubs? :lol:
Aren't these the last two PL clubs Dortmund played against? So not that random but just a logical comparison to their recent experiences?

Still funny nonetheless

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Aren't these the last two PL clubs Dortmund played against? So not that random but just a logical comparison to their recent experiences?

Still funny nonetheless
Yes, they didn't pop up on his mind randomly, but it's still (unintentional) trash talk out of nowhere.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

What is it with the German football sphere and hounding certain players, to the point where they should consider moving abroad.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
2. Liga is treating us with a pretty terrific fixture list today:

Some changes at Schalke: Baumgartl, Kabadayi, Seguin, Ouedraogo, Ouwejan and Terodde are benched, compared to last game. In young Ouedraogo's case it may also have protective reasons, since he got harassed to the point where he deleted his Instagram account.

edit:
Schalke's new coach seems to talk a lot about mentality and not at all about football in his interviews. :nervous:

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Nasty situation at Schalke. Fährmann cleared a long ball, but being a goal keeper, he did so at head height of his opponent and pushed him into a pretty nasty fall. Somewhat similar to Neuer vs Higuain. I don't think that would have been a foul a couple of years ago, but since the game is now (even) more conscious about player safety it perhaps is one now.

Goldfiessli

Supports
FC Basel
Nasty situation at Schalke. Fährmann cleared a long ball, but being a goal keeper, he did so at head height of his opponent and pushed him into a pretty nasty fall. Somewhat similar to Neuer vs Higuain. I don't think that would have been a foul a couple of years ago, but since the game is now (even) more conscious about player safety it perhaps is one now.
Saw it, too. In my opinion, these actions should be punished more often. You shouldn't be able to barrage into players, because you are a goalkeeper.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Saw it, too. In my opinion, these actions should be punished more often. You shouldn't be able to barrage into players, because you are a goalkeeper.
I don't disagree entirely. But I think it should be a clear foul if the keeper hitting a player with a raised fist or leg/knee, because that's reckless, wheras I think Fährmann's situation was more accidental, because he caught his opponent off-guard and he was unlucky to land on his head.

What's going on here? Is the Kicker guy having a stroke or is VAR getting creative again? :lol: