Germany at World Cup 2014

dannymc1309

Any a german experts care to tell me who is expected to be starting upfront? Will there be some rotation?

Sorry if this has already been covered, had a scan through.

Blackwidow

Any a german experts care to tell me who is expected to be starting upfront? Will there be some rotation?

It is open. I can tell you how they played in the test match against the U20 yesterday. There they played 4 quarters with each 20 minutes and played with one team the first 40 minutes and with another the second 40. The U20 has the tasks to simulate special tactics of the group stage opponents.

The first team played a 4-1-4-1
Weidenfeller
Ginter - Mertesacker - Hummels - Durm
Khedira
Schürrle - Özil - Götze - Podolski
Klose

The second team played a 4-3-3
Zieler
Höwedes - Boateng - Mustafi - Großkreutz
Kramer - Draxler - Kroos
Müller - Volland - Reus

Goals :
1:0 Mertesacker after a corner
2:0 Klose
3:0, 4:0, 5:0, 6:0 Müller
7:0 Reus
8:0 Müller

The offense will be mixed out of this 2 teams. Müller, Özil and Reus are the constants since 2 years and Löw will not mix with that.

I guess Klose will get his time as a striker as well as Götze or even Volland. But as already told - the striker question is just relevant because we might need a player that occupies the defense - that could be a job that the offensive midfielders could do in time sharing - the most dangerous of this team are Reus and Müller (or Schürrle and Götze) coming from deep...

There is a test match tomorrow. But I doubt that this question will be answered there. It could be that there is different strategies for each match. You have Reus and Müller who scored about 25 goals this season - even Götze scored 16 with less match time.

-------

The test matches somehow show that he plans with Lahm on the right. Because Großkreutz was not played as the right fullback but on the left. That is probably the achilles heel as Schmelzer still has injury problems and I do not know if Löw really trusts into Durm. The right fullback position - even if Lahm would have to play in the midfield (but Khedira seems to be ok in time) can even be played by Boateng with Mertesacker and Hummels in central defense.

Last edited:

ManniKaltz

In addition to Blackwidow's detailed response, I'd like to tadd that from all interview scraps with Löw during the last weeks, I take it that he indeed will rotate more compared to previous tournaments, simply because of the challenging climate conditions which our Germans lads are not used to.

Off topic to the question but in response to @Blackwidow's post:

Whether or not Löw will play Lahm in midfield or as RB will IMHO depend heavily on the opponent's left AM and if Khedira and Schweinsteiger are fully fit.

I assume that Löw tested Großkreutz as LB not necessarily because he doesn't trust Durm but because Kevin had only 2-3 matches on this position; that's much less than Durm has under his belt.

Blackwidow

@ManniKaltz

If Khedira does not get injured again, he will play. And then it will be Khedira & Schweinsteiger or Khedira & Kroos.

A cartoon talking about the south tyrol comedy show:

Blackwidow

In about an hour against Cameroon...

Weidenfeller
Boateng,Mertesacker,Hummels,Durm
Khedira,Kroos
Müller, Özil,Reus
Götze

Blackwidow

Are Schweiny and Lahm just being further rested or are they still injured?
Lahm is still injured but already running - but not in team training until now. He and Neuer are already in Munich but are training on Säbener Straße. The German players go home tomorrow until Thursday and meet then again for the last test match. Lahm probably would have started team training now but with the match and the "holidays" that is not possible. Neuer is expected to be in goal again next week. Both are not in danger for the World Cup.

Schweinsteiger is in team training since Monday or Tuesday but still in build-up of form. He can play but probably will only play the second half.

JackJebb

Neuer in goal, Lahm at right-back ahead of Durm and maybe Schweinsteiger ahead of Kroos in CM to come in there for the first XI at the World Cup.

MTR

hates Herrera
Don't look at my tag. Not native English speaker
:lol:

To put it in a nutshell:
* Some poster claimed that Germany have failed recently
* Some German fans then said how they haven't
* I gave my opinion that they haven't managed the last step now for a while. You say Spain and Germany didn't meet since 2010, but Germany met Italy in 2012 and didn't have a chance and Spain then in the final hammered Italy. Now it's all if and buts, but considering Spain gave their best performance of the tournament in the final, I really don't think how they wouldn't have beaten Germany, too.
You know that football in nontransitive game?

Blackwidow

Neuer in goal, Lahm at right-back ahead of Durm and maybe Schweinsteiger ahead of Kroos in CM to come in there for the first XI at the World Cup.
Yes - and maybe Klose for Götze. Could be that this depends on the opponent.

JackJebb

He won't start Klose for sure. He Will be used as sub. Gotze or Muller will start at CF/False 9.

Wouldn't Klose at least make perfect sense off the bench if you're down a goal with 20-30 mins left?

Blackwidow

He won't start Klose for sure. He Will be used as sub. Gotze or Muller will start at CF/False 9.

Wouldn't Klose at least make perfect sense off the bench if you're down a goal with 20-30 mins left?
Then Schürrle makes more sense against tired opponents.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Then Schürrle makes more sense against tired opponents.
Depends. If we're in the lead, then Schürrle is a great option to play on the counter. If we chase the game, then Klose makes a lot of sense.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Durm so far really solid in the back and with some good actions going forward. Unbelievable what Klopp did with this boy. Schmelzer has got himself a tough opponent for his spot, both at Dortmund and the national team.

Sphaero

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
:lol: midfielder/forwards just refuse to help the back4. every single fecking game the same. I bet that Löw is blaming a Dortmund player after the match. :lol:
What do you expect if Khedira is suppossed to play the part of the defensive midfielder and refuses to do the defensive part of his role.

Oh, and look, Müller scores after being moved up front. I hope that this spells the end of the idea of Götze as false nine. I doubt it, though.

Ruht

Might give Löw ideas that Podolski should start though!

Nowt impressive so far. Ozil was awful throughout as well. Durm has been good though, one thing I liked about tonight's match.

ctp

Khedira should really be nowhere near the starting eleven. He just runs wherever he likes, no positional discipline at all. Combine that with Kroos and it's as good defensively as the United midfield.

JackJebb

Might give Löw ideas that Podolski should start though!

Nowt impressive so far. Ozil was awful throughout as well. Durm has been good though, one thing I liked about tonight's match.

Germany should go with Muller or Klose leading the line, false nine hasn't worked sadly.

Blackwidow

Germany should go with Muller or Klose leading the line, false nine hasn't worked sadly.
I always have the feeling that Götze and Özil do not work with each other - they get into each others way.

ctp

I always have the feeling that Götze and Özil do not work with each other - they get into each others way.
It's also a matter of form. Götze hasn't played well for months and Özil never bothers to turn up for friendlies.

ManniKaltz

:lol: midfielder/forwards just refuse to help the back4. every single fecking game the same. I bet that Löw is blaming a Dortmund player after the match. :lol:
Surprisingly, Löw didn't - he actually pointed towards Boateng and Mertesacker re: the 2nd conceded goal without mentioning their names.

Re: others: Özil is in poor form but Podolski positively surprised me. Can anybody remind me of a single N11 match in which Götze had a good game as a false nine?

Durm has a ticket for Brazil, not doubt about it, but hard to tell who will have to stay home. I still believe Draxler is likely to be one of the unlucky three, plus two out of the following: Ginter, Großkreutz, Höwedes, Mustafi, Schmelzer (due to his injury).

Blackwidow

What do you expect if Khedira is suppossed to play the part of the defensive midfielder and refuses to do the defensive part of his role.

Oh, and look, Müller scores after being moved up front. I hope that this spells the end of the idea of Götze as false nine. I doubt it, though.
The problem with Müller upfront is that he then ain't playing on the right side then. Especially in the combination with Lahm he somehow is a real winger (with the other side a right foot going inwards) or the second striker. I can understand why Löw is reluctant with changing that especially as Klose as striker ain't so dominant and works great in combination with him in that role.

The problem with Götze is that his performances come in waves... - he has real good matches when everybody tells he has to always play - and then real bad ones. But he is young...

maze

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
howdy @Blackwidow, did you watch a lot of true detective lately? it sure ain't no bad show, right?

maze

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Why?

I do not know the series. I am not in films and shows. Just football crazy - but that real...
was just referring to you using "ain't"... which i did after watching this show. no pun intended.

anyway, did löw really play a defensive line of 4 centerbacks for the last 20 minutes? this guy is hilarious. sorry, but just: no.

Sphaero

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The problem with Müller upfront is that he then ain't playing on the right side then. Especially in the combination with Lahm he somehow is a real winger (with the other side a right foot going inwards) or the second striker. I can understand why Löw is reluctant with changing that especially as Klose as striker ain't so dominant and works great in combination with him in that role.
So we have no other players who can play that position? Reus or Götze for starters could fill that role, Özil aswell.

The problem with Götze is that his performances come in waves... - he has real good matches when everybody tells he has to always play - and then real bad ones. But he is young...
I agree with that right now, but you know what the sad part about this statement is? It is the absolute opposite of what Mario Götze used to be. The main reason why he was rated so high at his young age was not so much his technique, versatility or presence on the pitch. It was his brutal consistency. The boy stepped on the pitch in his first real professional season as 18 year old and delivered week for week. Sure, he had an occasional poor game like everybody else, but something like a slump was unheard of for him in his Dortmund days. He even came back from a six month long injury and played like nothing happened, like he was never gone. Thats what made him special in my eyes, because it is so rare to see a talent have the stability in his form like a player in his prime. If he was fit, you could count on him 100%.

You don´t see that anymore at Munich. I dunno what the reason for that is. Maybe it is the difference in pressure from the outside and inside the team (in terms of competition). Maybe it is because he has less freedom in his role than he had under Klopp. I would not say it is the system, because in terms of player profile he is not a typical Klopp player. He made it work nonetheless there.

What I also don´t see in him is much development. Sure, he got a little bit more clinical in front of the goal but that already started in his last season at Dortmund. If I compare the current Götze even on his strong days with the one, who put a struggling Dortmund side on his back and carried it for a good dozen games at the End of 2011, I don´t see much difference. Some may even say he reverted back in his level.

It´s a damn shame, because if you would have asked me two or three years ago where would Götze stand at the age of 21, I would have placed him a good deal higher than he is right now. He can still be world class if he gets his consistency back, but he had the potential to become the best offensive midfielder in the world and that I don´t see anymore. Maybe he proves me wrong. I still think he would have benifited more from staying under Klopp´s wing for one or two additional seasons, though.

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
It's such a shame that so many players are injured for this world cup, Falcao, Ribery, Strootman, Costa, Suarez?, Gundogan.

I'm sure Gundogan would have shined for Germany if he was fit, that guy was something special last season, now it's looking like he will never play again.

Carter99

Löw is so poor with his tactics. Germany will never win a title with him.

I still have no clue why he thiunks Götze can play upfront. I cant remember a single game where he did great playing false 9.

Müller right now is the only choice to play upfront. He has that natural instinct to find the net.
With Klose being injured i can see him only coming off the bench.

Boateng showed that he is still overrated. He has some good actions but he always (Bayern and NT) has that one or two big mistakes that lead to goals most of the time. He clearly showed that he isnt a RB yesterday.

I dont know what happened to Özil, but he sucks since he joined Arsenal. In that form he shouldnt even make the 23 Men Roster, but he will probably start every game...

Kroos has to stop just passing back and beside him and slowing down the pace. He is not a good match with Khedira, because they both lack speed.

Khedira shouldnt be in the Starting XI anyway but probably will start every game for Löw.

With that Defense i dont see Germany making a big splash. They will have a hard time getting out of their group.

The only impressive Players right now are Reus, Hummels and Müller. They clearly need a healthy Lahm to shut down the Wingers.

Right now they should start with this XI.

-------------------------------------------Neuer----------------------------------------------

-----Lahm-------------------Hummels-----------Mertesacker---------------------Durm

---------------------------------Kroos----------Schweinsteiger---------------------------

------------Reus-------------------------Götze------------------------------Schürrle/Podolski

------------------------------------------Müller----------------------------------------

Podolski and Schürrle would be a 50/50 toss but i would start Podolski because Schürrle showed that he has Joker abilities.

First subs would be Klose, Khedira, Özil, Schürrle/Podolski
On Defense: Boateng, Schmelzer, Höwedes

Lyricist

Löw is so poor with his tactics. Germany will never win a title with him.

I still have no clue why he thiunks Götze can play upfront. I cant remember a single game where he did great playing false 9.

Müller right now is the only choice to play upfront. He has that natural instinct to find the net.
With Klose being injured i can see him only coming off the bench.

Boateng showed that he is still overrated. He has some good actions but he always (Bayern and NT) has that one or two big mistakes that lead to goals most of the time. He clearly showed that he isnt a RB yesterday.

I dont know what happened to Özil, but he sucks since he joined Arsenal. In that form he shouldnt even make the 23 Men Roster, but he will probably start every game...

Kroos has to stop just passing back and beside him and slowing down the pace. He is not a good match with Khedira, because they both lack speed.

Khedira shouldnt be in the Starting XI anyway but probably will start every game for Löw.

With that Defense i dont see Germany making a big splash. They will have a hard time getting out of their group.

The only impressive Players right now are Reus, Hummels and Müller. They clearly need a healthy Lahm to shut down the Wingers.

Right now they should start with this XI.

-------------------------------------------Neuer----------------------------------------------

-----Lahm-------------------Hummels-----------Mertesacker---------------------Durm

---------------------------------Kroos----------Schweinsteiger---------------------------

------------Reus-------------------------Götze------------------------------Schürrle/Podolski

------------------------------------------Müller----------------------------------------

Podolski and Schürrle would be a 50/50 toss but i would start Podolski because Schürrle showed that he has Joker abilities.

First subs would be Klose, Khedira, Özil, Schürrle/Podolski
On Defense: Boateng, Schmelzer, Höwedes

Calling Löw poor and in return wanting Podolski to start, perhaps the least talented player on that roster bar Großkreutz and Schmelzer doesn't really go together.

Kroos and Schweinsteiger do not work together. You're asking how Löw can play Kroos and Khedira together because they don't match well and are both insanely slow (despite having played together basically ALL of qualifying). Then you switch Khedira with Schweinsteiger who is even slower than Khedira and plays almost exactly like Kroos. Kroos and Schweinsteiger next to eachother in CM hasn't worked out in the big games for Bayern, it didn't even really look all that great in the small games, and I hope they don't start alongside eachother. We'd have basically no defensive cover from CM at all.

You call out Boateng for making stupid mistakes in defense because it's a common thing to say when in reality Hummels has made just as many crucial mistakes for club and country. (vs Shakhtar, vs Real, vs Italy, ...) Boateng yesterday showed he isn't a RB, indeed. But over the last 2 years I'd say he was the best German CB. It should be either Hummels or Mertesacker who are on the bench. Lahm at RB, Durm at LB.

You say Özil plays like shit currently, which I agree he does. But name me a single game for Germany where Götze looked to be dominating a game. People say Özil plays bad and ask for Götze yet Götze hasn't really shown much for Germany aside of coming of the bench and scoring, or a solo run vs Azerbaijan or Kazakhstan or whatever country it was.

It saddens me to see Müller having to leave the right flank, but it might have to be if Volland isn't fit for starting up front. I hope Löw gives him a chance.

Carter99

Im not a Fan of Podolski but he showed poise and heart yesterday. He's a veteran and showed that he can play the big WC matches. I would start Schürrle aswell but he seems to be better coming off the bench.

Draxler will probably get cut so he isnt a choice here.

Götze and Özil both played pretty poor for the NT the last couple of months but Götze atleast has that scoring threat that Özil completely lacks. Götze is also playing better at the 10 Positions instead of False 9.

I agree that Schweinsteiger isnt a good Matchup with Kroos aswell but they lack depth on the position. Kramer isnt a Starter. Khedira and Schweinsteiger are both hurt but i may trust Schweinsteiger more IF he shows to be fit. Khedira isnt providing much help for the Defense aswell (another Poster already said this). He is a good tackler in Midfield but he isnt chasing down Forwards or Strikers up to the goal.

Müller needs to play upfront. Klose is clearly miles away from being fit. Volland looks like he could be cut and even if he makes the squad i doubt he will play much. Götze is wasted on the False 9.

Of course you could also play like this

-----Reus ------------Özil ----------Götze

----------------------Müller-----------------

But none of those players do anything for the Defense. Podolski knows that he has to work for the Defense aswell. Götze, Özil and Reus all lack a proper body that can stand a fight.

Götze and Özil together didnt work so i would only play one.

For Hummels. I dont know what game you saw but Hummels made some crucial tackles to stop players. He also made some good opening passes that lead to goal chances. He has some playmaker ability and is usually extremely reliable. All CB are outplayed every now and then but i trust Hummels way more than Boateng who sometimes isnt up for the game. Mertesacker and Boateng provide nothing in opening up the game. They can only play the short pass to the CM.

JackJebb

Solid debut from Durm. Should be taken to Brazil. Draxler likely not to be selected in the final 23 man squad.All those hype around him seem to have affected him.Only 3 Bundesliga goals, Ginter and Mustafi are probably the three players Löw is going to cut. I would drop Schmelzer , And Keep Draxler and let him get some experience.

Given your defensive/Midfield problems I'd like to see this:

Boateng - Mertesacker - Hummels - Durm
Lahm - Khedira - Schweini
Gotze - Muller - Reus

IMO this is a great formation for counter-attacks.

Lyricist

Im not a Fan of Podolski but he showed poise and heart yesterday. He's a veteran and showed that he can play the big WC matches. I would start Schürrle aswell but he seems to be better coming off the bench.

Draxler will probably get cut so he isnt a choice here.

Götze and Özil both played pretty poor for the NT the last couple of months but Götze atleast has that scoring threat that Özil completely lacks. Götze is also playing better at the 10 Positions instead of False 9.

I agree that Schweinsteiger isnt a good Matchup with Kroos aswell but they lack depth on the position. Kramer isnt a Starter. Khedira and Schweinsteiger are both hurt but i may trust Schweinsteiger more IF he shows to be fit. Khedira isnt providing much help for the Defense aswell (another Poster already said this). He is a good tackler in Midfield but he isnt chasing down Forwards or Strikers up to the goal.

Müller needs to play upfront. Klose is clearly miles away from being fit. Volland looks like he could be cut and even if he makes the squad i doubt he will play much. Götze is wasted on the False 9.

Of course you could also play like this

-----Reus ------------Özil ----------Götze

----------------------Müller-----------------

But none of those players do anything for the Defense. Podolski knows that he has to work for the Defense aswell. Götze, Özil and Reus all lack a proper body that can stand a fight.

Götze and Özil together didnt work so i would only play one.

For Hummels. I dont know what game you saw but Hummels made some crucial tackles to stop players. He also made some good opening passes that lead to goal chances. He has some playmaker ability and is usually extremely reliable. All CB are outplayed every now and then but i trust Hummels way more than Boateng who sometimes isnt up for the game. Mertesacker and Boateng provide nothing in opening up the game. They can only play the short pass to the CM.

Podolski had an off game where he seemed better than the rest of the team. You could tell he wasnt scared of going in hard, and risking dangerous tackles. That's what set him apart yesterday, his aggression. The other players were simply scared of getting injured because there's been so much talk about all the injuries lately.

But with the current roster, NO WAY should Podolski be a starter for Germany. It cannot happen. He's so limited. International fans left and right are asking how he even still makes the squad. No way should he start.

Draxler will probably get cut indeed and he probably should too. He's been very average all season. If he cuts Volland though I'll lose a bit of faith. Volland isn't necesserily better than some of the other players although I rate him very highly. But he is the only real striker in the team aside of Klose (even if he has played on the wing lately). He cannot be cut, yet everything is possible with Löw. Seeing as Klose isn't fully fit, how stupid was it of Löw to not even include Gomez in the 30-squad at all.

Your point about Götze is absolutely based on your own opinion, it lacks any actual backing by the facts though. Do you realize Özil was Germany's top scorer in qualifying? Despite Özil sucking in lots of games I don't think Götze has anything but hype so far to prove that he should play a leading role in the team. Obviously he is a prodigy, there's been so much hype, but have his best games for the national team really been that spectacular? No! Özil's best games though have been very much spectacular. I'm not saying I want him to start. In an ideal world we might be looking at a 3 man midfield with Kroos, Gündogan, and one out of Schweinsteiger, Bender, or Khedira right now with Özil on the bench. But I doubt Götze has proved to be more of a player for the national team than Özil.

About the cm position, too bad Gündogan, and both Benders are injured. They'd have been great options for cm. Now one of the positions where one year ago we were stacked seems to be a bit of a problem.

I don't think your argument that none of Müller, Götze, or Reus defend really works. These are players who brought their team to the CL final and all of them have shown a great deal of determination in their pressing and tracking back for their clubs. It's more a question of if Löw will make sure they follow their instructions or not. But again, Podolski cannot start over these player. He's just not good enough.

Hummels had an okay game, I wasn't talking about yesterday. I like him, but he wasn't spectacular last night either. Still there's no denying that Hummels has these mistakes in him just like Boateng. Hummels gets more hype than Boateng, the most of any CB in Germany, it's been that way since 2009. But he has screwed up in important times a lot just like Boateng. I think he's great great player though and so is Boateng when he's at his best. Hummels playmaking abilities are indeed amazing for a CB but the fact that you're saying Boateng doesn't offer anything for the possession game just shows you don't pay a lot of attention to him. Boateng, like Hummels sometimes, often plays hard direct low passes straight up the field. I remember a 6 min youtube video of him with just his playmaking that had over ten thousand views. Sadly the channel got taken down so I have no proof. But Boateng is a good passer of the ball from deep.

Carter99

I know that Özil scored a lot in the Qualification.

3x against Faröer Islands (1 Penalty)
1x against Austria (1 Penalty)
2x against Irland (1 Penalty)
2x against Sweden

so out of his 8 goals 3 were penalties.

3 of those 8 games were against the massive side of Faröer Islands.

Most goals were scored early in the qualification which was the year 2012 when he was a top player.

Right now he just doesnt have the goalscoring threat. (As seen yesterday in Minute 1).

I know that Podolski is limited and im not a fan but im not sure about all those young soft players (except Müller).

I hope that Klose can play so we can play atleast with

-----Müller--------------Götze/Özil--------------Reus

-----------------------Klose---------------------------

Of course Gündogan would have been great. And atleast one of the Bender Brothers. But right now CM is a weakness. Kroos, Khedira and Schweinsteiger all lack speed and the direct pass and goal scoring threat but Khedira in my opinion is just not ready to start a WC after his injury.