Germany at World Cup 2014

maze

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
howdy. i thought i'd try to be a good citizen and open my first thread in the mainsies.

so here we go. ze german national team it is.

actual content starts now:

löw has nominated the following 30 players for his preliminary WC squad:

GK: Neuer, Weidenfeller, Zieler

Defenders: Boateng, Hummels, Mertesacker, Höwedes, Lahm, Schmelzer, Großkreutz, Jansen, Ginter, Mustafi, Durm, (Lars Bender)

Midfielders: Lars Bender, Draxler, Götze, Khedira, Kroos, Müller, Özil, Podolski, Reus, Schürrle, Schweinsteiger, (Lahm, Großkreutz, Ginter)

Strikers: Volland, Klose, (Müller, Podolski, Götze, Reus)

- - -

EDIT 02JUNE /////////////////////////////////

the final WC squad consists of 23 players.

Defenders: Boateng, Hummels, Mertesacker, Höwedes, Großkreutz, Durm, Ginter, (Lahm)

Midfielders: Schweinsteiger, Lahm, Khedira, Kroos, Özil, Reus, Müller, Götze, Schürrle, Podolski, C. Kramer, Draxler, (Großkreutz, Ginter)

Strikers: Klose (Müller, Götze, Podolski, Reus)

////////////////////////////////////////////

things that spring to mind:

- who on earth picks ron-robert zieler over leno or ter stegen?

- lahm: RB or DM? (-> großkreutz as regular RB?)

- which CB pairing? (couldn't name two favourites atm)

- which DM pairing? (-> general lack of actual top form?)

- WHY ARE THERE NO TOP LEFT BACKS OF GERMAN NATIONALITY? I MEAN, MARCELL JANSEN? SERIOUSLY? WHAT NAME IS MARCELL ANYWAY?

- reus over özil as #10? (i know it won't happen. but one can dream)

- where or what is thomas müller's position on the pitch exactly?

- any other players you would have picked, and if so, instead of whom?

and what would be your first XI?

Last edited:

Bwuk

I have no idea how they will line up, but looking at that squad I'd go with

Neuer
Lahm Hummels Mertesacker Schmelzer
Schweinsteiger Bender
Gotze Kroos Reus
Muller​

maze

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
@a_devil_inside : there's an overwhelmingly present german angst going around that they will indeed bottle it once again, due to the lack of great management under löw and his fellows and the unsolved riddle that is, for example, the german DM department. plus the somewhat mind-boggling vibe doing rounds in the bayern camp, with lahm, kroos and schweinsteiger being nowhere near usual top form. and whoops there's no experienced striker but one: an elderly, completely unreliable miroslav klose of 2014, made of glass, who played what felt like 8 games this season. löw's second striker, hoffenheim's highly sought-after kevin volland, as great a talented young player as he is, has not proven himself beyond bundesliga level, but still: kudos to löw for nominating volland, who's also the captain of germany's u21.
max kruse from gladbach would have been a close call, too, but he's been struggling for months now, so yes, kevin volland it is.
schalke's raw diamond-level gems max meyer, 18, and leon goretzka, 19, seemed overly exhausted during the last weeks, after a season that saw both of them grow into regular first teamers with A LOT of minutes, so please god may they rest during the summer and come back in form next season. amen.

whether this is some typical form of nit-picking negativity from a very privileged position or actually comprehensible criticism may be seen in the near future. i for one can see them go out in the semis. tops. löw and lahm then stating how well the team had performed while it was a very unfortunate result, mumble mumble injuries bad luck yada yada.

Last edited:

NoPace

Neuer
Schweinsteiger Bender
Gotze Kroos Reus
Muller​
I'd probably go with Boateng instead of Mertesacker for pace alone, but otherwise this team makes a lot of sense.

How is Low actually expected to play?

Blackwidow

- who on earth picks ron-robert zieler over leno or ter stegen?

Ron-Robert Zieler has been part of that team a lot in the recent 2 years when Leno and Ter Steegen where still playing the U21- and U19-team. He is no overwhelming goalkeeper and Leno or Ter Stegen might even be better, but he is very relieable and had not too much plunders in his appearances in the first team like e.g. Ter Stegen did. They know him and he seems to klick very well with the team - and that might be more important in 6 weeks together as being 5 percent better. We are talking of the 3rd keeper.

- lahm: RB or DM? (-> großkreutz as regular RB?)
Hopefully Khedira makes a record comeback and is in form. It is still 4 weeks to go to the first match and if we want to get World Champion the first 2 weeks should not be our most important matches... I would like to see Lahm as a right back. Without Khedira I prefer him in defensive midfield.

- which CB pairing? (couldn't name two favourites atm)
That topic is difficult. It think Mertesacker with Hummels could be a problem as both want to be the boss. So either one of them with Boateng.

- which DM pairing? (-> general lack of actual top form?)
Khedira + Schweinsteiger/Kroos depends on Schweinsteiger's form

- WHY ARE THERE NO TOP LEFT BACKS OF GERMAN NATIONALITY? I MEAN, MARCELL JANSEN? SERIOUSLY? WHAT NAME IS MARCELL ANYWAY?
Schmelzer had a lot injury problems this season and Durm is a right foot who is a newbie. That is why Jansen is in the 30-man-team. He is a left foot what makes sense if we have a left wing where all but Podolski are right footed speed dribblers that draw to the inside. I remember that Höwedes once played the left fullback and he could not bring in one cross. If Löw likes Durm and Schmelzer gets of his problems Jansen will stay at home.

- reus over özil as #10? (i know it won't happen. but one can dream)
Reus as a number 10? Sorry - that is a nightmare. Germany is no counter attacking team. We could play that style more 4 years ago when we were more of an underdog. But no team will let us play like this. And then Reus is not the one with the best technical and creative abilities. He even looses the ball very easy - in the middle of the pitch that is very dangerous. A pressing style in the way Dortmund does it will not work with the climate in Brazil. I know that Reus seems to be the biggest muppet in that forum. But if you take away his set-pieces and the situations he was fouled for a penalty he has a lot less assists from open play than the other offensives have. Only because things work in Dortmund where Klopp takes a lot to study his systems and runnings does not say that a player can work that in a more open system like in a national team where you do not have the time. You should have seen that with Kagawa...

- where or what is thomas müller's position on the pitch exactly?
In the national team - on the right wing and anywhere. Sometimes he holds the wing, when he leaves it and plays a hanging striker somebody else like Khedira or Özil fills in - or Lahm is positioned very high. His job is the right winger or an additional forward (hanging striker). Until now Löw thought that he was too important in his role on the right wing to sacrifice him as a striker. When we play with a false Nine like Götze he will partly play a mobile Nine in addition. Müller is a "pain in the ass" for any opponent if he has the freedom to roam. Löw - with exception of the Euros - gives him that freedom.

Fourth goalkeeper - hopefully we do not need him there. The Dutch have scored a couple of goals against him on Saturday and celebrated it... (I hope that little boy learns to use his right foot...)

- any other players you would have picked, and if so, instead of whom?
Not really. Some shout for Gomez or Kießling - but Gomez has not scored a goal for the national team since 2012 and looked out of place in that team whenever he played - and he has hardly played in his club this year for injuries and still will not play a match for his club anymore this season. And Kießling - 3 goals in 15 CL matches and 1 in 11 Euro League matches says all. He does not match the style either - and he did not really show the right mentality in World Cup 2010. Kruse - does not offer anything different than the other players in the team do. He does not have any international experience and does not offer the same scoring quality. Sidney Sam - had a good start into the season until October - since then he often was injured and only was decent. And he does not match into the system too good. Like I told before - the left wing is occupied by right footed speed dribblers who go to the inside with Reus being the first choice. With Sam you would mirror that. That is why a Kevin Volland who is like Müller a right winger hanging striker mixture might even be better when e.g. you take Müller as a forward. Both could switch positions. If Poldi were the left winger you could use Sam - but we want to win and not just be mediocre...

Expected team:

Neuer
Lahm (Großkreutz) - Boateng - Hummels - Schmelzer
Khedira (Lahm) - Schweinsteiger
Müller - Özil - Reus
Klose or Götze

If Götze plays the Forward or F9 position I expect the 4 (Müller, Özil, Reus, Götze) to change positions a lot.

Neuer
Schweinsteiger Bender
Gotze Kroos Reus
Muller​
Mertesacker would be the right one of the Hummels/Mertesacker pairing.

Schweinsteiger on the 8 and Kroos on the 10 - please do not. That combination lacks the dynamic. That is why Thiago at Bayern seems so important... - so that we just have one of the dynamic duo on board. You need a lot energy in the forward positions to get movement into that formation - and that with the climate problems...

Last edited:

mic.m

likes to be nude when popping out baked brownies
I have a feeling this current generation will always be a nearly there team. Good enough to reach the semis or even a final but unable to cross the line and become champions. For starters they lack a quality cf which is why Klose is most likely to start for the 4th World Cup. They quality in midfield and wide and their defense is decent. What they lack is a game changer. Their trump card is that noone quite understands where/how Muller plays. We jus know he'll feature a lot and score important goals.

Ruht

Don't think Klose will be a starter, he won't last long in that climate. Not to mention he hasn't played nearly enough this season. I think Low will start with one of Gotze/Muller upfront and the other on the wing, with both interchanging positions all the time. Klose is going to be used as a sub mostly in my opinion.

I really can't guess the line-up, it all depends on where does Low see Lahm play. If it's at RB, and it should be, I just hope he doesn't go with Scweinsteiger-Kroos at DM, this would be a disaster. Ozil is most probably nailed on to start as the #10 as well, don't see him being dropped to be honest.

Kazi

Their squad is probably the best in world, but I just can't see them winning it. Reus is their only player capable of providing a moment of magic when they need it. But I don't think that's a huge problem. They're missing something but I can't quite put my finger on it. Ozil is also undroppable in the number ten spot for Low, and he has the knack of going missing when the pressure is on. Most won't agree with what I think Germany's strongest XI is:

Neuer
Lahm Boateng Hummels Schmelzer
Schweinsteiger
Muller Kroos Gotze Reus
Klose

Germany always look like more likely to score when Klose's on the pitch. Kroos and Scweinsteiger in the middle hasn't work in the past, but it's usually due to the roles they're given. Kroos is always asked to sit deep while Schweinsteiger is the one who pushes forward. Their roles needs to be reversed. Kroos needs to be given the freedom to roam as he play-makes. But, it's more likely to be the usual 4-2-3-1 with two players holding the midfield and not one.

Zen

Don't think Klose is gonna be starting. Fully expect the interchangeable Reus/Ozil/Muller/Gotze as the top 4. If he was going to start a striker, he wouldn't have only taken 2, and then put one on the possible to be dropped list. And that's if he isn't intent on throwing one of his favourite players Khedira straight back in, which opens up Kroos in that possible 4.

Skorenzy

The talent is there. However, the likes of Spain and even Brazil have far more balanced squads. And more experienced managers.

thejtrain

Argh, I'm reminded of Guardiola often when I think of Germany. I should forget the Bayern connections - as long as they don't bore us off in the name of tiki-taka, I can't come to dislike them. They have got a really good squad, one that can surprise the likes of Spain/Brazil on their day.

Zen

Brazils squad sucks, second round exit. F workmanlike Brazil.

eddiebb

gobshite
Is it just me or is there something missing with this German squad? I want to say there is something wrong but I cant put my finger on it.
That they're basically becoming like Arsenal - a squad full of small quick technical attacking midfielders and not a great deal else?

Blackwidow

Is it just me or is there something missing with this German squad? I want to say there is something wrong but I cant put my finger on it.
That they're basically becoming like Arsenal - a squad full of small quick technical attacking midfielders and not a great deal else?
I think both Müller and Reus do not really match in that category so much as they both are very direct players. Both do a lot decisive goals, too. I do not think that around 25 goals in all club competitions is too bad for offensive midfielders... And Müller has a Müllerinstinct - goals do not have to be pretty... We only had a hand full of striker goals in the qualification.

I am not scared because of the offensive part of the team. I have problems with the offensive/defensive balance. Khedira for me is very important. He is a real fighter - I value him the most in the more difficult matches. Like Stokes on a Tuesday rainy evening. He ain't really into goal scoring - but when he did we laid behind or it was important ones...

There is Lahm and Neuer. And if they have normal days our defenders and usually in tournaments (in the time between the tournaments it always was different) are good ones.

ManniKaltz

Re: Jansen: I see where you're coming from, @Blackwidow, and in recent years, I would have understood. This season, however, I wouldn't. Jansen has recently been even more seriously injured than Schmelzer, and he had a really poor season with HSV. It would be typical for Löw to take him to Brazil but in my - of course totally unbiased :cool: - humble opinion this would be a big mistake.

Easy-peasy: Löw and his lack of tactics are wrong.

We won't win it I'm pretty certain of that. Not with our unstable defense and lack of a world class striker or at least a good one.

On top of that I don't trust Löw making the right tactical calls.
I wouldn't subscribe that we have an unstable defense as it sounds as if we wouldn't have good players in that department.

We don't have a manager who's capable of implementing a solid defending concept. As long as Löw keeps on publicly bashing our defenders when in fact it's the likes of Özil, Khedira & all the other midfielders who abruptly stop running as soon as they are dispossessed or otherwise lose the and just watch relaxed from far how the opposition overruns their mates in the defense line, we won't win anything under Löw.

maze

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
in a hilarious attempt to display the utmost amount of incompetence, the german team had agreed to play a friendly against poland, tonight that is. due to the not-so-inexpectable fact that literally all dortmund and bayern players will be rested for their upcoming cup-final clash, löw will have to field a b-team, which is in fact a c-team slash extended u21. if somebody may enlighten me on what step towards brazil that is, please feel free to do so. i don't get it. one can just hope that there was no other possible date, like, at all.

zieler - höwedes, mustafi, ginter, c. günter - goretzka, l. bender - hahn, m. meyer, draxler - volland

it's a great young team though, and it could be a fun match, but still.

anchan1989

@a_devil_inside : there's an overwhelmingly present german angst going around that they will indeed bottle it once again, due to the lack of great management under löw and his fellows and the unsolved riddle that is, for example, the german DM department. plus the somewhat mind-boggling vibe doing rounds in the bayern camp, with lahm, kroos and schweinsteiger being nowhere near usual top form. and whoops there's no experienced striker but one: an elderly, completely unreliable miroslav klose of 2014, made of glass, who played what felt like 8 games this season. löw's second striker, hoffenheim's highly sought-after kevin volland, as great a talented young player as he is, has not proven himself beyond bundesliga level

whether this is some typical form of nit-picking negativity from a very privileged position or actually comprehensible criticism may be seen in the near future. i for one can see them go out in the semis. tops. löw and lahm then stating how well the team had performed while it was a very unfortunate result, mumble mumble injuries bad luck yada yada.
Yeah. But many Germans are afraid before any world cup or euro. The media thinks that negative stories sell better and so on.
I cant wait for the world cup and I think that we are favorites. Klose was ready in 2010 after an ok season with Bayern, he will be this time. He is a pros pro.
My Bayern guys has a few "bad" weeks. But in many of these matches they rested themselves and in Madrid we were in the game.
Götze as a false 9, Miro or Volland. Reus. Anyone. Goals arent a problem for us.
And I respect your Löw view, but I think that he is a great coach who brought us to new heights, with modern football and great ideas. I trust him. And then; who else is in Brazil?
The host nation with crazy pressure and a squad with holes and a 22! year old leader. That could go bust.
Spain missed the trick to bring new blood in. Thiago wont be fit and neither a starter.
Ronaldo is the best now. He is just....wow. But in 2014 no player can drag a ok team to the title. Too much depth.
France shaky. England old and tired after the long PL season. Italy is good, but the spine of Pirlo and Buffon isnt getting younger.
I feel very good and just want to start. Hope to be there a few days. Buzzing.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
in a hilarious attempt to display the utmost amount of incompetence, the german team had agreed to play a friendly against poland, tonight that is. due to the not-so-inexpectable fact that literally all dortmund and bayern players will be rested for their upcoming cup-final clash, löw will have to field a b-team, which is in fact a c-team slash extended u21. if somebody may enlighten me on what step towards brazil that is, please feel free to do so. i don't get it. one can just hope that there was no other possible date, like, at all.

zieler - höwedes, mustafi, ginter, c. günter - goretzka, l. bender - hahn, m. meyer, draxler - volland

it's a great young team though, and it could be a fun match, but still.
I think it's a great idea actually. Why should Löw sit around and do nothing, waste a whole week instead of working with the few players that are available? I'm sure, it's great for the young players who will be part of the world cup squad. The coaching staff can prepare them for the next weeks without the regulars around, make it easier for them to find their place in the squad and players like Volland or Ginter need as many games as possible in case they actually play in Brazil.

Blackwidow

@Manni Kaltz

Do not blame Khedira for that as matches like the one against Sweden did not happen with him. The worst is the combination of Schweinsteiger + Kroos with Özil.

About Jansen - he played better than Schmelzer did in recent matches for the German team.
I think it's a great idea actually. Why should Löw sit around and do nothing, waste a whole week instead of working with the few players that are available? I'm sure, it's great for the young players who will be part of the world cup squad. The coaching staff can prepare them for the next weeks without the regulars around, make it easier for them to find their place in the squad and players like Volland or Ginter need as many games as possible in case they actually play in Brazil.
Maybe we should point out who is missing:

Defenders: Boateng, Hummels, Mertesacker, Höwedes, Lahm, Schmelzer, Großkreutz, Jansen, Ginter, Mustafi, Durm

Midfielders: Lars Bender, Draxler, Götze, Goretzka, Hahn, Khedira, Kroos, Meyer, Müller, Özil, Podolski, Reus, Schürrle, Schweinsteiger

Strikers: Volland, Klose

The 18 underlined + 2 of Schmelzer/Durm/Jansen + Zieler will for sure be part of the 23-World Cup-Squad...

There is just 2 places left - and one should be for a central defender.

maze

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
i managed to watch the complete match against poland. löw introduced 12 new players. that's it. most nonsensical match ever. and it wasn't even entertaining. not even in the slightest. but hey, it's over and nobody got injured!

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto

Neuer
Schweinsteiger Bender
Gotze Kroos Reus
Muller​
If that happens, I wonder how often in an international tournament has a national team used players of only two teams?

Blackwidow

If that happens, I wonder how often in an international tournament has a national team used players of only two teams?
Four teams - it would be Leverkusen's Lars Bender and Mertesacker from Arsenal. It will probably be only members of Bayern, Dortmund, 1 or 2 Arsenal players and maybe one Real or Leverkusen player. The majority will come from Bayern or Dortmund. Atleast 8 players will come from this two teams.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Four teams - it would be Leverkusen's Lars Bender and Mertesacker from Arsenal. It will probably be only members of Bayern, Dortmund, 1 or 2 Arsenal players and maybe one Real or Leverkusen player. The majority will come from Bayern or Dortmund. Atleast 8 players will come from this two teams.
Aye thanks. Totally missed Mertesacker in there and got the wrong Bender. Nothing new about that then, Portugal must have had 8 or 9 Benfica+Sporting players in 66 and certainly plenty of other teams throughout history had similar numbers.

maze

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
löw has dismissed leon goretzka, marcell jansen, andré hahn und max meyer, all of whom will not join the upcoming training camp.

so what löw did was the following: nominate marcell jansen, then less than a week later, he dismisses him without having seen a single training session of neither jansen himself nor his competitors for the LB spot (schmelzer, durm).

Last edited:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
löw has dismissed leon goretzka, marcell jansen, andré hahn und max meyer, all of whom will not join the upcoming training camp.

so what löw did was the following: nominate marcell jansen, then less than a week later, he dismisses him without having seen a single training session of neither jansen himself nor his competitors for the LB spot (schmelzer, durm).
Managers are allowed to change their minds, perhaps he simply decided he'd go with the braver choice and pick Durm ahead of him? It was the obvious choice anyway to pick Durm and Schmelzer. Schmelzer himself has had injury problems this season, last thing you want to do is take another injury risk in the same position!

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Managers are allowed to change their minds, perhaps he simply decided he'd go with the braver choice and pick Durm ahead of him? It was the obvious choice anyway to pick Durm and Schmelzer. Schmelzer himself has had injury problems this season, last thing you want to do is take another injury risk in the same position!
It's still very very strange. Really nothing happened that could have changed his opinion about Jansen, Schmelzer and Durm since last week. Unless Jansen is injured of course, but as far as I know, he's expected to start tomorrow in the relegation playoffs.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
It's still very very strange. Really nothing happened that could have changed his opinion about Jansen, Schmelzer and Durm since last week. Unless Jansen is injured of course, but as far as I know, he's expected to start tomorrow in the relegation playoffs.
As I say though, perhaps he's just decided that it's too much of a risk. You would certainly think he'd come to that conclusion before he announced the squad mind you.

Pretty obvious now that Durm and Schmelzer are the LB choices. Schmelzer first choice with Durm as backup I presume, following the format of Dortmund.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
As I say though, perhaps he's just decided that it's too much of a risk. You would certainly think he'd come to that conclusion before he announced the squad mind you.

Pretty obvious now that Durm and Schmelzer are the LB choices. Schmelzer first choice with Durm as backup I presume, following the format of Dortmund.
I still expect that only one of those 2 will be part of the final squad.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Considering that Özil will play 100% under Löw, this would be my lineup:

----------------------------------- Neuer -----------------------------------------

Großkreutz --------- Hummels -------------- Mertesacker/Boa ------------ Schmelzer/Durm (idc tbh both are no topclass)

--------------- Lahm ----------------------------- Schweinsteiger -----------------

Müller ------------------------------ Özil ----------------------------------- Götze

----------------------------------- Reus ----------------------------------------

But Löw will field a team more like this:

----------------------------------- Neuer -----------------------------------------

Lahm --------- Boateng -------------- Mertesacker ---------------- Schmelzer/Durm

--------------- Khedira :lol: --------------------------- Schweinsteiger ------------

Götze ------------------------------ Özil ----------------------------------- Reus

----------------------------------- Müller ----------------------------------------

I could even see Löw benching one of Götze or Reus to bring Schürrle or Klose. :lol:

My personal opinion is that Reus in his current form should be our absolute key player going forward. He is the by far best german player (offensively) right now and could carry the team all the way. But on the left side his talent is kinda wasted because he don't get into the game as he can when he is playing in the centrum. Also i prefer Hummels as CB because he is a playmaking CB. Could be worth a lot. I dont really care if Boateng or Mertesacker play, but Löw absolutely loves Mertesacker and dislikes Hummels so both of them will play.

Kroos will probably be benched either way (again). Maybe he could play instead of Khedira, but that is very unlikely because Löw loves Khedira and Kroos + Bastian didn't work out well for Bayern recently. Müller's best position is on the right side (where he can't play for Bayern because of Robben). But as a lone striker he is lost most of the time.

PS.: Btw why we never tried out Podolski again as a lone striker? It worked very well for him before he got moved to the left side.

Last edited:

maze

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
i second this man. my exact thoughts on the matter.

Lyricist

I'm with Balu, I don't see why both Durm and Schmelzer have to be in the squad.

RB:
Lahm, Großkreutz, Bender (Boateng)

LB:
Schmelzer/Durm, Großkreutz (Boateng)

Lets say one out of Schmelzer and Durm is the starter at LB then Großkreutz could easily be the backup. L.Bender could still be on the bench as RB backup. Schmelzer and Durm would be two players who can ONLY play the LB position, both aren't exactly world class, so it would basically be a waste to give two squad places to them.

Neuer, Weidenfeller, Zieler

Boateng, Hummels, Mertesacker

Lahm, Großkreutz

Kroos, Schweinsteiger, Khedira, Bender

Reus, Müller, Özil, Götze, Schürrle, Podolski

Klose, Volland

3 squad places left:
-> 1 for either Schmelzer or Durm
-> 1 for either Höwedes, Ginter, or Mustafi
-> 1 for either Kramer or Draxler (a 7th OM might not be needed, but another option in DM could be useful)

Höwedes could be another option at FB but he's not that great there.
Ginter can play DM too so that'd make room for Draxler instead of Kramer. But I'm not sure if Ginter really is that great at DM either.
Kramer could be the S.Bender for Germany this time around (from the bench though)...he runs a lot and is a type of CM that the other CM options are not. Lars is not Sven, he's more of an alrounder, Khedira often bursts forward when playing for the national team and he's just coming back from a long injury, and Kroos and Schweinsteiger are too similar to play together. I really think one of Ginter and Kramer could be very useful.
I've only seen Mustafi a few times really but his passing ability was great each of those times. But I don't think he plays any other positions so that might work against him!
Draxler would only be a part of the team because he can be great in the future. Lets be honest, is season was kinda shit and he's not better than any of the OM choices bar maybe Podolski. Taking him would simply help his further development, it'd make it easier for him to play a bigger role in the future. He might still have a special moment after coming on but I'm not sure if that's all that likely.

btw:
thanks for allowing new members to post in this forum, I've been hoping so bad for this to happen.