Germany at World Cup 2014

Basa1987

Quick question to you guys: How on earth does Podolski continue getting selected? Is he like the German version of Valencia or does Low have some plans for him to play up front as a last resort?

Lyricist

Löw has loved him for ages, same with Klose.

Basically all of Germany (aside of Cologne fans) wanted Podolski out ages ago. He has still been selected every time and scored in every tournament that Löw selected him in. So by now I think we all know that he does provide a bit of effectivity...that's basically it though. But I think most Germans have accepted the fact he will once again go to Brazil anyway, no matter who else has had a good season. That "don't-care-anymore-mentality" and the fact he's always scored in the big tournaments is the reason why there's no outrage about him being part of the team.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Quick question to you guys: How on earth does Podolski continue getting selected? Is he like the German version of Valencia or does Low have some plans for him to play up front as a last resort?
Positive influence in the dressing room, which is probably more important than most of us believe. And I don't think Schürrle and Draxler are really significantly better already, more talented yes, but far from consistently great. As long as he doesn't start, I don't see anything wrong with Podolski going to Brazil.

maze

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
i too wouldn't rate draxler's season any higher than podolski's, despite the huge gap in play time. poldi is a cool lad, lacks defensively, but still: he has the right mentality, which is a rare thing in this squad.

Blackwidow

Positive influence in the dressing room, which is probably more important than most of us believe. And I don't think Schürrle and Draxler are really significantly better already, more talented yes, but far from consistently great. As long as he doesn't start, I don't see anything wrong with Podolski going to Brazil.
None of them has been better. And as you have it - he is a positive element in the dressing room and very experienced. You just do not win anything only with the young and talented players - or just artists. He will not be in the starting formation - but if e.g. Reus gets injured and Klose would not be available I would prefer him to all other options as a starting player on the left. Schürrle is the better substitute when the opponent already is tired but very wasteful... All that hype about Draxler in the recent two years did not do him any good - Meyer is already stealing him the show at Schalke.

Lyricist

A striker who is anything as good as any of their midfielders.

What's Gomez's level these days?

Gomez has missed about 7 months due to injury this season. I personally think Löw has used his injuries as a cover up for not wanting to take him in the first place. Despite scoring a lot, Gomez has always looked kind of out of place in the national team due to the playing style. Löw has never really given him the confidence he's needed and neither has the German media/public. When Gomez had his greatest games in 2012 against Portugal and the Netherlands Löw still decided to give playing time to Klose in some other games which surely must have put Gomez off a bit. This time around I think Löw just doesn't want to be forced to select Gomez again who simply offers nothing bar scoring (which is quite important though obviously :P).

Maybe Volland will be able to surprise some people. He's certainly got the right fighting spirit, a good drive, and the ability to produce something special. It'll be interesting to see what he can do next to players like Reus, Özil, and Müller.

Last edited:
Reactions: KM

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Gomez has missed about 7 months due to injury this season. I personally think Löw has used his injuries as a cover up for not wanting to take him in the first place. Despite scoring a lot, Gomez has always looked kind of out of place in the national team due to the playing style. Löw has never really given him the confidence he's need and neither has the German media/public. When Gomez had his greatest games in 2012 against Portugal and the Netherlands Löw still decided to give playing time to Klose in some other games which surely must have put Gomez off a bit. This time around I think Löw just doesn't want to be forced to select Gomez again who simply offers nothing bar scoring (which is quite important though obviously :P).

Maybe Volland will be able to surprise some people. He's certainly got the right fighting spirit and he's got a good drive. It'll be interesting to see what he can do next to players like Reus, Özil, and Müller.
I completely agree, Gomez stuck out like a sore thumb for both Germany and Bayern. Even though he scored a lot, his lack of involvement in the build-up play goes against the strengths of the team and Low's tactics.

Basa1987

i too wouldn't rate draxler's season any higher than podolski's, despite the huge gap in play time. poldi is a cool lad, lacks defensively, but still: he has the right mentality, which is a rare thing in this squad.
Why do you think this has come to pass though? Typically German teams of the past have had that grit and iron-will ingrained in them (even the un-fancied 2002 WC squad) but nowadays the team seems to strut their stuff while steamrollering easier opposition but fail against the first tough opposition they come across (Argentina being the notable exception in both WC's 06 and 10). Basically, they have become the International version of Arsenal. Is this due to changes in the coaching setup of the team or is this due to a change in the mentality of this generation of players?

I read somewhere that compared to past teams German teams nowadays are a lot less homogeneous due to the inclusion of players with different national backgrounds and footballing instincts. Is this also a factor?

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
I think he is not safe to go to Brazil. It will be a fight between him and Draxler. I would take Podolski, because im from Cologne :D and i think he could be an option up front. He did very well there before he got moved to the left side (as for Cologne before he moved to Le Arse) and im wondering why we didn't try him out there since we have no real striker. Also he offers a lot to the team as a character. He is a nice guy who makes a lot of fun. Could be good for our teamspirit.

bastip92

I think Podolski offers a bit more directness in comparision to most of the other german players. If the possesion game doesn't work you have a plan B with him and Reus at least.

OutlawGER

Supports
A striker who is anything as good as any of their midfielders.

What's Gomez's level these days?

Gomez was injured almost the whole time 2(!) seasons in a row. He didn't play at all for Bayern in his last season (injuries + Mandzukic) and was injured the whole season in Italy too. So he has no level at all these days. Sad stuff though.

i second this man. my exact thoughts on the matter.
You mean me? :D

Lyricist

Why do you think this has come to pass though? Typically German teams of the past have had that grit and iron-will ingrained in them (even the un-fancied 2002 WC squad) but nowadays the team seems to strut their stuff while steamrollering easier opposition but fail against the first tough opposition they come across (Argentina being the notable exception in both WC's 06 and 10). Basically, they have become the International version of Arsenal. Is this due to changes in the coaching setup of the team or is this due to a change in the mentality of this generation of players?

I read somewhere that compared to past teams German teams nowadays are a lot less homogeneous due to the inclusion of players with different national backgrounds and footballing instincts. Is this also a factor?

I don't think that's really true either though.

In 2010 Germany comfortably beat England and Argentina, and despite being a bit demoralized they still beat Uruguay in the game for 3rd place. They lost to a team with a lot better individuals in 2012. Looking back the international media thought Germany's squad wasn't great at all before the tournament. Remember the famous "would any of the German players get into the English team?" Considering that Germany did very well.

In 2012 Germany beat Holland, and Portugal but in the end lost to Italy due to a HORRIBLE line up by Löw. But losing to Italy is not something that is exclusive to the current generation, past German teams have NEVER beat Italy in a game that mattered for anything.

Also that football instinct thing sounds stupid to me because ALL the German players (same as many of the American and Turkish NT players) learned to play the game in Germany. The German players that do partly have a foreign background still have lived their lives in Germany.

OutlawGER

Supports

So this is why Le Arse bought so many germans recently. :lol:

You can see it at Bayern too when they lost the CL 2012 against Chelsea for example or their games versus Arsenal and City 2013 at home. It is a change of mentality of this generation. We have no real personalities anymore, just some kind boys from the neighboorhood. I think it is because of the media and clubs. They made this generation quiet. Our last real personalities were Ballack and Frings.

And yes, the conclusion of other nationalities, such as Podolski and Özil for example, with different mentalities is a factor aswell.

Watz

löw has dismissed leon goretzka, marcell jansen, andré hahn und max meyer, all of whom will not join the upcoming training camp.

so what löw did was the following: nominate marcell jansen, then less than a week later, he dismisses him without having seen a single training session of neither jansen himself nor his competitors for the LB spot (schmelzer, durm).
Isn't the rule that if a player gets injured you have to pick one from the provisional squad? If so that would explain why he picked Jansen and then didn't include him in the squad for the training camp.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
They're my favourites. Anything can happen in the tournament, 1 second can decide a game. So I wouldn't say 100% them.
Yeah, I wasn't talking "literally". If their squad is a little better I would have had them as favorites.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
How is Klose still in that squad? He must be ancient by now.

heub

klose? i thought he retored four years ago.

imagine him breaking ronaldos record! how many goals does he need?

ctp

Klose has 14, Ronaldo 15. I hope he does it. One of my favourite players ever.

Reactions: Eboue

heub

Klose has 14, Ronaldo 15. I hope he does it. One of my favourite players ever.
thats awesome. klose hasnt done anything on club level for ages, but he has to be one of the best international players ever.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Forgot Klose was only one off the record. Hopefully he can do it.

justboy68

Honestly I'm really not seeing it with this German team. They have a really good midfield but that's about it, and even then Spain's is better. They are really lacking a striker too and their defence seems average at best for a German side. Still one of the best sides in it obviously and capable of going all the way but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them come up short against another powerhouse team, even Italy again.

MikeMango

It's between them and Brazil, but Germany are the favorites to win it imo.
I'm pretty sure that wont happen.

It's kind of strange. Since we are loaded with top players, our team has lost it's organization. I'm feeling that Löw doesn't know how to use all these excellent players and to join the tactics of Bayern and Dortmund. It's difficult to describe, somewhat confused I would say.

Ruht

I could even see Löw benching one of Götze or Reus to bring Schürrle or Klose. :lol:
Don't even joke about that :D

Not convinced about Khedira, he has time to get back some form until the start of the WC but he still missed a good chunk of the season. Schweinsteiger seems to be struggling with injuries again although it doesn't seem to be serious for now. Wouldn't be surprised to see Lahm at DM really.

MikeMango

Don't even joke about that :D

Not convinced about Khedira, he has time to get back some form until the start of the WC but he still missed a good chunk of the season. Schweinsteiger seems to be struggling with injuries again although it doesn't seem to be serious for now. Wouldn't be surprised to see Lahm at DM really.
I agree.
Schweinsteiger has problems with his knee again. Khedira may not be ready for the big stage. So Lahm ist the only top player for this position, who is currently in good shape.
And Großkreutz wouldn't be the worst rightback.
I also think thats why he kept Kramer.

Lyricist

Schweinsteiger will miss the Cup Final this weekend for sure and might not get fit in time for the World Cup.

The media says "unfit for Cup, doubtful for World Cup"

:nervous:

Kroos and Khedira to start anyway :P

seriously though,
- Khedira just came back after being out for 6 months
- Schweinsteiger might not make it
- Gündogan hasn't played in a year almost
- Sven Bender is out injured

- Lars Bender has had a rather average season for his standards

- Kroos is fit

CM is the position I saw the least problems with about a year ago...now it's looking quite thin.

NoLogo

Kroos and Lars Bender seems like the only reasonable solution atm if Schweinsteiger really is out as well.

If he doesn't get fit for the WC it would be really bad for us considering that Khedira has missed most of the season and has no game practice atm.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Kroos and Lars Bender seems like the only reasonable solution atm if Schweinsteiger really is out as well.

If he doesn't get fit for the WC it would be really bad for us considering that Khedira has missed most of the season and has no game practice atm.
If Schweinsteiger isn't fit, it's definitely Lahm in midfield and Großkreutz rightback. There's no way around it, in my opinion.

NoLogo

If Schweinsteiger isn't fit, it's definitely Lahm in midfield and Großkreutz rightback. There's no way around it, in my opinion.
I don't know. Removing Lahm from the right FB position isn't really something I would like to see happening. Großkreutz isn't bad but Lahm is one of the best in the world in that position.

Lyricist

Tbf, Kroos + L. Bender is probably still better than a lot of other CM pairings. They're just untested together and not the medias' darlings in Germany, so them starting together sounds rather odd right now.

It could certainly work, Kroos is a world class cm and Bender would have to play a bit like his brother does in Dortmund...but it's definitely going to lead to our midfield being underrated if it happens.

Aside of that I'm pretty sure Löw wants to start Khedira...

Kroos + Khedira might've started anyway.

Lets see what happens with Schweinsteiger first, nothing is certain yet.

I don't know. Removing Lahm from the right FB position isn't really something I would like to see happening. Großkreutz isn't bad but Lahm is one of the best in the world in that position.
What Nologo said, I hope Lahm starts at RB. We can't have both fullback sides weakened. Add to that average players who turn into great Dortmund fullbacks don't work under Löw. I'm pretty sure starting both Schmelzer and Großkreutz would harm the team too much.

Lyricist

So why not call up Sven then?

I know he's now injured, but..

He's been out since February...now he's not on the 30 players list and surely isn't fully fit.

Calling up Sven = calling up Schweinsteiger/Khedira...

Löw only called up Khedira cause he puts a lot of trust into him and because he's been around. Sven has never played a big roll and there's no way Löw will call up 3 half fit (if at all) CMs (Sven, Khedira, Schweinsteiger).

gofelx

Supports
Hamburgers

I know he's now injured, but he seems to doesn't getting call-ups even when he's fit.
Sven is not good enough for the National team in my opinion. Also he's injured right now.

I think Lasogga deserved a call up. The fact that he was not even in the 30 man squad is odd imo.

Blackwidow

I know he's now injured, but he seems to doesn't getting call-ups even when he's fit.
He was always called up. He probably would when he would not be injured. But he just always seems to be injured...