Gerrard: Chelsea make me realise that paracetamol tastes like smarties

bbest

The Caf's worst songwriter
Gerrard: Chelsea move had me popping pills
tribalfooball.com - August 14, 2006

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has revealed he swallowed painkillers "like smarties" as he considered leaving Anfield for Chelsea last year.

In his autobiography, to be published next month, the Liverpool skipper describes the trauma of turning from hero to villain in supporters' eyes and paints a stark picture of the toll it took on his mental well-being.

"Madness broke out," he said. "I was sitting dazed at home, watching the TV, and when I saw fans burning an old No 17 shirt by the Shankly Gates, it did my head in. Show some respect. Don't you know how this is tearing me apart?

"Dad begged me not to go, but I replied, 'look at the TV, fans are burning my shirt, the club aren't stopping them, Liverpool don't want me any more'.

"I stared at the TV through flowing tears. I was suffocated by stress. My head was banging, and I was eating paracetamol like Smarties.

"It was the lowest point of my career. I broke down. Panic breakdown. Complete mess. Could I hand in that Liverpool armband? Could I look the father I adore in the eye again?

"Could I let the Kop down? No. I couldn't jump over the edge of the cliff. I could see the great possibilities of Chelsea, but my heart wouldn't let me leave.

"Finally, my mind was made up. At 11pm that night, on July 5, 2005, I called my agent to tell Rick Parry (Liverpool's chief executive) that I wanted to sign.

"My heart stopped racing, and I put the paracetamol away. The following morning, I awoke with a smile on my face for the first time in weeks."

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=8039

Reddish

:lol:

People fall for it. There are actually human beings who are thick enough to read this and think "Wow, he really had a bad time"

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Red Til I die said:
:lol:

People fall for it. There are actually human beings who are thick enough to read this and think "Wow, he really had a bad time"

Closer to the truth in my opinion was this.

Despite winning the CL, Gerrard was not convinced by the style of play, nor the quality of signings that Benithez had produced so far.

Gerrard believed at the time that Liverpool should be signing one or two BIG names in order to challenge for the title.

This is why he wanted to join Chelsea. He felt it represented his best chance to complete his medal collection, and go on to win more European cups.

I think he was genuinely shocked at the level of hate and vitriol his transfer request triggered. I also believe that certain undesirables made certain threats to members of his family and friends and this got filtered through to him.

In the end, i think he made the correct decision to stay at the vermin, and annoyingly, it will turn out to be a successful one as well.

The squinting world class scouse cnut. ;)