Giggs appointed new Wales manager

Andersonson

Swansea is a Welsh club?
Yeah I missed that one. You're correct!

Mainly it's like any player who is of multiple nationalities in their immediate family, just like some players get the choice between Scotland and England or Ireland and England. Being so closely linked for many many years and geographically attached to each other, it's always very likely that either a parent or a grandparent can be Welsh or English, you'll find that, with your example, Ashley Williams who' was our captain for the 2016 Euro's, was born in England and his only tie to Wales was his maternal grandfather. Now Williams is a good player, but lets be honest like you say, he isn't gonna be first choice centre back for England, nevermind captain, he gets that chance with Wales because our team just isn't generally as good, mainly because of the insane population differences and how poor Wales is compared to England. So yes you will find most players that are not generally Welsh, either do it for two reasons;

1. They are of a standard lower than what is in the England setup, and they will get more gametime and chances in the Welsh setup
2. Even if they were born in another country they feel more of an affinity with Wales as a country and therefore choose to play for us

There are all sorts of rules that enable players to do this, like spending most of their school years in Wales or England and other factors to
Thanks for a great answer, cheers.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Yeah I missed that one. You're correct!

Thanks for a great answer, cheers.
just to add to the other answers, part of it will be population size also. I think Wales have about 3mill to England’s 50, so there’s a lot of players who will have Welsh heritage and who have a shot with Wales while not making the English standard

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
How's his tactical approach like ? Is he ready to take over a PL side ? I know these things aren't straightforward but still what do you see from him ?

Craig Ward

Coleman had something great going and made good progressive choices, i was gutted when he left, especially for such a poor job choice in Sunderland.

Giggs initially didnt inspire me as a Welshman, but i was willing to give it a chance. Giggs obviously has great football knowledge, has achieved everything and worked under the best manager and played with the best players. Wales has done well with former players turned managers so it was an appointment that made sense (Hughes/Speed/Coleman).

What Giggs has done is build on Coleman's foundation. He's kept the "together stronger" mentality and blooded more youth throughout the team. Wales's biggest strength is that willingness to put 110% in and play with full bodied commitment regardless. Even Bale, the superstar from Real Madrid buys into this. It embodies the message "playing for the shirt".

Giggs seems to have a knack for getting the best out of players, making players rise to the occasion and out in performances each and every game. While we are blessed with real quality through areas of the squad, Ramsey, Bale, James, Ampadu, Brooks he's made real international players out of Moore, Roboerts, Lockyer, Rodon, J.Williams.

So far - no complaints from me. Giggs has got the boys playing well and winning games. Can't wait for the Euro's!

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
I have watched just couple of games of Wales since Giggs taken over, that too not full 90 min and it includes yesterday's. Also hardly watched them before he took over so I am not in position to comment on impact he has had. But, I have read people saying he has got them playing well, team plays with different attacking patterns but I didn't see much of it yesterday. Now I know the squad quality is also a factor but didn't see anything which gave feeling that coaching/tactics has elevated this team and that the manager Giggs with better player will be doing lot better.
Since all this is based on very small sample size for me, can someone point me to one of those good in-depth analytical articles on tactics or even youtube videos of his team? I love the guy and really want him to make a name as manager and want to see in detail the positive impact he has brought.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Won't get the credit but he laid the foundations for this qualification.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
What happens if he's found not guilty? Does he just walk back into the job, despite the fact that Page has led them for the past two years and guided them through qualification?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He's still technically the manager, isn't he? Bit weird
Any clue when the trial is? I read somewhere ages back it was supposed to be in January but obviously didn't happen with the backlog of cases.

Missing out on two opportunities to manage them in major tournament will certainly sting whatever the outcome of this is.

SirAF

Ageist
Any clue when the trial is? I read somewhere ages back it was supposed to be in January but obviously didn't happen with the backlog of cases.

Missing out on two opportunities to manage them in major tournament will certainly sting whatever the outcome of this is.
August

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Not surprising considering Page has been in charge this entire cycle

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Done an exceptional job getting them to the World Cup but it definitely feels like the right time considering he’s a piece of shit human that did next to nothing in terms of managing them to World Cup qualification.

Eriku

Done an exceptional job getting them to the World Cup but it definitely feels like the right time considering he’s a piece of shit human that did next to nothing in terms of managing them to World Cup qualification.
Which is it? :lol: