Giggs' final meeting as Manchester United's caretaker manager

sosolid4u09

This reminds me of the teamtalk options in FM....."go out there and do it for the fans".

Can't believe how realistic that game is!

Foxbatt

Managers don't rant before a match in the team briefing in a hotel. The only geeing up comes just before you get out or at half time. A lot of times, it is a one to one very small brief too.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Watched the Giggs clip having read all the comments.

Expected It to be a lot worse than a mere 45sec clip, in a calm team meeting, where he sounded much better than a lot said!

That said, he's very much a lead by experience/influence type than a shouting motivator.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Surely the fact there's a camera in the room is a reason to be more animated, not less. A documentary is being made, fans will be watching it, why stifle all this natural charisma that presumably bursts out when they get into their kits and into the dressing room?

I cant imagine SAF talking like this to a room full of players whether he was in a hotel, a changing room or an airport lounge, whether his audience were wearing suits, tracksuits or birthday suits, and regardless of whether the cameras were rolling or not. In my experience some people have a natural ability to captivate an audience, others do not, and while people will obviously dial it right up when the situation demands it, they dont often intentionally dial it down to this extent either. Because it is very rare it is advantageous to bore the living shit out of people.

I agree this is not conclusive evidence that he "doesnt have it". But it is one piece of evidence. Its not irrelevant.
I could imagine Giggs thinking, there's a camera here, I best not come across like some yabbering clown, meaning if anything he slowed it down, and was very careful with his words.

Giggs86

I want to see one of those from LVG, especially one in which he was drunk. Could be a good laugh.

Captain Obvious

This guy just doesn't have any charisma or charm. I wouldn't give it all if his boring ass "old man at the bus stop content with life" voice was leading me into a match.

Hope he never comes near the Utd job, terrible human being, unproven manager, great player when he was young.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
This guy just doesn't have any charisma or charm. I wouldn't give it all if his boring ass "old man at the bus stop content with life" voice was leading me into a match.

Hope he never comes near the Utd job, terrible human being, unproven manager, great player when he was young.
Jesus you are a drama queen.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Nope, take off your united tinted glasses, theres 0 class or anything special about him (apart from being a great player). Shagging your brothers wife is also a cnuty thing to do
He just got his first job as a manager. He is not angling for the Man Utd job anytime soon. What if he is brilliant at Wales? Let him do his thing. Yeah, he was a dick in his personal life, but you seem to take it too personally. Hopefully, you weren't affected personally by his sex drive

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
I don't think a manager has to be angry or expressive or anything else all the time. He can be calm and calculated and get results too, it's just down to how he plays to his strengths. That said we've got no reason to believe he has any tactical abilities.
I'd love to see Giggs do well with Wales personally, just no idea if he will.

Captain Obvious

He just got his first job as a manager. He is not angling for the Man Utd job anytime soon. What if he is brilliant at Wales? Let him do his thing. Yeah, he was a dick in his personal life, but you seem to take it too personally. Hopefully, you weren't affected personally by his sex drive
I dont think im allowed to say on this forum but my family and his brothers side are connected so i think i believe family rumours over watching football interviews

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
I dont think im allowed to say on this forum but my family and his brothers side are connected so i think i believe family rumours over watching football interviews
There is no reason to doubt your post. Please accept my apologies and I understand your apathy towards Giggs than the many other doubters in this thread.

IBleedRed

likes to use pantyhose
It didn't sound great and Giggs didn't exactly set the room on fire, but it's hard to judge or comment when we have very little with which to compare this against. What did his other talks look like, what do other manager's talks look like, what do they look like at halftime when their backs are up against a wall, what does it look like when the cameras aren't around? Very few, if any of us, have seen enough of these to make an educated analysis.

dogwithabone

I don’t see too much worthy of slating Giggs in the team meeting clip but a lot of times in TV interviews he doesn’t come across all that well and I can quite see how he hasn’t, as we are led to believe, interviewed well for one or two managerial jobs.

He seems to speak a bit off the cuff and seemingly without clarity and a clear vision. I don’t sense a prescence with Giggs, you don’t get the impression a room will suddenly fall silent the moment he walks in.

I have my doubts about him managerially.

m1tch

Think about the circumstances here. We're at the end of a complete shit storm of a season, there's nothing left to play for. Are people expecting Giggsy to be whipping them up into a frenzy or something. Ridiculous, virtually baseless criticism.

diplomat

Wow, this is the first time I've seen this and it was breathtakingly epic! Even if it is scripted, the way Mourinho expressed and relayed the emotions through the words and body language, it shows he is a true master orator.

Eire Red United

I suspect the more traditional motivational speech is delivered in the dressing room before a game away from cameras.
I’d hope so for his and the Wales players sakes. That’s fecking brutal, if my manager made that speech I’d feel like going home.

TsuWave

some people caught serious emotions off this :lol:

man i was just surprised at how flat it was, regardless of it being a dead rubber at the end of a bad season, that's not how i imagined a manager at premier league level would speak to their players. not even the messaging, the delivery was just poor, it was kind of a hard watch really, maybe he's just not a great speaker or perhaps my expectations and assumptions regarding this stuff set me up for disappointment, but considering some of the responses here and on twitter, i'm not alone.

it's all right though.

spwd

You’re completely missing the point. It’s not the fact it wasn’t an incredible speech, it’s the fact it only needed to be a brief word and yet he still managed to make a meal out of it, struggled to string three sentences together and sucked the life out of it.

If you can’t see just how poor that very very basic delivery was, it’s you that likely has little experience of these things even at amateur level. Despite being a bit of a simple debriefing, it was a real struggle.
Completely agree, whatever is said, surely it’s better to inspire the players than bore them to death and drain the life out of them, he sounded like he does when hes doing punditry, just saying key phrases like “We have players that are good on the ball” etc

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Think about the circumstances here. We're at the end of a complete shit storm of a season, there's nothing left to play for. Are people expecting Giggsy to be whipping them up into a frenzy or something. Ridiculous, virtually baseless criticism.
I at least expect him to talk clearly without err and ums....

Especially when he knows he's on camera, especially when he knows he has 4 match to impress, it's just a simple generic line and he still don't get it right. But somehow he's supposed to be a football genius....

Let's compare him to gary, to the very least gary is quick and precise with whatever he's saying, clarity in his English, and it looks like he knows what he's going to say and structure it well. Giggs is really like a rabbut in the limelight.

More will be shed when he manages wales and there'll be interviews etc. Let's just wait and see, but he really has little gravity as a leader of man

vangagal

Especially when he knows he's on camera, especially when he knows he has 4 match to impress, it's just a simple generic line and he still don't get it right. But somehow he's supposed to be a football genius....

Let's compare him to gary, to the very least gary is quick and precise with whatever he's saying, clarity in his English, and it looks like he knows what he's going to say and structure it well. Giggs is really like a rabbut in the limelight.

More will be shed when he manages wales and there'll be interviews etc. Let's just wait and see, but he really has little gravity as a leader of man
He was never be a leader when he was playing. It was Robbo, Cantona, Keane, Gary, Rio, Vidic, Evra that rightly outshine him as captain in his time here. You could argue at his latter year he was captain out of seniority but he never struck me as one. Take a look at Rio's vlog when he recorded prematch team talk in Carrick's testimonial. Even it was just a testimony but SAF killing it with simple " Don't lose it,, don't bloody lose it". You could wonder how Giggs out of all players under Fergie cannot pick one or two things from the great man how to handle a team talk. For the glimpse of it its not bode well for Giggs. That was just bland if not bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Penna

spwd

I agree, but wtf :lol: (bolded bit)

RooneyLegend

I have my doubts about him managerially.
Seems none of Sir Alex's players are destined to be great coaches/managers. There seems to always be something missing. Some lack the charisma, others lack the tactical nous, others lack the acceptance of the direction the game is moving in.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
Agreed. Can’t stand the boring prick. To think it was his devine right to be handed the job when LVG was sacked too.

Bellamy should have been offered the Wales job, most Wales supporters hate Giggs too.

He won’t be in management long anyway. No club will touch him with a barge pole when the inevitable happens.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
His first Wales press conference was a joke too.

It looked as if any old fan was dragged up and was forced to speak in front of the media. Like a dear in headlights.

Can you imagine what Scholes would be like? Blimey.

red4ever 79

Agreed. Can’t stand the boring prick. To think it was his devine right to be handed the job when LVG was sacked too.

Bellamy should have been offered the Wales job, most Wales supporters hate Giggs too.

He won’t be in management long anyway. No club will touch him with a barge pole when the inevitable happens.
Feel the same way about Giggs and it pains me to say it being Welsh and just a couple of years younger. Growing up he was my idol, posters on the wall, going to watch the games at OT and then talking non stop about him on the bus home. However as he and I got older I found out like everyone else that he is a horrible human being and a p*ick. He destroyed his legacy as far as I am concerned.

BigBebe

I remember when Giggs used to be interviewed as a player, he had a strange glass-eyed look, not quite looking at the interviewer, not the camera but sort of staring off into the middle distance. When you see videos of him talking to his friends of course, he is very different.

Jesse Lingard is a little bit similar when he is in front of a camera - his head is more jerking around as he again fails to make eye contact with the interviewer - all the time repeating the Rooney-esque 'very much so' mantra whenever asked a question. Again, Jesse is very different when you see him with his mates.

Giggs, in that video, is very stilted and unnatural.

I can't help but wonder if they are all a result of media training gone wrong.

Oscie

I remember when Giggs used to be interviewed as a player, he had a strange glass-eyed look, not quite looking at the interviewer, not the camera but sort of staring off into the middle distance. When you see videos of him talking to his friends of course, he is very different.

Jesse Lingard is a little bit similar when he is in front of a camera - his head is more jerking around as he again fails to make eye contact with the interviewer - all the time repeating the Rooney-esque 'very much so' mantra whenever asked a question. Again, Jesse is very different when you see him with his mates.

Giggs, in that video, is very stilted and unnatural.

I can't help but wonder if they are all a result of media training gone wrong.

It's one of the reasons why I cannot stand when the television companies after a match decide to interview the players before the manager. Almost without exception it's just a series of memorised and robotically delivered cliches.

togg

Public speaking is a skill, learned like any other. The more you do it, the better you’ll get. Can’t be certain that a charismatic speaker at one of these meetings would get a better outcome on the pitch but Giggs is obviously a dreadful public speaker, which isn’t ideal if part of his job is to speak to large groups of people and inspire them to buy into his “philosophy”.

I guess that his reputation as a player makes it easier for him to get players on board than a manager who achieved less as a footballer but might be a better orator but he can’t rely on that indefinitely. If things are going south (as they were when that was recorded) and the players are doubting the leadership team then this deficiency in his managerial arsenal could be a real problem for him. I hope he’s been working on it, for his (and Wales) sake.
Agreed. To instil passion, determination, hunger, confidence, unity is a skill that I believe is a vital ingredient to not only being a great manager in football, but in all walks of leadership. As you say, the thing Giggs has going for him is his legacy which puts him a few rungs up the ladder in terms of gaining a genuine respect and making people listen. However, that only goes so far, because in moments when a team needs a rousing, energising comment that hits the mark (Ferguson half time comment in 99 CL cup final) you need a depth of sincerity, heart and belief in your voice that is unequivocal. It can be learnt, in time, and one would hope that this is something he will seek help with.

Oscie

No one charactaristic (or lack of) is the difference between being a great manager and a poor manager. On paper Keane should have succeeded, he was a leader on the pitch. Doesn't work like that. This being said, even as captain Giggs never came across as particularly inspiring, or particularly much like a leader on the pitch. He got the armband by default of seniority at a time when, post-Keane, the manager was probably careful about the power-balance in the dressing room.

Of course it's not an exact science and I'm sure there's lots of examples of players who came across as quiet and reserved on the pitch going onto have great success in management, but if you were to identify players from 1989 - 2013 who'd played for us who you'd think had a decent chance of doing well as a coach then Giggs would be near bottom of my list.

Lentwood

How can anyone defend that lol?

I’ve listened to Giggs talk hundreds of times, never once have I heard him say anything insightful, witty or has he demonstrated any kind of charisma at all

It’s not the fact it wasn’t full of great tactical insight. It’s not the fact he didn’t scream or crack jokes. It’s the fact it sounded like a Sunday League manager who had run out of ideas and felt mildly embarrassed about the whole thing!

Nikelesh Reddy

I apologise if there has already been a thread about this, I searched but couldn't find. I just saw this video and I'm shocked at how flat/dead it all was. Was this supposed to rally the troops?

I hope he's come leaps and bounds from that because I don't see that boding well for the Wales national football team.
I can distinctly remember Anders lindegaard telling the press that “The players were awe struck by Giggsey’s first team meeting”,and he even said that Giggs could be the next Guardiola!But anyways,I think it’s a bit unfair to judge him on that 1 speech,lets see how well he performs for Wales....

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Whipping them up into a frenzy and showing passion is exactly what I expect from him under these circumstances.

It would have been meetings like this that would have been his audition for the full time job.

Revaulx

I really couldn’t care less about the lack of passion. They’re all sat there in suits; it’s obviously some time before the match. Getting them pumped up can be left till later.

It’s the lack of content and the tired cliches that’s alarming. He seems to come alive at the bit about fecking Liverpool and City, something that he’s obviously really bothered about!

Anyway, good luck to him with Wales.