Give it Ole until the end of the season...

Lentwood

Said this in a couple of threads now but be interested to hear other opinions.

OK, so we've been here before...and as much as I had hoped to limp on with EtH until Ashworth was in-place, it's now become clear we're going to get embarrassed on a global stage with his crazy kamikaze football against City at Wembley.

The opportunity to win major trophies doesn't come around that often, we can't just throw away whatever chance we do have....so....let's give it OGS until the end of the season.

Now I know Ole, with zero trophies in England, might not be the obvious "gun for hire" to win a one-off match but think about the positives...

1. He knows the club inside out and would slot straight in, hitting the ground running.

2. He knows the players, half of them played under him (Dalot, AWB, Maguire, Varane, Lindelof, Bruno, Martial, Rashford + Mainoo and Garnacho were in the Academy)

3. He has a really good record against Pep with his low-block, counter attack with split forwards.

4. His football is very simple and easy to play so wouldn't require a bedding-in period.

5. The fans would get right behind him as a club legend...come in for four games and go for the trophy he probably deserved as United manager.

6. Some of the players might feel they owe Ole something, given how it ended and throw everything behind him for four games.

It's the perfect solution in my opinion, I don't know what else is viable at this point.

There isn't time to bring in anybody who hasn't worked here before as even the simple logistics like getting to grips with the facilities, the schedules and the squad would take a week or two.

Dare I say, it even crossed my mind to bring SAF back for four games...but he was never a coach, somebody would still need to do the coaching, so doesn't really solve the problem...could we have SAF as 'manager'* and Ole as 'Head Coach' for four weeks?

*not to actually do anything per se, simply to show up on cup final day, stand in the changing room, sit in the dugout etc...

Crazy its come to this...

BuzzKillington

It could honestly not go any worse than how it will if we leave EtH in place. He’s a dead man walking at the moment and everybody knows it. I’d take literally anybody else right now.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ole should not be anywhere near the club in managerial capacity. Even for a few games. Both managers bombed here. Just get it right in the summer.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
6. Some of the players might feel they owe Ole something, given how it ended and throw everything behind him for four games.
Agree with most of this bar this point. These mercenaries won't give a shit as long as they're getting paid (bar a few).

SuperSub81

Said this in a couple of threads now but be interested to hear other opinions.

OK, so we've been here before...and as much as I had hoped to limp on with EtH until Ashworth was in-place, it's now become clear we're going to get embarrassed on a global stage with his crazy kamikaze football against City at Wembley.

The opportunity to win major trophies doesn't come around that often, we can't just throw away whatever chance we do have....so....let's give it OGS until the end of the season.

Now I know Ole, with zero trophies in England, might not be the obvious "gun for hire" to win a one-off match but think about the positives...

1. He knows the club inside out and would slot straight in, hitting the ground running.

2. He knows the players, half of them played under him (Dalot, AWB, Maguire, Varane, Lindelof, Bruno, Martial, Rashford + Mainoo and Garnacho were in the Academy)

3. He has a really good record against Pep with his low-block, counter attack with split forwards.

4. His football is very simple and easy to play so wouldn't require a bedding-in period.

5. The fans would get right behind him as a club legend...come in for four games and go for the trophy he probably deserved as United manager.

It's the perfect solution in my opinion, I don't know what else is viable at this point.

There isn't time to bring in anybody who hasn't worked here before as even the simple logistics like getting to grips with the facilities, the schedules and the squad would take a week or two.

Dare I say, it even crossed my mind to bring SAF back for four games...but he was never a coach, somebody would still need to do the coaching, so doesn't really solve the problem.
There is no way on earth OGS would come back to manage the same players that threw him under the bus the first time round. If i was Ole, my phone would be switched off until June.

davidmichael

I’d honestly give Ole or Jose the job til the end of the season even if it is just for a few games, Ole’s record against Guardiola is good and plays to our counter attacking strengths whilst Jose’s record in finals is brilliant and you know he wouldn’t allow us to be so easy to play through even if it would be a hard watch.

Ricardo de la Vega

I literally cannot believe people want Ole back. He was the worst manager the club has ever had.

Red Star One

Sir Alex is 82, can we give this man a break and not suggest he needs to come back to save us? Time to move on

tomaldinho1

Genuine madness. The worst cup manager we've had I would think off the top of my head.

If we're doing an interim just go for Mou or LVG purely for the press conferences.

Wilt

No thanks!

Never again do I ever fecking want to hear “Ole’s at the wheel”

Lentwood

Sir Alex is 82, can we give this man a break and not suggest he needs to come back to save us? Time to move on
Read the post though...its in a very watered-down, figurehead role - almost ceremonial.

I don't expect him to actually DO anything per se...and I get how crazy it is btw...but what options do we have at this point?

I did think Jose, and saw it advocated by TalkSport, but I feel he's too divisive and he's openly criticised the players too often.

RedDevilQuebecois

Ole deservedly got booed after that shitshow in Watford. It was a divorce and there is no way back for him.

black country red

He’s quite a fit 82 very sharp minded there’s a hgv driver comes in my work he’s 82 so your not necessary on nodding terms with the grim reaper

Devil77

I am all for it. Can’t get any worse and it has the potential of a fairy tale ending for Ole (and the club). Everyone expects us to lose the final anyway.

Revan

Assumptionman
No.

But would like to give it to Keane.

Thinking more about that it would probably be something like: City is ahead 2-0 at half time, Keane giving a pep talk threatening players, calling them bottlers and cowards, probably hitting Lindeloff. The match finishes 6-0. So after all, not a great idea.

The clear solution is to give to McLaren the remaining 4 matches and then choose the perm in the summer.

Lynty

I'd take Ole back for next season if I'm honest.

We're finishing 5th-8th place regardless who's in charge next season, there's so much shit to sort out. No decent coach should be going anywhere near us at present. It's impossible to turn this around in one summer.

Lets spend a year sorting out the wage structure, culture, facilities, scouting, transfers, medical team, sport science department and anything else we're so behind the curve with. Streamline the squad and build towards bringing in best in class for 25/26 once we can believably sell the narrative of the start of of successful project (or see how McKenna is getting on).

Tuchel is currently the best option and to be honest, it feels like settling and we know he'll likely be gone in two seasons.

Oranges038

Insane suggestion.

Almost as bad as giving Jose another run.

May as well get Big Ron on the blower and let him have another bash at it.

Ricardo de la Vega

I'd take Ole back for next season if I'm honest.

We're finishing 5th-8th place regardless who's in charge next season, there's so much shit to sort out. No decent coach should be going anywhere near us at present. It's impossible to turn this around in one summer.

Lets spend a year sorting out the wage structure, culture, facilities, scouting, transfers, medical team, sport science department and anything else we're so behind the curve with. Streamline the squad and build towards bringing in best in class for 25/26 once we can believably sell the narrative of the start of of successful project (or see how McKenna is getting on).

Tuchel is currently the best option and to be honest, it feels like settling and we know he'll likely be gone in two seasons.
There's nothing wrong with taking a punt on a young manager like McKenna. We really don't have much more to lose. If it works it works, if not, sack him after two years and we'll go in another direction. Again. We're on the carousel at the moment and I guess we have to throw enough shit at the wall to make some of it stick.

Robbie Boy

Anyone who would take any post-Fergie manager back - even as a very short-term interim - is a) fecking bonkers and b) hasn't learned a single thing from the past 11 years.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Not necessarily Ole because he's already used his morale boost, but the same idea yeah. Maybe he'd be able to get them up for a cup final. Something has to happen though, it is insanity to go into the cup final with ten hag.

Ricardo de la Vega

Can you think of anyone else but Ole?
Giggsy.
But seriously, I would appoint Tuchel in a flash, Amorim if we could get him, Alonso but obviously not going to happen, de Zerbi even though he's had a rough time recently, I think Potter would probably still be an upgrade at present. I would only want to avoid Southgate like the plague tbh.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I literally cannot believe people want Ole back. He was the worst manager the club has ever had.
I criticised Ole plenty, but that's not true. In terms of points per game over his time here (which is the best way of judging consistency), he was better than both Moyes and LVG, and ETH needs to win at least one of the remaining four games this season (which seems fairly unlikely at the moment) to stay ahead of him.

Jamie Shawcross

No, no, no. Firstly, if you take the red tinted romantic specs off, Ole was a complete disaster the first time around. What does it say about this club if we see him as the answer, even if it is temporary? Let's face it, we could bring in God himself and it wouldn't stop City thumping us in the final. Some of us are in absolute dreamland here. This team and this club deserves absolutely nothing from this season, and sorry to be blunt but you are nothing short of delusional if you think we stand a chance/deserve anything. I actually think it would be bad for our season for us to somehow by some miracle snatch the FA Cup. It might give this awful collection of players false belief and embolden their arrogance. What will happen, is we will limp to the end of the season, and get put in our place by City, and if the club has any sense we will sack ten Hag the moment the final whistle is blown. There is no sense nor logic in sacking him now. For all his shortcomings, the least he deserves is to see out the final he got us to.

God knows what we do in the summer.

Bwuk

I’d do it until the summer without thinking about it. We might get a bounce out of the players until then.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I loved Ole but we basically bombed the guy and his staff out last time - why would he want to put himself through that again? Just for 4 games as well, so not as if he gets a run to audition all over again. The last match being a probable drubbing against city. Bet he can’t wait…

Plus, wasn’t it carrick and McKenna who did a lot of the heavy lifting? They’re both in decent jobs themselves now.