g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Give it Ole until the end of the season...

Havak

Pokemon master
I think we have to do something... I can't see us winning another game under EtH. If we want to win the FA Cup, probably best to bring in a manager after the Arsenal game and give them 2 weeks to purely prep for the FA Cup Final. Rest players who need it, play some kids in the League matches along with the players who need a bit of match fitness before the Final if they can get fit (Shaw, Martinez, Varane). Probably still lose, but I'd feel like we are actively trying to do something to win it instead of practically forfeiting which is what it feels like now.

Just don't let it interfere with whatever the Summer plans are. Sell it as what it is. You're here to give it the best possible go at the FA Cup - might win it for us and get something on your CV, but then you're gone regardless. Thank you very much.

Problem is, people saying who can we get instead of Ole? Name some names, but I'm going to say that any top manager wouldn't accept such a short-term appointment with no chance of securing the job for next season. I think Ole would actually take this as he's been without a role for a while and is pretty much confirmed to be wanting to go into something for next season. He'd probably appreciate that bit of action and loves the club, would do everything to get a trophy for us.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Can we appoint klopp for the final? I mean, the season will be over and he will be jobless

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Give it to varane till the end of the season. Casemiro as 2nd assistant.

IRN-BRUno

Ole didn't deserve the abuse he was receiving before, I wouldn't want him to be put in that situation again if those 3 or 4 games didn't go well.

Realistically an interim at this stage probably has to be someone already at the club. That would most likely be Fletcher, maybe bring in O'Shea to help him.

Hawks2008

Would rather never watch the sport again then watch the manager i disliked the most back at the club in any capacity.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I don't think Ole won a knock out game of merit against Pep in his time here. What makes anyone think that is going to change now?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Can Ole manage at this level without Mckenna and Carrick? Its evident who was the brains behind that team

Red00012

Said this in a couple of threads now but be interested to hear other opinions.

OK, so we've been here before...and as much as I had hoped to limp on with EtH until Ashworth was in-place, it's now become clear we're going to get embarrassed on a global stage with his crazy kamikaze football against City at Wembley.

The opportunity to win major trophies doesn't come around that often, we can't just throw away whatever chance we do have....so....let's give it OGS until the end of the season.

Now I know Ole, with zero trophies in England, might not be the obvious "gun for hire" to win a one-off match but think about the positives...

1. He knows the club inside out and would slot straight in, hitting the ground running.

2. He knows the players, half of them played under him (Dalot, AWB, Maguire, Varane, Lindelof, Bruno, Martial, Rashford + Mainoo and Garnacho were in the Academy)

3. He has a really good record against Pep with his low-block, counter attack with split forwards.

4. His football is very simple and easy to play so wouldn't require a bedding-in period.

5. The fans would get right behind him as a club legend...come in for four games and go for the trophy he probably deserved as United manager.

6. Some of the players might feel they owe Ole something, given how it ended and throw everything behind him for four games.

It's the perfect solution in my opinion, I don't know what else is viable at this point.

There isn't time to bring in anybody who hasn't worked here before as even the simple logistics like getting to grips with the facilities, the schedules and the squad would take a week or two.

Dare I say, it even crossed my mind to bring SAF back for four games...but he was never a coach, somebody would still need to do the coaching, so doesn't really solve the problem...could we have SAF as 'manager'* and Ole as 'Head Coach' for four weeks?

*not to actually do anything per se, simply to show up on cup final day, stand in the changing room, sit in the dugout etc...

Crazy its come to this...
Knows the club inside out ….stopped reading after this

tomaldinho1

I don't think Ole won a knock out game of merit against Pep in his time here. What makes anyone think that is going to change now?
Indeed. We were really bad in finals/semis when you think about it under him.

The Hacker

Think we should look forwards and not backwards. Ole maybe in a coaching capacity specifically re forward play, but overall manager again? Best not. Unlikely to end well.

The root cause is the players. If these same players will suddenly do it for ole, they should be sold as they can do it now and are choosing not to. Just means they’ll do that over and over again.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I'd happily take Ole back - for me it was undoubtedly the best period in the postFergie era.

So if one our past managers deserves another shot with a better management structure in place, then it has to be him.

He also has a great record Vs Pep.

Ricardo de la Vega

I criticised Ole plenty, but that's not true. In terms of points per game over his time here (which is the best way of judging consistency), he was better than both Moyes and LVG, and ETH needs to win at least one of the remaining four games this season (which seems fairly unlikely at the moment) to stay ahead of him.
I know; its not questioned that our performance under Ten Hag is worse than what Ole achieved. Im not questioning that at all. It would be futile to. But Ole was for me, genuinely, the worst coach we've ever had (i still love the guy). There was absolutely NOTHING we had on the pitch, with arguably much better players and greater depth in the squad; no pattern of play, no style of football, nothing. Ten Hag HAS one - but it is total shit and has been exposed with the players he has at his disposal - much of which is his own fault - his players dont fit his system, and he wanted and picked them. He'll have to be sacked and is totally deserving of the sack - he has failed monumentally. We are again - the worst coached team in the league just as we were with Ole. I'm not saying Ten Hag is good - but I am saying OGS was a dreadful coach for us.

soapythecat

As much as I loved Ole, and still do, I don’t think he would be a quick fix. I’d much rather Jose for a month and a chance in the final. The players are better suited to his style. Would be a cheap ish quick fix and much more likely to get us to do anything that ETH at the moment who clearly has lost the players and beyond the point of no return.

jimmyb2000

Sack Ten Hag, keep Mclaren, get Fergie and Ole in for 4 games. If that can't get a rise out of the players then nothing will.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Even if there was 1% chance Roy Keane could beat Guardiola in a final, let's do it. It would be unforgettable

Roboc7

Ole just needs to be left alone, clearly ETH has to go and it should’ve happened today. Just let McClaren and Fletcher take over, it can’t be any worse than this. They could at least do something different as ETH has backed himself into a corner playing these shit tactics that don’t work every game.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
One of those actually won us a cup...even with all their faults.
I like trophies as much as the next person but a league cup doesn't overturn how bad he's been for us as a club. We're currently 14th on xG and have sunk to 16th at one point. Perhaps there's an argument to be made Ten Hag is the better United manager overall due to the LC (not for me personally), in my view he has had the worst single season in my lifetime, we've outplayed 3 teams all season, it's been an absolute disgrace and for me that's absolutely obliterated any good will he'd built up.

Hughie77

I think we've been there before .. we got players who for want of a better word are pussies!

Ole would just be another guy they will tramble over..

Eth had good first season then bought rubbish .. I said it start of season . We didn't need a new Keeper didn't need CM ..ffs sake we needed a goal scorer and CB.. he bought 1 young striker who's still learning.. .. Tuchel if he wants it end of season..

NiceGuyEddie

Give the rest of the season to McLaren, wheel out Fergie for the cup final. He doesn't have to do anything, his presence alone is enough. Can you imagine the motivation it would give to the players to win one last cup for him? Wouldn't be lost on many of us that we had the Fergie/McLaren combo during the Treble years too.

Red00012

ETH won’t be sacked until after the FA cup final. He’s probably signed off on it also

The Hilton

As someone who supported Ole and think the "worst manager" and "PE teacher" takes are nonsense, this is an awful suggestion.

We've been repeating the same mistakes constantly since Fergie left, throwing managers with contradictory approaches at the problem. To literally recycle one of said managers would be a backwards step beyond any other we've taken.

I'd much rather we look forward, and plan for the future beyond a single match this season.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I don't hate the idea. It's just 4 games. It would be a pleasant surprise if he won the FA cup too. He deserves a trophy. He did better than Van Gaal and Ten Hag after all.

Robbie Boy

:lol: It really has come to this. Pining for Ole back (even just as interim). That went well for us the last time, didn't it?
Our fans have the weirdest relationships with our failed managers. Imagine seriously suggesting bringing back a bloke who won absolutely nothing despite being here 3 years. But, he did win the illustrious "beating Pep 3 times" trophy, I guess.

Robbie Boy

I don't hate the idea. It's just 4 games. It would be a pleasant surprise if he won the FA cup too. He deserves a trophy. He did better than Van Gaal and Ten Hag after all.
I'm guessing you absolutely love the idea tbh :wenger:

Andy_Cole

100% for it.

I don't understand why we're happy to throw away the next 4 games for no reason. Hag has zero chance. Give it to Ole who may bring some feel good back.

tomaldinho1

I like trophies as much as the next person but a league cup doesn't overturn how bad he's been for us as a club. We're currently 14th on xG and have sunk to 16th at one point. Perhaps there's an argument to be made Ten Hag is the better United manager overall due to the LC (not for me personally), in my view he has had the worst single season in my lifetime, we've outplayed 3 teams all season, it's been an absolute disgrace and for me that's absolutely obliterated any good will he'd built up.
When you say 'bad for us as a club', the reality is when he leaves, which will be this summer almost undoubtedly, his tenure will have been more successful than most that have come before him because his time is being capped at an appropriate moment. 1st season, he is the first manager post SAF to win a trophy whilst also finishing top 4 (as sad as that is, it is a fact) and second season we all assume will be a low league finish and no trophy = a disaster but the key is when the time comes for him to be sacked, we will not be going into another season with someone we know - for whatever reason - is not right for the club. The club did this with Jose in the Jose/Ole season and it killed us, they then did it again with Ole/Ragnick.

I'm not sure any coaches post SAF have been 'good' for the club long term, but ETH certainly won't be the worst if he leaves now. Play style I agree it's up there with the worst we've played but it's really not that different from latter days Ole and Ragnick, people just like to selectively remember Ole as he's a good bloke but the end of his tenure wasn't dissimilar to what we're seeing now at all with players giving up/being unprofessional.

fallengt

nah
if he somehow won a few games, they would give him another gaffer job. That is how stupid this club is

Robbie Boy

And imagine if he came back and fluked a win in the final. A fair portion of this place would become absolutely unbearable - yet again - with their pro-Ole propaganda. I have zero doubt they would genuinely be calling for him to get the full time gig.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I'm guessing you absolutely love the idea tbh :wenger:
Nah. 4 games I can stand. Even if we win them all in beautiful fashion I doubt the club would be silly enough to re-hire. Then again if there's one club in world that would do it... :nervous:

I've changed my mind. Roy Keane for the last 4 games, please.