Give it Ole until the end of the season...

Zen86

I don’t think he’d come back. He had a go, it’s done.

Was fun before the end, though.

tomaldinho1

If he is able to win the FA Cup .. do we care ?
Why do you wanna tell your kids..
Even if we win by a Maguire 97th min goal..
After getting hammered for 96 mins.. do we care ?

Real was hammered by City 3 weeks back and won in penalties .. do they care if they win the CL
I'd be for this if Ole had shown a shred of nous in knock out games but he's probably been our worst manager in cups.

Jose/Ole season19/2020/2121/22
Europe (CL/EL)0-4 loss to Barca (PSG win beforehand) (QF)1-2 loss to Sevilla (SF) beat Copenhagen in QF.3rd in CL group. Lost on pens to Villareal in ELNA
FA Cup1-2 loss to Wolves (QF)1-3 loss to Chelsea (SF) beat Norwich in QF.1-3 loss Leicester (QF)Knocked out by Boro on pens (2nd round)
EFLNA2-3 loss to City (SF) beat Colchester in QF.0-2 loss City (SF) beat Everton in QF.0-1 loss WHUM (1st round)

Lee565

Let's get the entire old band together for the cup game

Lvg and mourinho as joint manager like liverpool once did with houlier and Roy Evans, then have ten hag, ole and moyes assistant coaches.

Gopher Brown

Let's get the entire old band together for the cup game

Lvg and mourinho as joint manager like liverpool once did with houlier and Roy Evans, then have ten hag, ole and moyes assistant coaches.
Nah, Wee Jimmy Lumsden for interim manager

Lentwood

@Robbie Boy you're all over the thread scoffing at the idea as if it's what we want...as if we're not all fully aware that the idea is bonkers...but what's the alternative?

We've two choices right now-.

1. Allow EtH to manage the final four games
2. Bring in an interim

Bringing in an interim wouldn't even be that crazy usually, except we've left it so late, the viable options are few and far between.

If it were four league games, I'd say forget it, let EtH lose all four and let's sort it out in the Summer...but there's a cup final to be contested.

If you don't like the idea, that's absolutely fine, no issue with that...but please interpret the argument / ides as it is intended...which is four games, and only four games, with the intention of giving us the best chance of winning a trophy.

If you think the best chance is leave EtH in charge then cool, that's your opinion. But it's a debate worth having because many don't believe that.

I think about it like this as an analogy - say you're trapped on the 10th floor of a burning building...do you stay inside and suffer a slow and painful death or do you jump and have a chance? The idea of jumping under normal circumstances is absolutely absurd, but in these very specific circumstances, it becomes an option worth considering, unpalatable as it might be. In that scenario, I'd jump.

Last edited:

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
We shouldn't care about looking daft. We're in this mess partly because we have cared too much about what fans, sponsors, pundits and the media think over the last decade.

The ONLY consideration should be what is best for the club
We should care about looking daft because looking daft as a business or a football club stops prospective signings coming to you.

Im not sure what message it sends to bring back the bloke we sacked for being a bit shit….for 4 games

Longshanks

I'd be for this if Ole had shown a shred of nous in knock out games but he's probably been our worst manager in cups.

Jose/Ole season19/2020/2121/22
Europe (CL/EL)0-4 loss to Barca (PSG win beforehand) (QF)1-2 loss to Sevilla (SF) beat Copenhagen in QF.3rd in CL group. Lost on pens to Villareal in ELNA
FA Cup1-2 loss to Wolves (QF)1-3 loss to Chelsea (SF) beat Norwich in QF.1-3 loss Leicester (QF)Knocked out by Boro on pens (2nd round)
EFLNA2-3 loss to City (SF) beat Colchester in QF.0-2 loss City (SF) beat Everton in QF.0-1 loss WHUM (1st round)
The Boro loss was under Rangnick. Ole never finished a full season outside the top four in the league. We were 7th with a long way to go in the season when we sacked him. Were currently 8th with a negative GD after 35 games this season in horrible form.

In the cups he did fine, went deep in most competitions got knocked out by good opposition normally away or at neutral venues. He would of killed of for ETH's cup draws or his CL group.

tomaldinho1

The Boro loss was under Rangnick. Ole never finished a full season outside the top four in the league. We were 7th with a long way to go in the season when we sacked him. Were currently 8th with a negative GD after 35 games this season in horrible form.

In the cups he did fine, went deep in most competitions got knocked out by good opposition normally away or at neutral venues. He would of killed of for ETH's cup draws or his CL group.
Fair re boro thought that was him. Not sure how you came to rest of conclusion though, we had pretty easy draws generally.

lex talionis

What would be accomplished anyway with Ole as interim manager? Arsenal and Newcastle will still defeat us and City will destroy us. Maybe we steal a draw from Brighton. Ole's magic wand isn't going to change any of that.

ColvaleGoa

The season is over ...what does it even matter?

Not even Mourinho can save us now.

It's not as if we were not going to roll over and have our bellies tickled by City

Just have a early summer and let's start the boom bust cycle as soon as preseason begins.

Lentwood

Pointless bringing in an interim at this point. Pointless. Get the season over, sack ten hag.
I agreed with this line of thinking until last night.

EtHs dogmatic approach and unwillingness to build something workable based on what he has available means we're going to be absolutely saved by City.

My feeling is now, he has to go instantly...and OGS is the only viable name I can come up with at this point.

Partridge

I agreed with this line of thinking until last night.

EtHs dogmatic approach and unwillingness to build something workable based on what he has available means we're going to be absolutely saved by City.

My feeling is now, he has to go instantly...and OGS is the only viable name I can come up with at this point.
I dont think we would get any "re-hire bounce" with ole, and i like the guy alot. The only guy i could think of who would be available is The Owl, and obviously, thats not realistic. I believe we will just have to take one up the chutney (again), and hang on til the end. What a clusterfeck it has been.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Last time Ole was a brilliant interim choice (and they should have let him be just that).

This time - he has history. He's a failed manager (a very failed manager, you could say - as in: proven to be out of his depth, ultimately) coming back to take charge of a group of players which include many he worked with before.

Very different scenario. I'm not sure at all that he'd be able to lift spirits and motivate the players.

Robbie Boy

@Robbie Boy you're all over the thread scoffing at the idea as if it's what we want...as if we're not all fully aware that the idea is bonkers...but what's the alternative?

We've two choices right now-.

1. Allow EtH to manage the final four games
2. Bring in an interim
Well, it's not up to me, but I'm 100% confident that we aren't sacking ETH in May.

Do I want him sacked right now? Yes. Do I think an interim would do anything of note in 4 or 5 weeks? No. So, I guess I'm in limbo more than anything. I want him gone, but I don't see it happening, and I don't see any interim doing much of anything.

And most of my posts are arguing against the revisionism about his time here. If he came in as an interim, I would deal with it, but it's not happening and it would make INEOS look pretty bad imo.

Flying high

I keep having to remind myself that we have a massive fanbase so it shouldn't be a surprise that all sorts of views are out there.

But christ. Ole was hounded by a huge section of our fans for the entire time he was manager because he wasn't a modern coach, like ETH, who'd have us winning things because 'coaching'.

It's like some collective blind spot. We all know the Glazers and Woody have fked the club. But it will all be okay with a new manager! No, not that one, another one! :rolleyes:

Robbie Boy

I keep having to remind myself that we have a massive fanbase so it shouldn't be a surprise that all sorts of views are out there.

But christ. Ole was hounded by a huge section of our fans for the entire time he was manager because he wasn't a modern coach, like ETH, who'd have us winning things because 'coaching'.

It's like some collective blind spot. We all know the Glazers and Woody have fked the club. But it will all be okay with a new manager! No, not that one, another one! :rolleyes:
It is what it is. All our post-Fergie managers have been utter shite. The structure has also been shite. The next man after ETH may not work out but it doesn't mean ETH should stay.

Lentwood

What the club do next season is an entirely different argument. This is solely about whether we should look at an alternative option for the cup final or whether we should let EtH see out the final four games.

My own view is that we have no chance at all of winning the FA Cup with EtH in charge and a good chance of being embarrassed on a global scale.

This is largely due to his complete unwillingness to do what is best for the group of players he has. It should be impossible for United to lose 4-0 to Palace or Brentford, or 3-0 at home to Bournemouth. If Portsmouth played Palace or Brentford tomorrow I'd be shocked if they lost 4-0. Those results are only possible because we're being totally and utterly exposed and setup to fail by a dogmatic coach who won't change.

Therefore it's my conclusion we need to bring in an interim...but who would be available, willing to do it and familiar enough with the club to come in immediately and prepare us for a final?

I can only think OGS or Jose Mourinho. Personally I think OGS is more likely to do it than Jose and also a better fit because he's not publicly torn the players apart.

If you think you'd rather leave EtH in charge then fine, that's a very valid opinion. However, don't misrepresent or misinterpret the OP, in the sense that not one single person here is calling for OGS to return beyond the FA Cup final

Robbie Boy

The relative good times
If you only started supporting United in the past 10 years, sure. Describing that as "good" in any other sense is a massive stretch. Personally, I found it good the season we won things under Jose.

Lentwood

And yet, you know as well as I do that there's a certain cohort on here that would do exactly that.
Well, maybe, I don't know...and by all means, if you find someone recommending that, attack that argument.

My issue is with folks attacking an argument that hasn't been made (by me) - I suppose that's what happens on Internet forums to be fair...lots of sub-plots / debates unfolding within a debate...initial ideas and points gets lost and it descends into chaos