Giving away penalties

MrBrightside1989

What's the actual numbers/stats on our penalties conceded. I'm sure someone has them/can find them.
For me it seems this team give away a stupid penalty far more often than anyone else!

lsd

The Oracle
When the penalties are correct as they have been it's clearly on us.

I have no idea what we do in training or what the players are being coached but it's clearly not been good enough.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It almost feels like the benefit of the doubt is never given to us. Letter of the law approach any time we do something wrong

Zen

Well today was hypocritical reffing. Hojlund should of had 2 penalties given to him for the same thing this season - one in this very game and one vs Arsenal, that's without me checking how he's handled on crosses into him, but I'd say there's more.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I would not care in the slightest if we actually got penalties for the same fouls but we never do, City are on about 15 penalties this season already.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Maybe it'd be worth talking about if they were valid pens. Refs have been fecking garbage against us and giving us nothing and blowing the softest of shit for the opposition. Pathetic refereeing is all it is.

cyberman

Bayern and today aren’t pens. They’re so fecking eager to give them agains us

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Usually focus on us but that decision is absolute bullshit.

We've had stone-wall pens not being given away and at the same time at home we're being shafted.

Michael Oliver should get the same letter Liverpool sent.

RedUnited86

If we were adventurous enough to consider venturing into the opposition box we might get a few ourselves.

Dan_F

I have no idea what we do in training or what the players are being coached but it's clearly not been good enough.
Rubbish. There’s been plenty of doubt in them, even more so when we don’t get any up the other end for the exact same things.

Eriksen’s handball vs the Spurs one.
Today vs the Arsenal one.

These are basically identical, if not more obvious penalties for us.

Swedish_Plumber

It would be nice to see the penalties we’ve given away be given to us too. Handballs and man handling have have happened to our players and we’ve been given nothing.

Josep Dowling

The McTominay fouls were both penalties. Todays and Bayerns absolutely not and you haven’t seen then given against anyone else this season.

Maybe we need to start diving more as Rodri went down like he’s shot.

Ekeke

Its us. He's not trying to play the ball today, he's given up on Rodri's movement and Rodri feels it and goes down knowing he'll get it. Soft? A tiny bit. A foul? For sure

cyberman

Its us. He's not trying to play the ball today, he's given up on Rodri's movement and Rodri feels it and goes down knowing he'll get it. Soft? A tiny bit. A foul? For sure
Soft isn’t covered by clear and obvious hence the problem

Unam333

I would not care in the slightest if we actually got penalties for the same fouls but we never do, City are on about 15 penalties this season already.
Don't know about the stats, but City as a posession team thst mostly play in the opposition's half will create more chances and will get more penalties.

cyberman

I mean, isnt clear and obvious not giving a penalty when it should be?
No, that’s not a clear and obvious pen. That type of challenge happens every week. If the ref thinks that’s a pen then fair enough, I do t think VAR would get involved but it’s the same the other way as well.
Theres a high bar for a reason, are we suddenly going to pretend it doesn’t exist?

AltiUn

Don't know about the stats, but City as a posession team thst mostly play in the opposition's half will create more chances and will get more penalties.
They've been getting soft penalties and decisions in their favour all season, just call a spade a spade.

ItDoesntEvenMata

Yes, Hojlund should have had a pen Vs Arsenal but today was also a stonewall penalty

Hojlund is woefully on the wrong side, makes no attempt to get back on the right side and just pulls at Rodri. Rodri isn't wrestling/ tussling and is heading for the ball

Hojlund stupid but it's a pen as should Maguire rear naked choking Stones. There are probably about 5 corners in every game that should be pens too

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
I hope Bruno or better yet EtH comes out at full times and goes full Jose about the sheer inconsistencies when it comes to Man Utd and decisions in our games.

and raises the concerns that Michael Oliver has recently been on the UAE payroll.

CM

The two in the Champions League and the one today were all very soft. The Onana one v Wolves is the only bit of fortune we've had all season.

You wouldn't even mind if the threshold wasn't so high for us to get one - Cristian Romero's handball against us was about as stonewall as it gets and wasn't given.

AltiUn

The two in the Champions League and the one today were all very soft. The Onana one v Wolves is the only bit of fortune we've had all season.

You wouldn't even mind if the threshold wasn't so high for us to get one - Cristian Romero's handball against us was about as stonewall as it gets and wasn't given.
Exactly right, we could have Rashford hit with a blast from an RPG and I still don't think we'd get a pen.

Hughie77

VAR is crap.. it has spoilt the game at top level, lower level games don't have it and its so much better to watch.. CL games are better than Prem games as VAR is used better... Premier league officials are ruining the spectable of the game..

That today interference of VAR wasn't needed...... was it an error? Was it goal scoring chance? Both NO.. so why VAR .. never in a million years he's getting near that ball..

VAR is of no use..

Kung Fu Cantona7

VAR is crap.. it has spoilt the game at top level, lower level games don't have it and its so much better to watch.. CL games are better than Prem games as VAR is used better... Premier league officials are ruining the spectable of the game..

That today interference of VAR wasn't needed...... was it an error? Was it goal scoring chance? Both NO.. so why VAR .. never in a million years he's getting near that ball..

VAR is of no use..
Agreed. He wasn't even gonna reach the ball and nobody even mentions that Rashfords defensive run was obstructed in similar fashion during the same phase of play. VAR is crap at the moment. It could be good but at this moment in time it is ruining many games.

Coleyoscar

That was so soft. Can’t blame us for that.

Even Neville, who hates United, says it was soft.
Exactly.

How it is reported by journalists and pundits is interesting as well.

When we were awarded a penalty in the FA Cup final it seemed obligatory that every mention of it in the media had the word "soft" as an adjective.

If this recent one were a United penalty the media focus would have been on the United player "throwing himself to the floor". And I am convinced that Fernandes, or whichever United player did the Rodri prat fall, would have been described as "cheating" rather than "clever".

flappyjay

What's the actual numbers/stats on our penalties conceded. I'm sure someone has them/can find them.
For me it seems this team give away a stupid penalty far more often than anyone else!

I think we are also at the top end for fouls committed. We have zero street smarts.

Lyng

Exactly.

How it is reported by journalists and pundits is interesting as well.

When we were awarded a penalty in the FA Cup final it seemed obligatory that every mention of it in the media had the word "soft" as an adjective.

If this recent one were a United penalty the media focus would have been on the United player "throwing himself to the floor". And I am convinced that Fernandes, or whichever United player did the Rodri prat fall, would have been described as "cheating" rather than "clever".
Not one single video on talkshite today about that pen and I am not surprised. If this was the other way around there would be 7 by now.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The McTominay fouls were both penalties. Todays and Bayerns absolutely not and you haven’t seen then given against anyone else this season.

Maybe we need to start diving more as Rodri went down like he’s shot.
The McT foul on Tuesday was never ever a penalty.

He doesn't make any contact until the forward literally just jumps into his leg.

Superden

managing referees and the media is all part of the job for a manager as it can benefit the team when it comes to getting the decisions in our favour.. we all moan about Klopp, but he's brilliant at it, just as Fergie was. ETH seems to be getting worse at it.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Our players do this almost every game, Maguire pulling shirts, McTominay pushing people regularly in the box - it's just they are now being called out on it.

JagUTD

First you have to ask whether they were penalties. The best way to do this is not to look at the rules, but to look at how the rules are interpreted over the course of a season. This gives a true reflection of what is, or is not a penalty.

This would tell us that yesterday wasn't a penalty for example.

After that, you get the answer to your question.

SER19

When you watch some of the ones given against us, then see ones not, off the top of my head

Romero v Spurs
Handball v Palace
Foul on Hojlund v Arsenal

It's ridiculous really.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line

Copenhagen was never a penalty and City's was very very soft.

ROFLUTION

VAR is of no use..
Also these type of VAR decisions take out the players that we either used to love in the game. Or at least loved to hate. The villains, who made the games have more story to them.

Keane, Vieira, Materazzi, Gattuso, Zlatan - you'll never see any of those players again because VAR softens the sport.

Hughie77

Also these type of VAR decisions take out the players that we either used to love in the game. Or at least loved to hate. The villains, who made the games have more story to them.

Keane, Vieira, Materazzi, Gattuso, Zlatan - you'll never see any of those players again because VAR softens the sport.
Ruined the whole spectacle of the game, I happend to watch York City last Saturday night lower league it was a good watch no VAR and the pitch was excellent, there was no theatrics in game a few moans etc but nothing you see in the prem. And VAR had helped the players behave in that way..