Glazer Sues Own Fans

very Ruud

Spam, Spam, Spam....
http://www.unitedrant.co.uk/archives/2005/09/glazer_sues_own.html

United Rant
Article by The Editor
September 24, 2005 06:00 PM

Glazer Sues Own Fans

MUFCUSA.com - an independent United fanzine for Reds based in the US of A - is being threaten by the clubs lawyers for 'illegally displaying the club's crest' on the website and therefore breaching copyright. That's right RANT readers the club are threatening to sue their own fans for supporting their own team. What next taking on Reds with tattoos? Suing fans on the terraces for singing United songs? What new low can the ginger cocksucker sink to?

RANT has already been threatened with litigation once - for displaying United's fixture list - and we wouldn't be surprised if we also heard from WILLIAM A SHEPHERD & SON the club's appointed copywrite lawyers. After all we've long displayed the club's logo. Or perhaps the old logo doesn't count - after all since it wasn't good enough for Peter Kenyon why should the new regime care?

The hypocrisy of the club's stance on copyright is highlighted by Manchester United magazine - the club's official rag. Published by Future, the magazine stole both the concept and several images from "Zubov" a regular contributor to MUFCUSA and Red News.

In the first example Zubov displays a gallery of United legends in old fashioned kit.

In the second example, published by Manchester United magazine in July, the gallery shows 'United Players 1905'. Zubov had done a centre spread for Red News last year showing United players as they would have appeared on cigarette cards in the 1930s.

As Zubov says, "Future Publications basically told me to **** off after the editor admitted seeing two of my images from the piece in the Guardian Gallery in April. Intellectual property obviously means nothing to them as long as it isn't theirs."

The letter to MUFCUSA is symptomatic of the problems in football not just United. Attendances are falling as clubs price fans out of the game and managers look after their own arses with negative tactics rather than entertaining the public.

Of course should WILLIAM A SHEPHERD & SON dare to darken RANT's doors with their threats of litigation we'll do exactly what we did with the Nazi's at the Football Data Co Limited and publish their hypocritical ***** in full on this site. RANT will then contact every Sports Editor at every national newspaper in the country, who we know well, with the story. We wait in anticipation boys!

The letter sent to MUFCUSA is displayed in full below:

Mr Darren Wayne Caudill
USA

RJH/KD/G/MAN 23 August 2005

Dear Mr Caudill

www.mufcusa.com - Unauthorised Use of the MANCHESTER UNITED Crest
================================================== =========

We act on behalf of MANCHESTER UNITED PLC of Sir Matt Busby Way, Old Trafford, Manchester, M16 0RA in connection with the protection of its intellectual property rights (including, and in particular, its Registered and unregistered Trade Mark rights) globally.

It has come to our client's attention that the website www.mufcusa.com (which we have ascertained is Registered in your name personally) is making unauthorised use of the MANCHESTER UNITED Crest.

You may or may not be aware that our client has an existing Trade Mark Registration and two pending Community Trade Mark applications, in the USA, for the MANCHESTER UNITED Crest in respect of a broad range of goods and services. We enclose for your consideration brief particulars for the same.

In addition, and with regard to our client's Trade Mark MANCHESTER UNITED Crest, we hereby confirm and clarify that the same is the subject of original copyright protection in the United States. Consequently, the unauthorised use of the same on the website www.mufcusa.com amounts to copyright infringement.

In the circumstances, therefore, we write now to request that, within 14 days from the date of this letter, you provide appropriate undertakings confirming that you will:

1. immediately remove the MANCHESTER UNITED Crest from the website www.mufcusa.com and/or any other website which you are personally affiliated;

2. never in the future use the MANCHESTER UNITED Crest and/or anything colourably similar to the same, on the website www.mufcusa.com and/or any other website to you are affiliated and/or any publication owned by you or in your control.

We suspect that the unauthorised use of our client's Trade Mark MANCHESTER UNITED Crest is not an offence which has been deliberately perpetrated. Nevertheless, and as you will surely appreciate, our client has spent considerable time and money investing in and developing its intellectual property rights worldwide and, therefore, even the best intended misuse of its rights is something which it cannot allow to assist.

We look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Yours sincerely

WILLIAM A SHEPHERD & SON

Enc: Trade Mark particulars

The Hairdryer

Shane Bluck said:
Slowly but surely, they are revealing their true colours.

The Glazers will kill Manchester United, they need to be stopped.

You've never been allowed to use the crest. One of my mates recieved a letter like that four years ago.

Don't really see how it's all of a suden Glazer's fault.

Shane B

Not Fat, Old, Racist or Scouse
The Hairdryer said:
You've never been allowed to use the crest. One of my mates recieved a letter like that four years ago.

Don't really see how it's all of a suden Glazer's fault.
I would go to fecking jail kicking and screaming before the cnut takes the crest off me, I am going to get a fecking website sorted with the crest and feck off Glazer underneath.

The Hairdryer

Shane Bluck said:
I would go to fecking jail kicking and screaming before the cnut takes the crest off me, I am going to get a fecking website sorted with the crest and feck off Glazer underneath.

never-the-less, While I think the policy is wrong, if they found such a website you would have recieved a similar letter from the PLC.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Shane Bluck said:
Why are you getting so excited Shane? It's not a glazer thing it's a Copyright thing

I believe the owner of this site has been subject to this sort of crap from United before Glazer was ever known about

The Hairdryer

Stanley Road said:
I believe the owner of this site has been subject to this sort of crap from United before Glazer was ever known about

Suprised he hasn't been subjected to the same sort of crap from Jim Henson yet.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Shane Bluck said:
Because I fecking hate Glazer, and if I get the slightest chance to vent some anger in his direction, then I will.
Why don't you blame him for Hurricane Katrina then

What exactly has he done to your team that you don't like?

Shane B

Stanley Road said:
Why don't you blame him for Hurricane Katrina then

What exactly has he done to your team that you don't like?
You fecking daft cnut, do you think this is about 11 men on a football field? This is about my fecking club NOT a team, my fecking club, and the fact that he has plunged us into debt and is taking the piss. feck off knob head, I am not in the mood for dickhead opposition fans today.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Shane Bluck said:
You fecking daft cnut, do you think this is about 11 men on a football field? This is about my fecking club NOT a team, my fecking club, and the fact that he has plunged us into debt and is taking the piss. feck off knob head, I am not in the mood for dickhead opposition fans today.
You seemed alright with other owners taking the piss

Perhaps if your team wasn't so boring and shite and the atmosphere wasn't so pathetic at OT then you might forget about who's in charge

Warrington

In need of a new contact after Carra let me down.
:lol:

It's normal to ask the club if you can use it, Liverpool never refuse "not for profit" organisation the right to use their crest.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
i seem to recall Niall getting a threatening email from the club about 3 years ago for some reason or another

ellie brown

the east is red
The Hairdryer said:
Suprised he hasn't been subjected to the same sort of crap from Jim Henson yet.
Jim henson being deceased, he'll be unlikely to be taking legal action any time soon, but I know what you mean... ;)

Warrington

In need of a new contact after Carra let me down.
Anyone see Friedal spill yesterday? That didn't get highlighted cos they won.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
This is nothing new. The club came after me 5 years ago and tried to bury this site for similar reasons.

My army of lawyers sent them packing ;)

mu77

we wanted t-shits made up for the 2nd US tour - tits' fanny and UNITED - in images on the front - (i'll let you guess) and oh manchester on the back. well our friend making the shirts had to come up with a logo for the united becasue no printer in greater manchester would do the front. it actually looks a lot like the new clubs logo. nice shirt.

veg

First Team Player
What next taking on Reds with tattoos?

well they can sue me all they want but they wont get the tattoo of the badge removed from my chest! that is a fact!
:mad: :mad:

veg

First Team Player
Warrington said:
Anyone see Friedal spill yesterday? That didn't get highlighted cos they won.
warrington you really are a first class prick! feck off back to ** magical mith makin land with ** made up transfer storys, no one on this site likes you

roxyfella

Real Fly Ox
Shane Bluck said:
Because I fecking hate Glazer, and if I get the slightest chance to vent some anger in his direction, then I will.
I saw someone yesterday with his trousers pulled up to his chest, i promptly kicked the shit out of him.

Shane B

Stanley Road said:

Perhaps if your team wasn't so boring and shite and the atmosphere wasn't so pathetic at OT then you might forget about who's in charge
Other owners did not put us in debt,
I enjoy watching my team,
my team are not shite,
I create my own atmosphere at OT and have a great time,
I wont forget who is in charge.
You are a fecking tosser.

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
and as you will surely appreciate, our client has spent considerable time and money investing in and developing its intellectual property rights worldwide

Is he taking the fecking piss or what.

What the feck has Glazer done to develop the United name, and how much time out of 127 year history has Glazer spent doing it.

THe bloke has done feck ALL for United....

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
Stanley Road said:

feck off you muppet.

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
Opps cant say that. I will have Kermit objecting I am slurring his name.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Shane Bluck said:
Other owners did not put us in debt,
I enjoy watching my team,
my team are not shite,
I create my own atmosphere at OT and have a great time,
I wont forget who is in charge.
You are a fecking tosser.
Yes, they're shite

penfold52

This is why MUFC changed the badge some years ago ,so the could put a copyright on it ,,,i.e take away the football club bit.

The West Indies cricket team did the same thing,and Arsenal .