Glazers bought Manchester United, but how much did Sir Alex cost?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
It’s a bit of an out-there thread, but humour me: would Glazers think in investing in United if United were always this unstable?

United cost 800 million quid but I think Sir Alex was at least half of that. I’m not trying to downplay us as a club but it’s clear now that after Martin Edwards we were held together by one fecking man. It’s a testament to Fergie and it’s making my blood run cold at how inept we are as a club currently.

So I just want to say; no matter what, Sir Alex is the second greatest man to ever live.

Gopher Brown

It’s a bit of an out-there thread, but humour me: would Glazers think in investing in United if United were always this unstable?

United cost 800 million quid but I think Sir Alex was at least half of that. I’m not trying to downplay us as a club but it’s clear now that after Martin Edwards we were held together by one fecking man. It’s a testament to Fergie and it’s making my blood run cold at how inept we are as a club currently.

So I just want to say; no matter what, Sir Alex is the second greatest man to ever live.
Ignoring the Magnier and McManus thing which eventually paved the way for the Glazer take over.

Skills

Snitch
Aren't we worth more now since Fergies left? So a negative value I guess?

Paxi

Ignoring the Magnier and McManus thing which eventually paved the way for the Glazer take over.
I’m not ignoring that at all. I just think they sold the club because they had a falling out with the manager over a horse.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Glazer would have bought no matter who was in charge. United were the biggest club in the world and it’s value constantly grows over time. I don’t understand the second greatest person that ever lived line though. Thats just weird.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Glazer would have bought no matter who was in charge. United were the biggest club in the world and it’s value constantly grows over time. I don’t understand the second greatest person that ever lived line though. Thats just weird.
But would we have been the biggest club in the world without SAF

Paxi

They might have been bought by someone but would banks be so quick to hand out 800 million quid on something like we are currently. Back in those days we still had a Leeds whom were fecking brilliant and went down real quick — it would never happen now.

K Stand Knut

Odd take on the situation!!

I think he was worth very little.

The Glazers bought the club because the revenue potential was basically a cash machine for them.

Paxi

But would we have been the biggest club in the world without SAF
Specifically, I’m saying; he quit back in 2002 and predictably we ended up in a mess that we are now: would Glazers even get 800 million loan to buy us?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Jesus? Elvis? Ray fecking Purchase? Who's the greatest, tell us!

Paxi

Odd take on the situation!!

I think he was worth very little.

The Glazers bought the club because the revenue potential was basically a cash machine for them.
I think this is an odd take too. There is no one like him. Not Pep, not Klopp. Not like Heynckess or Cruyff — all of whom are unique in their own way - Fergie though - 25 years and the total dominance — it’ll never be repeated.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town

The second greatest man to ever live? A bit ott I think.

If someone builds something amazing, but then they make poor decisions towards the end of their reign (David Moyes) or even years afterwards (phoning Ronaldo/supporting OGS), does that not cast them in a slightly different light? I think so.

Furthermore, SAF was given four years to win something, would that happen nowadays? (No it would not). Yet after pushing for David Moyes to get the job, did he lift a finger to help him keep it, seven months later? But now he’s standing by OGS - why!? What’s different ? Well I suppose one once scored a goal that is a key part of his own legendary status, whilst the other didn’t. “That’s nice”...

In addition, between 1990 and 2013 Manchester Utd. regularly had only one, possibly two rivals each season: Blackburn/Newcastle in the early days, then Arsenal and Chelsea with City coming onto the scene towards the end. Contrast that with the league now and the strength of many more teams - possibly as many as ten.

Finally, did Sir Alex do as well in Europe as he should have? No, he didn’t.

And don’t get me started on his links to the Glazers (which he did very well out of personally, by-the-way) and actually is still doing.

You might think ‘second greatest man’ etc. etc. but some of us are seeing him in a very different light. Some of us are thinking it’s about time he stopped getting involved in decision making at the club, because quite frankly some of those decisions have been a bit rubbish.

Last edited:

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
I think this is an odd take too. There is no one like him. Not Pep, not Klopp. Not like Heynckess or Cruyff — all of whom are unique in their own way - Fergie though - 25 years and the total dominance — it’ll never be repeated.
He probably talks about money, money value wise.

K Stand Knut

Yep.

Completely agree.

As a football manager. Priceless.

As an asset to someone buying a football club. Not so much.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The second greatest man to ever live? A bit ott I think.

If someone builds something amazing, but then they make decisions towards the end of their reign (David Moyes) or even years afterwards (phoning Ronaldo/supporting OGS), does that not cast them in a slightly different light? I think so.

Furthermore, SAF was given four years to win something, would that happen nowadays? (No it would not). Yet after pushing for David Moyes to get the job, did he lift a finger to help him keep it, seven months later? But now he’s standing by OGS - why!? What’s different ? Well I suppose one once scored a goal that is a key part of his own legendary status, whilst the other didn’t. “That’s nice”...

In addition, between 1990 and 2013 Manchester Utd. regularly had only one, possible two rivals each season: Blackburn/Newcastle in the early days, then Arsenal and Chelsea with City coming onto the scene towards the end. Contrast that with the league now and the strength of many more teams - possibly as many as ten.

Finally, did Sir Alex do as well in Europe as he should have? No, he didn’t.

And don’t get me started on his links to the Glazers (which he did very well out of personally, by-the-way) and actually is still doing.

You might think ‘second greatest man’ etc. etc. but some of us are seeing him in a very different light. Some of us are thinking it’s about time he stopped getting involved in decision making at the club, because quite frankly some of those decisions have been a bit rubbish.
Why would it be different now though? He'd have Chelsea and then one of City or Liverpool to fight off, with the other being a strong contender for trophies outside the league. Strong top 4 and title race is nothing new even if the 1-20 quality of the league overall is probably the highest it's ever been.

Paxi

Yep.

Completely agree.

As a football manager. Priceless.

As an asset to someone buying a football club. Not so much.
Are players not assets? We could nearly measure it since United are listed on the stock market. How much would our value go up on Monday if we had a manager who walked in the club guaranteeing stability, success, longevity?

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Him?

or even him:

or did you mean just football people (Jesus was a decent keeper I believe).

K Stand Knut

Are players not assets? We could nearly measure it since United are listed on the stock market. How much would our value go up on Monday if we had a manager who walked in the club guaranteeing stability, success, longevity?
Good change of subject!

We are talking about Fergie who was an OAP at the time of the Glazers initial arrival.

Best ever manager? I think so but understandably debatable.

The Glazers, and anybody else thinking of buying United, would have put minimal value on a single person who could decide to leave at any moment.

The same would be said now. Hence why we are valued at roughly 4x the amount we were when the Glazers bought us despite not having Fergie in charge anymore.

We are valued at what we have because of our revenue opportunities and our fixed assets.

P.S. I am not an economist of any kind and this is just personal opinion/hot air**

**delete as appropriate

Paxi

Good change of subject!

We are talking about Fergie who was an OAP at the time of the Glazers initial arrival.

Best ever manager? I think so but understandably debatable.

The Glazers, and anybody else thinking of buying United, would have put minimal value on a single person who could decide to leave at any moment.

The same would be said now. Hence why we are valued at roughly 4x the amount we were when the Glazers bought us despite not having Fergie in charge anymore.

We are valued at what we have because of our revenue opportunities and our fixed assets.

P.S. I am not an economist of any kind and this is just personal opinion/hot air**

**delete as appropriate
Thank you first and foremost. I didn’t even try it.

Second, Fergie is the greatest of all time as a manager. I’m not talking about coaching. Everyone knows Sir Alex was a decent coach but hardly revolutionary.

Thirdly, I'm looking at the situation in retrospect — therein I answered my own question; of course no one can put a price on the future.

Fridge chutney

Is the first Jesus?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Man united are big club, very well known, and already global. Even when we didn’t win trophies, we still managed to have one of the best revenue in football club. Both Ed and Glazers knew this and that’s why Glazers bought it and Ed recommended it.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero

Who’s the first?

Trequarista10

How much richer would the club be if performance wise we were still the best? I don't think it's as much as many people seem to think.

For fans, a top manager and success on the pitch is priceless. For United's overall financial value, its probably just a small %.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Can a mod change the title of this thread to "Guess who I think the greatest person to ever live is?"

Paxi

Can a mod change the title of this thread to "Guess who I think the greatest person to ever live is?"
I can do it for you but I’m not going to do it because you don’t know the answer.

The Siege

At the point when the Glazers took over, not much truthfully. Footballing-wise massively, but the seeds of brand Manchester United were already sown. It would have carried us like it's carrying us now.

If they bought the club in the early 90s, the story would be much different.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

Who's the greatest to ever live? Jesus