Glazers / Woodward out! (One down)

croadyman

We need to start a social media campaign and make sure Woodward at the very least gets removed.
The biggest problem we have is that Woody is the Glazers golden goose and I just don't see them ever getting rid of the guy who helped them buy the club

bleedred

Out.

The first campaign we could basically do is not go to matches when they are allowed back in. There is not going to be a lot of applications for the 2000 fans that would be allowed in because of postal code restrictions. At that scale, it will not hurt them in terms of money but it will show that we cannot stand this anymore.

Plymouth Red

The biggest problem we have is that Woody is the Glazers golden goose and I just don't see them ever getting rid of the guy who helped them buy the club
I agree. Woodward is a commercial guy, not a football expert so he should be kept on that side of the club, well away from any team matters. He is valuable for his ability to generate revenue and that's essential to keep upgrading the squad.
A decent DOF is required for the team stuff.

Brad2020

As a United fan I'm just frustrated at the ongoing incompetence of the club.

Why would the Glazer's buy one of the biggest clubs in the world...if they don't have the net worth to keep the club at the top alongside Man City, Chelsea, Real Madrid and Juventus?

To me is shows either poor judgment or poor foresight at best...or a malicious self serving profit motive at worst.

They should sell.

croadyman

I agree. Woodward is a commercial guy, not a football expert so he should be kept on that side of the club, well away from any team matters. He is valuable for his ability to generate revenue and that's essential to keep upgrading the squad.
Still harbor hopes that we might still appoint a DOF one day but certainly doesn't look imminent

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
He's not exactly doing miracles on the commercial side either.

All he's done is cheapen the branding and whore out the club to get different sponsors for different regions instead of having exclusive worldwide ones.

Plymouth Red

He's not exactly doing miracles on the commercial side either.

All he's done is cheapen the branding and whore out the club to get different sponsors for different regions instead of having exclusive worldwide ones.
Let’s be honest, he hasn’t got the same product to sell now that was on offer ten years ago.
No proper world class stars who can sell jerseys and no trophy winning parades which the sponsors can ride on the back of.
To get the biggest bucks, you need the best results, unless you are secretly state funded, of course.

Plymouth Red

Still harbor hopes that we might still appoint a DOF one day but certainly doesn't look imminent
If we had one, he would not have the easiest job currently because it would not be straightforward articulating to him the style of play we pursue and therefore the type of player we want.
Unless you let him set the style and then rebuild the squad around it from a zero baseline. Needs a lot of patience and courage to do that And the threads here would be epic!

croadyman

If we had one, he would not have the easiest job currently because it would not be straightforward articulating to him the style of play we pursue and therefore the type of player we want.
Unless you let him set the style and then rebuild the squad around it from a zero baseline. Needs a lot of patience and courage to do that And the threads here would be epic!
There is also that feeling they would not be given full control of recruitment and are just going to be a lackey/puppet of The Glazers along with Woodward and the other members of our recruitment team

Plymouth Red

There is also that feeling they would not be given full control of recruitment and are just going to be a lackey/puppet of The Glazers along with Woodward and the other members of our recruitment team
I agree. There’s also the risk that Woodward doesn’t back off sufficiently to let someone new get on with it. We’ve seen before that the shadow of Sir Matt and later SAF can hang over new senior management in a claustrophobic way.
Edwin VDS and Overmars as General Manager and DOF would be my dream team.

Denis' cuff

Said this all along. They’ll support a DOF halfway, like they have with every manager. Will make no difference.

Denis' cuff

Why would the Glazer's buy one of the biggest clubs in the world...if they don't have the net worth to keep the club at the top alongside Man City, Chelsea, Real Madrid and Juventus?

To me is shows either poor judgment or poor foresight at best...or a malicious self serving profit motive at worst.

They should sell.
you’ve just outlined why they won’t, esp the malicious bit.

Plymouth Red

They should sell.
Big business is built on debt and security. Their backers will have assessed their ability to pay down their debts, they know it's a business that has a global presence and would easily be sold if the Glazers defaulted. From the Glazer viewpoint, we are a cash cow.
Nothing complicated about it. Many British enterprises are based on exactly the same model. They just aren't as dear to our heart as this one.

croadyman

Said this all along. They’ll support a DOF halfway, like they have with every manager. Will make no difference.
Appointing one would definitely improve our image with other clubs execs which I think has taken a battering since Woody took over from Gill

arthurka

They should sell.
Why should they?
We still rake in the cash and the value has risen from just below 800m when they bought to over 3bn since.
They won´t sell unless they have too it is a steady profitable piggy bank you can use to your benefits, they also have an asset that is worth something so they can saddle it with debt if they want to.

I am afraid we are stuck with them.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics

Surely it's obvious they are here for the money and nothing ese. Has anything else ever been credibly suggested? And we kind of know that the sweet spot financially is finishing fourth in the risk/reward spreadsheet.

It's not incompetence. It's just business.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius

They should sell.
Capitalism is malicious. Obviously, the Glazers are not die hard football fans who bought the club to achieve glory. It was always about money for them.

Mo Caine

Supports
United from 1977 until 2007
This is fast becoming the biggest myth in football, a monkey in a burton's suit could've done the same deals, everything he did, from noodles to car tyres is off the back of what Sir Alex achieved.

Plymouth Red

This is fast becoming the biggest myth in football, a monkey in a burton's suit could've done the same deals, everything he did, from noodles to car tyres is off the back of what Sir Alex achieved.
SAF’s success was a major factor but our golden years ended a long while ago. The sponsorship deals have continued to build up, however, based on a strategy of pursuing regional markets and vastly different business sectors than any English club had ever pursued before.
The $559million Chevrolet deal in 2012 is also worth remembering.Ed convinced them to massively overpay, to the extent that they sacked Joel Ewanick, global marketing director within 48 hours of the deal being announced.
I don’t think Ed should be involved with the football side of the club but I definitely would not want him working for another team.

Mo Caine

Supports
United from 1977 until 2007
SAF’s success was a major factor but our golden years ended a long while ago. The sponsorship deals have continued to build up, however, based on a strategy of pursuing regional markets and vastly different business sectors than any English club had ever pursued before.
The $559million Chevrolet deal in 2012 is also worth remembering.Ed convinced them to massively overpay, to the extent that they sacked Joel Ewanick, global marketing director within 48 hours of the deal being announced.
I don’t think Ed should be involved with the football side of the club but I definitely would not want him working for another team.
i know all about Joel Ewanick, Our name is still out there because of Sir Alex and his ''golden years'' , Ed may not be a donkey, but i'd gladly let him go to the dippers tomorrow, he's the most overrated person {by some} at our club.

clarkydaz

Erm, we were the hottest thing around winning leagues and being in CL finals. Send this clown to West Ham and see how many tractors he can sell in China

Brad2020

Big business is built on debt and security. Their backers will have assessed their ability to pay down their debts, they know it's a business that has a global presence and would easily be sold if the Glazers defaulted. From the Glazer viewpoint, we are a cash cow.
Nothing complicated about it. Many British enterprises are based on exactly the same model. They just aren't as dear to our heart as this one.

Why should they?
We still rake in the cash and the value has risen from just below 800m when they bought to over 3bn since.
They won´t sell unless they have too it is a steady profitable piggy bank you can use to your benefits, they also have an asset that is worth something so they can saddle it with debt if they want to.

I am afraid we are stuck with them.

Nothing willl change we are on a washing machine cycle.
I'm aware that at the end of the day, that all the Glazer's probably care about is the bottom line.

I just don't want to see anymore tweets from ex players like Patrice Evra, stating that the Glazer's love the club. Thankfully Rio has clued in, and no longer sings their praises.

If they cared about the club, they'd sell to the numerous potential buyers that have approached them, who have a net worth well and beyond theirs, but...

if they hold onto the club, we will indeed be in this endless washing machine cycle of failed transfer windows. Get ready for Ben White to become United's new star center back.

Coops73

I'm aware that at the end of the day, that all the Glazer's probably care about is the bottom line.

I just don't want to see anymore tweets from ex players like Patrice Evra, stating that the Glazer's love the club. Thankfully Rio has clued in, and no longer sings their praises.

If they cared about the club, they'd sell to the numerous potential buyers that have approached them, who have a net worth well and beyond theirs, but...

if they hold onto the club, we will indeed be in this endless washing machine cycle of failed transfer windows. Get ready for Ben White to become United's new star center back.
Who are these potential buyers?

Water Melon

These owners, the leeches have been living off the reputation built by SAF. Their main accountant Woody as well. They won't lose a night's sleep if Pool win their 20 and become undebatably the most decorated club in England. It is all about money for them.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Will we ever get a director of football? Why is forward planning not a feature of this club's strategy? I can appreciate the lack of adventurous spending in a COVID-riddled economy, but there needs to be a sharp-thinking mediator between Ole and the Board.

RedDevil@84

Will we ever get a director of football?
Unlikely.
Why is forward planning not a feature of this club's strategy?
Who will bell the cat? The Glazers are getting their profits. And Woodward is still bringing the money. Is finishing in top 2 ridiculously profitable than finishing in top 4?
The Glazers are not in this for footballing glory. So their monetary goals must match the footballing goals, else they would have not interest in seeing the club make any forward planning.
I can appreciate the lack of adventurous spending in a COVID-riddled economy, but there needs to be a sharp-thinking mediator between Ole and the Board.
That is Woodward. Glazers are not really into this for betterment of the game or something. Their monetary goals are being achieved.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Unlikely.

Who will bell the cat? The Glazers are getting their profits. And Woodward is still bringing the money. Is finishing in top 2 ridiculously profitable than finishing in top 4?
The Glazers are not in this for footballing glory. So their monetary goals must match the footballing goals, else they would have not interest in seeing the club make any forward planning.

That is Woodward. Glazers are not really into this for betterment of the game or something. Their monetary goals are being achieved.
If that is true (and it does seem very likely), we are in for a miserable next few seasons ahead until the Glazers sell. They are quite explicitly squeezing out all of our footballing potential and greatness for the sake of commercial glory. I mean all clubs are businesses but in most circumstances, there is a commitment (no matter how half-arsed) towards the footballing side of things.

Brad2020

Don't see many that are willing to part with at least 3bn.
1. Amancio Ortega, the sixth richest person in the world has apparently made the Glazer's an offer. This would be my preference, it comes without the politics of number two, and would put United'd transfer windows on par with City and Chelsea.

https://www.themanunitedfans.com/20...have an offer from the Spanish Ortega family!

2. Saudi Crown Prince Bin Salman has expressed interest in purchasing the club from the Glazer's outright. Apparently the Saudi's have been funneling money to the Glazer's in the past to assist in transfer costs. Obviously, with an agenda of an eventual take over. The politics is a turn off for a lot of fans, ....but it would be one hell of a rivalry having two oil rich Middle East owners fighting each other for top spot in Manchester. (Transfer window galore)

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/manchester-united-saudi-takeover-181883

3. At one point Britain's richest billionaire Jim Ratcliffe enquired about purchasing the club, but he apparently has changed his tune, citing the club has turned into a mess under poor mangagement, so it would be too much of hassle for him to turn it around.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...ir-jim-ratcliffe-takeover-chelsea-team-ineos/

I'm sure there are other potential buyers out there. The super rich can see that the Glazer's have bit of more than they can chew, by purchasing a club with an international fanbase that they can't afford to keep at the top of the Premier league, let alone 2nd or 3rd consistently. (the wolves seem to be stalking?,,,we can only hope)

Fans just have to keep the heat turned up, so we don't turn into Arsenal over time.

AneRu

Unlikely.

The way I see it is we spend enough on fees and wages to be competing for the title every year and the fact that we don't is indicative of flaws in our operational strategy not the financial strategy per se.

Liverpool have shown, in the last few seasons, that you don't have to be the biggest spenders to challenge for the top trophies. Yes they have spent big on the Allison and VVD but so have we but the difference in results is that we spent on players who never merited their fees, who are unlikely to grow to become players who merit such fees and we don't have the best manager in the world.

We spend enough to be a fixture in the top three but the fact is that the human element must also be there to extract that extra bit that turns contenders into Champions. We don't have that human element in the dugout or in the boardroom and that's our Achilles heel.

Their financial strategy has undeniably hamstrung us but I think it's the failure to put in place systems that ensure we have the best football brains helping the board out that's hurting us. A DOF may not be the panacea to our problems but in my view such an appointment will aid in making sure that we are spending to a plan, to imagine that we spent £35m on VDB and the coaching staff doesn't seem to have an idea on how to use him nor the desire to really integrate him - another Fred/Jose scenario.

arthurka

1. Amancio Ortega, the sixth richest person in the world has apparently made the Glazer's an offer. This would be my preference, it comes without the politics of number two, and would put United'd transfer windows on par with City and Chelsea.

https://www.themanunitedfans.com/2020/08/29/sixth-richest-person-in-the-world-offer-to-buy-manchester-united/#:~:text=According to Catalan-based media Radio el Fuego, Spanish,have an offer from the Spanish Ortega family!

2. Saudi Crown Prince Bin Salman has expressed interest in purchasing the club from the Glazer's outright. Apparently the Saudi's have been funneling money to the Glazer's in the past to assist in transfer costs. Obviously, with an agenda of an eventual take over. The politics is a turn off for a lot of fans, ....but it would be one hell of a rivalry having two oil rich Middle East owners fighting each other for top spot in Manchester. (Transfer window galore)

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/manchester-united-saudi-takeover-181883

3. At one point Britain's richest billionaire Jim Ratcliffe enquired about purchasing the club, but he apparently has changed his tune, citing the club has turned into a mess under poor mangagement, so it would be too much of hassle for him to turn it around.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...ir-jim-ratcliffe-takeover-chelsea-team-ineos/

I'm sure there are other potential buyers out there. The super rich can see that the Glazer's have bit of more than they can chew, by purchasing a club with an international fanbase that they can't afford to keep at the top of the Premier league, let alone 2nd or 3rd consistently. (the wolves seem to be stalking?,,,we can only hope)

Fans just have to keep the heat turned up, so we don't turn into Arsenal over time.
This was disputed and was even categorised as false news.

The Saudi bid would never have been passed and Jim doesn't have enough money.

RedDevil@84

The way I see it is we spend enough on fees and wages to be competing for the title every year and the fact that we don't is indicative of flaws in our operational strategy not the financial strategy per se.
Which is also driven by what Glazers want. An owner with footballing interest would do things to make sure that the footballing part is well taken care of. And if the CEO they appointed is not taking care of that, then they will fire him and get someone who will do that job.
But Glazers are very well happy to have their money spent in the way it is now at the club. Which seems to indicate that they are getting back enough and that is what they all care about.
Their financial strategy has undeniably hamstrung us but I think it's the failure to put in place systems that ensure we have the best football brains helping the board out that's hurting us.
Which is my point. The owners have no motivation. They are happy with spending their money on managerial merry go round, rather than believe there is a deeper problem.
to imagine that we spent £35m on VDB and the coaching staff doesn't seem to have an idea on how to use him nor the desire to really integrate him - another Fred/Jose scenario.
That is suggesting that VDB coming in was a Glazer/Woodward idea and not Ole

Brad2020

This was disputed and was even categorised as false news.

The Saudi bid would never have been passed and Jim doesn't have enough money.
Hmmm could be, but I remember reliable sources coming out of the Spanish media though, but I'll double check it (Sports headlines can often be more dubious than politics)

I don't agree with you on the Saudi bid, if they can show that the Public Investment Fund of Sadia Arabia is an autonomous arm of the government, than the sale could be pushed through...
If the deputy Prime Minster of the UAE, can own Manchester City, it's not a far stretch that Bin Salman could purchase the club.

Anyways on another note, after watching Maguire and Lindelof against Sheffield.... I'll take Ben White from Brighton...don't really know much about him, but...United really need a center back bandaid.

arthurka

Hmmm could be, but I remember reliable sources coming out of the Spanish media though, but I'll double check it (Sports headlines can often be more dubious than politics)

I don't agree with you on the Saudi bid, if they can show that the Public Investment Fund of Sadia Arabia is an autonomous arm of the government, than the sale could be pushed through...
If the deputy Prime Minster of the UAE, can own Manchester City, it's not a far stretch that Bin Salman could purchase the club.

Anyways on another note, after watching Maguire and Lindelof against Sheffield.... I'll take Ben White from Brighton...don't really know much about him, but...United really need a center back bandaid.
Agree, shambolic defending at set pieces again and again and again..

Plymouth Red

I'd be surprised if Ed pushed the Glazers for a DOF because it would be a tacit admission of failure and in my experience, turkeys don't vote for Christmas.
If he can create decent dividends for them without world record signings, I suspect all parties concerned will be happy.
Whether the happiness extends to the coaching staff, team, sponsors and fans is a different matter.