Glenn Hoddle collapses

Nuts

Oh give over. We all want him to get well but there's humour in everything.
Really? I can think of so many incidents that disprove that...

Do you actually find people laughing at Hoddle today funny?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Best England manager in my lifetime

Big Andy

Bloke
Get a life , after all the good wishes opposing fans gave Fergie you would have to be a total git to wish bad on Hoddle
I’m not wishing bad on anybody...I’m just making a joke about it...

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
dont mean to be picky but he didnt.
He apologised for causing offence by voicing his beliefs but didnt back away from his beliefs.
Back away from his beliefs? He believes in karmic reincarnation, like hundreds of millions of people around the world. Of course he is not going to change his religion because some people don't agree with it.

Anyway, this is not the thread.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Some really awful comments in here. If one is 'fair game' because of stupid or inappropriate things they've said before, then surely we all are.

World class midfielder in his day, and there's not been a better England manager since him. Get well soon Glenn.

manc exile

Supports
City
Some really awful comments in here. If one is 'fair game' because of stupid or inappropriate things they've said before, then surely we all are.

World class midfielder in his day, and there's not been a better England manager since him. Get well soon Glenn.
indeed we are.

we are all judged and reacted to by how we live our lives.

I am sorry you find my comments awful.
I dont have any ill will for the man and hope he recovers, but equally what he said and believes about disabled people is awful and I think more awful than the comments on this thread.

Devil81

Fingers crossed for Glenn, made a few stupid comments in the past but wouldn't wish wrong on him.

61 years of age as well, one of the youngest 61 year old's I've ever seen.

FlapR

Glad he's responding well. Hope he pulls through quickly.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He made stupid comments about disabled people 20 years ago. It cost him his job & he's apologised multiple times. People need to stop being so fecking tasteless. Have you never said anything mean & stupid in your life? Exactly.

manc exile

Supports
City
He made stupid comments about disabled people 20 years ago. It cost him his job & he's apologised multiple times. People need to stop being so fecking tasteless. Have you never said anything mean & stupid in your life? Exactly.

again he didnt apologise for what he said, he apologised it caused offence.
Which is fair enough if he still holds those beliefs, but if he still holds those beliefs, then he gets judged by them.

The comments you are complaining about are a lot less tasteless than the beliefs Hoddle still holds regarding the disabled.

Again I will say I still wish him all the best and a speedy recovery, because illness and disability can strike anyone and are not punishment for past sins.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Absolute knob head that contributed little to football post-Chelsea.

By his own belief system there's probably a message there. Maybe he committed a sin in a previous life and ended with a body that wouldn't last 90 years.

UnrelatedPsuedo

No. I have never said anything that fcuking stupid.

Great footballer.
Above Average manager.
Shitty belief system.

People papering over cracks of shitty human beings is an illness of society.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Feck me.

Think of the times that people close to you; parents, grandparents have said derogatory, outdated or unacceptable things in their lives. Then imagine others taking glee and delight in their sickness and death. Judging them only on the stupid things they've said, defining them only by their mistakes.

You go ahead and enjoy your vengeful rants. A man with a family is very sick. This thread is a trainwreck.

SparkedIntoLife

are you saying now is the time and place to paper over?
:confused: No. What I'm saying should be obvious. This isn't an appropriate thread and time to be calling Hoddle names and so on. It's fine to believe a comment he made 20 years ago means that he's still an asshole today but this isn't a great time or place to express that. Sometimes best just to keep quiet when others are saddened that he is in critical condition. Just basic social sensitivity; it's not rocket science.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Feck me.

Think of the times that people close to you; parents, grandparents have said derogatory, outdated or unacceptable things in their lives. Then imagine others taking glee and delight in their sickness and death. Judging them only on the stupid things they've said, defining them only by their mistakes.

You go ahead and enjoy your vengeful rants. A man with a family is very sick. This thread is a trainwreck.
Agreed

Moriarty

He was a sublime footballer in his day. I remember him scoring an absolute stunner for Spurs at the Stretford End to knock us out of the FA Cup. Hope he makes a speedy recovery.

manc exile

Supports
City
:confused: No. What I'm saying should be obvious. This isn't an appropriate thread and time to be calling Hoddle names and so on. It's fine to believe a comment he made 20 years ago means that he's still an asshole today but this isn't a great time or place to express that. Sometimes best just to keep quiet when others are saddened that he is in critical condition. Just basic social sensitivity; it's not rocket science.

Only if you believe that what he said isnt one of the most disgusting things to say and believe.
If you believe exactly the opposite as I do, its exactly the time to do it.
Its also the place to do it. Its a public forum.
If I was communicating directly with his family and friends obviously I wouldnt be bringing this up, but as I say this is a public forum.
its not rocket science.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
No. I have never said anything that fcuking stupid.

Great footballer.
Above Average manager.
Shitty belief system.

People papering over cracks of shitty human beings is an illness of society.
I'd say that this comment was pretty stupid, to be honest mate.

It's a thread about someone who is in serious condition in hospital. He said something insensitive 20 years ago, and paid the price. It's not like he's an evil person. Either wish the guy well, or just don't comment. Basic human decency seems to allude you here.

Reactions: Sultan

UnrelatedPsuedo

Wrong thread.
Why?

Someone suffering = massive public outpouring of faux sensitivity.....

That's a busted system.

Hoddle is a twat. He was a phenomenal footballer. But he's a twat. The fact that he fell over does not detract from that.

If Trump had a Heart attack tomorrow, people would be gleeful.

Me expressing Hoddles (still held) views on life at a time of his possible time of need... feck him to be honest.

I'll refrain from posting on the thread as it offends others. But Glenn Hoddle the man is a grade A twat.

SparkedIntoLife

Only if you believe that what he said isnt one of the most disgusting things to say and believe.
If you believe exactly the opposite as I do, its exactly the time to do it.
Its also the place to do it. Its a public forum.
If I was communicating directly with his family and friends obviously I wouldnt be bringing this up, but as I say this is a public forum.
its not rocket science.
I do believe what he said was reprehensible (as far as reported). However, two wrongs don't make a right. I don't pretend to know or like Hoddle. He made a great impact on English football and helped relaunch the careers of many young players who otherwise would be out the game through his academy in Spain. I don't know if he's contrite about his views from 20 years ago or even if he was quoted properly.

You have the freedom of speech to show disdain for him and you're right this is a public forum. However, I and others find it pretty distasteful and unnecessary when the guy might well be close to death's door at a fairly young age. What are these critical comments achieving? No one's calling him a saint; just expressing sympathy as collapsing in a TV studio on your 61st birthday is a pretty shitty thing to happen for him and his family. It's wise to be publicly sensitive especially with the other football related disaster today. I think sometimes it's good just to button it and hold your views to yourself.

manc exile

Supports
City
Feck me.

I dont have to imagine that.
I have lived that.
It was upsetting, but its the nature of free speech.
In my relatives case, what she had said and believed was disgusting and I could understand the anger that was directed at her. I loved, mourned and miss her despite those beliefs.

There is obviously a point at which actions and beliefs are so bad that they are the defining aspect of someone and therefore will be raised when they become ill or die. I believe that Hoddles views on the disabled people are definately well beyond that point and is therefore appropriate to raise them in a public space. You obviously disagree.

MAME DIOUF 32

He looks in very good shape for 61. Hopefully one of those situations where looking after yourself pays off and he pulls through.

manc exile

Supports
City
I do believe what he said was reprehensible (as far as reported). However, two wrongs don't make a right. I don't pretend to know or like Hoddle. He made a great impact on English football and helped relaunch the careers of many young players who otherwise would be out the game through his academy in Spain. I don't know if he's contrite about his views from 20 years ago or even if he was quoted properly.

You have the freedom of speech to show disdain for him and you're right this is a public forum. However, I and others find it pretty distasteful and unnecessary when the guy might well be close to death's door at a fairly young age. What are these critical comments achieving? No one's calling him a saint; just expressing sympathy as collapsing in a TV studio on your 61st birthday is a pretty shitty thing to happen for him and his family. It's wise to be publicly sensitive especially with the other football related disaster today. I think sometimes it's good just to button it and hold your views to yourself.
My posts have also done that. I do hope he recovers and lives a long life.
But I feel the need to highlight his disgusting views because to me they are the defining aspect of his life because they are so awful they overshadow all he achieved in football.
I too think it is good to button it and hold your views to yourself on most occasions, however there comes a point when the defining aspect of the person in the public eye is so horrible it overcomes that natural impulse. I think Hoddle does that to me.
He obviously doesnt for you, but someone will.