"Glory Hunters"

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Great to see the backlash. Moaners and fly by night supporters out.
(Washes hair).
God, Spurs are doing very well though. Kane could grow on a person. Bye, everyone! :)

SirAF

Ageist
Would I have started watching and supporting United if they won nowt? Hell no.

After being a supporter for about 20 years am I going to stop if they stop winning trophies? Hell no.

Foxbatt

The short answer is:

After being a supporter for about 20 years am I going to stop if they stop winning trophies? Hell no.
I started supporting United because of Bestie. We did not win much during those period after 68. In fact went down to the 2nd division too. I still supported United though they were not winning even then and will continue to do so even if they go down to the Championship again.

SirAF

Ageist
I started supporting United because of Bestie. We did not win much during those period after 68. In fact went down to the 2nd division too. I still supported United though they were not winning even then and will continue to do so even if they go down to the Championship again.
Exactly, mate. I don't think it matters much how you come about a club, as long as you stick with them.

Foxbatt

Did I get frustrated with SAF? Of course I did. Many times. Because of his team selections, because of his tactics etc. Did I call for him to be sacked or slate him like some do to Jose here now? Of course not. Did I ever wanted him sacked and Jose brought in here because he was winning with Chelsea and later with Inter. No.
Would I have preferred Pep to come here after SAF retired. Yes.
But he did not come. He refused and now we have Jose who is completely different and plays an entirely different way. Right now I support him to the fullest because he has lifted us from the glooms of the days of Moyes and we are have only lost one game away and drawn one game away and we have so much injuries. We are second in the PL and have won all of our group games so far in the CL.
The funny thing is probably Spurs would want to exchange positions with us if they can. Second in the league and winning all CL group games or third in the league and not winning all CL group games?

walkinhop

The 'Glory Hunter' thing is down to our support from outside Manchester. I grew up in the 60's and 70's in Manchester. You either supported Utd or City, depending largely where in Manchester you came from. You supported either club because of the 'culture' - your family, your mates, your school etc. I was never called a Glory Hunter because I lived in Gorton which was largely a City area. The school I went to was virtually all City, but I was local and everybody recognised why you supported one team or the other - yes I got victimised, but that was for being red rather than blue and in places like Salford, the boot was on the other foot.

City fans (and pretty much fans of every other club) referred to us as 'Glory Hunters' because we were (or had been) very successful, we were always challengers and crucially, we had huge support from far flung areas where the only logical argument for following Utd was their success. These areas had no Utd 'culture' that they embraced, no schools where it was largely Utd fans, etc. That is not an insult to those Utd fans from around the World and I'm sure that many can point to family links etc, but our success was a crucial basis for the global support.

We are no different to Liverpool and Arsenal, but we differ from the rest. The common denominator between Utd/Liverpool/Arsenal is historical success.

It is, of course, a criticism which is borne out of jealousy. At least we've had Glory to hunt, so in the final analysis, who gives a shit?
Aren't many fans drawn by success? In my opinion, it's the switching that is against the tribal code of conduct.

Claymore

A glory supporter is probably answered by 3 questions:

What team do you support?
Where we you born/from?
Where do you live now?

If the first one is Manchester and the bottom two isn't then you are a glory hunter fan, no matter what great story you come up with about your dad, mate, or best friends dog supporting. Most of us will answer Manchester only to the top of those 3 questions, and so to will most of these new Manchester City wearing fans who crop up all over the country now. And it was the same for a lot of the Liverpool fans in the 80's etc. Many of their kids also grew up supporting them, but just because that was when they didn't win anything doesn't mean they aren't a glory fan.

RedDevil@84

Where we you born/from?
Where do you live now?

If the first one is Manchester and the bottom two isn't then you are a glory hunter fan, no matter what great story you come up with about your dad, mate, or best friends dog supporting. Most of us will answer Manchester only to the top of those 3 questions, and so to will most of these new Manchester City wearing fans who crop up all over the country now. And it was the same for a lot of the Liverpool fans in the 80's etc. Many of their kids also grew up supporting them, but just because that was when they didn't win anything doesn't mean they aren't a glory fan.
You forgot to add this part
- And both Manchester clubs desperately need this glory hunter fans (by above definition) for survival in the cash filled league

Kapardin

Where we you born/from?
Where do you live now?

If anyone is wasting time obsessing over these shite questions and caring about whether some random person 5000 miles on the other side of the globe rates their fandom or not, instead of just enjoying watching football and his/her team, then it truly is a sad life.

Blue always red

Loooool, I'm a passionate United fan and my mid-day weekends revolve around the football, however I've seen some foreign fans that live and breath United. Just because I was born and raised in Manchester and they weren't doesn't mean they are glory hunters. Sometimes, the romanticism around something pulls us in...

Green_Red

I really doubt that.
I don't know man, there a lot of old timers on here. If you're born in the early to mid 80s then there's a very good chance. Also, lots of people will support based on their parents.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Look, come on. It's not Manchester of United. It is Old Trafford. Best players this club ever had include Irishmen, a Frenchman, Scousers, etc. etc. So less of your its-my-local-club-the-rest-of-you-feck-off. Take a look around OT these days; its a very multi-national vibe, in the stands and on the field. If 'Glory Hunters' means anything, its to do with people who play some of these video games and expect the stuff they see on the telly to be the same, with all this 'my bad' and 'back passes are bad' and other clueless stuff; clueless keyboard warriors. But even those people do love the spectacle, and will learn perhaps over time about the subtleties of the game. We should be tolerant of everyone in here, if they make the effort. I was a kid in Ireland back in the day, besotted with the glamour of the British game. I bought Shoot and put cut-out pictures of my heroes in a diary. I listened to games on the radio and watched Match of the Day. It was as real to me as being in the Stretford End. So don't discount the romance.

Match day threads in here can be a bit weird, a very different vibe online than being in the stands. I am constantly supporting posters who give out to mindless moaners, or those who come across as experts but seem to have no football memory. In my view it is vital to preserve the traditions of the club, if it is to have anything other than a corporate identity; there should always be a place of honour for actual Manchester locals in the Caf, and especially the older supporters who have seen it all. I love to hear their stories. I am not cynical about this club. I love to hear Dimitar Berbatov on the telly talking MUTD, and listen to Cantona, Roy Keane and Paul Scholes and Rio: - just as much I think as that young Yorkshire boy Bobby Charlton - these lads have the club logo embroidered on their souls.

But anyone - young or old, match going or not, male or female or anything in between - any true supporter, from whereever, from near or far; anyone who harbours such feelings when watching Manchester United can never be called a 'Glory Hunter'.

minoo-utd

Simple sentence, It's all about Man.United. I live in Egypt, never been to O.T unfortunately but soon i will, I feel obsessed by United it's always on my mind never missed a single game for years, even though I pay good money for channels to see United live on air, The weekend is about United if we win It's great weekend if not then vice versa, My wife my lil kid knows exactly what the club means to me, in bad times before the good, It's been more than 18 years now no matter what happened happens will happen to the team I fully support. no matter what some local fans say, I'm more passionate than some. Guess what many here in my country are the same. United through and through.

minoo-utd

Look, come on. It's not Manchester of United. It is Old Trafford. Best players this club ever had include Irishmen, a Frenchman, Scousers, etc. etc. So less of your its-my-local-club-the-rest-of-you-feck-off. Take a look around OT these days; its a very multi-national vibe, in the stands and on the field. If 'Glory Hunters' means anything, its to do with people who play some of these video games and expect the stuff they see on the telly to be the same, with all this 'my bad' and 'back passes are bad' and other clueless stuff; clueless keyboard warriors. But even those people do love the spectacle, and will learn perhaps over time about the subtleties of the game. We should be tolerant of everyone in here, if they make the effort. I was a kid in Ireland back in the day, besotted with the glamour of the British game. I bought Shoot and put cut-out pictures of my heroes in a diary. I listened to games on the radio and watched Match of the Day. It was as real to me as being in the Stretford End. So don't discount the romance.

Match day threads in here can be a bit weird, a very different vibe online than being in the stands. I am constantly supporting posters who give out to mindless moaners, or those who come across as experts but seem to have no football memory. In my view it is vital to preserve the traditions of the club, if it is to have anything other than a corporate identity; there should always be a place of honour for actual Manchester locals in the Caf, and especially the older supporters who have seen it all. I love to hear their stories. I am not cynical about this club. I love to hear Dimitar Berbatov on the telly talking MUTD, and listen to Cantona, Roy Keane and Paul Scholes and Rio: - just as much I think as that young Yorkshire boy Bobby Charlton - these lads have the club logo embroidered on their souls.

But anyone - young or old, match going or not, male or female or anything in between - any true supporter, from whereever, from near or far; anyone who harbours such feelings when watching Manchester United can never be called a 'Glory Hunter'.
Thank you. It really hurts when hearing the word glory hunter, because I'm not a local fan, United has a great fan base and the club is proud to have so should the loc fans too, it turns money to the club and lots of successful business, we share same love same passion we don't miss a game for years we shed too many tears joy and agony, we just love Manchester United as much as you do and no matter what we always will. Thank you again.

Plato

I don't know man, there a lot of old timers on here. If you're born in the early to mid 80s then there's a very good chance. Also, lots of people will support based on their parents.
Looking at the members list, the modal age seems to be around 28 or 29 (can't be bothered to work out the mean).

There are a lot more long-timers than I expected tho. I'm 27 and from London. I don't think I glory hunted, it was just United were the only team I knew when I was 3. Giggs was a proper superstar and I was obsessed with him.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"

Where we you born/from?
Where do you live now?

Posts like this are the worst ones on this forum.

I don't live in Manchester, but i've supported them all my life, even before SAF, and the days when we were winning everything. When i started supporting them, i had no clue if they were winning or not, i started supporting them cause my uncle told me to, and kept buying United stuff to me for birthdays and christmas.

By your post, it looks like you don't know what the term 'glory hunter' even means.
It means you start supporting a team that's winning, and that's it. Born in Manchester or somewhere in Peru, doesn't matter.

I know a guy in my hometown in Norway, who does not live in Liverpool, but has seen them live over 600 matches in a row, including away games in Europe. He might be a glory hunter because he started supporting them in the 70-80's, but he's still a better fan of his club than many can claim to be.

People who live abroad will in most cases support their local teams aswell, i know i do, but nowhere near as close as i follow United. Their results won't affect me as much as United's results does either.
These teams will never meet in a competitive match anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Many in Norway started supporting United because of Solskjær. We never had many superstar footballers here, but we always keep an eye on how Norwegians do when they sign for a big club. Sure, we were winning alot, that might have affected some of them, but i genuinely think that most didn't stick to supporting United cause they were winning.

It's not the same as kids who started to support City or Chelsea when they got unlimited amount of money, and bought the league, not even close.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Nothing wrong with just being a fan. Supporters are definitely a different breed in my eyes - go to games; support the team home and away; sing songs and all that jazz. If you've been a game in the past 5 years then I'd call you a supporter. I used to go to games frequently when I was a teenager but not for ages so I've no issue calling myself 'just a fan' these days.

I don't feel bad if we lose or draw anymore. I do what I do because I like the club - not because I consider it part of my life. I think it's sensible but feel free to disagree.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
If your sense of identity is so precarious that you dislike someone who supports the same club as you but lives somewhere else, then you're probably a bit thick and would make an ideal City supporter.

montpelier

I really don't understand why anyone is horrifically frustrated, atm. We're 2nd in the League, behind a very good team in very good form. Utd have been scoring a few goals (yes, they have). Not everything is perfect, but this is football.

Dunno if glory-hunter is quite the right term though.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I really don't understand why anyone is horrifically frustrated, atm. We're 2nd in the League, behind a very good team in very good form. Utd have been scoring a few goals (yes, they have). Not everything is perfect, but this is football.

Dunno if glory-hunter is quite the right term though.
Because people are idiotic, spoilt,
and want everything to be perfect.

carlosp

Hear! Hear!

carlosp

Where we you born/from?
Where do you live now?

What a load of hogwash.

I am Portuguese however I was born in South Africa. I have never been to Manchester or ever seen a United game(even when they came to SA).

I grew up supporting Sporting(because my dad was a fan). However I also grew up supporting United(late 70's) when we got a TV at home and the only football they showed at the time was mainly the English First Division. United at that time never won but I liked the team the best. I support Kaiser Chiefs in SA but I don't support KC or SCP nearly as much as I support Manchester United or spend as much following news etc.

I don't believe a supporter needs to live in a certain country or in a certain city to be a proper club supporter.

I do however want to watch a live Manchester United game sometime in the near future.

Kapardin

Thank you. It really hurts when hearing the word glory hunter, because I'm not a local fan, United has a great fan base and the club is proud to have so should the loc fans too, it turns money to the club and lots of successful business, we share same love same passion we don't miss a game for years we shed too many tears joy and agony, we just love Manchester United as much as you do and no matter what we always will. Thank you again.
Why should it hurt what some random guy whom you don't even know claims? Does it have any impact on you watching the games or supporting the club? You should actually be laughing at how the other guy is talking about it so seriously.

I personally find the whole idea of taking the opinions of other fans on your "fan status" seriously as hilarious. Whether they call you a true fan or a fake fan, you are not going to get medals or pelters for it from anyone.

Sometimes the culture of football is quite childish, there are certainly more important things in life than caring about glory hunter or tr00 kvlt fan tags. Just chill and enjoy the football.

DanClancy

There's a lot of reds from around the country who spend a small fortune following United around the country and throughout Europe but the majority of them picked United because we are a huge club.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Even though I believe season ticket holders opinions are the most important when discussing the club, where your from or how much you moan about the club is irrelevant in this debate.

It all comes down to this; if you lose interest in the team because they are not doing well/they’re unsuccessful then you are a glory hunter. If you find yourself not watching games, following results, the team or the club news in general because we aren’t a good team anymore then that tells you everything.

You can curse the club till the cows come home but if your addiction to the club is determined by how well they are doing on the pitch then your not a supporter.

GBBQ

The short answer is:

Exactly this, most non Manchester based supporters under 40 were probably won over at some point in the last 30 years because United are so successful. Where I grew up, in primary school, it was United or Liverpool. We're 40 miles from our nearest professional Irish football team so there is no affinity there and add into the mix a couple of Irish players like Irwin and Keane doing well and there was a reason to invest in them outside of the trophies. So a Manchester based ticket holder probably is a bigger fan than I am of course but it doesn't diminish the experiences I have had over the years.

You forgot to add this part
- And both Manchester clubs desperately need this glory hunter fans (by above definition) for survival in the cash filled league
Another huge point, United are as successful as they are because of the global fan base; they don't complain about it, they embrace it.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Personally, find the need to explain the term itself, label people based on it, feeling a need to explain why you support the club to anyone else or bothering about it as complete waste of your time.

ZAGREB RED

Even if this current United team wins the Title and more, I doubt that many glory hunters will attach themselves due to the perceived lack of style at OT, which, let's face it isn't a bad thing. City and Spurs are the media darlings just now so they will probably tend to attract any current bandwagon jumpers.

Foxbatt

I actually respect all those fans around the World who has never ever been to Old Trafford but yet support United through the bad times as well as the good times. I know there are millions of fans who do so. I have met many who get upset and moody when United lose. I have met many who save for their salaries just to make at least one trip to Old Trafford to see United.
It is absolutely ridiculous to call these glory hunters. They spend a lot more than a season ticket to travel to Manchester to see United. They most of the time cannot get tickets and have to pay exorbitant prices to a tout outside to get a ticket. To them it is a dream come true to finally see United play. I can say categorically they are not Glory Hunters.

Richard Cranium

14 of 20 Premier League clubs have foreign owners and fans argue with themselves about 'glory hunting'... football is global now.

No PL club would be sustainable if their fanbase was derived only from their respective city. That's the madness of it. City fans calling United fans from outside of Manchester "glory hunters" when they are only still in the PL and competitive because of their Middle Eastern owners.

Hypocrisy.

Foxbatt

14 of 20 Premier League clubs have foreign owners and fans argue with themselves about 'glory hunting'... football is global now.

No PL club would be sustainable if their fanbase was derived only from their respective city. That's the madness of it. City fans calling United fans from outside of Manchester "glory hunters" when they are only still in the PL and competitive because of their Middle Eastern owners.

Hypocrisy.
Of course they are. They even have an aircraft in City colours. The same with Leicester too. Half the stuff at the duty free at BKK airport is Leicester stuff. LOL. To be honest United has not done half of the promotion they can do around the world. They can triple their fan base if they try to do so.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Even though I believe season ticket holders opinions are the most important when discussing the club, where your from or how much you moan about the club is irrelevant in this debate.

It all comes down to this; if you lose interest in the team because they are not doing well/they’re unsuccessful then you are a glory hunter. If you find yourself not watching games, following results, the team or the club news in general because we aren’t a good team anymore then that tells you everything.

You can curse the club till the cows come home but if your addiction to the club is determined by how well they are doing on the pitch then your not a supporter.
Uhmm, what?