Goal of the season so far...

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
No because the goal wouldn't have counted. It would probably appear on one of those YouTube videos called "the best goals that never were".
So this one should count in the competition? I t would be odd if it won, and I'm sure many would complain.

FujiVice

If Mkhitaryan's goal is offside, then please take our World Cup off us, because we live in a country where nobody mentions Geoff Hurst's 2nd goal didnt cross the line. If the ref gives it, its a goal.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Henderson v Chelsea was an absolute scorcher.

Deleted member 101472

Just to be clear here. You can't say mkhitaryans GOAL was OFFSIDE because you can't have both. The linesmen decided to favour the attacker in a bid to nail down goal of the season, cheers line-o

JeffBoomTetris

Payet's goal against Boro and Hazard's 2nd vs Everton. That's the type of goal i.e. solo dribbling goal that makes me put my hand over my gob

Last edited:

adamwest

Henderson for me. He's a bit of a tit but you can't take that goal away from him - what a strike.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
If Mkhitaryan's goal is offside, then please take our World Cup off us, because we live in a country where nobody mentions Geoff Hurst's 2nd goal didnt cross the line. If the ref gives it, its a goal.
We're not judging whether it stood or not. We're judging how good it is. Him being miles offside obviously detracts from the quality of the goal because anyone else who does the same doesn't result in a goal. It's a mistake from him to be offside, poor movement, even if it stands.

It's a fluke, basically.

kidbob

Jeff hendricks hands down. Can't include Henderson in the conversation because he's obviously the best midfielder ever so it should be expected from him.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Mkhitaryan's goal is the best so far, quite easily. Anyone who thinks otherwise or thinks the offside is relevant is an idiot. Which is why I'm not surprised to see @B20 arguing this point. ;)

Henderson's goal against Chelsea was pretty awesome, Borini's against us was great and I loved Zlatan's against City. Haven't seen Hendricks's goal though.

TheReligion

Abusive
We're not judging whether it stood or not. We're judging how good it is. Him being miles offside obviously detracts from the quality of the goal because anyone else who does the same doesn't result in a goal. It's a mistake from him to be offside, poor movement, even if it stands.

It's a fluke, basically.
Emre Can taught him that technique. He's on course to be the best midfielder in the PL don't you know.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Heart says Mkhi, head says Jeff Hendrick. (No 's' lads...)

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool

It's a fluke, basically.
Kind of a fluke but top players bring their own luck at times. However, it being offside means it'll go down in history with an asterisk next to it.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
I'm not sure it will get as much attention but the non-United goal I have enjoyed the most this season was Vardy's second vs City. The first-time pass from Mahrez was unbelievable.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Well, Giroud's definitely bettered it.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Giroud, Mkhitaryan and Hendrick are my top 3. Henderson's was obviously a very good goal, but you see those scored once a week somewhere in one of the other leagues in Europe, doesn't have goal of the season on it for me. Compare it to one of the goal of the month contenders in December 2006, and it's not that special.

Now Giroud has made the scorpion goal common, but the fact is, it literally never happens. And Hendrick's, it's just three perfect touches and the perfectly looping half volley that hits the back of the net, so aesthetically pleasing.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Dunno about that. Mikhi being airborn added to the aesthetics. Otherwise nothing between them.
Travel time of the pass looked about the same for both to adjust. The tighter angle, slower pace of the ball, and beating the keeper at the near post swing it Giroud's way for me.

Bernerr

Supports
Bayern
Travel time of the pass looked about the same for both to adjust. The tighter angle, slower pace of the ball, and beating the keeper at the near post swing it Giroud's way for me.
Surley more luck involved in girouds goal but definitely the tougher one of two really tough goals for me. At the end its a question of taste if you are more into circus shots like these goals or long ranges ones like hendricks/henderson or great dribbling/solo efforts like payet or a nice series of passes

lsd

The Oracle
Girouds goal will clearly go down as better than Mikhis as better play and obviously onside so hopefully Hendrix will win it based on what we have seen so far this season

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
It's incredible that I've never seen a finish like Mkhi's before and then Giroud has gone and emulated (and bettered) it a week later.

Ixion

I liked Mkhitaryan's goal but at no point did I think yeah that's goal of the season and Giroud's seemed even luckier I wouldn't give it to that one either.

lsd

The Oracle
Irrelevant. A goal's a goal.
Yes I know that but still at the end of the day of you have two similar goals and one of them was either offside or involved some type of foul in the build up most people will always side with the other goal scored without any sort of blemish .

MarkC

Between Mhiki's and Giroud i'd say there is more skill in the first.

Giroud's looked better for the cameras being further out and going in off the bar. Mhikitaryian's he was off the ground and couldn't see the ball when he hit it. First time i've ever seen it i'd break a leg if I tried this no doubt.

Giroud's when your running forward and the ball is behind you that skill is quite natural and instinctive. Getting it on target is the hard part but i'd say there is more luck in this goal.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I liked Mkhitaryan's goal but at no point did I think yeah that's goal of the season and Giroud's seemed even luckier I wouldn't give it to that one either.
Both goals are much more technique and timing than luck.

Henrik's goal the best of 2016 and Giroud probably best of 2017. These goals take a lot of skill and technique but also require a player being in complete flow of the match. They are instinctual but require a very high level of training to be able to pull off spontaneously.

Here is Zico explaining his very similar goal to both