Goalkeepers and penalties - do some of them always dive the same way?

Patchbeard

Whenever I'm in goal and facing a penalty (or a 1-on-1 and have to gamble dive to one side) I always want to dive the same way every time, as this feels like the natural way my body likes to dive/flop/fall. From speaking to other absolute amateurs like myself it seems they also have favoured side and it isn't necessarily related to whether you are right or left hand/footed.

Now, I've never really considered that pro GKs would also be like this, as I thought they would train themselves to become just as good at diving either way.

But last night Kepa dived the same way on all 6 pens (to his right), so after the first 3 it made me think that this is his favoured side and by the end of the shootout I was screaming for the Villareal players to keep going the other way, and they didn't listen!

The first penalty he saved (2nd one) was actually a pretty decent penalty, and he very nearly saved the next one which was right in the corner, so they were pretty impressive dives to be fair. Villareal went the other way on pens 4 & 5, but no.6 next foolishly went to his right and it was a comfortable save and game over.

So, now I'm thinking maybe even some pro GKs will still have a tendency/preference to dive a certain side when facing pens. And also surely opposition coaches would've spotted this last night and anyone who's taking a pen against Kepa anytime soon should be advised to wait until he dives right to slot it left, or just go for the left corner if you don't have the Bruno stutter in your locker.

We often get a graphic showing you where the penalty taker has hit their last x number of pens, but not which way the keeper has dived for theirs... would be interesting I think.

We often get a graphic showing you where the penalty taker has hit their last x number of pens, but not which way the keeper has dived for theirs... would be interesting I think.
Because the keeper dives according to the penalty taker, not the other way around.

Kepa is a truly awful keeper. I wouldn't use him as a measure of anything.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I guess statistically they're thinking if they dive the same way every time they're bound to go the right way on a few of them.

Better in their minds than constantly changing or going off instinct and potentially missing all of them. The equivalent of turning a USB over multiple times trying to slot it in but it never works.

Patchbeard

Because the keeper dives according to the penalty taker, not the other way around.

Kepa is a truly awful keeper. I wouldn't use him as a measure of anything.
Yes maybe I was a little hasty...

I'll definitely be keeping an eye out in other shootouts though. It would be a hard trend to spot in other GKs without shootouts or graphics though.

Yes maybe I was a little hasty...

I'll definitely be keeping an eye out in other shootouts though. It would be a hard trend to spot in other GKs without shootouts or graphics though.
Don't do it with De Gea, he dives whichever way the striker doesn't go.

I think for a keeper its easier to dive to the side of the striker's favoured foot, but any top level keeper will have studied the opponent and know which way they should be going beforehand.

Foxbatt

Yes it's not only for keepers too. Everyone has a favoured side.
As for the penalties, it's better not to try to guess and make a decision before. Good chances are that 2 of the 5 are hit straight down the middle and could be saved if the keeper doesn't commit before.

Bash92

Yes, i use to keep for my school when I was young and when it comes to penalties I always dive to a particular side. Without even thinking about. But whenever I want to dive to the other side am not comfortable with, I have to be very determined and keep it in mind before the penalty is taken.

I think it also have something to do with, whether the goal keeper is right handed or left hand.