Film Godzilla Minus One

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Booked my ticket to see this Monday...

Anybody seen it yet?

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
I haven't seen it yet but I've heard pretty much nothing but good things about it.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Was waiting for it to show at the Broadway but I don't think it is? Might catch it at the Savoy next week instead.
Saver Monday ticket for a fiver. Doesn't get any better than that. Can't wait!

noodlehair

"It's like..."
From the film title I'm assuming this is just a film about there being 0 godzillas, which sounds boring but probably still better than the 1994 film "godzilla"

Much in the same way that being threatened with minus one punch in the face would be better than being threatened with a punch in the face.

Yes I'm drunk

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Jesus wept. This is a thing now? King Kong and Godzilla is the new Messi and Ronaldo?
Kong is just a chest beating merchant but Godzilla definitely took HGH when he was younger.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Do I have to watch some other movie to understand this one?

Chumpsbechumps

I'm avoiding all reviews, clips and trailers, apart from the one I posted until Monday.
I enjoyed it. Was surprised the screening was full.

Won’t say anymore then that as I hate people who say way too much about movies

Chumpsbechumps

Excellent! How does it stack up against the MonsterVerse offerings?
It’s entirely different to be fair. One of the things I liked about it was how different it is to the Hollywood blockbuster. I noticed use of dramatic music far less and more focus on character development. Some of the quirky , perhaps cultural elements of Japanese movie making felt like a nice change from the usual ingredients you get with the Hollywood franchise.

There really were parts of it that felt familiar with the old Japanese Godzilla stuff. I remember fondly watching them on channel 4 one time when they showed them regularly.

It kind of has a B movie feel to it which is intentional and works for me.

I would wonder how people who don’t really know or have any fondness of the old Japanese godzilla monies would feel about it, but my son and I really enjoyed it.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
It’s entirely different to be fair. One of the things I liked about it was how different it is to the Hollywood blockbuster. I noticed use of dramatic music far less and more focus on character development. Some of the quirky , perhaps cultural elements of Japanese movie making felt like a nice change from the usual ingredients you get with the Hollywood franchise.

There really were parts of it that felt familiar with the old Japanese Godzilla stuff. I remember fondly watching them on channel 4 one time when they showed them regularly.

It kind of has a B movie feel to it which is intentional and works for me.

I would wonder how people who don’t really know or have any fondness of the old Japanese godzilla monies would feel about it, but my son and I really enjoyed it.
Great review thanks. I think I've watched every Godzilla offering there has been over the years. The mashups with Mothra, Rodan, Kong, MechaGodzilla, Hedorah, Ghidorah, Gigan etc. bring back good memories. I liked Shin Godzilla, although it was a tad too slow for me. But I love asian filmmaking on the whole anyway, subtitles and all. So the original Japanese spin is perfectly fine with me. Can't wait till Monday now.

Gazautd18

Looks proper.
Only heard about it last week but feedback looks positive.

Chumpsbechumps

Great review thanks. I think I've watched every Godzilla offering there has been over the years. The mashups with Mothra, Rodan, Kong, MechaGodzilla, Hedorah, Ghidorah, Gigan etc. bring back good memories. I liked Shin Godzilla, although it was a tad too slow for me. But I love asian filmmaking on the whole anyway, subtitles and all. So the original Japanese spin is perfectly fine with me. Can't wait till Monday now.
It’s been decades since I watched all the old Godzilla movies , I mean 1980/90s ago! All I remember is just really enjoying them. I didn’t actually know my son had watched them all recently and as I said he loved it.

I really hope you enjoy it, everybody in the showing that I was at seemed to be happy out.

It’s been decades since I watched all the old Godzilla movies , I mean 1980/90s ago! All I remember is just really enjoying them.

kclord

Watched it last week. Enjoyed it as well. Interesting comparison to Shin Godzilla which took a macro-level view to the monster mash. Minus One focused on one man and the small circle around him. Both work!

Also, the Godzilla theme is just perfect.

RORY65

I can tell it will already shit all over the other recent films made. Looks amazing
It definitely does, it's really well made in comparison to a lot of the blockbuster Hollywood efforts, Godzilla is actually scary unlike in some of the more recent efforts and it even has some genuine moments of emotion.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Just come back from watching this. Wasn't what I was expecting. More of a human story than a monster mashup, with Godzilla playing a strong supporting lead role. But great nonetheless. Very different to the MonsterVerse offerings and a lesson to Hollywood in character development.

20solskjaer

Man, going to the cinema alone is awesome. As @Snowjoe would say, have you considered growing up?
I dont doubt it is, and i get that going to the cinema isnt a social thing either, its an anxiety thing i have though, pretty much the same reason i dont go to the pub to have a beer on my own despite knowing people in the pub or why i havnt joined a gym

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I dont doubt it is, and i get that going to the cinema isnt a social thing either, its an anxiety thing i have though, pretty much the same reason i dont go to the pub to have a beer on my own despite knowing people in the pub or why i havnt joined a gym
Ok now I feel bad cos anxiety is no joke, and I actually was there after my divorce (used to go to the cinema with the ex all the time, and then struggled to go for a while). Have you ever actually done it alone? (the cinema, I know he's probably masturbated before) Was it a bad moment? My experience is that it was awkward at first, but I sort of reclaimed going to the cinema as being an enjoyable moment. But it was part of wider efforts/therapy, so it might not apply.

Apologies for being snarky initially though.

20solskjaer

Ok now I feel bad cos anxiety is no joke, and I actually was there after my divorce (used to go to the cinema with the ex all the time, and then struggled to go for a while). Have you ever actually done it alone? (the cinema, I know he's probably masturbated before) Was it a bad moment? My experience is that it was awkward at first, but I sort of reclaimed going to the cinema as being an enjoyable moment. But it was part of wider efforts/therapy, so it might not apply.

Apologies for being snarky initially though.
No worries, never tried to go alone, i’ve tried pub multiple times and usually end up coming home again

Pretty much dont go cinema now unless its something i can go to with my 9 year old, not sure she would be up for the subtitles :lol:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I have to admit that I didn't have much interest in this until I just watched the trailer. Now I really want to see it. I also like how Godzilla isn't a stupid looking dinosaur in this, and more of a chonky spikey boi, just like Radioactive Jesus intended.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I still think Godzilla looks ridiculous. But its a good film.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Really want to go see this but dont want to go alone like some saddo
I'm guessing you haven't been recently? There were about 7 other people in my screening today watching the film alone. Most films I've been to have a fair representation of people going alone. I can't remember the film last year, but there was a woman sitting a few seats from me and she fell asleep and started snoring her head off! In another film, a woman sitting one seat away me from started chatting and we ended up sharing nibbles.
It really is no big deal.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Be warned...they show the extended version of your Sky Cinema ad. First time I seen it in all its glory! :)
Ffs I think that's the 60" version, at least it's better than the 30". There's a 90" version (that was the one I actually liked) but that one is only for overseas :(