Film Gone Girl

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
87% on Rotten Tomatoes, 9.0 on IMDB so far. Releasing tomorrow here in the US.

A bunch of reviewers suggesting that Rosamund Pike might win an Oscar for her performance. Excited for this. Weird to see Tyler Perry in a Fincher movie though.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
Just heard about this. Definitely sounds like one to give a watch.

Zen

It's quite bonkers really. But it's good, and entertaining, with a half-decent satire thrown in there. Can't seeing it lasting to course for a big awards run though, it just isn't good enough to get away with such an early release(Boyhood will probably also struggle to sustain it's momentum too, though it's a superior film). Pike could be the only big 6 nominee come February.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I have read the book and found it very good, movie might not be the same because I already know the ending (although from what I have read they decided to change the plot slightly from the original) but I still want to see it. It releases in Poland next Friday so I'm probably going to see it after weekend.

MoskvaRed

I saw it last night (haven't read the book). It starts slowly (with barely audible dialogue, at least at my local cinema) and then turns into an entertaining thriller with some marital power games/sadism thrown in along the lines of Polanski's "Bitter Moon". But the characters didn't really engage me (maybe with the exception of the sister of Ben Affleck's character) and the plot twists wouldn't stand up to too much scrutiny. In terms of awards, the other film I saw recently ("A Most Wanted Man") seemed more deserving, at least in terms of the central acting performance.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I saw it last night (haven't read the book). It starts slowly (with barely audible dialogue, at least at my local cinema) and then turns into an entertaining thriller with some marital power games/sadism thrown in along the lines of Polanski's "Bitter Moon". But the characters didn't really engage me (maybe with the exception of the sister of Ben Affleck's character) and the plot twists wouldn't stand up to too much scrutiny. In terms of awards, the other film I saw recently ("A Most Wanted Man") seemed more deserving, at least in terms of the central acting performance.
Well in terms of twists they did not have that much room for creativity, it was based on a bestselling book and had to stay close to the script.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
I saw it on the first night, absolutely loved it. Film of the year for me, very disturbing and the odd shock scene. Rosamund Pike, who plays Amy was absolutely brilliant.

Golden Nugget

Read the book and felt it was excellent. Didn't expect much from the movie, but was quite surprised. Not excellent, but still a very good movie. Some parts were understandably left out, but they stuck with the book for most and being a fan of the book, I loved it.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Really enjoyed it. Haven't read the book.

Definitely recommend it.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Holy sweet feck. I just watched it and it was chilling; incredibly disturbing. Fantastic film but the ending left me seriously fecked up.

coolredwine

lameredboots
This movie has had me scarred. Chilling to say the least.

Haven't read the book though. Would probably order it in a couple of weeks.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Just watched this tonight actually. I always find that movies fall a little short if I've read the book, just on account of so much being omitted by necessity because of the obvious time constraint. This was no different, and I felt the depth of the two main characters was completely lost in translation, even though they were very well cast. At first I was a bit bothered by Rosamund Pike constantly whispering her lines, but by the end she really had the character's appearance nailed down. And Ben Affleck really has the washed up, uninspired guy down to a tee, so he was always going to be good in this one.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Watched this the other day and thought it was great. Bitches be crazy.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Watched this the other day and thought it was great. Bitches be crazy.
I thought it was great right up until the ending where I was like "is that it?". What a let down and the 'ending' if you can even call it that kind of ruined it for me.

MajorTom

The best film of last year that I watched. No stupid explosions, special effects, explosions, cgi, explosions etc. A good adaptation, a good thriller that gives twists and turns (more or less) throughout it and leaves it up to your imagination or lack of to what transpired. Why more directors/producers can't use language as the key ingredient in film is baffling to me.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
The best film of last year that I watched. No stupid explosions, special effects, explosions, cgi, explosions etc. A good adaptation, a good thriller that gives twists and turns (more or less) throughout it and leaves it up to your imagination or lack of to what transpired. Why more directors/producers can't use language as the key ingredient in film is baffling to me.
Because film is a visual medium. If anything less language should be used.

MajorTom

Because film is a visual medium. If anything less language should be used.
I knew that was going to happen when writing it. You can just use it as a medium to give added extra without being over reliant and lavish with it, pushing the story to the back burner. The written/spoken language should always be at the forefront, the defining factor, that isn't the case any longer. Thrillers for this reason are my favourite genre of film and will continue to be so.

JB7

Went along to see this when it was at the cinema pretty reluctantly with my girlfriend as she had read the book & wanted to see the film, but must admit I enjoyed it. It was very messed up but was pretty gripping throughout and I felt in some ways the ending kind of made sense.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It was alright. Played out like "this is what people are like, making up opinions about what they see on TV". That's what I got from it. Thought it ended poorly. Like RN7 said, ridiculous.

Sam

Watched it when it came out, I thought it was fantastic, although the ending was very frustrating.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I didn't like the ending at first, but the more I thought about it I think it was a better option than the other more obvious ways it could have gone.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
This was just on BBC2. It could've been good if it wasn't stupidly ridiculous. Was there a good reason not to present his case to the investigators?
The end was the most stupid. As if you would go back to your house alone with someone after you just found out they slit someone's throat a day ago. Nevermind entertaining staying with her just because of a kid, knowing everything she's done :houllier:

Last edited:

Sigma

I seen it in the cinema when it was released and loved it.