Good player making a wrong career move

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
How did it have a negative affect on his ability? He had his most productive season ever in England just after leaving Barca. Obviously last season he suffered from the same shitness bug that everyone at Chelsea had but I don't accept that him moving to Barca made him a worse player. He was no longer the best player in the side but that happens when you move to better teams (especially ones with Messi and Iniesta in them!).
Most productive doesnt mean the best, he was never the same player, at least in my opinion. At Arsenal he used to control games with ease, showing glimpse of talents to made people think he is a natural successor to two greats in Xavi and Scholes. Was much more stronger on the ball, it was pretty damn hard to exclude him from the game, something which isnt really a big problem now(since he left Ars). Even his defensive side was much better, probably because he was faster and more agile as a young kid. He didnt develop that side of the game and now when he isnt as fast nor as agile as before its an obvious flaw in his game. Mind you, he still is/was a very good player but not special.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Why is it wrong? If the aim is for money then it is a wise move.

The player i listed wanted fame and glory and make a wrong career move. The players who went to China perhaps looking for money and china is the best place for that.
Diego dropped tennis and took up playing football in his mid teens to make enough money for his wheelchair-bound sister to be afforded the best possible treatment.

Seems to me he did alright by that. He loved tennis, but he was bang average at it.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
What would've been a good move for him? Colombia? Philippines?
Like other's said, It's more of hindsight. I thought he's one of the best SS at that time before his move to Chelsea. Then it's all going downhill from there.

Chekhov

Supports
A wife and three kids
The one that stands out most for me is Chicharito on loan to RM. Granted it's his boyhood club, but he left to get more playing time, only to join the reigning CL champions who are loaded up front? Mind boggling.
The only#9 ahead of him was Benzema. Hernandez had more strikers ahead of him here. And, yes, it was Real Madrid coming after him. It wasn't that mind boggling at all for him to opt to go.

And he made great use of the playing time he did get when Benzema was out. He ended up with one of the highest goals per minutes ratio in La Liga and scored the winning goal in the CL quarterfinal against Atletico.

Hardly the disaster it's been made out to be.

MarkK

Supports
Bayern Munich
From a German perspective:
Götze to Bayern Munich
Draxler to Wolfsburg
Schweinsteiger to United
Marco Marin to Chelsea
and of course any club signing Schürrle can only go wrong :-)

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Rush to Juve... wtf?
At the time it made sense. Rush would kill it in italy today. Unfortunately back then nobody in italy spoke english and rush never learned italian

R300k

T A
+ Van der Vaart, Huntelaar, Kaka, Coentrao, James, Isco all to Real

Especially Huntelaar, he should join us instead of going to Bernabeu and being kicked out of Bernabeu just after a half of the season just because new president Perez didnt like Dutch man. Tbh this Perez's policy is really ridiculous, in the end it costed Real five seasons for Decima meanwhile Sneijder and Robben one by one had already taken the Champion League with their new clubs in the same time.

+ Diego to Juventus

He was the extraordinary conductor of Bremen orchestra. I dont think strictly-tactical environment of Serie A would be a perfect place for his creative talent.

+ Davide Santon to Newcastle

This lad was praised by Mourinho himself as the new Facchetti. I cant forget the way he blocked CR7 in our match versus Inter at 08 09 CL, man he had such a great potential. Not sure why he could move to Newcastle without big clubs batting an eye and how Inter could accept letting him go just for ~5m

The Will Gordon Show

Supports
Undisclosed
Stan Collymore to Liverpool
Piazon to Chelsea
Angel di Maria to Manchester United
Steve Mandanda to Crystal Palace
Gary Hooper to Norwich City
Adam McKinley to Roda JC
Yerma Weldon to Barcelona

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
No chance. Gazza was straight up mentally ill. Fergie would have given him the Paul McGrath treatment.
I think you are right.

I see Gazza at Spurs get out of a cab before a game less than an hour before kick-off holding a bottle of wine and having a heated argument with another player (can't remember who it was).

Jaytay

Falcao to Monaco (he had a decent first season there) but then to Manchester United, then Chelsea was not right for him at all.

He should have stayed at Atletico Madrid, he was breasting it, he was getting talked about in the same bracket as Messi and Ronaldo.

Looks like he's getting back to scoring now that's he's back in Monaco

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I think Ibra going to AC Milan when he did was the bigger career mistake. He wanted to go to Real Madrid but obviously Barca refused to let that happen.

Surely that was the perfect time to go to England at that point, rather than a team (and league) that was in decline.

Jaybomb

I think Ibra going to AC Milan when he did was the bigger career mistake. He wanted to go to Real Madrid but obviously Barca refused to let that happen.

Surely that was the perfect time to go to England at that point, rather than a team (and league) that was in decline.
Couldn't disagree more. He is an AC Milan legend. A lot of fans adore him there and he said Milan was the best club he played for.

Jaybomb

Falcao to Monaco (he had a decent first season there) but then to Manchester United, then Chelsea was not right for him at all.

He should have stayed at Atletico Madrid, he was breasting it, he was getting talked about in the same bracket as Messi and Ronaldo.

Looks like he's getting back to scoring now that's he's back in Monaco
I have no idea why he joined Chelsea. I wish it never happened as he's one of the players I'm really happy to say played for us at one point. Probably one of my favourite footballers ever.

Should have went back to Monaco last season.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Falcao suffered a career-altering injury. Move to monaco when he coul have signed for literally any team in the world bar real madrid was ridiculous though. If he's to be believed, Mendes kinda gave him no choice. And of course madrid media were certain that was all a ploy so real madrid could sign him next january/summer(probably would have too, if not for the injury)

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He wanted to go to milan. Used real madrid as a ploy to mug barcelona in the process. It worked, too.

welshmanc75

Worked out quite well for him, didn't it? Prolonged his career, more sponsorship, a new market for both him and the wife and could go on loans to big European clubs
Can't disagree with that, but I think he could've and should've played at a higher level for longer rather than loan periods

Minimalist

Beckham definitely made a poor move in hindsight. Didn't seem like it at the time obviously.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Alcacer, Song and Hleb to Barca.
Eto'o to Anzhi.
Falcao to Monaco.
Giovinco to MLS.
Anyone going to China.

Probably more, and United should have a couple of players on the list, but Veron did OK after leaving, and Kagawa did as well, so while we've had duds, they've managed fine after us.

Very few screw themselves over by a move to a top club in general. Fabregas got gametime trophies and his wish to return home to barca with his move, and he has won trophies after leaving, so while he has his lacking he hasn't ruined his career.
Gotze too early to say for me, could do well still.
Ødegaard just a stupid mention from salty people who know feck all about how he is developing.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Alcacer, Song and Hleb to Barca.
Eto'o to Anzhi.
Falcao to Monaco.
Giovinco to MLS.
Anyone going to China.

Probably more, and United should have a couple of players on the list, but Veron did OK after leaving, and Kagawa did as well, so while we've had duds, they've managed fine after us.

Very few screw themselves over by a move to a top club in general. Fabregas got gametime trophies and his wish to return home to barca with his move, and he has won trophies after leaving, so while he has his lacking he hasn't ruined his career.
Gotze too early to say for me, could do well still.
Ødegaard just a stupid mention from salty people who know feck all about how he is developing.
Pretty bad for veron standard. The difference those years made is the difference between Veron and zidane.

Who would have known, but veron post united is nowhere near the veron we break the bank for.

I cant say going to china is a bad move if money is the goal. Not every footballer is a purist, it's but a profession at the end of the day.