Good summer yes or no?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Let's say we end the summer having signed Sancho, Varane and Camavinga but we sell Pogba would that represent a good summer or not because of Pogba's sale?

CM

I think it would. 3 top level players signing in the positions which need strengthening most would represent a good summer.

The Pogba situation is a difficult one. He's a quality player but his role in the team isn't fixed and his contract situation is awkward. If we got a fair price I wouldn't resent a sale.

rotherham_red

Let's say we end the summer having signed Sancho, Varane and Camavinga but we sell Pogba would that represent a good summer or not because of Pogba's sale?
Pogba isn't someone we have built around since Bruno came in to the team, so him staying is a nice to have rather than an essential to me.

Get those three players in it's a perfect 10 irrespective of Pogba staying or going.

Tarrou

yeah that would be a fantastic summer

I'd much rather sell Pogba this summer than let him go on a free, and I think those are probably the only two options

diarm

Pogba is on 290k a week at the moment so you've got to think he's going to be expecting 350-400k to re-sign.

As good as he is at his best, his inconsistency means it is very difficult to argue that such a wage would offer good value. If we are honest, we'd be laughing at any of our rivals spending it.

In addition to that, you are paying huge money to have his moron agent infecting the club, undermining the manager and generally wrecking heads for another 4 years.

One alternative to that is that he stays another year and leaves on a free next summer. We have to put up with the complete media circus that will come with Raiola whoring him out to clubs via the press for 6-9 months, distracting him from his football and again, undermining United in the process.

For me, much as I enjoy watching Pogba on form, the idea of selling him if somebody would actually pay money for him this summer is a really attractive one. We'd have a bit more cash in the transfer kitty, it would be another step towards a far more sensible and manageable wage bill and we would be rid of the Raiola Punch and Judy act once and for all.

Buying those 3 players and selling Pogba would be an incredible summers business in my book.

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
No. Even if Pogba stays, we NEED to sign a RW, DM, and CB. Right now the latter 2 are in question as to if both can be secured or only 1.

If Pogba leaves, that’s an additional CM we’d be missing and would need to replace.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
No. Even if Pogba stays, we NEED to sign a RW, DM, and CB. Right now the latter 2 are in question as to if both can be secured or only 1.

If Pogba leaves, that’s an additional CM we’d be missing and would need to replace.
You didn't read the OP did you

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I think either with or without Pogba, that looks great business. The crucial element is putting it together into a functional unit. But the parts are starting to look quality again.

largelyworried

On balance, yes. I think Sancho rounds out a great forward line and makes our future transfers easier to determine. Up front we need a replacement for Cavani, other than that we're set for 2 to 4 years I reckon.

Likewise, Varane would fill out our defensive line really well, and since Lindelof is still a half-decent player, our bench would look a lot better too.

Midfield - I'm reluctantly coming to terms with selling Pogba. We've ended up with a weird mishmash in midfield, where we can't find a combination of players that really fits together. Pogba is definitely a major part of that puzzle, he's such a unusual player from a tactical perspective, there arent many formations he works with. I think that we might end up having to sell a couple and bring in a couple to get better balance in the middle of the park, and Pogba may be one to sacrifice to get it.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
2 steps forward 1 step back

Improvement nonetheless

The main issue with Pogba leaving is that it would mean opponents only have to focus on Bruno, reducing his effectiveness. We can't rely on only one attacking output. Now we are signing Sancho hopefully that fixes that issue, as we will have an even attack down both flanks, plus Bruno in the middle.

So yes, even though Pogba is a world class player and near irreplaceable, it will be a good summer. Whilst we have lost quality in one area we have made up for it in another, and we no longer have the circus Pogba brings with him.

For what its worth, if we sign another big name or two in addition to Sancho, i can see Pogba wanting to stay.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
How about if you buy all three and keep Pogba?

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Yeah, i'd be happy.

I think we may leave our self short of creativity if Bruno dips or is injured, but I guess the last 5 years have shown we can't rely on Pogba anyway so there wouldn't really be any change.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I really don't think Varane is very good. Better than Lindelof I suppose but I'd honestly rather have Ramos.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Yes it would, but only if Pogba was still refusing to sign a new deal. If we just sold him to sell him then it's a tougher call, because we'd be significantly upgrading our backline and forwards, but taking a huge hit in losing probably our best player from the later half of the season alongside Shaw and Cavani.

Midfield balance is still the number one issue with this team in that none of our available options for DM are good enough on their own. So you either have to play two DM's a la McFred and get blitzed by a higher pressing team, or you play a different formation and have to compensate for it. The day we solve our DM issue is the day this team can truly go toe to toe with the best in the world, because as currently constructed we are restricted in how we have to setup/play against a City type team.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
I’d take it. We only sell Pogba if he refuses a new contract. Plus if he doesn’t want to stay after seeing those three players arrive then good riddance.

Abraxas

I think it would, as if Pogba does not wish to sign a new contract our hands are somewhat tied. There isn't a good decision to make in that scenario, it is damage limitation.

We don't necessarily need to go out and spend extravagantly or even directly replace Pogba as a justification for that potential sale because ultimately what Pogba has given to us has been very sporadic. Three key signings in those positions fits the bill in addressing our other issues.

However my opinion is formed on the basis of Sancho plus key CB and CM signings, not necessarily the names suggested. I have not seen enough of either to say that those are the right people to target.

Commentary

I think a successful transfer window would also include moving people out.

Jesse Lingard - should be sold
Daniel James - should be sold

Either De Gea or Henderson should be out on loan (provided they find a back up)
A center back should go out on loan or be sold once Varane is signed
Young talent needs to go out on loan

I think Pogba will opt to run down his contract.

Giggsy13

If we manage to sign Varane and a midfielder along with Sancho, then this will be our best summer window since 2007. The fact we are the first among the big clubs to be the first to make a splash with Sancho shows we’re serious about contending. Our approach also appears more direct and focused in comparison to the scatter gun approach we’ve taken post-Fergie. Exciting times again.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
That'd be an incredible summer imo. Pretty much perfect.

Pogha is world class, but he doesn't fit in with our team, doesn't have a set role or position in our best 11 in a tough game, and has wanted out for a while. Best to move on for all parties and we get a midfielder suited to playing deeper like Camavinga who also has world class potential.

laughtersassassin

Technically it is a good summer but it would undoubtedly be weakening our already weak Midfield pairings.

Therefore would need another addition by January or at latest the next summer.

laughtersassassin

That'd be an incredible summer imo. Pretty much perfect.

Pogha is world class, but he doesn't fit in with our team, doesn't have a set role or position in our best 11 in a tough game, and has wanted out for a while. Best to move on for all parties and we get a midfielder suited to playing deeper like Camavinga who also has world class potential.
Hardly perfect. We'd still need another Midfielder with Pogba so without him we need two.

It's a quite good summer that leaves us with one big flaw.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Whilst I’m not fully sure about the exact players linked - I do think we are looking at the correct weaknesses.

Definitely a positive.

RedDevilRoshi

I think it would be a very good summer although there would be a small part of me wishing we could have brought one more midfield player in if Pogba was to be sold.

But nevertheless, I’d be more happy than disappointed if that was our transfer business this summer.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Hardly perfect. We'd still need another Midfielder with Pogba so without him we need two.

It's a quite good summer that leaves us with one big flaw.
If we're playing a big game, Pogba doesn't get in our midfield 2. Not a chance. It's effectively Bruno and Sancho who have replaced the roles Pogba could provide for us in those games. Camavinga would go a long way to fixing a lot of our midfield problems and he's much more capable of playing in a midfield 2 than Pogba is (especially with the 4 in attack we'll have), and while yeah I still think we need a more stable midfielder who just stays in the middle and doesn't run with the ball, it's about perfect based on any realistic possible window.

Jev

Not convinced Camavinga is a starter yet. Is he better than Fred and McT right now? We need an instant upgrade for the central midfield, not one for the future, and if we lost a world-class player in Pogba, we'd be weaker. It would be a decent summer under the circumstances seeing as I'd imagine we'll only sell Pogba if he wants out. Still wouldn't make us title challengers, I think.

bsCallout

Ridiculously good. Addressing all key areas, good profiles, and a better balance to the team. I would like an attacking RB backup though.

Rilz

Supports
Manchester united
Getting rid of pogba who will give us mostly 6-7/10 performances with odd purple patches of 9-10/10 for weeks at a time in favour of a solid 8/10 player would be an upgrade in my book

hobbers

We'd need more than just one body in midfield if Pogba leaves.

Can't be going forward with Camavinga, Fred, McTominay and Matic in midfield. That would be horrendous and, obviously, even worse than last season.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I’d be delighted with that. Selling pogba would be a good move, we can’t accommodate him in our starting 11 unfortunately and I expect him to play less next season anyway.

I’d also expect to see more of Garner and think Hannibal will also get a few games so we’ll have plenty of options in midfield.

Idxomer

People in a dreamland if they think Camavinga is ready to start in the PL.

If he signs, expect to see the same combinations in midfield we've seen the last 2 years but without the Pogba option. This is really not good enough no matter how much fans try to convince themselves otherwise.

Raveneye

We'd need more than just one body in midfield if Pogba leaves.

Can't be going forward with Camavinga, Fred, McTominay and Matic in midfield. That would be horrendous and, obviously, even worse than last season.
Once someone like Camavinga gets settled, Fred or McTominay would be free to play their ideal box to box game starting from the pivot. It would be less fancy and breathtaking than Camavinga and Pogba, but it would still work as a defensively solid engine room for the team.