Gaming Google Stadia | rcoobc (2019): "Don't be surprised if Google Stadia comes to Xbox One." | RIP: 2019 - 2023

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Switch has a lot of 60 fps titles in that it has Mario, Splatoon, 1,2 Switch, Arms, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Bros Deluxe, Super Bomberman (Battle mode), etc

Basically most of Nintendo's first party games are 60 FPS, except Pokemon and BOTW
Of course but what I meant was I couldn’t tell you which were and which weren’t it’s not something that even registers. It’s something I only really notice in places like Kokiri Village in Zelda and some areas in Xenoblade where the frame rate drops to silly low levels.

Marcelinho87

Did you buy or make?

But yeah, that's a strength of PC gaming for me, not a weakness. Of you want to build a real machine, you can. If you want to buy cheap, overclock, and gradually add to it you can.

Fact is though, lots of people are woefully missinformed about PC gaming when it comes to debates like this :(
Built it, recently upgraded and it kind of snowballed into basically a whole new build.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/bvzge0/my_first_buildnonmac_ever/

$2500

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/bvbfrl/build_complete_here_to_ruin_my_life_with_wow_all/

$1895

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/bwzr5t/first_build/

£943

I'm getting these just from reddits "build complete" flair in the last week https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/search?q=flair_name:"Build Complete"&restrict_sr=1&t=week&sort=top

So I don't really know what you mean Lambsy. Obviously you don't have to spend $1500 for a Gaming PC - but to equal what Stadia offers? dot dot dot
That's because you are making up a point for me :lol:

And it's the Stadia that can never do what a PC does, it's a daft comparison to make.

The infrastructure isn't ready for the stadia and this 4k @60fps stuff. Hence why M$ and Sony are still releasing hardware. Speaking of which, isn't that an achievement for current gen games anyway? I saw something about Doom Eternal being the main game to do it, I wonder how it's going to pull that off on next gen games. They'll probably upgrade of course, but then how will that affect pricing and again, let's not forget latency and connection issues.

Also, take one of the most popular games at the moment, Fortnite. Sure they'll put it on there, but it won't be competitive with the other versions, it'll lilely be so weak at that that they'll have to do a mobile version on it and make seperate allowances for it. Same could be said for any fast paced multiplayer games, the latency back and forth will be horrendous for anyone but the very casuals.

All in all it is the future, no doubt. But Google of all people getting involved and jumping the gun here, well I think in a couple of years time people will be talking of them like EA. But nothing will change.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
My gaming PC cost me around €800-1000 seven years ago, then three years ago I got more RAM and a new GPU for around €350. I reckon I'll get another one or two years before I've to upgrade the GPU again, probably when Cyberpunk comes out, which will give me another 3-4 years. I'd say that's a pretty damn good investment for that money, considering I've generally used it way more than my PS4 and not just for gaming either.

Entering into the gaming market for a PC is more costly than a console for sure but works out pretty similar long term if you're not obsessed with having the new CPU, GPU etc. as soon as they come out. PC games aren't advancing nearly as much as they used to so you don't need to upgrade remotely as much.

Anyway, back to Google Stadia, I reckon it'll bomb big time, especially when MS and Sony release their new consoles for around 400 quid. We're still a good four or five years away from streaming being a viable option for gaming. And Google don't exactly have a good record of continuing to support failed projects.

GBBQ

So at launch is Destiny 2 the only free game or is there going to be older titles available too?

Havak

Pokemon master
I actually think this will be better than most of us are expecting (eventually). My expectation is that it won't get to the 'stable' level and be more fine tuned until late 2020, likely when the next generation of consoles hit. Unfortunately, everyone will just use their new consoles for everything at that point and it'll be difficult for Google to make this anywhere near mainstream for a few years after that. Maybe the lack of an insanely high userbase will actually help them initially, as it's possible this could slightly improve how stable the connections are at any given time. The amount of people that are going to be able to experience 4k/60 will probably be very low, but I think using this at 1080/60 for free will be very appealing to a lot of people soon. However, this also depends on which games can be played 'for free' and how the purchasing will work going forward.

eg. If someone buys the next Halo game on XBox, can they link their save file and play it over Stadia at any given time instead of their console? This is what will be key for Stadia, because at least for a number of years yet, I don't think it is appealing enough to purchase a £60~ game that you can only play on Stadia if it isn't an exclusive title. Anything that is multi-platform seems like a better option on basically anything else other than Stadia. This is the biggest obstacle to overcome and they aren't going to get everyone on board for being able to transfer saves etc.

Ainu

It was just an example of something that could be, pick any big game franchise.
Of all the big game franchises, you picked a Microsoft first-party IP. The same Microsoft who're getting into streaming themselves with xCloud.

Havak

Pokemon master
Of all the big game franchises, you picked a Microsoft first-party IP. The same Microsoft who're getting into streaming themselves with xCloud.
Well, for that particular game I'm thinking more about their gamepass service. That seems like they want it to go everywhere. There are rumours of Forza being able to stream through a Nintendo Switch for example, so why not through a Google Device on Stadia? Again, just an example/thought.

I'm more thinking of cross-compatibility with other games though. Like, why would anyone personally choose to buy their game via Stadia (if that's how it works) and it only work on Stadia? When they could download it through other means and I assume still play it via Stadia if it's a game that supports it. To me it sounds like it's one way and not the other. Already own it? You can Stadia it. Don't own it and buy it on Stadia, nah, you can't play it on your console now. If that makes sense?

Bojan11

Well, for that particular game I'm thinking more about their gamepass service. That seems like they want it to go everywhere. There are rumours of Forza being able to stream through a Nintendo Switch for example, so why not through a Google Device on Stadia? Again, just an example/thought.

I'm more thinking of cross-compatibility with other games though. Like, why would anyone personally choose to buy their game via Stadia (if that's how it works) and it only work on Stadia? When they could download it through other means and I assume still play it via Stadia if it's a game that supports it. To me it sounds like it's one way and not the other. Already own it? You can Stadia it. Don't own it and buy it on Stadia, nah, you can't play it on your console now. If that makes sense?
If it launches on Switch it will be through gamepass. Just like PC it will be if you subscribed through gamepass.

Stadia isn’t getting gamepass. They launching their own thing to rival gamepass, so it wouldn’t make sense for MS to put any of their games on it. Unless Stadia of course wants to launch a gamepass sub too which would make no sense for them.

Ainu

Why would Google want people to stream Game Pass games through Stadia? How would Google earn any money from those users? Same with your second suggestion, if people would be able to use pre-owned games on Stadia, they're consuming Google's service completely for free. That doesn't make any sense. Don't forget the base Stadia sub doesn't cost you anything. Google would make money through game purchases within their ecosystem. If you're not paying a sub and not buying games on their store, what does Google get in return?

Havak

Pokemon master
If it launches on Switch it will be through gamepass. Just like PC it will be if you subscribed through gamepass.

Stadia isn’t getting gamepass. They launching their own thing to rival gamepass, so it wouldn’t make sense for MS to put any of their games on it. Unless Stadia of course wants to launch a gamepass sub too which would make no sense for them.
Why would Google want people to stream Game Pass games through Stadia? How would Google earn any money from those users? Same with your second suggestion, if people would be able to use pre-owned games on Stadia, they're consuming Google's service completely for free. That doesn't make any sense. Don't forget the base Stadia sub doesn't cost you anything. Google would make money through game purchases within their ecosystem. If you're not paying a sub and not buying games on their store, what does Google get in return?
It'd still be through GamePass in this example, it's just adding further support to it. I know it's unlikely, but I kind of see it as the same thing. If you want to play your GamePass games on a portable you need a tablet that supports it or a Nintendo Switch, you still have to buy a Nintendo Switch to play your GamePass library through it. I'm not sure what Nintendo would get out of it but it's strongly rumoured. It's just a case of being very consumer friendly which Microsoft seems to be doing well at the moment. Giving you every option under the Sun.

Google and in this case Nintendo get Microsoft customers using their service which in turn might turn them into Google or Nintendo customers. Nintendo's is maybe more lucrative as people literally might buy a Nintendo Switch purely because they can turn it into a portable Xbox in a sense. But what about people who have bought a Google Slate/Pixelbook or Pixel Mobile Phone? If GamePass is able to stream through Stadia on these Google Devices it adds another platform for GamePass and more people who invest in a Stadia account.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I'm going to give this a go - I can afford to lose the money if it turns out rubbish. I'm a console gamer but on frequent occasion I am in places with a low spec laptop but with really good internet. I play a lot of destiny 2 and so being able to play D2 with cross save while away from my PS4 is something that attracts me.

Given I play mostly PVE Destiny 2, a bit of lag isn't the end of the world either - I reckon I lived with far far worse than stadia will be when I bought a PSTV box to stream my PS4 upstairs or when I've done Vita remote play. :lol:

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
it's not only a monthly sub, you'll also have to buy most games and have an unlimited internet plan.

Bojan11

it's not only a monthly sub, you'll also have to buy most games and have an unlimited internet plan.
I believe you also have to pay £120 at launch to get the founders pack.

Interesting also that there’s a Rockstar game coming for it too. Probably GTA V.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I believe you also have to pay £120 at launch to get the founders pack.

Interesting also that there’s a Rockstar game coming for it too. Probably GTA V.
Yeah with the Switch and PS4 I already have my hands full paying for games, not really interested in a console to buy more games.

starman

Microsoft are going to release details about xcloud tomorrow at E3, would at least wait till then before committing to buy this

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Microsoft are going to release details about xcloud tomorrow at E3, would at least wait till then before committing to buy this
Fair enough, but pre order for this doesn't get charged until it ships in November. Plenty of time to cancel before then if needed

Bojan11

What happens to all the games I've bought if in 5 years Google decide they're done with this and switch off the servers?
They gone. But you could say that about all digital stuff. PSN, Xbox live and steam if they get the plug pulled on them then all your games are gone.

Ainu

They gone. But you could say that about all digital stuff. PSN, Xbox live and steam if they get the plug pulled on them then all your games are gone.
Yes and no. As long as you have them on your HDD, you can play them indefinitely.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Read that stadia will use 1tb of data in around 65h of playing at 4k resolution.
If that is true, then I strongly doubt it'll make it.
Other than that I think of it as unlikely that they'll be able to combat the already established consoles on the market, even less so the PC-market.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I wonder what red dead redemption will be like on this. I’m actually tempted to try it. I don’t think the input lag will be that bad if one was only to play single player games.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Read that stadia will use 1tb of data in around 65h of playing at 4k resolution.
If that is true, then I strongly doubt it'll make it.
Other than that I think of it as unlikely that they'll be able to combat the already established consoles on the market, even less so the PC-market.
You would expect that Google doing this will hopefully mean they will bring their weight to bear along with Netflix etc to at minimum raise data caps in states and with ISPs that have them - or at minimum get guarantees throttled speeds beyond the limit won't drop below a certain threshold.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
My gaming PC cost me around €800-1000 seven years ago, then three years ago I got more RAM and a new GPU for around €350. I reckon I'll get another one or two years before I've to upgrade the GPU again, probably when Cyberpunk comes out, which will give me another 3-4 years. I'd say that's a pretty damn good investment for that money, considering I've generally used it way more than my PS4 and not just for gaming either.

Entering into the gaming market for a PC is more costly than a console for sure but works out pretty similar long term if you're not obsessed with having the new CPU, GPU etc. as soon as they come out. PC games aren't advancing nearly as much as they used to so you don't need to upgrade remotely as much.

Anyway, back to Google Stadia, I reckon it'll bomb big time, especially when MS and Sony release their new consoles for around 400 quid. We're still a good four or five years away from streaming being a viable option for gaming. And Google don't exactly have a good record of continuing to support failed projects.
Cpu are only as expensive as your eyes.

If you're happy with medium setting you can get more bang for your bucks.

evil_geko

This will fail spectacularly, people tweak every little thing for that minimal ping, lag etc. Regardless of your internet speed, this will never be even close to reaction times of regular console/PC gaming.

Traub

They spend millions on researchinf that 9.99 sweet spot where you cant say no.

We're all sheeps
You still have to pay for the games though. The 9.99 is effectively the monthly price to rent their hardware. Is that worth it?

littlepeasoup

Cancelled my preorder a long while back, and don't regret it for a second. It'll be interesting to see how the tech matures (if Google doesn't cancel it first) but I know 100% this isn't for me right now. I just think their offering doesn't make sense for the majority of gamers, and I think a lot of people will be buying this for the novelty just to see if it works or not.

Could really see Google shelving their own version of the service if it doesn't do well, but maybe allowing others to lease their infrastructure, because they definitely talked a big game about the tech behind it.

Traub

Erh... what?

Nah... feck that.
From what I understand is it's similar to Xbox and PS where you get a free game a month and specials on other games. However, you have to pay for most of your games.

Also, if you cancel your subscription, you lose the game you paid for until you sign up again.