Gordon McQueen RIP

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Did he attack the goal on our corners. Running jump then flying through the air feet above the ground scattering defenders on his way to meet the ball. Tough as feck but a nice guy too. Sad.

Appletonred

Great memories of a great defender, he was tough as old boots Gordon, remember as a kid the double signing of him and Joe Jordan, a sad loss.

Loved big Gordon as a player.
Remember hearing a story about the Dave Sexton era and a training session about corners. Dave had a very complicated plan involving lots of players moving and running to certain positions. Players practiced for about two hours and kept messing it up. Eventually big Gordon said " How about he (Steve Coppell) crosses it into about the middle of the penalty area and I just stick my big head on it". It kind of summed up the Dave Sexton era for me, lots of great technical ideas but no delivery or end product.
Very sorry to hear about Gordon, dementia is a bastard. rest in Peace big man.

Red Royal

Very sad news...RIP. He was part of the first United team I followed as a kid and probably he was a major factor in me becoming a (much much worse) centre back.

glasgow 21

The five minute final 1979 Gordon McQueen and the day i truly felt Love & Heartbreak for United and cemented me as a lifetime fan. Thank you Gordon R.I.P.

lsd

The Oracle
Saw his name trending and feared the worse. Awful news and after being diagnosed with dementia too the past few years.

UTD_Since_1978

Sad news.

Probably UTD's best defender of the first half of the 1980s.

Sad that he died just 11 days away from his birthday, makes it more difficult for his loved ones.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Playing for 3 teams I grew up disliking (United/Leeds/Scotland) he was a pantomime villain to me but I always respected him as a terrific player.

RIP big man

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Iconic, the Farrah Fawcett of centre halves when I was a young lad. Loved him. Rest in peace.

Revaulx

Oh no. Only five years older than me.

I remember a United v Leeds game not long before he signed for us; it may have been the ‘77 FA Cup semi at Hillsborough. He was outstanding and a load of us were all in agreement that the one player who would immediately improve us was him.

Of course his immaculate injury record at Leeds didn’t survive once he’d moved to United.

Jeffthered

Just read Mike Keegan's piece about Gordon's last year or so. The fact the family appealed to the PFA for help and they offered nothing is a disgrace.
A British football legend. May he rest well, and have fun wherever he is. I would always want a Gordon McQueen on my team, rather than play against him...

No surprise. Gordon Taylor was quite shockingly vile and irresponsible, the way he ran that debacle of an organisation, whilst taking a ridiculous salary. PFA is an utter disgrace.

Fanta Stick

The five minute final 1979 Gordon McQueen and the day i truly felt Love & Heartbreak for United and cemented me as a lifetime fan. Thank you Gordon R.I.P.
Despondency -> hope -> jubilation & disbelief -> utter despair and even more disbelief.
My 10 year old head couldn't cope with such a range of emotions in 5 minutes.
Proper balled my eyes out at the side of the house after.
Worse still I had to watch the game with my step'father' who was an Arsenal supporter and an absolute cnut .

Loved that team.

R.I.P. Gordon.

VanAlden

R.I.P.

Gutting to hear this. I remember his below reaction to when James McFadden scored that wonder goal in Paris for Scotland :D

Haha. I think every Scotsman had the same 'I don't believe it' reaction when that ball hit the net, I know I did :D

Marcus

RIP Gordon. Was such a dominant defender from what I recall.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
ditto.......a club legend he was.

Moriarty

Oh man, that was a heartbreaker. We never stopped cheering them on even though it was (we thought) a lost cause. Then Stevie Coppell put that free kick in, Jordan knocked it back and Big Gordon, leading the charge, knocked it past Jennings. The Super Sam scored but it still wasn't to be. At least the big man got a winners' medal in 1983.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
RIP Gordon.

He was at the club from my first memories. He wasn’t very good mind, old fashioned central defender who was great in the air but a very average ball player. He had the turning circle of an oil tanker. But he always put his body on the line for the team and seemed to be a popular player.

Banana Republic

I remember him well, in that late 70’s and early 80’s era.
No nonsense centre half, who was a rock in our defence, but his lack of mobility and injuries became a liability in the end.
That was no disgrace, because he gave his all and served us well in his time with Utd.
That’s why he was fondly remembered.
What a terrible way to go though.
It’s an awful disease.
My late brother-in-law knew him and Joe personally, back in those days.
We sadly lost him as well, to cancer, aged 66. Far too early.
R.I.P. Gordon.