Graeme Sourness | Retires from “punditry”

Bojan11

Thought he was a decent pundit and told it as it is.

It's clear now him and Redknapp have issues with Mourinho in particular.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Honestly, pundits have clearly been bias on many occasions in the past but tonight was just a joke. He was genuinely seething. Like he basically refused to say anything remotely good about us and he was just so bitter. It was actually ridiculous.

Fridge chutney

Can someone please link the bitter twat's ramblings from tonight? I personally find his bitterness hilarious.

Acole9

Outstanding
Thought he was a decent pundit and told it as it is.

It's clear now him and Redknapp have issues with Mourinho in particular.
Apparently he admitted on a league of their own that he can't stand Mourinho. As for Graeme Sourgrapes, he's just upset because he's done nothing but coat Mourinho and the squad (Mainly Pogba) off all season and now he looks very foolish.

Ibi Dreams

I don't doubt that Souness is biased, but he's just such a downer in general anyway. Even when he's saying something positive he looks and sounds like somebody has a gun pointed at his head.

Bojan11

Apparently he admitted on a league of their own that he can't stand Mourinho. As for Graeme Sourgrapes, he's just upset because he's done nothing but coat Mourinho and the squad (Mainly Pogba) off all season and now he looks very foolish.
Mourinho called out Redknapp a few years ago I believe.

AXVnee7

Souness is grand ,no bitterness, he just tells it how he sees it.

Poor Jamie definitely has an agenda though after Mourinho rinsed him a few seasons back.
How can he suggest that we got lucky and didn't deserve to win? He must've been watching a different game to the rest of us.

AXVnee7

As for the video. Jose has literally won major trophies both domestically and in Europe employing the exact same tactics. This is not something new that Jose has tried, this is what he is renowned for. It's just bitterness speaking here.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Pfffft the day Jamie has anything useful to say, will be.......whom I kidding he will never have anything useful to say.

cyberman

I don't even blame Souness. A lot of pundits and commentators laid out the scenario of Utd losing v Ajax to drive forward how shit we are.
Lose this Wednesday and Jose has been a joke appointment, base 3 hrs off of a hypothetical loss and where that leaves us ( 6th lol)
A lot of cheating going on

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Every time he gets mentioned in this thread and elsewhere he should be called "Sourness" from here on out.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
That was one of the easiest matches we've had this season, so Graeme is talking rubbish.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That was one of the easiest matches we've had this season, so Graeme is talking rubbish.
Exactly. It was the classic men against boys scenario. They barely got near our goal let alone threatened it, and we managed to comfortably stroll out a win like it was the old Fergie days of easing to wins.

AXVnee7

Also add this about Pogba... :houllier:

From the Pogba transformation thread:
None of you have idea what you're talking about... According to Souness. What you think is good about Pogba is actually the result of a lack of understanding of football, that only he possesses. As such he has imparted his wisdom upon us that Pogba doesn't have an understanding of the game.

El cangrejo

Supports
FC Luzern
Literally all of those criticisms fit Gerrard perfectly but would Souness have ever said that about Mr Liverpool?

BorisDeLeFora

In fairness to Graeme not only did he have to sit down and watch a team he clearly hates, he had to watch them play incredibly boring football, which he also hates, and then at the end he had to watch them win a trophy, and celebrate, with great joy, happiness, elation, and all the while he was sitting there, seething, boiling, raging, fit to kill.

So when you add that to his generally miserable demeanor, it was never going to be positive.

ChaddyP

The man said Pogba is incapable of doing brilliant things on the football pitch :lol:

his criticism should be null and void

poleglass red

I normally don't mind Souness but he is way out in this assessment . The host should have showed a bit more balls when Souness challenged him to name one thing Pogba has done this season that was brilliant. Immediately that goal v Swansea springs to mind, that was top drawer, had Gerrard scored it, Souness would still be talking about it.Pogba hasn't had the season that many thought he would, and it's understandable. Early on in certain big games he was poor, we can't argue that. The problem is people like Souness where happy thinking we'd bought a dud. But gradually and very noticeable of late Pogba is starting to assert himself. People like Souness have dug themselves into a hole re Pogba and instead of getting out they continue to keep digging. He needs to wise up, Pogba isn't the first big name that took a while to adjust and he won't be the last.Swallow ur pride Souness and admit he's quality

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
"He hasn't got a basic understanding of his position, I can't see that changing."

Regardless of what Paul Pogba achieves in football, Graeme Souness will never be a fan. The former Liverpool midfielder just doesn't seem to rate Pogba, and never misses an opportunity when on punditry duty to remind the audience of this fact. Even when the Manchester United midfielder plays well, as he did during the team's 2-1 victory over CSKA Moscow on Tuesday night, Souness seems incapable of offering praise.

The Scot appeared on Irish television channel TV3 for coverage of the Champions League tie, and stuck the boot into Pogba again before kick-off. The former Blackburn Rovers manager called out Pogba for making "basic" errors.

"He hasn't got a basic understanding of his position, I can't see that changing," Souness said.

Of course, this isn't the first time Souness has criticised Pogba. He has called the French midfielder a 'YouTuber', and went on the following rant following United's victory over Ajax in the Europa League final last season.

"I don't see him doing enough things, you spend that kind of money to make a difference in the big games. I don't see him this season changing any of the big games because of the 'brilliance' he's shown. He does eye-catching stuff, which with all due respect to people who don't understand the game so well, (they) go 'wow, wasn't that great play?' What I see as a midfield player, an old midfield player, is someone that's not really got a great understanding of the game... I've never seen him run a game."
:houllier:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It's the only way that he can stay relevant. Bless him.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Don't mind him most of the time but that stuff about Pogba is Bollox.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Don't mind him most of the time but that stuff about Pogba is Bollox.
Its not a personal thing, Souness is just old school and it's the price which I think causes him to constantly accentuate any flaws he sees in his game.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Its not a personal thing, Souness is just old school and it's the price which I think causes him to constantly accentuate any flaws he sees in his game.
Well he's an old school idiot if he's expecting Pogba play deep and control the game like Xavi or Pirlo, that's not his game or his role. He's a direct attack minded central midfielder, his positional play in the attacking third has been superb this season. So yeah he's talking bollox.

Let's be honest if Pogba played for Liverpool Souness would think he was the best player on the planet. He's always been clouded by his hatred for us.

All he really needs to look at to see Pogba 'run games' is look at our results at the start of the season, our results when he got injured, and our results again when he came back. You don't need to be breaking people's legs to control the midfield anymore.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Its not a personal thing, Souness is just bitter and it's the jealousy of him playing for United which causes him to constantly accentuate any flaws he sees in his game.
Fixed

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Bitter twat. :lol:

I like how he makes it out that you have to properly understand football to see his flaws. So some of the best managers in the world who have managed Pogba like Mourinho, Conte and Allegri don't understand how a midfielder should play because all three of them rate Pogba highly. But some failed manager turned TV pundit can see something they can't. :lol:

lewwoo

At least Neville, Carragher etc have the dignity to appear impartial and even go too far the other way at times in trying to appear so. This old fool can't hide his hatred of Utd. He really shouldn't be anywhere near a Utd game if he can't be professional in his role as a pundit.

MiceOnMeth

In fairness its only Pogba he seems to have it in for, he didnt really say anything negative about the team itself. But it will still enough for me to change the channel!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He has an orthodox view on how the game should be played. I don't think he's bitter because he's normally down the middle when he speaks of rival clubs. Pogba is a midfielder for the modern game and his hybrid role confuses some pundits.

I remember redknapp kept comparing him to Lampard in goal expectation, which is equally as criminal because imo he doesnt play as advanced as Lampard did.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Over many years Souness has generally spoken very highly of United. He's nowhere near the biased individual suggested here.

He's wrong about Pogba of course but he doesn't hate United.

In fairness its only Pogba he seems to have it in for, he didnt really say anything negative about the team itself. But it will still enough for me to change the channel!
I think he has it in for a) flashy players and b) Manchester United. Pogba is the perfect storm.

He's a relic of the days of hard work, two footed challenges and passbacks. You just know he would have absolutely hated Ronaldo had he been on TV in 2003-2004.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
There is a reason he hasn’t been in management for years and it’s not because he is turning down jobs left right and centre.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Over many years Souness has generally spoken very highly of United. He's nowhere near the biased individual suggested here.

He's wrong about Pogba of course but he doesn't hate United.
Agreed, I don't think he is biased against us either and seen him make some positive comments about us this season. He is wrong about Pogba absolutely, but I don't mind him as a pundit and I don't think he has it in for us as such.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Well he's an old school idiot if he's expecting Pogba play deep and control the game like Xavi or Pirlo, that's not his game or his role. He's a direct attack minded central midfielder, his positional play in the attacking third has been superb this season. So yeah he's talking bollox.
The irony is that Souness doesn’t seem to have a basic understanding of Pogba’s position.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
One of my favourite pundits.
Maybe because I've just accepted him as a miserable sod.
He doesn't mind sticking the boot in Liverpool also.