Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

BaguetteBoy

Feels sorry for Brighton really messed up their great start. But you do understand why he took the job at Chelsea it’s a big step up for him. This you feel is a make or break his career.

Rojofiam

So why is there a manager? That's ridiculous, they still coach the team, pick the tactics, may have some influence, but pick the team.
When you don't have a say in transfer dealings, not to mention the player power at that club...it's difficult to do well...but don't get me wrong, I don't think Pochettino is some sort of genius on the level of Guardiola / Klopp. Still, I wouln't judge him on his PSG stint.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Feels like a real shame, this. I like Potter but I always want Chelsea to fail.

FatTails

Why do you like him if you think he would fail at his first big job?
This one is a tough first big job. The team has a weird balance to it, I think the owner is either misguided or still finding his feet (hard to tell this early on), they are notoriously impatient, and the entire hierarchy around the owner has been replaced. Any under performance means being out of the UCL next year so he is under immediate pressure to get the team playing well, without a preseason.

Contrast that with taking over at City for example, or even a place like Barca who despite all their problems have a squad that is guaranteed to get them top four. On the other end of the spectrum, he could’ve gone to an Arsenal where he would be afforded a lot of time and resources.

It’s a bad combination of immediately needing to make an impact, at an impatient club, without a preseason or transfer window, and at a club that has gone through a lot of changes to all the staff that made it what it is in the past few years.

Which big job you take first matters, a lot. It affects perception going forward and his future chances of getting a similar job if he “fails”

littlepeasoup

Feels sorry for Brighton really messed up their great start. But you do understand why he took the job at Chelsea it’s a big step up for him. This you feel is a make or break his career.
It's not like Moyes with us. Still think he'll have enough credit in the bank that if he tanks at Chelsea, he'll still be given the opportunity to be successful somewhere else decent.

Jaae

Not ITK
15th, 16th, 9th - He's done a great job at Brighton but he's quite fortunate to be offered a job of this size. He'd be crazy not to take it.

Worst that can happen is it doesn't go well, gets sacked with a big payout, and takes the next available midtable PL job.

avgp_1

With £20 odd million to replace them.

Their new guy won't want Potter's guys anyway.
I understand thats football but sure would have liked someone to tide them over until then. Its high standards that have been set by Potter and his staff, for new people to come in and start matching that its going to be tricky. Its a season thats going to be massively disrupted now, have to act fast in getting his replacement in.

Knightmare7

Hope Potter gets reamed by every team he faces. Liked him at Brighton, can’t get behind someone leaving and taking the entire staff 6 matches into a season. Gutted the entire Brighton staff, not sure how they’re expected to compete

largelyworried

You kind of have to hand it to Chelsea how quickly they pulled this off
you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them".

Seriously though, this is a huge gamble. Its obvious they're not just getting a new first team coach, they want the guy to help lead on the reconstruction of the club including the appointment of the DOF. This is a guy with zero experience at this level, and they picked him after speaking to him for just one day. Nothing about this sounds like sensible planning. If Potter turns out to be the real deal, they'll be golden, but if it turns out to be above his level, they have a lot to lose.

Hughes35

Yea, Potter didn't have a choice. I think he will do ok at Chelsea......If he is measured against Lampard he will do well, if measured against Jose he will flop.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
So Gilmour wanted to play under Potter and he joined Brighton. Auba wanted to play under Tuchel and joined Chelsea.

Worked out quite well, I guess.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Won’t finish this season
Agreed, Chelsea will not be finishing third as my predictions were fully aligned to Tuchel turning it around. Like Klopp will for us.

So the race for the last two spots is definitely on. Maybe all three spots.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Hope Potter gets reamed by every team he faces. Liked him at Brighton, can’t get behind someone leaving and taking the entire staff 6 matches into a season. Gutted the entire Brighton staff, not sure how they’re expected to compete
Thankfully for them, Brighton had more than 4 coaches. It's not "the entire staff".

Brighton are an incredibly well run club, they'll be fine.

Suv666

Fair play to Chelsea. Incredibly efficient execution.
Unhappy they got Potters. He's class.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Agreed, Chelsea will not be finishing third as my predictions were fully aligned to Tuchel turning it around. Like Klopp will for us.

So the race for the last two spots is definitely on. Maybe all three spots.
Why 2 ? All 3 spots are wide open.

GreatDane

Yeah. It's business and all but I do feel for Brighton getting dumped by their manager and their most important staff 6 games in.
Would assume the best staff already has work for the season now, so will be hard to replace them.
Turned a promising season into despair for the fans.

Foxbatt

you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them".

Seriously though, this is a huge gamble. Its obvious they're not just getting a new first team coach, they want the guy to help lead on the reconstruction of the club including the appointment of the DOF. This is a guy with zero experience at this level, and they picked him after speaking to him for just one day. Nothing about this sounds like sensible planning. If Potter turns out to be the real deal, they'll be golden, but if it turns out to be above his level, they have a lot to lose.
No. If it turns out to be above his level they will simply sack him without any hesitation unlike us.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Sad to see Potter go, I guess it was inevitable but pretty annoyed that Bruno has gone with him.

glaspalast

Supports
Crystal Palace
It's not like Moyes with us. Still think he'll have enough credit in the bank that if he tanks at Chelsea, he'll still be given the opportunity to be successful somewhere else decent.
Yep. Hes got a season and half grace to blame his idiot boss and his dickhead squad.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I’m probably talking out of my hat here but is there any sense to having a transfer window for managers? Losing a manager out of the blue like this could be a death knell to a club like Brighton’s season. Maybe no managerial appointments from other clubs before 1st November or something arbitrary like that?

You’d feel for Brighton in this instance to be honest. Their whole football structure obliterated in one fell swoop.

cyberman

15th, 16th, 9th - He's done a great job at Brighton but he's quite fortunate to be offered a job of this size. He'd be crazy not to take it.

Worst that can happen is it doesn't go well, gets sacked with a big payout, and takes the next available midtable PL job.
3 months without a home goal, 14 games without a win…last season.
It’s such a huge risk but it’s not being reported as such.

GreatDane

Thankfully for them, Brighton had more than 4 coaches. It's not "the entire staff".

Brighton are an incredibly well run club, they'll be fine.
That's to be seen. Chelsea fecked Brighton pretty hard with this, and only 6 games into the season even.

hobbers

It's still a fairly big risk for Potter if he ever had designs on managing a club that will compete for the title.

If he fails at Chelsea then when Pep and Klopp leave he wont be considered.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Brighton fans must be absolutely gutted. Typically when a manager leaves he's either been sacked due to terrible results, or things have become too toxic and his position untenable. Don't think there are too many examples of this scenario happening, where everyone in the fanbase will be devastated to see their manager depart for another club.

largelyworried

No. If it turns out to be above his level they will simply sack him without any hesitation unlike us.
The point is that they've moving away from the first team coach model that allowed them to chop and change managers easily and moving in a Fergie/Wenger direction where the manager gets lots of authority. That makes changing coaches way harder. Harder to convince everyone to get rid of the manager, since he has more allies in key places. Harder to replace when you do sack them, because you risk losing several more key staff at once.

Everyone was saying he deserves an opportunity at a big 6 club now has taken that opportunity you guys are still moaning. What is it you actually want? I swear football fans have no sense :lol: :lol:

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Everyone was saying he deserves an opportunity at a big 6 club now has taken that opportunity you guys are still moaning. What is it you actually want? I swear football fans have no sense :lol: :lol:
I mean he does, but we don't want Chelsea to sign a great coach when Poch would've been available