g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

Oranges038

He was stupid for going there in the first place, no doubt they'll go and win the CL now.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
CFC is a mess, but could they come out on top of things? They won’t play much football next season and that can be of great help. They have secured a lot of talent long term.

But what is mindboggling from my point of view is — what were the younger players who signed with them in January thinking? And I questioned this back at the time too.

How much will Malo Gusto, Noni Madueke, Carney Chukwuemeka, Andrey Santos, David Fofana and co play next season if Chelsea is looking at 38 games plus some national Cups? Even Mudryk? Nkunku is coming in Leipzig. Will they hire Nagelsman? Seems likely. Felix have been their best player by far. Are they buying him? They still don’t have a striker. Havertz?

And getting into the top 4 is never easy. There will be a lot of pressure on Chelsea next season. Missing one isn’t an issue — but two times in a row?

Every kid who signed with CFC was talking about how they loved their “project”. CFC paid what 40m to agents last season. CFC must have an awesome presentation — but where the heck were these players’ agents?

As a young player, by far the best option is to go to a team with a strong working core, enabling the team to rotate in the kids regularly. Preferably while being able to play many league games on ‘cruise control’. CFC don’t have a core. All games will be extremely important for CFC next season. The atmosphere will be pissy until they do extremely well. Huge squad, selling players is really hard. All this was known in January…

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I feel bad for him. Left Brighton and watched them reach new heights without him and now he gets sacked after less than 7 months. And there was a world cup in this period too.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Yep, absolute worst case (like we did with Di Matteo) he'd get paid his weekly wage until he gets a new job.
It is probably mutual consent in terms of remaining payment. He will not get everything, but it will still be a massive payoff most likely. On top of £21.5 million you already paid to Brighton as a compensation when he came.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Was always a fraud. Brighton flourishing without him. He held them back one could say.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Bring back Frank.

Potter looked out of his depth from the start. Rabbit in headlights

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Probably one of the biggest things that has gone against Potter is that De Zerbi has seemingly gone in at Brighton and done a better job. It rather dims Potters achievements there (perhaps unfairly so).

either way, the results at Chelsea have been unacceptable, especially given the money spent. I thought he would get to the end of the season, but there we are.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It is probably mutual consent in terms of remaining payment. He will not get everything, but it will still be a massive payoff most likely. On top of £21.5 million you already paid to Brighton as a compensation when he came.
Oh for sure, but either way it won't be a £50m payment in one lump sum.

If we were bound to that we'd just keep him technically employed on gardening leave until he finds a new job as I said, theoretically we could even ask for compensation from an interested party in that case (as Napoli did with us for Sarri despite already appointing Ancelotti).

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
:lol: That’s not how things work
There will almost certainly have been performance related clauses in his contract that permits termination in certain circumstances, perhaps including being in the lower half of the table after 70% of the season has been played or something, whereby they will only have to pay X amount rather than the full remaining contract terms.

TheReligion

Abusive
There will almost certainly have been performance related clauses in his contract that permits termination in certain circumstances, perhaps including being in the lower half of the table after 70% of the season has been played or something, whereby they will only have to pay X amount rather than the full remaining contract terms.
Possibly. I just find the logic being used that it’s too much money so Chelsea wouldn’t have sacked him had they had to pay it out pretty stupid.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Probably one of the biggest things that has gone against Potter is that De Zerbi has seemingly gone in at Brighton and done a better job. It rather dims Potters achievements there (perhaps unfairly so).

either way, the results at Chelsea have been unacceptable, especially given the money spent. I thought he would get to the end of the season, but there we are.
I don’t see how it could. Potter’s work at Brighton is impressive regardless of what De Zerbi has done since. For starters De Zerbi walked into a much different Brighton than the one Potter walked into and he has Potter, in part, to thank for that.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
As I always say at times like this, they'll for sure land on their feet. Horrible spawny club packed to the gills with cnuts.

As for Potter I hope he goes somewhere else and rebuilds his reputation as a decent manager, but not sure whether he'll get a chance at this kind of level again.

Trequarista10

Earlier in the season I was arguing on here that Howe was as good or better than Potter. A few nauseating types were laughing at the idea because Howe, despite having had similiar or better success at Bournemouth over a more prolonged period of time than Potter, had one bad season in which he was relegated. It just made me smile remembering that today as Howe moved into 3rd place on the same day that Potter's shambolic reign at Chelsea came to an end. They're both good managers, and another club will be lucky to have an opportunity to hire Potter.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Friring Tuchel was a mindblowing mistake.
Still I thought Potter would be a decent replacement.
Boy was I wrong.

KeanoMagicHat

Glad I don’t support Chelsea, everything about how they’re run is soul destroying and wrong with football. Potter was the antithesis to Chelsea, no surprise it’s been a complete failure. Laughing all the way to the bank I suppose.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
:lol: talk about drama queen

Potter will be fine
He will be fine in the sense that he is financially set for life, and he will find a new managerial position in due time.

What I am refering to is his career trajectory that will go the route of "what if", unless he has a near miraculus redemption story in his next job in the Premier League at a new low/mid-table club. You simply wont get hired in a big-six club as a manager without a big pedigree, or results to back you up. Potter took a gamble with Chelsea and he failed to deliver, no other CL club is going to take a chance on him as their next manager, so he has to start from scratch and rebuild his reputation.

C'est Moi Cantona

Surely has to be one of the most expensive managerial mistakes ever.

Must be making a bit of a hole into that £1.75 billion pledge by now, with not that much to show for it.

Nickosaur

I don’t see how it could. Potter’s work at Brighton is impressive regardless of what De Zerbi has done since. For starters De Zerbi walked into a much different Brighton than the one Potter walked into and he has Potter, in part, to thank for that.
Completely agree.
Potter is an excellent coach. But at the time I said the Chelsea job was probably too soon for him.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
He will be fine in the sense that he is financially set for life, and he will find a new managerial position in due time.

What I am refering to is his career trajectory that will go the route of "what if", unless he has a near miraculus redemption story in his next job in the Premier League at a new low/mid-table club. You simply wont get hired in a big-six club as a manager without a big pedigree, or results to back you up. Potter took a gamble with Chelsea and he failed to deliver, no other CL club is going to take a chance on him as their next manager, so he has to start from scratch and rebuild his reputation.
Spurs should really really be all over this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity imho!

OrcaFat

I didn’t think he would succeed.

I admit this is purely based on how he comes across in public - his public persona is a bit lacking in charisma and steeliness. We only see a fraction of the man and it’s not his full true self that we see in interviews and press conferences but I think it’s a factor in how he is perceived by the players he is leading.

He will, I’m sure, go on to do very well at smaller clubs.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
You're right. The very idea that it could is absolutely idiotic. Otherwise, the validation of a coach leaving is in things going to shit after his departure.

SuperiorXI

He utterly failed at Chelsea however it will be a tough place for any manager over the next few years with those insane contracts they have dished out.

dinostar77

Was he fired because chelsea were worried nigelsmann would take the spurs job? So get rid of potter asap and get nigelsmann to come to chelsea instead?

C'est Moi Cantona

Guaranteed Potter didn't want all those players in January, it would have been a monumental task making that work for a top manager, let alone a potential one still finding his way, everybody knew it, except Boehly and his sidekicks it seems

Very unfair on Potter, I hope he enjoys his money now, and for me it'll be slate wiped clean when he comes back at a proper club.