Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
What do you reckon? Time for some Pochettino redemption?
Luis Enrique or Pochettino is what they need to steer them in the right direction. All the talks about Nagelsmann, but he has not really done that well at Bayern. When he was sacked, he had bayern second and his champion league exploit with them as well isn't that impressive. It seems Nagelsmann is living of the hype of his name.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
That is one expensive mistake. Not the first from Boehly, certainly not the last
It probably will be on the basis that the playing side of the recruitment is now handled by Vivell and the rest of the recruitment team.

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal
This is surprising because I thought he was there for the long haul. Then again its typical Chelsea.

How many British coaches have been sacked now this season?

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal
All the shit ones, Britain doesn't produce good coaches.
Why is that though?

With all the money spent I'm English football and the cost of coaching badges, courses etc. You'd expect us to be on par with the Italians, Germans etc.

It's something I've been curious about for many years now.

dan1509

Be thankful we didnt hire him. Many posters on here wanted him when he was at Brighton. He did seem to be a quality coach over there, so this is no knock to those posters

jesperjaap

Since last summer I have been baffled by two things. The purchases don't seem to make any sense and why so many players accepted to join Chelsea when it made no Football sense. It's not entirely linked to Potter because he wasn't around for the majority of it but I think that it played a big role in his demise.
It think that any manager would have struggled unless they had the courage to make tough decisions and isolate a number of players in favor of a smaller and more sensible group.

Agree, some fantastic young players I cant believe have gone to Chelsea...Gusto when Reece James is there, Chukwuemeka when other youngsters more established arent gettign games, Madueke when so many others have failed to make the spot there own.....etc etc I wonder if its bad career choices or money motivation?

I do think any manager would have struggled. They never should have fired Tuchel.....but though only a few months, Potters record was diabolical, he did have to go, should have a good month ago in fact it was so bad.

crossy1686

career ending
Why is that though?

With all the money spent I'm English football and the cost of coaching badges, courses etc. You'd expect us to be on par with the Italians, Germans etc.

It seems English managers aren't willing to do lower leagues or learn on the job elsewhere anymore. They're rushing to be appointed to a top 4 PL team without the experience or know how to manage at that level. Look at Lampard, Gerrard, Potter etc, foreign managers start out at lower league or lesser teams in their countries and work their way up, learning on the way, which is probably why they're better equipped to deal with managing at this level.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

People need to stop saying this. He's done nothing to prove he could handle that role in any capacity.
To be fair, international management isn't the pinnacle for elite managers nowadays. Martinez got sacked from Everton and was rewarded with the Belgium job. He then underperformed with Belgium and got the Portugal job.

crossy1686

career ending
To be fair, international management isn't the pinnacle for elite managers nowadays. Martinez got sacked from Everton and was rewarded with the Belgium job. He then underperformed with Belgium and got the Portugal job.
He only got the job because he was cheap though, Belgium couldn't afford a good manager with their budget and he was the best available with what they had to spend.

Yorke to Cole

You missed the point, I'm not questioning why good players would join you but why that many players join any team where there is clearly an issue with fitting them. This is a permanent problem.
Does anyone think that with players Chelsea brought, they might have done a head count on away trips and missed someone out, like what happened to Kevin in Home Alone?

crossy1686

career ending
You missed the point, I'm not questioning why good players would join you but why that many players join any team where there is clearly an issue with fitting them. This is a permanent problem.
Is there an issue fitting them in though? A good manager gets a tune out of some of them, maybe he shores up the defence, or gets the left or right side playing well, or maybe there's some kind of pattern to the play etc. We've seen none of that from Potter and that's the concern really. With all the players Chelsea have signed, at least a couple should be playing well.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Why is that though?

For the EPL, Howe and Potter are actually very good coaches, and Rodgers a more established coach already. You also have Dyche, even if he is a bit out of the times, and Southgate as well even if he’s flat. After that, it’s real life and the results they get.

I mean, all these seem an improvement or progress on the correspondent, previous generation of Pardew / Moyes / McClaren / Allardyce / Bruce?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It seems English managers aren't willing to do lower leagues or learn on the job elsewhere anymore. They're rushing to be appointed to a top 4 PL team without the experience or know how to manage at that level. Look at Lampard, Gerrard, Potter etc, foreign managers start out at lower league or lesser teams in their countries and work their way up, learning on the way, which is probably why they're better equipped to deal with managing at this level.
You're just blabbing the usual cliches fans spout now about managerial qualifications.

What English manager was rushing to be appointed to a top 4 PL team (2 of those slots have been closed off indefinitely for years now between City and Liverpool)? There are plenty of English managers in the Championship and further down in the english pyramid.

And this is the wrong thread to even make the point you are trying to make... If anyone did it the "right" way, it's Potter. He failed at the final step but no one can accuse him of rushing his way there, he did a great job with Brighton.

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal
Potter was coaching university football for many years before joining Ostersaunds in the lower leagues and doing well there.
Rodgers also begun his career coaching Chelseas academy before working his way up the leagues at senior level.

I'm sure there are numerous other examples over the years. It just seems at the top level, British coaches never thrive. The only ones I can think of in the last twenty years are Ferguson and to a lesser extent Moyes at Everton

Reactions: oates

mu4c_20le

Wrong. Win win for him.

If he fails it wont hurt his stock. If he succeeds it'll do his stock tremendously.

Plus the money is presumably good.
Why won't it hurt his stock :confused: maybe not in here, where many are obsessed with him. Of course it will hurt his stock, he'll have to rebuild himself again.
Won't hurt his bank balance TBF!

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal
For the EPL, Howe and Potter are actually very good coaches, and Rodgers a more established coach already. You also have Dyche, even if he is a bit out of the times, and Southgate as well even if he’s flat. After that, it’s real life and the results they get.

I mean, all these seem an improvement or progress on the correspondent, previous generation of Pardew / Moyes / McClaren / Allardyce / Bruce?
I forgot about Dyche actually, he's a good coach and I wouldnt say he's out of the times; just his teams play a different brand of football.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

He only got the job because he was cheap though, Belgium couldn't afford a good manager with their budget and he was the best available with what they had to spend.
Fair enough - I didn't know Belgium couldn't afford anyone better. Wouldn't you say Potter is more qualified for the England job than Southgate was though?

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Firing Tuchel was mental, never made sense.
Yeah, they might have underestimated the importance of a high manager-club fit.
I maintain my opinion that he's a fraud and was managing at a level way higher than his ability.

This experiment just proved he's a midtable manager who has no business managing top club with a lot of big personality.
I would say he was overwhelmed by the task.

UweBein

Supports
Chelsea
He didnot underperform. Third place in a WC is a massive achievement for Belgium.

crossy1686

career ending
You're just blabbing the usual cliches fans spout now about managerial qualifications.

What English manager was rushing to be appointed to a top 4 PL team (2 of those slots have been closed off indefinitely for years now between City and Liverpool)? There are plenty of English managers in the Championship and further down in the english pyramid.

And this is the wrong thread to even make the point you are trying to make... If anyone did it the "right" way, it's Potter. He failed at the final step but no one can accuse him of rushing his way there, he did a great job with Brighton.
He did? Surely a team like Tottenham would have been a better role for him before taking on Chelsea? He jumped from a - don't get relegated team - to a - we expect to win every game team. Those a massive differences in expectations and he wasn't ready for it. He should have gone for a Tottenham next who are more of a - we don't expect to win every week and top 4 is a nice to have team.

But again, he took the job because he was offered it instead of thinking what the best move for his career actually was. Now he'll struggle to get appointed at top half team because he's publically proven he was out of his depth in a big way. There was no rush for this job, it would have come eventually, he was trying to speed run his career for no reason.

Robbie Boy

He's a midtable level manager. Best case scenario is he takes over a midtable club, gets backed, and gets them into Europe. I always thought it was a bizarre appointment by Chelsea.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Why is that though?

How are you people gauging managerial talent by nationality?

The PL is the best league in the world (so we are told). Aspiring English managers face competition for the top club manager spots not only from their fellow countrymen, but from top managers from other countries who desire the challenge and extra pay (and huge severance in the case of Chelsea).

You have Unai Emery coming in to manage Aston Villa. Unai Emery. Multiple winner of the Europa League, took Sevilla to many top 4 finishes. What other league faces that level of competition?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Is there an issue fitting them in though? A good manager gets a tune out of some of them, maybe he shores up the defence, or gets the left or right side playing well, or maybe there's some kind of pattern to the play etc. We've seen none of that from Potter and that's the concern really. With all the players Chelsea have signed, at least a couple should be playing well.
There is too many of them, so yes there is an issue fitting them unless FIFA decides that we are moving to 13 or 15 players instead of 11.

crossy1686

career ending
Potter was coaching university football for many years before joining Ostersaunds in the lower leagues and doing well there.
Rodgers also begun his career coaching Chelseas academy before working his way up the leagues at senior level.

I'm sure there are numerous other examples over the years. It just seems at the top level, British coaches never thrive. The only ones I can think of in the last twenty years are Ferguson and to a lesser extent Moyes at Everton
Because managing in Sweden and managing Chelsea are different beasts. How are you supposed to handle the expectation of Chelsea when you've never done anything remotely near that? It's the same for other managers, we see it every season.

crossy1686

career ending
There is too many of them, so yes there is an issue fitting them unless FIFA decides that we are moving to 13 or 15 players instead of 11.
Well yes, there's an issue fitting them in because they're all playing shite. If he managed to get 11 of those players playing well there wouldn't be any issue fitting anyone in and they'd have a nailed on first 11 instead of a squad of 40 disjoined players. Again, that's the managers job.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

He didnot underperform. Third place in a WC is a massive achievement for Belgium.
With the squad of players Belgium had in 2018, I think a semi final place was to be expected. To get knocked out of the group stages in Qatar was a massive underachievement.

crossy1686

career ending
Fair enough - I didn't know Belgium couldn't afford anyone better. Wouldn't you say Potter is more qualified for the England job than Southgate was though?
Not really, Southgate managed the u21's for years and was part of the England fold before moving into the main job. We've seen in the past appointing club managers as international managers just doesn't work.

UweBein

Supports
Chelsea
He's a midtable level manager. Best case scenario is he takes over a midtable club, gets backed, and gets them into Europe. I always thought it was a bizarre appointment by Chelsea.
I can imagine that Boehly liked him because he is a native speaker. American owners do not deal with foreign coaches. Also they have quite a different approach to deal with managers and coaches.
It might also explain why they fell out with Tuchel so quickly. Tuchel probably came across as very direct and brazen - whereas he simply lacked the ability to communicate in a charming and nuanced way.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I forgot about Dyche actually, he's a good coach and I wouldnt say he's out of the times; just his teams play a different brand of football.
I want to add that you can expect a number of former winning players from this golden PL era to become very good coaches in the coming years, even if Neville, Lamps, Slippy & others are not offering the best impression… and yes, I am very interested in what Rooney (!) is going to do with his reputation and cumulated credit.

mu4c_20le

I can imagine that Boehly liked him because he is a native speaker. American owners do not deal with foreign coaches. Also they have quite a different approach to deal with managers and coaches.
What :lol: