g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Was he fired because chelsea were worried nigelsmann would take the spurs job? So get rid of potter asap and get nigelsmann to come to chelsea instead?
They're only making plans, for Nigelsmann
They only want what's best for him
Nigelsmann just needs that helping hand

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Was he fired because chelsea were worried nigelsmann would take the spurs job? So get rid of potter asap and get nigelsmann to come to chelsea instead?
I hope we don’t get Bagel man.

We need a relegation expert. Fat Sam.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Since last summer I have been baffled by two things. The purchases don't seem to make any sense and why so many players accepted to join Chelsea when it made no Football sense. It's not entirely linked to Potter because he wasn't around for the majority of it but I think that it played a big role in his demise.
It think that any manager would have struggled unless they had the courage to make tough decisions and isolate a number of players in favor of a smaller and more sensible group.

el3mel

I maintain my opinion that he's a fraud and was managing at a level way higher than his ability.

This experiment just proved he's a midtable manager who has no business managing top club with a lot of big personality.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
why so many players accepted to join Chelsea when it made no Football sense.
For the same reason we got Kante and peak Conte after finishing 10th.

One swallow doesn't make a summer.

mu4c_20le

Since last summer I have been baffled by two things. The purchases don't seem to make any sense and why so many players accepted to join Chelsea when it made no Football sense. It's not entirely linked to Potter because he wasn't around for the majority of it but I think that it played a big role in his demise.
It think that any manager would have struggled unless they had the courage to make tough decisions and isolate a number of players in favor of a smaller and more sensible group.
Chelsea have always been a top club under Roman's stewardship. Give it a few years out of the CL and see what happens.

Waynne

The writing was on the wall the moment he signed up for Chelsea.

No pre-season with the team and with the outgoing manager's signings.

It was a car crash in slow-mo.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
For the same reason we got Kante and peak Conte after finishing 10th.

One swallow doesn't make a summer.
You missed the point, I'm not questioning why good players would join you but why that many players join any team where there is clearly an issue with fitting them. This is a permanent problem.

Jeffthered

I actually thought they would stick with him.

Owners have made a huge statement here. After buying all those players? Next manager will need a season just to work out the squad. Absolutely crazy, and just to think how their actions completely derailed the transfer market during this season...

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
He will be fine in the sense that he is financially set for life, and he will find a new managerial position in due time.

What I am refering to is his career trajectory that will go the route of "what if", unless he has a near miraculus redemption story in his next job in the Premier League at a new low/mid-table club. You simply wont get hired in a big-six club as a manager without a big pedigree, or results to back you up. Potter took a gamble with Chelsea and he failed to deliver, no other CL club is going to take a chance on him as their next manager, so he has to start from scratch and rebuild his reputation.
If he decided to decline the job at Chelsea, his ultimate ambition would have still been to manage a club at the top levels in England. Given what we know today, odds are that he would have done a similarly shit job at a club with higher and more instant expectations of success than Brighton on his first run. So this outcome was inevitable, unless he decided to "know his place" and stay at Brighton.

With that in mind, i don't think he needs a miraculous run at his next club. He just needs to do well. Club chairmen aren't overreacting like us fans, plus, Chelsea and Boehly are valid mitigating factors that can be explained away in any interview.

Tottenham could do worse than him. They won't, but then again, who was their last successful managerial appointment?

mu4c_20le

I actually thought they would stick with him.

Owners have made a huge statement here. After buying all those players? Next manager will need a season just to work out the squad. Absolutely crazy, and just to think how their actions completely derailed the transfer market during this season...
Wouldn't surprise me at all if the next manager actually makes the team look coherent, and Potter looking stupid.

Emery walked into a Villa team with a bunch of new signings and got them playing immediately.

Dazzmondo

I'm a bit surprised tbh. I assumed they had already written off the league and thought they'd stick with him until they went out of CL. Must be due to a major managerial target being available (probably Nagelsmann). If Nagelsmann was wise he'd steer clear.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse

crossy1686

career ending
:lol: At the Chelsea fans who were insistent he wasn't going anywhere.

"All part of Bohely's long term plan! He'll be here for years!".

7 months later, gone.

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
bloody nigelsmann is still wet from the boat and they want to put him up in a plush knightsbridge hotel whilst the rest of us god fearing englishmen are stuck toiling fields and sleeping with are sisters.
:lol:

mu4c_20le

7 months later, gone.
I don't think they ever believed that, they were just parroting Boehly.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea

7 months later, gone.
I’ll admit that I was one of those Chelsea supporters who thought there was no way in hell they‘d sack him this season.

But that was because I figured the embarrassment to Boehly would be so great that Potter was safe at least through his first season. The entire club has essentially been shaped around Potter. Coaching staff, scouts, etc. For the owner to do all that I thought they’d stick with him no matter how awful things got.

LARulz

There is an obvious candidate but another I worry would be good for them is Amorim

John_Jensen

Earlier in the season I was arguing on here that Howe was as good or better than Potter. A few nauseating types were laughing at the idea because Howe, despite having had similiar or better success at Bournemouth over a more prolonged period of time than Potter, had one bad season in which he was relegated. It just made me smile remembering that today as Howe moved into 3rd place on the same day that Potter's shambolic reign at Chelsea came to an end. They're both good managers, and another club will be lucky to have an opportunity to hire Potter.

"Needless to say, i had the last laugh"

mu4c_20le

The entire club has essentially been shaped around Potter. Coaching staff, scouts, etc. For the owner to do all that I thought they’d stick with him no matter how awful things got.
:lol: treated him like the second coming of Pep and Arteta. Roman must be rolling in his grave.

crossy1686

career ending
I’ll admit that I was one of those Chelsea supporters who thought there was no way in hell they‘d sack him this season.

But that was because I figured the embarrassment to Boehly would be so great that Potter was safe at least through his first season. The entire club has essentially been shaped around Potter. Coaching staff, scouts, etc. For the owner to do all that I thought they’d stick with him no matter how awful things got.
But that's an insane way to run any business - "I refuse to make a decision because it my ego can't handle it".

Potter has been absolutely terrible, he's up there with the worst top 4 manager appointments ever. Whether or not that's entirely his fault we don't know, but we can't argue that despite Chelsea buying about 40 players this year, he can't seem to get a tune out of at least 5 of those players, which is a huge concern for any team.

He had to go, there's no two ways about it. It's completely common for a manager to come in and bring his own team with him, Moyes, LVG, Mourinho, Ten Hag all did it with us, Moyes brought half of Everton with him for fecks sake.

Anyway, I'm of the opinion Potter was an absolute chancer. He lacks the mentality to manage at this level, he'll find his place as a mid table manager now.