Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

JagUTD

I would happily take him on a 18 month contract. I see very few negatives. The upside far if all goes well far outweighs the downside if it doesn't.
You've got it upside down again.

SER19

just to confirm, there are some people who'd gladly see ten hag sacked for the guy who had a 38% win percentage at Chelsea, and who has never won anything.

Brilliant - good to know we're at the Grass is Absurdly Greener stage of things - despite a list of names of embarrassing candidates that people have wanted in the last decade, only to later see them fail terribly elsewhere and be forgotten about.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
just to confirm, there are some people who'd gladly see ten hag sacked for the guy who had a 38% win percentage at Chelsea, and who has never won anything.

Brilliant - good to know we're at the Grass is Absurdly Greener stage of things - despite a list of names of embarrassing candidates that people have wanted in the last decade, only to later see them fail terribly elsewhere and be forgotten about.
To be fair, most wanted Ten Hag.... Maybe one day we'll get it right.

RVN1991

You realise our squad is arse too, right?
That's precisely why I think replacing ETH is pretty much pointless. Still I don't agree with this notion that Potter is some kind of inept idiot just because of what happened at Chelsea. Pochettino is doing worse with arguably a better squad and I don't see his reputation getting hit like potter's has been.

Bondi77

So what makes you think he could handle the United shitshow then?
I really do not know but he is as good a choice as any and he is English and his teams played good football at Swansea and Brighton
We have had the multi trophy winning managers in our recent history and the football has been dire with a little bit of trophy success and constant unrest in the dressing room to go with it.
I have not given up on Erik anyway as he was a much sought after coach before he came to our club and he seems like a strong character that works hard and all we need is the players to follow suit.

Steve 007

Our season seems doomed. Potter isn’t the man to save it. As Potch is proving at Chelsea, it takes more than a manager though.

IRELANDUNITED

Unless you are being sarcastic, I think you should let go of this delusion of grandeur.
There’s nothing sarcastic about what I’ve said. Despite the struggles we’ve had over the past decade we are still the biggest club in the world. We are football. I’ve said this recently it’s 100% the truth.

As an actual side we are not elite, we have too many players that are not of high enough quality. But we are an elite club, we are the biggest club in the world. When people think football they think Manchester United. It’s not an opinion, it’s a fact. We belong at the very top of football and we will get back there, sooner or later.

PoTMS

You've got it upside down again.
Maybe. I was convinced Ten Hag would be the messiah. Alas, he was not. However, I'm willing to give Potter a chance. Back to basics, just coach a system into this group of players. Make us look a semblance of a football team.

astracrazy

If we sign Potter I'm done with the club and it will just highlight SJR is going to be a disaster.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The reality is that he failed at a club which looked very poorly run, which doesn't rule out his potential as a top manager.
Some could say the same of Ten Hag if he goes too.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
There’s nothing sarcastic about what I’ve said. Despite the struggles we’ve had over the past decade we are still the biggest club in the world. We are football. I’ve said this recently it’s 100% the truth.

As an actual side we are not elite, we have too many players that are not of high enough quality. But we are an elite club, we are the biggest club in the world. When people think football they think Manchester United. It’s not an opinion, it’s a fact. We belong at the very top of football and we will get back there, sooner or later.
Go get Real Madrid, Bayern or City current manager then. It should be easy.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

:lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He is 100% wrong but I see where he is coming from. United like the other historically great clubs are more attractive even when they are in bad shape, now the reality of the matter is that none of them can get any manager they want not even Real Madrid who are by some distance the most attractive club in the world. Personally I would put United alongside Milan or Inter, they are very attractive but top managers won't sign for them without thinking.

SungSam7

This is the scenario I was afraid of with Ratcliffe.
The first thing Ratcliffe can do is actually put a structure in, play out the rest of the season while implementing changes.

Trying to pick out a manager without having a structure is just doing it backwards again, the DOF should be figuring out a good fit for the style of football the club wants to go down.

Its almost like anyone that comes on, thinks the club is their personal FM.

astracrazy

The reality is that he failed at a club which looked very poorly run, which doesn't rule out his potential as a top manager.
Even more reason for him to stay well away from here then. If he failed at that very poorly run club then he has no right to be linked with this one.

The potential is still there, but until he goes somewhere and shows it then his reality is his failure at Chelsea, especially as Brighton have only pushed on since he left.

desirere

If we sack Ten Hag to get Potter, I will be convinced we are living in a poorly written simulation.

RedBanker

I love you Ole

As I said. You have basically elaborated the delusion which you are harboring. We were the biggest in England for a long while. We were never the biggest in Europe, never mind the world. Even in the 80s, 90s , 00s. Never. The last elite player we bought and could retain during their prime was 2004. That shows something right? You tell me what. The only elite we had about ourselves was SAF. The GOAT. We are not football. Never were.

Oranges038

People also want a guy who's teams are notorious for not scoring enough goals.

To take over a team, that doesn't score enough goals.

Tap

No. They think Barca and Real. Even during the glory days under Fergie, we were never really under the radar of football stars.

The Firestarter

True, but I can understand why he decided to take the Chelsea job. What manager wouldn't want a crack at the big time?
A manager that correctly sees what owners he will be dealing with. He could have turned them down politely , knowing that other clubs also would come calling, his stock was high. Career wise he is in a worse position (possibly permanently) than if he had stayed at BHA. Financially its of course different. So I can definitely understand him going to Chelsea but not everyone would jump at it.

Camilo

Potter?! He's not even foreign. How are we going to play incredible football without a foreigner? LvG, Jose, ETH...looks like the recent years of free flowing sumptuous football are behind us now.

GoldanoGraham

This is just pure nonsense.

There will be no managerial change anytime soon.

The first thing on the Ineos agenda will be helping ETH get some deadwood out and help to improve the squad.

I’m pretty sure that anything that they do will be very closely guarded and not the leaky ways of the current organisation.

Potter’s name is just being used to destabilise ETH currently as they know INeos cannot respond as currently they don’t own anything at Utd!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Even more reason for him to stay well away from here then. If he failed at that very poorly run club then he has no right to be linked with this one.

The potential is still there, but until he goes somewhere and shows it then his reality is his failure at Chelsea, especially as Brighton have only pushed on since he left.
The reports suggest he'd come under Ineos ownership, so it's not the same thing

Kingofwinners

The first thing on the Ineos agenda will be helping ETH get some deadwood out and help to improve the squad.

I’m pretty sure that anything that they do will be very closely guarded and not the leaky ways of the current organisation.

Potter’s name is just being used to destabilise ETH currently as they know INeos cannot respond as currently they don’t own anything at Utd!
I hope this is right. We need to sort out some fundamentals first, clear out Sancho and others that are not coming with the right focus. Get a DoF in who sets style of play, transfers etc. Hire a cuddly assistant manager to read bed time stories to our stars. Then let’s see if Ten Hag can get something moving, if not fire him and give the new person a proper chance.

Gordon Godot

Not sure what makes you so sure. Radcliffe sees the appalling waste of our spending but also ETH's results and lack of improvement on the pitch will be under great scrutiny. The current club management (Arnold and Murtough) went all in on ETH and lost. The new regime will be ruthless and I expect ETH to go sooner rather than later