Graham Potter | Apparently in "serious" talks with Ajax

romufc

I dont understand fans who say he should reject the Chelsea job because another job will come about.. erm no.

Chelsea is one of the big jobs, a manager whos stock is high now, will obviously want to move when his stock is at the highest.

What other jobs are bigger than Chelsea? I dont see Liverpool or City coming in for him anytime soon.

He will get money to spend and time because this is the owners choice.

Who is to say he turns it down, Brighton have a few injuries and his stock is lowered? Any manager with aspirations to be at the top will take the job any day of the week.

TheReligion

Abusive
I dont understand fans who say he should reject the Chelsea job because another job will come about.. erm no.

Chelsea is one of the big jobs, a manager whos stock is high now, will obviously want to move when his stock is at the highest.

What other jobs are bigger than Chelsea? I dont see Liverpool or City coming in for him anytime soon.

He will get money to spend and time because this is the owners choice.

Who is to say he turns it down, Brighton have a few injuries and his stock is lowered? Any manager with aspirations to be at the top will take the job any day of the week.
Reading reports that Boehly is difficult to deal with, likes his own way and left Tuchel exasperated. No wonder he’s been so fed up this summer.

Potter will need to get used to this.

redshaw

Poch has got a lot of experience dealing with bigger names. Our players at United wanted a name like him as well.

With Boehly talking to players often you could see them expressing doubts and so on if things aren't going to plan with Potter. It's quite a jump from Brighton to Chelsea and players will be skeptical.

avgp_1

I'd be rather disappointed if they get Potter. I think he'll do very well.

He is one of those that mixes it up, his teams play the pretty stuff with runners off the ball, combinations and overloads in the box.

And then he also plays quite a bit of pragmatic football when necessary to get results. Never ugly but sensible. He will get results for them.
He is a very smart manager.

Orange Tree

Zidane will be interesting. But when we were linked with him, the rumor was that he isn't interested in the english league.

Another Pep Guardiola is my idol will be fun.

kaku06

The guy is a wizard. A brilliant coach who I would have happily had at United if it wasn't for ten Hag. I much prefer him to Tuchel. Chelsea will have the right man in the building now. Just a case of whether they'll let him stay there.
I agree wholeheartedly. I sense something very very special about him. I’m a tiny bit heartbroken that he is going to Chelsea because I would have loved him at united. I wanted him before ten hag. He just screams a right united manager to me. I’m fully behind ten hag though and I like what he is doing.

Dominos

Someone

Something
Potter is great, but making the step up to a big team is never easy. More pressure, bigger egos, bigger stages, and less patience. Moyes really struggled with that.

Obviously all great managers had to make the big step up at some point, but the really successful ones had to do it at the big stage without great resources. Poch made it to a CL final with Spurs, that was a miracle back then, Klopp won titles with Dortmund and had some impressive CL runs, Mourinho won the CL with Porto, the list goes on. That doesn't mean that potter can't make it, but questions will always be asked and doubts will arise easily at every bad result.

Remember the geese

I agree wholeheartedly. I sense something very very special about him. I’m a tiny bit heartbroken that he is going to Chelsea because I would have loved him at united. I wanted him before ten hag. He just screams a right united manager to me. I’m fully behind ten hag though and I like what he is doing.
Yeah he is the one that I really don't want Chelsea to appoint. It's only a matter of time though because if it isn't this job, it will be another top 6 club down the line. Ideally I would have liked him to get the England job. Ten Hag was my first choice for United due to him being a talented coach, winning things with Ajax and experience in the Champions League. Potter was a close second.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Depends what the club's priority is. There are a few managers who should make them competitive in the CL in the same way that Tuchel did, but it's likely a different profile of manager required to make them compete for a league title.

romufc

Reading reports that Boehly is difficult to deal with, likes his own way and left Tuchel exasperated. No wonder he’s been so fed up this summer.

Potter will need to get used to this.
Right, lets all blame Boehly when this is exactly what Tuchel is known for :lol:

Dortmund, PSG and now Chelsea, he has a history of falling out with the board.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Zidane turned down United down when we were scouting out replacements for Ole, and has turned PSG down. It seems likely he's got the France job lined up after the world cup and isn't interested in a club side at the moment.
I think Zizu is waiting for the France job.
The salient point is the profile of the coach, Zidane being a prime example.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Hope he completely flops. Penny for Billy Gilmour’s thoughts also.

Chairman Steve

This is a big risk for Chelsea to take in my opinion. An ideal road for Potter to have taken this job would have involved taking a team like Leicester and doing what Rodgers did in his first two full seasons there.

This seems like a big leap for someone who has not won English silverware, never been to an English final, never dealt with high profile players, never had this level of expectations and hasn’t really dealt with European football for a while.

I wish him all the best since he seems like a nice guy and he’s had a great managerial road so far. I can appreciate a man who has left the UK to build his career up abroad like he did.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Poor move from Potter in my opinion not the place to go for stability and club building.
I think it's difficult to tell what sort of owners Boehly and co will be to be honest. How things go with Potter will be more telling than this decision to sack Tuchel, which even though it shocked and saddened me, was always potentially on the cards given new owners tend to want to install their own guy who aligns with their vision.

Sviken

Very risky from Potter, but I guess these chances don't come often so I can understand him. Still, he is a squad builder, not someone that can bring you instant success and Chelsea chops off manager heads pretty fast so I'm not worried.

largelyworried

I think it's difficult to tell what sort of owners Boehly and co will be to be honest. How things go with Potter will be more telling than this decision to sack Tuchel, which even though it shocked and saddened me, was always potentially on the cards given new owners tend to want to install their own guy who aligns with their vision.
The thing that would give me a bit of concern was Chelsea briefing about how Boehly wanted Ronaldo, but Tuchel wasn't interested and Boehly wasn't happy with that. Quite apart from the questionable judgement over Ronaldo's current ability, that doesn't suggest an owner that is interested in empire building. It makes it sound like he's a shiny toy type. If he is, Potter is unlikely to ring his bell.

Teja

Good appointment for them unfortunately.

Hope he implodes like Moyes from being unable to deal with the pressure at Chelsea. Prep your best tapes of MacAllister, Gross and Lamptey to school Sterling, Mount and James please Potter.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Risky. I'd have pegged him as a successor to Klopp or Guardiola once one of them fecked off, and both those clubs would've suited him far better than the mess of Chelsea.