Graham Potter | Apparently in "serious" talks with Ajax

Irrational.

He’s a good manager for a side that are paying the price for years of hoarding players that didn’t fit their system that they didn’t need.

Abraxas

Not good. I think most observers would expect a loss today with the difference in class between the sides and injuries Chelsea have but at the same time there was no sign of any plan and that's your job as manager. As a manager you can't have such a hapless showing at a big club too often no matter what, especially within the context of their league form.

The way he talks is not inspiring confidence, either. I don't think you can handle the press like he does as a manager at a top club. He needs to be more demanding, more authoritative. It reminds me of Moyes, deer in the headlights stuff.

Still, I think if you appointed him in the first place you would think they should stick with him and hope he learns very quickly because otherwise what was the point in appointing an upcoming, young manager.

Wilt

That’ll be the last time Potter shakes Pep‘s hand for a long time

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Would love to see some of the hot takes before he was signing.

I thought he a good up and coming coach but this is shambolic. I bet he didn't even want the job but he had to take it. You don't knock back a big club like cheslea and expect people to take you serious as a coach.
He should have said no and stayed with Brighton for the rest of the season. Their transfer policy and players that waited him at Chelsea are all wrong for his first top job (and all that without preseason).

If he survives until summer, maybe he will have a chance, but that is a big if at this point.

mu4c_20le

Good managers don’t lose the players like this.
I wonder if he had them to begin with.

Will never forget playing Sterling as a wingback when he first started. Completely killed his confidence and momentum.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I think we're seeing the difference between a coach and a manager. Chelsea need a manager. The job is too big for him.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Even though he was apparently a total Nutter to work with, Tuchel got a much better tune out of this side. They never looked this poor under him

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I’m a big Potter fan but that was so flat and irrespective of injuries there was zero effort from the players. An xG of 0.1 is laughably bad.

If Zidane wants the job now do you pull the trigger?

@WeePat @duffer @TheMagicFoolBus @SirReginald @ZolaWasMagic

I know it’s a big if but your policy in the past has been sack and move on quickly. It’s worked too..
I think we'd have to. But, i really dont see Boehly sacking Potter. The fact he has brought in a bunch of brighton staff, and recruitment guys, says it all

Nick7

I think he’s a good manager. But jumping ship to Chelsea was a terrible terrible move. Should have waited till the end of the season.

Abraxas

He should have said no and stayed with Brighton for the rest of the season. Their transfer policy and players that waited him at Chelsea are all wrong for his first top job (and all that without preseason).

If he survives until summer, maybe he will have a chance, but that is a big if at this point.
I'm not so sure about this. The top jobs don't come around very often for a manager. If you're Graham Potter and you reject that job, it could be years before another opportunity presents itself. In fact, if he has even one below par season at Brighton he is out of the running altogether, possibly indefinitely. Your lustre can wear off pretty quick as a PL manager.

Were the players we have ideal for Erik ten Hag? We lacked quality and character. You have to make it work as a manager at a top club, simple as that. Do enough to gain credibility in the job and build. It is unrealistic to think you're going to get handed a perfect job with ideal players on a platter as Graham Potter. Only Klopp and Pep can probably do that in world football. The rest are always walking into a shit show as there's usually a reason managers get sacked.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think we'd have to. But, i really dont see Boehly sacking Potter. The fact he has brought in a bunch of brighton staff, and recruitment guys, says it all
I’m just curious what you guys would do.

Tend to agree Bohley won’t although there must be a red line somewhere.

marcus agrippa

Not one bit. We've been through this cycle enough times over the past 10 years to recognise the signs.

The players, clearly, aren't sold on him and they think/know if it goes wrong he'll be out.

We can argue the toss about it, sure as hell have under a few United coaches over the past decade, but multimillionaire players aren't just going to listen to anyone. There's a lot of 'big' players in that squad who will look at Potter's CV and think: 'He's not got anything to show me.'
Especially when results start nosediving. Then it'll just be confirmation (fair or not) of what they already think. I remember Keown talking about that situation once, and he said that, to the players, the manager just becomes a 'talking head': you don't listen to what he says, he's just a voice in the background that you tune out. Sometimes it isn't even a conscious decision. You just don't believe anything he says is of any use.

And about Boehly: many on here called him Woodward Mk II. Nothing I've seen contradicts that.

It's a joy to watch it happen to another club. I'll be following this disaster with great interest!

cyberman

Why compound the mistake? Sometimes you just have to admit you ducked up and move on.
We are about 2 games away from your lot shouting to play the kids as if it’s a magic bullet. That only happens when you know the manager has lost the players

slored1

He has not been perfect, but come on. Compare the strength in quality of both teams' starting lineups today. This Chelsea team is an abomination without James, Chilwell and Kante. Says more about the stupid summer approach by Boehly than Potter/Tuchel IMO.

BarryWinks

I feel bad for him. Looks a decent bloke and took a job he thought was a natural progression. Unfortunately though, it is also a results business and so far he hasn't shown he can fix thing, or even patch them up.

I still think their squad is a mess and not fit for the type of football we've seen his Brighton side play, so in that case it was always going to be an uphill battle. But excuses cannot be made for ever and he should be held accountable for that, with context added of course.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I'm not so sure about this. The top jobs don't come around very often for a manager. If you're Graham Potter and you reject that job, it could be years before another opportunity presents itself. In fact, if he has even one below par season at Brighton he is out of the running altogether, possibly indefinitely. Your lustre can wear off pretty quick as a PL manager.

Were the players we have ideal for Erik ten Hag? We lacked quality and character. You have to make it work as a manager at a top club, simple as that. Do enough to gain credibility in the job and build. It is unrealistic to think you're going to get handed a perfect job with ideal players on a platter as Graham Potter. Only Klopp and Pep can probably do that.
Can't disagree with any of what you said because tbh this was my same thinking when he took the job. But, in hindsight, he should have waited.

As for ETH, he was in much better position (aside from being a superior manager) because he managed to fill first 11 with 4 players of his own where Martinez and Casemiro were massive in terms of changing the mentality. But yeah, he was also ruthless and showed a strong hand with the dressing room which Potter seems to lack. I said before, these are the same players that threw Tuchel under the bus just a year after he got most of them the biggest trophy they will ever win. They will do it again if you don't show them that you are in charge.

For me, the whole culture and the way the club has been run is just a wrong fit which made a hard job pretty much impossible though. Fans are also familiar with managerial merry-go-round, so I doubt they will show him much patience.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
This will be a lesson to clubs hiring upcoming managers from down the table. The gap in expectation and quality between the top clubs and bottom/mid table clubs is enormous.