Graham Potter | Apparently in "serious" talks with Ajax

croadyman

Oh ffs if not Tuchel, it’s gonna be Southgate then?
Nagelsmann gone
Motta gone
Potter gone
Amorim likely gone

Who else left? I hope it’s Tuchel in that case. Appointing Southgate will be the death of me.
Where is Motta gone then?

BorisManUtd

Nagelsmann gone
Motta gone
Potter gone
Amorim likely gone

Who else left? I hope it’s Tuchel in that case. Appointing Southgate will be the death of me.
Tuchel or ten Hag staying, feels that way atm. Amorim likely gone you say, to Livepool or?

macheda14

Nagelsmann gone
Motta gone
Potter gone
Amorim likely gone

Amorim gone to where?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Why do these managers keep getting decent jobs like Rangnick. If potter goes to Ajax then ETH will be struggling to get another job. There’s literally no one decent available in the summer for us. Why did Liverpool pull out of a deal for Amorim? He’s be worth a gamble no?

DJ_21

Nagelsmann gone
Motta gone
Potter gone
Amorim likely gone

Where’s Amroim going? Liverpool pulled out

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Why do these managers keep getting decent jobs like Rangnick. If potter goes to Ajax then ETH will be struggling to get another job. There’s literally no one decent available in the summer for us. Why did Liverpool pull out of a deal for Amorim? He’s be worth a gamble no?
Potter has had a good career he didnt do well at Chelsea but his resume is still good, why should he not get another job?

DJ_21

Potter has had a good career he didnt do well at Chelsea but his resume is still good, why should he not get another job?
I never said he shouldn’t and it wasn’t aimed at him. Was aimed more at Rangnick. What’s he done to warrant the Bayern job?

C'est Moi Cantona

That just leaves us Southgate then. I think INEOS wanted potter as they want us to play a more possession based football and potter is usually good at implementing that.
If they wanted Potter they'd get him.

I'd take Ten Hag staying over Southgate every time, and even I've lost faith in Ten Hag now.

DJ_21

If they wanted Potter they'd get him.

I'd take Ten Hag staying over Southgate every time, and even I've lost faith in Ten Hag now.
They can’t get him or anyone until they sack ETH but I actually believe now he’s the number 1 target to take over if he’s available that is. An underwhelming appointment it would be but it could work out. It may not. We could pick an outside manager that does well or we could pick a strong manager that fails.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
There were reports he wanted control of transfers at West Ham and the implication he had similar asks of Liverpool, hence why neither went anywhere (and hopefully wouldn't here, either).

C'est Moi Cantona

They can’t get him or anyone until they sack ETH but I actually believe now he’s the number 1 target to take over if he’s available that is. An underwhelming appointment it would be but it could work out. It may not. We could pick an outside manager that does well or we could pick a strong manager that fails.
Potter or Southgate will be a disaster, we might as well not bother, manager ability aside, they just don't have the personality for it.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Honestly thought he'd be in serious contention for West Ham but seems he's not on their shortlist.

Everton would be a good fit if they weren't a complete basketcase off the pitch. Same for Forest.

Probably regrets not taking the Lyon job now as I think he was offered it in October when they were bottom of the league and now they're comfortably top half and in the cup final.

If Ineos actually like him then maybe he'll go to Nice when Farioli moves on.

Rojofiam

What does this mean for Hag if he can’t go back to Ajax?
Feyenoord? They will be in need for another bald dutchie
https://theathletic.com/5391567/2024/04/05/ten-hag-manchester-united-future-murtough/

"Figures at Ajax wish for Ten Hag’s return, but it is unclear if that remains the case following the suspension of chief executive Alex Kroes, while Ten Hag does not want to return to Amsterdam."

Rojofiam

Ten Hag might change his mind on that once he's relieved of his duties as United manager
Doubt he will, as it's more than likely that he will have better offers within the top 5 leagues.

CM

Doubt he will, as it's more than likely that he will have better offers within the top 5 leagues.
I'm not sure it's that likely. If he's patient he might be able to swindle the Bayern gig eventually but I can't see many top clubs lining up to take him.

DJ_21

With potter going Ajax and Southgate leading England in the euros. I think it’s likely we stick with ETH. Who els is available that’s decent? But like SJR said when he first came, he wants the best in class in every department of the club: well all the best managers will be taken so unless they want to pay compensation…

croadyman

With potter going Ajax and Southgate leading England in the euros. I think it’s likely we stick with ETH. Who els is available that’s decent? But like SJR said when he first came, he wants the best in class in every department of the club: well all the best managers will be taken so unless they want to pay compensation…
Would only admit defeat on getting a new manager if Tuchel decides to stay at Bayern and Amorim at Sporting. Think we can safely say Zidane or Enrique isn't remotely realistic

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Did Nagelsmann already sign his new contract?
He did, will coach Germany until the next World Cup.
Well he can’t just decide to stay can he? The club have got rid of him, not surprisingly considering his just not a top league manager.
Their CEO sacked him, their new DoF started working a week later and doesn't seem to be very happy about that. So it is indeed a rumour that he already tried to convince Tuchel to stay.

DJ_21

Would only admit defeat on getting a new manager if Tuchel decides to stay at Bayern and Amorim at Sporting. Think we can safely say Zidane or Enrique isn't remotely realistic
Do we want Amorim now though? Rumours saying West Ham and Liverpool pulled out due to him wanting full control of transfers. This is what we’re trying to get rid of now.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Do we want Amorim now though? Rumours saying West Ham and Liverpool pulled out due to him wanting full control of transfers. This is what we’re trying to get rid of now.
Thought it was about his salary?
In any case agree any coach that can’t get onboard with not having transfer control is a no go.

DJ_21

Thought it was about his salary?
In any case agree any coach that can’t get onboard with not having transfer control is a no go.
I’m not sure, I’d imagine West Ham and Liverpool can pay him a lot more than what he’s on at sporting plus they’re both bigger teams in a bigger league. I’ve a feeling we might end up sticking with ETH and the excuse will be there’s no one better or available to come in this summer.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
An English trainer at Ajax. Preposterous, Ajax thaugt England how to play football, it will never work.

macheda14

Rumours are he held talks with West Ham to replace Moyes.

Edit - He is now linked to Chelsea.
The reports came out that they will no longer be progressing with those talks. He’s linked to Chelsea if the sack Poch same as if we sack ETH.

DavelinaJolie

The only main options left standing appear to be Tuchel and Amorim, excepting Southgate because I don't take that seriously.

If things end badly on the run in this season with no European Football I can see Tuchel coming in, which I'm ambivalent about, but if ETH finishes middling-to-well in 6th I can see him staying. I think he's helped by the turnover at the top and the structure not being in place yet to implement a vision. Europa league isn't CL obviously but it's still European football revenue, which is important. FA Cup seals that, but most likely we need to finish sixth?

Crimson King

The only main options left standing appear to be Tuchel and Amorim, excepting Southgate because I don't take that seriously.

If things end badly on the run in this season with no European Football I can see Tuchel coming in, which I'm ambivalent about, but if ETH finishes middling-to-well in 6th I can see him staying. I think he's helped by the turnover at the top and the structure not being in place yet to implement a vision. Europa league isn't CL obviously but it's still European football revenue, which is important. FA Cup seals that, but most likely we need to finish sixth?
What about Hansi Flick? Not saying I want him, but he's without a job at the moment and there hasn't been any links to him. I think he's been linked to Chelsea as a replacement for Poch, but that's it at the moment.

Anyway, I'd prefer Flick, Tuchel or Amorim to Southgate if we do change manager. I'm not sure any of them would get us to a point we'd compete properly with City, at least whilst Pep is still there, but they'd all be dependable 'guys before that guy', if you know what I mean.

Crimson King

I'm not sure it's that likely. If he's patient he might be able to swindle the Bayern gig eventually but I can't see many top clubs lining up to take him.
Maybe not clubs the size of United and Bayern, but according to people like Ornstein EtH is still quite highly thought of amongst European clubs. United are seen as a complete mess, so this season won't count against him outside of England as much as people seem to think/hope.