Graham Potter appointed Chelsea manager

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He is the manager we should go for after this possesion managers time finishes.

We can’t then go for a counter attacking manager etc. we need to stick to a possesion management plan.

matt23

Yeh but he's English so he's overrated and all that bullshit

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It's incredible the football he has them playing.

True we're rubbish, but still... He's a top top manager

Superunknown

He's got Brighton playing good football and he's got the right players with the right technical ability to play the way he wants. It's a case of choosing a system first and then making the players/getting the right players to play that style of football. Most people wouldn't be able (off the top of their heads) to name most of Brighton's first 11, because the sum is more important and greater than its individual parts. There's a lesson to be learned there.

caid

I wouldn't judge him on today. Hes a good manager but having a coherent team, willing to work hard is enough to get results against us at the moment. Still, hope he gets an opportunity at arsenal or better, his team plays good football and hes a credit to the league in terms of entertainment value.

Skills

Snitch
He's got Brighton playing good football and he's got the right players with the right technical ability to play the way he wants. It's a case of choosing a system first and then making the players/getting the right players to play that style of football. Most people wouldn't be able (off the top of their heads) to name most of Brighton's first 11, because the sum is more important and greater than its individual parts. There's a lesson to be learned there.
Erm no. Brighton don't have the resources to adopt an idealistic strategy.

They have recruited smartly and then just hired the right coach for the group they assembled. It was why they fired Hughton despite places like Redcafe having a crywank over the good job he was doing.

Red-17

Easily a top 5 manager in the league. Lost their best midfielder since they've been in the league and you wouldn't know it. One of those teams that always plays good football no matter who is in the lineup which is the sign of a well managed team. Everyone knows their roll.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Quality manager. His team play great football and can outplay some of the best teams in the league, we seen it at Liverpool last season. Jury is still out to see how he’d do at a bigger team.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Been doing well but that win was more about us being shite than them being brilliant.

Skills

Snitch
Quality manager. His team play great football and can outplay some of the best teams in the league, we seen it at Liverpool last season. Jury is still out to see how he’d do at a bigger team.
I think he'd do great, as long as you keep him away from transfer business like Brighton do.

Keep his remit to coaching and matchday and he'll be great at most clubs.

Castia

Sold 2 of his best players and his starting 11 consists of Welbeck and Lallana yet still plays nice football and gets results. Good manager.

JustAGuest

Would have loved to see him at United. His style is made for managing a better team. I think there's a good chance he ends up at the next available top 6 job.

Lecland07

Brilliant manager - had a good away record against the top six last season. They are not afraid to go at any team and get rewarded for it.

I think this will be his last season with Brighton, though. There are, potentially, three good openings available this season/next summer:

Chelsea - Tuchel seems to be getting a but restless
Tottenham - Conte doesn't stay at clubs long
England - Think the world cup will spell Southgate's end.

I can't see Arsenal - they just don't seem to have any intention of moving Arteta on.

Superunknown

They have recruited smartly and then just hired the right coach for the group they assembled. It was why they fired Hughton despite places like Redcafe having a crywank over the good job he was doing.
"Erm no"? :lol: What an arrogant response.

Also, yes, they have recruited smartly. Potter has been there since 2019 and they have signed players since then to enable him to play the football that he wants, which is exactly what I said. Unless you are saying that every player that plays for Brighton now was there before Potter, and he's just come in to manage them?

justboy68

Deserves a shot at a top job the next time one comes up. He's really good and proven it the hard way. Taking a 4th division team in Sweden all the way to the Europa League is crazy.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I think he'd do great, as long as you keep him away from transfer business like Brighton do.

Keep his remit to coaching and matchday and he'll be great at most clubs.
So he has no say in the players he wants?

NoPace

Brilliant manager - had a good away record against the top six last season. They are not afraid to go at any team and get rewarded for it.

I think this will be his last season with Brighton, though. There are, potentially, three good openings available this season/next summer:

Chelsea - Tuchel seems to be getting a but restless
Tottenham - Conte doesn't stay at clubs long
England - Think the world cup will spell Southgate's end.

I can't see Arsenal - they just don't seem to have any intention of moving Arteta on.
I think Conte will probably stay at Spurs at least another year, they look really settled now having bought well this summer. Their fans will be happy to finish 2nd or 3rd and make a decent CL run and Conte will be frustrated by losing the league but knowing he'll be backed to upgrade again at wingback or probably more likely in the center of defence I'd guess he'll stay and they'll spend big on a wingback, a creative midfield type like Maddison and a fancy CB like Gvardiol, Skriniar or Bastoni.

I'll guess that Potter will either take a big foreign job or maybe a project with money behind it like Newcastle. He might also just stay at Brighton and evaluate the offers every summer. Presumably he wants a top job but he hardly seems desperate to take whichever one comes up.

I was surprised he wasn't the consensus #2 choice behind Ten Hag on this board. Ten Hag seemed the safer pick and we've been a mess for a decade now so it makes sense, but I think at this point Pochettino has less upside than Potter does so I didn't really understand why he seemed to be the other candidate people really wanted. Part of the reason I like Ten Hag as a choice is that he's going to emphasize possession play and I think that will leave us in better stead long-term no matter how he fares, and Potter would have been similar. Pochettino I fear would have built a solid pressing side that finishes 4th or 5th but is desperate for results at the expense of improving our football and developing the younger talents like Sancho, Garnacho and whichever other young players we sign or play from the academy.

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Feels like Leicester will be in for him post Rodgers. Think Spurs may take a look given Conte isn't a long term strategy.

I think he can take Brighton into europa this season. This is his fourth season managing in prem now so he knows enough about the league.

Dante

Average bang
Would have loved to see him at United. His style is made for managing a better team. I think there's a good chance he ends up at the next available top 6 job.
No chance the online fanbase would have accepted an English manager. There would have been a revolt.

Blood Mage

If Ten Hag can't adapt to the league (I fully believe he will before you all jump on me) Potter has to be first in line to take over. Top coach.

m1tch

Can't really assess him on the game yesterday, a 2-1 win against the most open team in the league isn't that impressive.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
If Ten Hag can't adapt to the league (I fully believe he will before you all jump on me) Potter has to be first in line to take over. Top coach.
Agreed. I think it is very reasonable to have reservations after that absolute horror show of a game. I hope he succeeds too.

Trequarista10

The vast majority of their lineup were signed by Potter, not many Hughton signings still there.

BlueHaze

Let's not pretend he'd ever be a success here. I like what he's done with Brighton but we all know he'd be out of his depth here, make a bunch of weird signings and get sacked probably before the season ended. Incredibly difficult task for any manager to challenge for titles here when you are working under the Glazer's and their puppets.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
No chance the online fanbase would have accepted an English manager. There would have been a revolt.
I know considering how many English managers have won the PL (zero)

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Unfortunately, people like you would have a problem with black managers for the same reason.
I don't like putting personal info on this but I am black so there's no racist angle to my comment

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
What's your angle then? If he was the same person but born different, he'd suddenly be a good manager?
Ehm no this whole started on him (Potter) joining Man Utd. You said no cause the online fans would never accept an English manager.

I was just pointing out an English manager has done feck all in the game so what does it matter

Then you went into this black angle

city-puma

It's incredible the football he has them playing.

True we're rubbish, but still... He's a top top manager
He is definitely great manager but this is his fourth season with them. He just stuck to his concept and developed his team even though his team endured very long periods without win for several times. All need time.

BlueHaze

Unfortunately, people like you would have a problem with black managers for the same reason.
Really pathetic here. Incredibly low just randomly labelling people as racist like that and even funnier reading down below the person you wrote this to was actually black.... Who would have thought, not everyone behind a screen is white?