Graham Potter | Apparently in "serious" talks with Ajax

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If I was Palace, I would be looking at him. Don’t get me wrong.

But people go too far the other way. He couldn’t score goals and he proved that wasn’t a one off at Chelsea. His faults are something a club like Palace can afford to punt on.

He isn’t good enough for Manchester United. Looking at his managerial history, even with nuance and context is just a further of example of how far standards are dropping. He shouldn’t even be on a shortlist. It’s comical.

That’s without even looking at how dour he is and his complete lack of charisma. It’s just a terrible fit with literally nothing concrete in the pros column.
Yeah I'm not saying United should go for him. I think it's an awful match both for Potter and for United. I just took exception to the way you described his time at Brighton. I can see where you are coming from with everything else you're saying here.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
But you are downplaying his work at Brighton if you say it is largely down to their ownership and scouting system. Why is De Zerbi getting so many plaudits then? It's still the same ownership and scouting system as when Potter was there.
Exactly!

You could put any manager in place and you’ll get similar results.

It’s the structure which helps it work, it’s not solely down to the manager

Kaos

But you are downplaying his work at Brighton if you say it is largely down to their ownership and scouting system. Why is De Zerbi getting so many plaudits then? It's still the same ownership and scouting system as when Potter was there.
I suspect because he's taken Brighton a step above, and this is despite the team being constantly dismantled by bigger clubs. But again I'd also say that's a testament to the ownership and the structure they have in place.

Neither Potter nor De Zerbi would enjoy similar levels of improvement at United considering our current structure.

Redstain

It's also a ridiculous rhetoric that's used in defense of Erik, as if structure enhances a managers individual capabilities.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
It's also a ridiculous rhetoric that's used in defense of Erik, as if structure enhances a managers individual capabilities.
Potter is clearly a proven failure at a big club. If it's low tier sources claiming he's a candidate then we can be reasonably assured it's going to be BS.

RedUnited86

No sane supporter who has been watching us the last 12 months can seriously think we'd be any worse off under Potter/Ashworth than what we currently are.

Half way through the season and our GD is - 5 FFS!

#Potter #TheChosenOne

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
I would not go with Potter even if United played quidditch rather than footy

Reiver

If Potter's success was largely down to Brighton's setup then surely the same can be said of De Zerbi?
People complain about us potentially going for a "flavour of the month" manager. Nobody fits that description better than De Zerbi in my opinion.

I'm not saying I want Potter or don't want De Zerbi as manager of United but there's a big double standard going on.

Is Potter written off as a manager of a big club just because of Chelsea? The only club anywhere near us in how badly they are run.

RedDevil@84

No sane supporter who has been watching us the last 12 months can seriously think we'd be any worse off under Potter/Ashworth than what we currently are.

Half way through the season and our GD is - 5 FFS!

#Potter #TheChosenOne
No sane supporter will go for Potter, unless they work in English media and feel the need to bat for English managers.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Same as my verdict on De Zerbi and Howe: if the idea is to simply replace ETH with him under the same structure: forget it, it's utterly pointless.

If the idea is to bring him in as a coach under a new structure (where his position would be that of a head coach with limited input on transfers and so forth), sure - why not. We have to start somewhere, his resume ain't bad, his teams have played decent football, etc.

RedDevil@84

Is Potter written off as a manager of a big club just because of Chelsea? The only club anywhere near us in how badly they are run.
ETH does well at Ajax -> Hired at United -> United badly run -> ETH deemed not good enough -> Sacked (Hypothetically)
Potter does well at Brighton -> Hired at Chelsea ->Chelsea badly run -> Potter deemed not good enough -> Sacked

Seems very similar story. So I don't see how Potter is now a genius who deserves to be hired.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Do people ever learn.

There is nothing at all convincing about Antonio Conte. Dreadful football, signs retirees and has blown up at every club he's been at.
Conte's still better equipped to take over a big club than Graham Potter. Even if you couldn't get Flick or Zizou. Conte won the title at Chelsea, Potter won a few games.

JustAGuest

If Potter's success was largely down to Brighton's setup then surely the same can be said of De Zerbi?
People complain about us potentially going for a "flavour of the month" manager. Nobody fits that description better than De Zerbi in my opinion.

I'm not saying I want Potter or don't want De Zerbi as manager of United but there's a big double standard going on.

I guess he's heavily written off because of his time at Chelsea which is understandable given the results.

For some reason his work at Brighton is downplayed by many. He took over a side that had narrowly escaped relegation managed by Hughton and completely changed the style of football. He improved the team every season and got them their best ever finish at the time.

AneRu

Same as my verdict on De Zerbi and Howe: if the idea is to simply replace ETH with him under the same structure: forget it, it's utterly pointless.

If the idea is to bring him in as a coach under a new structure (where his position would be that of a head coach with limited input on transfers and so forth), sure - why not. We have to start somewhere, his resume ain't bad, his teams have played decent football, etc.
This, I havey reservations due to his failure at Chelsea but we are on a rebuild and won't be competing for big trophies anytime soon so maybe in a zero pressure situation he will be okay. He wouldn't be the first name on my list of candidates but bar Ole and Moyes, we have gotten every manager we have ever clamoured for and they failed spectacularly here.

With time and the young players we have coming up plus some we will sign I can see him establishing possession football here and at the very least laying foundations for the next guy to do well if he doesn't himself.

Ghirahim

I would go for Zidane but I think he has stated that he wouldn't like to manage United.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I suspect because he's taken Brighton a step above, and this is despite the team being constantly dismantled by bigger clubs. But again I'd also say that's a testament to the ownership and the structure they have in place.

Neither Potter nor De Zerbi would enjoy similar levels of improvement at United considering our current structure.
One could argue the step up Brighton made under Potter is bigger than the step up they've made since Potter left.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
This, I havey reservations due to his failure at Chelsea but we are on a rebuild and won't be competing for big trophies anytime soon so maybe in a zero pressure situation he will be okay. He wouldn't be the first name on my list of candidates but bar Ole and Moyes, we have gotten every manager we have ever clamoured for and they failed spectacularly here.

With time and the young players we have coming up plus some we will sign I can see him establishing possession football here and at the very least laying foundations for the next guy to do well if he doesn't himself.
When is the job of Man Utd coach ever a zero pressure situation?

United is still the most covered, most talked about job in English football. If he comes in and finishes 15th nobody will say: 'Oh well, United haven't won anything lately so it's to be expected.'

The boos will be ringing out from the terraces and the football media, both in England and abroad, will be in absolute frenzy.

As much as he likes Potter, Sir Jim isn't investing for the sake of United being a midtable team. The pressure to get results exists from day one at Man Utd. You can't just be midtable for a bit with the excuse that you're making progress towards something. That's not how Sir Jim has run any of his businesses, sport or otherwise. He might not expect Potter to win the Premier League straight away but its not going to be a zero pressure situation.

Woziak

Even at Brighton, he wasn’t overly impressive, scraping away from relegation 2/3 seasons and never scoring any goals.

His stint at Chelsea and his lack of charisma are more than enough evidence that it would be a disaster here.

Standards have dropped, but it’s still a massive club. The fact he did just ok at Brighton, “the best run club in the country” is actually a mark against him! He certainly won’t have that comfort here and when he did have it, he was average at best.

It would be an absolute disaster of an appointment.
Totally agree, yet I still believe he wouldn’t lose 50% of games like ETH and allow teams like Luton to outscore us in the EPL!

Redstain

Totally agree, yet I still believe he wouldn’t lose 50% of games like ETH and allow teams like Luton to outscore us in the EPL!
I agree I would take De Ziribi over both but it's important to evaluate Brighton as a team more than results at that time they were combative against the top six, they played good football under Potter and punched above their weight in his last season given the clubs spend and resources.

If it's good enough to qualify a United manager is another question, but the reality is that the standards of Eth this season is so depleted that he offers nothing moving forward. The manager by his own admission is not looking to resemble anything he did at Ajax so critically we cannot take his time at Ajax under any consideration with regards to retaining his current job. It's on this very basis of why the club would look at alternatives in the first place, it's to replace the dangerously low standard the present manager has established.

I personally would prefer another candidate without any considerable doubt but Eth to Potter is not a total landslide when factoring in this season.

Jev

I’m surprised people are so against him based on six months at Chelsea. Especially seeing as his Chelsea team mostly played reasonably well but were incredibly unlucky/wasteful. I still think he’s an exciting manager.

Woziak

I agree I would take De Ziribi over both but it's important to evaluate Brighton as a team more than results at that time they were combative against the top six, they played good football under Potter and punched above their weight in his last season given the clubs spend and resources.

If it's good enough to qualify a United manager is another question, but the reality is that the standards of Eth this season is so depleted that he offers nothing moving forward. The manager by his own admission is not looking to resemble anything he did at Ajax so critically we cannot take his time at Ajax under any consideration with regards to retaining his current job. It's on this very basis of why the club would look at alternatives in the first place, it's to replace the dangerously low standard the present manager has established.

I personally would prefer another candidate without any considerable doubt but Eth to Potter is not a total landslide when factoring in this season.
De Zerbie is the obvious candidate and has a definite way of playing football

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
I watch many different teams; mostly Manchester United, who I happen to support.

As to your other question, I haven't seen anybody showing Ten Hag anything that could be called 'constant love' by any reasonable person.

Judging by the rest of your post, I believe I can save us all some time: I could point to his credentials elsewhere, his performance last season, the litany of issues he's dealt with, and the nature of the club.

You'll then cry "no excuses" or some such, committing a fallacy of equivocation because you fail to see the difference between reasons and excuses. You'll probably then argue that any previous achievements weren't really achievements at all, but just the result of a collective mass delusion that only you and a handful of others were wise enough to see through. I imagine you will also throw in some condescending loaded questions and needlessly emotionally charged language in a misguided attempt to make your own opinion seem so obvious that anyone who doesn't share it must be blind, stupid, or both.

I'll politely ignore your tone and set about providing examples that undermine the vaguely salient points you do manage to make. This will annoy and anger you, making you more and more polemic in your responses.

Eventually, simply typing messages on an internet forum won't be enough. The thrill of knowing that what you believe is gospel will drive you to do something more. Something that makes a real difference.

So you get in your car and you drive. You drive until that gnawing feeling that other points of view exist consumes you. Until the importance of your own undeniable absolute truth inflates to fill the void tha has formed in the absence of what was once your own capacity for reason. Maybe you take a ferry? Maybe you take a plane?

It doesn't matter, because ultimately there was only one place your story could end, and one thing you could do to end it.

Enjoy your day, my friend.
Is this a copypasta ? Great post :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fr. Todd Unctious

Truly amazing to see lads readily jumping on the Potter bandwagon. I've had texts from Dipper mates enthusiastically supporting Potter getting it.

Potter would absolutely be one who Dipper fans would put into OT if they could

RVN1991

I’m surprised people are so against him based on six months at Chelsea. Especially seeing as his Chelsea team mostly played reasonably well but were incredibly unlucky/wasteful. I still think he’s an exciting manager.
I'm weary of his apparent lack of personality but I still think in a decade or so he'll be seen how someone like Moyes is seen now, as a very good manager who was probably never quite charismatic enough to manage an elite side.

tenhagsimp

Would Sir Alex Ferguson want a team to manage to get his mind off things?
Am I crazy and delusional for believing if SAF decide to come back now he will still able to compete with modern football ? Maybe not instantly but give him one or two years and he will whip us up into title challenger.

OleGunnar20

I'd be very, very wary of any manager or player from that Brighton setup. Potter as many have said would be a disaster, no doubt about it. De Zerbi I'm also not sold on yet, despite many falling over him earlier in the season.

If we had to pickup someone from the PL I'd quite like Iraola on current evidence. He's got Bournemouth playing some exciting stuff.

I'm sure there are better candidates out there though. Let's get us a DOF with half a clue first things first ey.

AneRu

When is the job of Man Utd coach ever a zero pressure situation?

United is still the most covered, most talked about job in English football. If he comes in and finishes 15th nobody will say: 'Oh well, United haven't won anything lately so it's to be expected.'

The boos will be ringing out from the terraces and the football media, both in England and abroad, will be in absolute frenzy.

As much as he likes Potter, Sir Jim isn't investing for the sake of United being a midtable team. The pressure to get results exists from day one at Man Utd. You can't just be midtable for a bit with the excuse that you're making progress towards something. That's not how Sir Jim has run any of his businesses, sport or otherwise. He might not expect Potter to win the Premier League straight away but its not going to be a zero pressure situation.
Even at our worst we have never been out of the top 8 so I don't get where you are getting the 15th place finish from even hypothetically. What I am say is that the next manager whoever he is, won't be under pressure to challenge Klopp and Pep from the get go and that might allow a coach like Potter time to establish a possession based side.

It's obvious that there is a standard that he must reach to survive but not having to crack the top three in the first two seasons is what I am terming a zero pressure situation.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I'd be very, very wary of any manager or player from that Brighton setup. Potter as many have said would be a disaster, no doubt about it. De Zerbi I'm also not sold on yet, despite many falling over him earlier in the season.

If we had to pickup someone from the PL I'd quite like Iraola on current evidence. He's got Bournemouth playing some exciting stuff.

I'm sure there are better candidates out there though. Let's get us a DOF with half a clue first things first ey.
It has gone under the radar a bit, but Bournemouth are also applying a new modus operandi under their new ownership with a focus on a new style and an overarching strategy. Iraola is part of it, like Potter or De Zerbi at Brighton, he's not doing it all by himself. Plus, the American investment group that bought the club seem willing to address any issues and push their vision without pointless dithering. Their manager of choice at the helm and 15 new signings in their first 12 months at the club. The newest rumours around United is that we're offering extensions to everyone. Which is a far cry from Brailsford's recent interview in which he praised SAF for being decisive and acting on the spot when the situation demanded of him to do so. Just bringing a new guy in and throwing him in the deep end rarely works nowadays. Looking at INEOS' history at Nice, my main gripe with appointing Potter is that he looks like the "trust us, we know what we're doing" choice of someone who got burnt with the "safe" choice (Favre) first and now thinks he's more clever than he actually is because the "out of the box" choice (Farioli) has had a good first six-month period in the office. We'll see.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Potter has a weirdly complicated system that needs time to put in correctly, and players that fit the fluid concepts he employs.

Everyone probably told Chelsea this … and they were probably like “yeah yeah, sure”.

Then they bought even more new players to overfill an already unconnected group … players were often in completely wrong positions. It looked like a circus… and when it came time for that “patience” it was “we’ve given him a whole few months!! What do you want from us?”

I think he would run into similar issues at United.