Graham Potter | Apparently in "serious" talks with Ajax

TheReligion

Abusive
What does this mean, "a proper process with multiple candidates"?
What it says.

It would appear you’ve just randomly picked Potter, given him what he wants and left it at that. Another rush job.

A proper process would entail drawing up a shortlist of managers, holding interviews, listening to their ideas and philosophy (short, medium and long term) then making an informed decision on the best fit for the club.

LARulz

Wrong. Win win for him.

If he fails it wont hurt his stock. If he succeeds it'll do his stock tremendously.

Plus the money is presumably good.
Yeah exactly. He is probably more than doubling his salary. How many people are turning that down.

Also no guarantee a top job in the Prem comes up again till some point next season, and if those teams want him. Ten Hag, Klopp, Pep and Arteta aren't leaving, nor is Conte unless he has a meltdown. Of course in football a fall of a cliff for the teams could see that change but this is a guaranteed shot at a big club who must be promising him whatever he is asking

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
Really like Potter but what on earth are Chelsea doing?

Not even running a proper process with multiple candidates.

The owners haven’t got a clue.
You keep coming out with this sweeping statement when you have absolutely no clue ( nor do I ) what process has been gone through.

mu4c_20le

Wrong. Win win for him.

If he fails it wont hurt his stock. If he succeeds it'll do his stock tremendously.

Plus the money is presumably good.
Why won't it hurt his stock :confused: maybe not in here, where many are obsessed with him. Of course it will hurt his stock, he'll have to rebuild himself again.

TheReligion

Abusive
You keep coming out with this sweeping statement when you have absolutely no clue ( nor do I ) what process has been gone through.
Who else has been interviewed for the job? You’ve literally hired Potter within 24 hours of sacking Tuchel :lol:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
What it says.

It would appear you’ve just randomly picked Potter, given him what he wants and left it at that. Another rush job.

A proper process would entail drawing up a shortlist of managers, holding interviews, listening to their ideas and philosophy (short, medium and long term) then making an informed decision on the best fit for the club.
Randomly picked Potter? Nothing to do with him being one of the most well thought of young coaches in Europe then, just random, perhaps a name out of a hat.

And multiple job interviews for a football manager? I guess we should've put it up on Monster.com and read through the applicants covering letters as well. Made him do a few role play sessions on half time team talks. In reality, a club picks a guy, meets with him and if they like what they see, offers the job. It's what's happened here and always happens at every other club almost every time.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Be interesting to see who Brighton get as there manager and how well they do. It’s a shame because they was doing great under potter. There settled in a 3 at the back system. Wonder if they choose a manager that will carry on that style.

Reynoldo

Why won't it hurt his stock :confused: maybe not in here, where many are obsessed with him. Of course it will hurt his stock, he'll have to rebuild himself again.
Yes but he would be doing it from a higher bar after being moved up to the top shelf now. For example if it comes to the situation where the owners overreact again and dont give him enough time then would his stock really be that damaged and could someone like Spurs for instance still come in for him in this case?

TheReligion

Abusive
Randomly picked Potter? Nothing to do with him being one of the most well thought of young coaches in Europe then, just random, perhaps a name out of a hat.

And multiple job interviews for a football manager? I guess we should've put it up on Monster.com and read through the applicants covering letters as well. Made him do a few role play sessions on half time team talks. In reality, a club picks a guy, meets with him and if they like what they see, offers the job. It's what's happened here and always happens at every other club almost every time.
I think the last bit of what you posted highlights how out of touch you are tbh.

Understandable though given how you are used to Chelsea operating.

mu4c_20le

Yes but he would be doing it from a higher bar after being moved up to the top shelf now. For example if it comes to the situation where the owners overreact again and dont give him enough time then would his stock really be that damaged and could someone like Spurs for instance still come in for him in this case?
That is assuming they treat him like an interim and let him go for failing to reach top 4 this season. The most optimistic way of looking at it, but what if he doesn't get a tune out of the players? Every result will be scrutinized, every point dropped questioned.

I think rodgers did a much better job with Leicester than he did with Brighton, and his stock has plummeted.

TheReligion

Abusive
Out of touch? Who else did Man United interview before Ten Hag was appointed? Genuine question, I don't know.
United’s process was quite detailed. This is why they brought an interim in.

There were several rounds of interviews in total and the final two candidates were Ten Hag and Poch. The Telegraph reported there was a third candidate however they were not disclosed.

The initial shortlist contained Luis Enrique and Lopetigui too.

SER19

He'll be gone inside 2 years. Can see his temptation but looks on verge of great season with Brighton then go somewhere he can get a summer and pre season

stu_1992

Surrised Chelsea went this road, I figured the new owners would want a bigger name and a bit more of a guarantee than Potter. Think he's a very good manager though tbf, but I'll be interested to see what sort of instant impact he can have. We've yet to see that from him.

redcucumber

That's what I thought.
That's not right, though. It was definitely a fairly protracted process at United. I'm not saying that's standard across football, but it was definitely the case between the period of time that Ole was sacked to now.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
This is a big risk for Chelsea to take in my opinion. An ideal road for Potter to have taken this job would have involved taking a team like Leicester and doing what Rodgers did in his first two full seasons there.

This seems like a big leap for someone who has not won English silverware, never been to an English final, never dealt with high profile players, never had this level of expectations and hasn’t really dealt with European football for a while.

I wish him all the best since he seems like a nice guy and he’s had a great managerial road so far. I can appreciate a man who has left the UK to build his career up abroad like he did.
Wanted him for years, when he was still an unknown, relatively speaking, and our stock higher. Guess we're stuck with Brodgers.

Mike Smalling

Really interested to see how this will go. Chelsea have recently hired managers that either had lots of managerial experience at the highest level (Conte, Sarri, Benitez, Tuchel, Mourinho, Hiddink, Ancelotti), or a legendary status at the club (Lampard, Di Matteo). These types of managers typically have the respect of the dressing room from day one. The one real exception to this was Villas-Boas, who on the face of it was more of a risk, and it didn't turn out too well.

If I was a Chelsea fan, I would be concerned if Potter can gain the respect of the squad, while adapting to the new levels of expectations. As well as he has done with Brighton, he still only has a win-rate of about 1 in 3.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Gutted to see him go, but it seems this might be a good fit.

If Boelhy runs Chelsea anything like he runs the LA Dodgers, then this fits his profile of bringing in a young up and coming coach and giving him time and money.

This doesn’t seem to be the Abramovic Chelsea anymore despite Tuchel’s sacking.

If that’s the case, and it’ll be interesting to see how long the contract is, then I’d back Potter to do really well.

Anyway feck Potter Kjetil Knutsen is where it is at now!

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Really interested to see how this will go. Chelsea have recently hired managers that either had lots of managerial experience at the highest level (Conte, Sarri, Benitez, Tuchel, Mourinho, Hiddink, Ancelotti), or a legendary status at the club (Lampard, Di Matteo). These types of managers typically have the respect of the dressing room from day one. The one real exception to this was Villas-Boas, who on the face of it was more of a risk, and it didn't turn out too well.

If I was a Chelsea fan, I would be concerned if Potter can gain the respect of the squad, while adapting to the new levels of expectations. As well as he has done with Brighton, he still only has a win-rate of about 1 in 3.
Who exactly is this dressing room stars. Silva and Azpi are the 2 senior most and they aren't the kind who would stir things up.

Blood Mage

Brilliant appointment by Chelsea unfortunately. Potter is honestly one of the best tacticians in the league. I almost feel sorry for Brighton but then I remember the stick their dickhead fans were giving us after the last two games against them.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
He'll be gone inside 2 years. Can see his temptation but looks on verge of great season with Brighton then go somewhere he can get a summer and pre season
You don't turn down the huge jobs when they come along. You could then end up having a couple of rocky seasons at your current club (perhaps even for reasons outside your control) and the big job never comes around again.

Mike Smalling

Who exactly is this dressing room stars. Silva and Azpi are the 2 senior most and they aren't the kind who would stir things up.
Aubameyang? Sterling? Kovacic? Not exactly sure. But it doesn't have to be a room full of divas for it to be important to gain the respect of the squad.

whitbyviking

Does the Chelsea squad fit with Potter’s system? Be a real baptism of fire walking into that. Wonder how many players downed tools vs how many are annoyed they kicked out the manager.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
You imagine Potter will be given the rest of the season but if they don't cstart next season we'll he'll be gone.

OleGunnar20

Agreed, just look at what happened with Eddie Howe who's only now starting to rebuild his reputation.

For what its worth I think he'll do well enough to keep moving in the right direction. He's shown he's got a lot about him as a manager and I think he'll suit the Chelsea squad well.

Seems innevitable that player power will take him down as always happens with that club. But I don't think he'll have trouble getting good jobs afterwards (neither will Tuchel, who I still rate as a great manager personally).

BorisManUtd

Gutted to see him go, but it seems this might be a good fit.

If Boelhy runs Chelsea anything like he runs the LA Dodgers, then this fits his profile of bringing in a young up and coming coach and giving him time and money.

This doesn’t seem to be the Abramovic Chelsea anymore despite Tuchel’s sacking.

If that’s the case, and it’ll be interesting to see how long the contract is, then I’d back Potter to do really well.

Anyway feck Potter Kjetil Knutsen is where it is at now!
Yeah, this is one reason for Chelsea fans to be optimistic. Think Tuchel's sacking doesn't have to mean much as he was Roman's choice anyways.

TheReligion

Abusive
You don't turn down the huge jobs when they come along. You could then end up having a couple of rocky seasons at your current club (perhaps even for reasons outside your control) and the big job never comes around again.
Yeah agreed. It will be financially massive for him too.