Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Who cares what they do. Chelsea are finished as a top club, anyway, the forced sale sealed their fate. They'll slowly drift into irrelevance and they won't be missed.
Aw bless you. Your city. Your stadium. Our trophy. Still stings huh?

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Nagelsmann was actual who I thought of, and Hansi Flick perhaps.
Wasn't Flick already confirmed to be staying with the Germany NT till the next Euros?

Who cares what they do. Chelsea are finished as a top club, anyway, the forced sale sealed their fate. They'll slowly drift into irrelevance and they won't be missed.
Ah, a Bayern fan still hurt over 2012?

"Unsere stadt, unser stadion, unser pokal" :drool:

EDIT: Ah shit, @WeePat beat me to it.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
You really think you’ll be able to muscle your way back into the top 4 next season if you miss out this season?

A manager with zero experience of mixing it in the top 4 with the teams and managers that will finish there, all of which will strengthen in the summer also, from a stronger vantage point of offering CL football.

You’ve only got to look at United’s last 10 years to realise it’s a very, very dangerous game to back a manager who just simply doesn’t have the experience at this level.
In many ways you're a pretty poor example as if my memory serves me correct you've never missed out two years in a row.

For me it will depend on James, Chilwell and (if we sign him) Enzo(*). Those three fit for most of the season and I think we get top four regardless of who's incharge

(*) for the avoidance of being asked why I've named him, from everything I've seen and researched he's a Kante/Hazard level gamechanger in my eyes if we can get him (still an if until he's holding the shirt).

However the new format is starting in 2024, so unless something ridiculous happens like City and Real also failing to qualify through the league we should get back in quick.

Last edited:

crossy1686

career ending
In many ways you're a pretty poor example as if my memory serves me correct you've never missed out two years in a row.

For me it will depend on James, Chilwell and (if we sign him) Enzo(*). Those three fit for most of the season and I think we get top four regardless of who's incharge

(*) for the avoidance of being asked why I've named him, from everything I've seen and researched he's a Kante/Hazard level gamechanger in my eyes if we can get him (still an if until he's holding the shirt).

However the new format is starting in 2024, so unless something ridiculous happens like City and Real also failing to qualify through the league
We've been lucky in the sense that we've always been able to spend big even when other teams couldn't so players like Di Maria etc were always an option. We were also lucky that Arsenal went to shit, which gave Liverpool and Spurs the chance to muscle into the top 4, now you can throw Newcastle into that mix also. I'm sure you've also noticed that we've been light years off a PL for 10 years and that's what happens when you give great, organised teams time to pull away from yourselves.

I think Chelsea will always be there or thereabouts in the coming years but it could also go very wrong if bad decisions are made regarding the manager and giving people with no experience or track record time to make things worse.

SAFMUTD

Next three league games are against City, Fulham and Palace.

First game is a write off and reckon he is fired if they lose points against either Fulham and Palace.
They won't sack him. Not this soon, it would look awful to sack 2 managers in such a short period.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
For me, Potter has a free hit this season.

January and summer transfer window, plenty of time to work with the players and implement his own style.

Next season really is his moment as Chelsea manager.
Surely you'd expect some significant improvement in the second half of this season, especially with Fernandez and Badiashile in?

This team was easily the third best in the PL last season and the owner just spent over 500m euro on new players. I can't fathom the idea that the manager of that kind of squad should just get a free pass until next August and shouldn't be expected to start picking up results or at least playing better football.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Surely you'd expect some significant improvement in the second half of this season, especially with Fernandez and Badiashile in?

This team was easily the third best in the PL last season and the owner just spent over 500m euro on new players. I can't fathom the idea that the manager of that kind of squad should just get a free pass until next August and shouldn't be expected to start picking up results or at least playing better football.
You say that as if he spent all those millions on top of last season squad. We lost at least £200m worth of players, if not more plus we’ve barely been able to make use of Chilwell, James and Kante, 3 of our most important players. I do agree with you though, the base level performance has to improve. There has to be something to hang our hats on to say ‘I see where this is going’.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
You say that as if he spent all those millions on top of last season squad. We lost at least £200m worth of players, if not more plus we’ve barely been able to make use of Chilwell, James and Kante, 3 of our most important players. I do agree with you though, the base level performance has to improve. There has to be something to hang our hats on to say ‘I see where this is going’.
Yeah, that latter sentence is all I'm really saying. Obviously Potter entered a difficult situation mid-season with a big rebuild underway and some unfortunate injuries and you can't expect miracles in that context. But I would expect an upward trajectory in terms of both results and performances over the course of the year. I wouldn't lay down any requirements like "top four or bust" but as a Chelsea fan I would be concerned if by March-April the team wasn't consistently playing better stuff than what we've been seeing recently.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, that latter sentence is all I'm really saying. Obviously Potter entered a difficult situation mid-season with a big rebuild underway and some unfortunate injuries and you can't expect miracles in that context. But I would expect an upward trajectory in terms of both results and performances over the course of the year. I wouldn't lay down any requirements like "top four or bust" but as a Chelsea fan I would be concerned if by March-April the team wasn't consistently playing better stuff than what we've been seeing recently.
Ehhh I don’t know. A lot of people have short memories on here. United last season were worse than us this season. We literally cannot score because our forwards are shite and the team as a whole isn’t putting in the numbers of goals they were last season. This isn’t a new thing, it’s an ongoing issue that started under Tuchel, made worse by Tuchel and Potter is in the receiving end.

It’s going to take a couple of years to have the personnel in place to challenge again but we will come back. I believe they’ll persist with Potter in charge while the background pieces are being put into place but certainly from my perspective, it’s pleasing to see an aggressive approach to the market and young talent.

The summer was an expensive but necessary graft to fill the wholes in the squad. In hindsight, the wrong players were purchased but they were available and we needed to make the deals. The future has already begun and the reason so many fans are enjoying our current position is simply because they’re scared of the potential success of the project. I say that as again, we could look back in hindsight but the wheels are definitely in motion.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t really disagree with that to be honest. It was just the ‘third best squad last season and then spent more millions’ but I was trying to correct/add context to.

Shinjch

Do we know if he has a big say in any of the signings now?

As I still see no plan with the recruitment that is going on at that club. Still reeks of Boehly wanting to throw money away for some reason.

Newtonius

My god can you imagine how much shit United would be getting if they had spent all this money and were in 9th playing like this, especially if Ole wasn't in charge and under media protection.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He's getting the sack sooner than we think. The team seems to get worst week after week, can't see him keep his place.

romufc

My god can you imagine how much shit United would be getting if they had spent all this money and were in 8th playing like this, especially if Ole wasn't in charge and under media protection.
Chelsea dont get this because there is no real attention at Chelsea. Manutd get this sort of attention because of the size of the club.

I find it weird you mentioning Ole when last season when we had our worst run, there was alot of media criticism towards Ole, from alot of people. This idea that Ole was protected is somewhat bizzare. I dont remember Carragher protecting Ole, or other non Manutd pundits.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
My god can you imagine how much shit United would be getting if they had spent all this money and were in 9th playing like this, especially if Ole wasn't in charge and under media protection.
Chelsea are irrelevant compared to United. Nobody really cares about them.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I would say you're getting quite a lot of protection this season.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Ehhh I don’t know. A lot of people have short memories on here. United last season were worse than us this season. We literally cannot score because our forwards are shite and the team as a whole isn’t putting in the numbers of goals they were last season. This isn’t a new thing, it’s an ongoing issue that started under Tuchel, made worse by Tuchel and Potter is in the receiving end.

It’s going to take a couple of years to have the personnel in place to challenge again but we will come back. I believe they’ll persist with Potter in charge while the background pieces are being put into place but certainly from my perspective, it’s pleasing to see an aggressive approach to the market and young talent.

The summer was an expensive but necessary graft to fill the wholes in the squad. In hindsight, the wrong players were purchased but they were available and we needed to make the deals. The future has already begun and the reason so many fans are enjoying our current position is simply because they’re scared of the potential success of the project. I say that as again, we could look back in hindsight but the wheels are definitely in motion.
Am I crazy for thinking even when you lot won the CL that it felt like a bit of smoke and mirrors in the final third? Even when Tuchel was doing well there (especially how he initially solidified the defense and coached some fantastic progression play into the side), I never felt like Chelsea was that dangerous in the final third. It more seemed like a team that was a pain to score on and play against, and they'd graft their way to a couple of goals from defenders and that would be that.

That always seemed like the biggest failure from Tuchel, in that he failed in the recruitment of a more dangerous forward line, and now that the defense and midfield started to wear down Chelsea is seeing the effects of that.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Could you imagine Chelsea going five years without winning a trophy? Yeah, me neither.
Yeah I probably could

New owners buying all the players, sacking managers quicker than Roman did.

Who would really want to go there IF they sack Potter?

You could possibly say that the owner is just buying whoever anyone else wants and the journo's are picking up on it too:

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Do we know if he has a big say in any of the signings now?

As I still see no plan with the recruitment that is going on at that club. Still reeks of Boehly wanting to throw money away for some reason.
Mis-firing attack -> sign Christopher Nkunku for the summer as a player to provide an immediate impact and Datro Fofana as a developing youngster to keep an eye on for the future. Nkunku was already the club's top attacking target for last summer but since he wasn't available for transfer at that time we ended up going the stop-gap route with Aubameyang who as we all know has not been all that great.

Ageing and stale midfield that's been neglected for years (last one signed was Kovacic in 2018..) -> look to sign one of the most highly rated midfield prospects in the world with Enzo Fernandez and a youngster in Andrey Santos for the future.

Silva finally starting to look his age, Fofana out injured and realizing early the Koulibaly signing has not exactly worked out -> sign Badiashile who's been on the club's radar for a long time now.

Exactly which part of that doesn't make any sense to you? Now I'm not sure how much of a say Potter himself has in these deals but it also certainly isn't Boehly going solo and deciding by himself who to go for.

Tony247

Poor guy. He needs strikers and the club is buying every player under the sun except a striker.

Strootman's Finger

Chelsea never were a top club. There were a pretender for a few years, that is all. I don't anticipate ever seeing them being a consistent contender for anything again. They may manage to sign a few big players for big money and because players like Enzo and Nkunku don't realize what an insignificant club they are, but the continued turmoil, wild owner, changing managers, weird shitty signings, etc eventually decent players will avoid and Chelsea go back to midtable obscurity. A club like United may go through struggles, but we still get world class talent like Casemiro that want to play for us, because of our history, what kind of draw does Chelsea have without purchased success?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Chelsea fans should probably be really worried about what’s happening. If United get sold to the Middle East they will then be in a situation where they can’t compete with City, Newcastle or United money wise. They will be left battling it out with Arsenal Liverpool and Spurs.

cyberman

I would say you're getting quite a lot of protection this season.
How so? We’re a game in hand from 3rd and two wins away from being at least a point behind City?
What have we been protected against?

Castia

They wont drop this amount of money and expect to be sitting mid table he will be gone if it doesn't improve quickly.

City twice and then Liverpool in their next 5 games with Fulham away as well who are above them.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea fans should probably be really worried about what’s happening. If United get sold to the Middle East they will then be in a situation where they can’t compete with City, Newcastle or United money wise. They will be left battling it out with Arsenal Liverpool and Spurs.
Unless Liverpool get their own ME owners and then top would be a closed shop? It’s going to be interesting to see how the ownership situation of those two clubs plays out.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
He was far from crucified. He was shown the door because he had absolutely no control over the dressing room, as evidenced Kepa very publicly refusing to be substituted.
Sarri wasn't really shown the door to begin with, it was merely held open when he himself decided he wanted to jump ship and go to Juventus.

Of course no real effort was put into keeping him at the club either but still a very distinctive difference to being sacked.

phelans shorts

Sarri wasn't really shown the door to begin with, it was merely held open when he himself decided he wanted to jump ship and go to Juventus.

Of course no real effort was put into keeping him at the club either but still a very distinctive difference to being sacked.
I’d include holding the door open for him as showing the door, but that’s up for interpretation as you say.

Shinjch

Mis-firing attack -> sign Christopher Nkunku for the summer as a player to provide an immediate impact and Datro Fofana as a developing youngster to keep an eye on for the future. Nkunku was already the club's top attacking target for last summer but since he wasn't available for transfer at that time we ended up going the stop-gap route with Aubameyang who as we all know has not been all that great.

Ageing and stale midfield that's been neglected for years (last one signed was Kovacic in 2018..) -> look to sign one of the most highly rated midfield prospects in the world with Enzo Fernandez and a youngster in Andrey Santos for the future.

Silva finally starting to look his age, Fofana out injured and realizing early the Koulibaly signing has not exactly worked out -> sign Badiashile who's been on the club's radar for a long time now.

Exactly which part of that doesn't make any sense to you? Now I'm not sure how much of a say Potter himself has in these deals but it also certainly isn't Boehly going solo and deciding by himself who to go for.
Nkunku is not that answer to your attacking woes as far as I can see. He is a good player, but he needs someone to be playing off or around. You need to have that focal point in attack first before signing the likes of Nkunku. Does Nkunku then take Sterling or Mount's place? Both will be on big contracts as well. You will still need a number 9, and without having that main striker I don't think it makes sense to be signing the players that you want to be supplementing him. What do you see the front 3 looking like next season? I don't see the plan.

Fernandez seems a good player to me, and we will see how he does. The fee seems totally mad to me though. Especially considering that you will likely have to sign another midfielder in the summer.

Spending 35 million or whatever it is on Badiashile is mental. Especially when you have Colwill on your books. It has basically just written off his Chelsea career now as he has another player on a big contract in front of him. Everyone knew that Fofana has had injury issues when you signed him for that massive fee and Koulibaly was never going to be a sure thing. Badiashile has been on a lot of clubs radars for a long time, but none have bitten the bullet as he is still raw. We were told that part of why Chelsea spent so much on Cucurella was because of his ability to also play on the left side of a back three too, has this been given up on? I just don't see how the pieces in that squad connect.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
How so? We’re a game in hand from 3rd and two wins away from being at least a point behind City?
What have we been protected against?
I was mainly referring to before your recent run when you were on a negative goal difference and buggered up your Europa group.

He was far from crucified. He was shown the door because he had absolutely no control over the dressing room, as evidenced Kepa very publicly refusing to be substituted.
He was hammered from minute one because he wouldn't play Kante as a lone DM (a position he's never excelled in). He was even critisised for his use of CHO even though he played around 25 times which would have been more had he not got injured, figures well well above the average for a 17/18 year old at a club with huge demands to win.

cyberman

I was mainly referring to before your recent run when you were on a negative goal difference and buggered up your Europa group.

He was hammered from minute one because he wouldn't play Kante as a lone DM (a position he's never excelled in). He was even critisised for his use of CHO even though he played around 25 times which would have been more had he not got injured, figures well well above the average for a 17/18 year old at a club with huge demands to win.
But that negative goal difference was a run when we picked up points v every top team in the league, bar City, in a two month span? And we won all but one European game? Where can you criticise us?
Seems incredibly harsh. Especially when you see the shit we were getting for being mid table last year versus the press you’re getting

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
But that negative goal difference was a run when we picked up points v every top team in the league, bar City, in a two month span? And we won all but one European game? Where can you criticise us?
Seems incredibly harsh. Especially when you see the shit we were getting for being mid table last year versus the press you’re getting
But you are (as many of your fellow fans have taken delight in informing us on this thread) the biggest club in the country.

Imagine the flack Madrid get in the same circumstances.