Grealish or Sancho - Hindsight 20-20

Sylar

Grealish would be a million times better for us then Sancho has been. He's a far, far superior footballer.
I felt us not paying the extra 10 or whatever it was when Ole wanted him and instead getting vdb was a huge mistake. Grealish has linked up well with Shaw for England too

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
C. Ronaldo vs Le Tallec ended up alright for us, I suppose.
Feels like some sort of deal was made with the devil which meant that one went incredibly in your favour but you'd go on to lose all other comparisons for one reason or another.

Idxomer

I felt us not paying the extra 10 or whatever it was when Ole wanted him and instead getting vdb was a huge mistake. Grealish has linked up well with Shaw for England too
Grealish was worth way more than 45m after Villa's survival, he wasn't going for anything less than 70m.

JuriM

These kind of topics are stupid, very different players and offer different things in gameplay.

Pickle85

Grealish would be a million times better for us then Sancho has been. He's a far, far superior footballer.
This season he certainly is. If you took a season where grealish was at villa and Sancho at dortmund I imagine you'd come to a different conclusion. As I said, it does look like Sancho is a busted flush but comparing the two in their respective teams is a bit apples and oranges.
Suggesting we are a dysfunctional team this season isn’t going to wash. We’ve had plenty of players this season who have thrived and are contenders for best players in the league. We have one of the leading scorers in the premier league who’s thriving in this supposed dysfunctional and transitioning team. There’s a point where excuses start running dry for Sancho’s lack of progress. Maybe let’s give him another 2 years I guess.
Who? When you say we have one of the leading scorers in the league, you mean we have the sixth top scorer in the league. This is behind a Brentford cf and a Newcastle cf that's been a bit of a crock to date. I love Marcus but this just proves how dysfunctional we are. We've basically been without a 9 all season. Sancho thrives on being able to assist someone like Haaland. Forgive me for not writing him off just yet.

Sylar

Grealish was worth way more than 45m after Villa's survival, he wasn't going for anything less than 70m.
Hence the whatever it was. Think we should have forked out it out and got grealish in. Vdb made no sense as he was nothing like grealish

Abraxas

Grealish is simply better, no doubt about it. Worth what they paid? Probably not, in fact definitely not - but he's still a very good footballer. He's braver than Sancho, takes the ball, commits defenders. He doesn't produce quite enough but I think he'd have produced a fair amount here because we would have indulged him a lot more than Pep has over the last few seasons.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I wanted him despite his diving antics and slight overrating. But he seems to be a party animal and not the sharpest tool around. Plus I don’t think he would have played equally well here.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Us passing on Grealish (twice!) in favour of Donny and then Sancho is the perfect example of what's wrong with our recruitment strategy.

Most were in favour of those two because they played at a higher level and had impressive stats, overlooking their general play which was always vastly inferior to Grealish's. Grealish was always going to excel in a top team, and, imo, Donny and, to a lesser extent, Sancho were always going to struggle here because they heavily relied on the systems at Ajax and Dortmund to shine. Especially before ten Hag, you needed to be able to handle yourself as an individual because we weren't coached to play as a cohesive, modern attacking team, and they were/are just too weak to do so.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I thought Graelish was class at Villa and would have loved him at Utd, but not for £100m. That doesn’t seem like a bad fee now.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Us passing on Grealish (twice!) in favour of Donny and then Sancho is the perfect example of what's wrong with our recruitment strategy.

Most were in favour of those two because they played at a higher level and had impressive stats, overlooking their general play which was always vastly inferior to Grealish's. Grealish was always going to excel in a top team, and, imo, Donny and, to a lesser extent, Sancho were always going to struggle here because they heavily relied on the systems at Ajax and Dortmund to shine. Especially before ten Hag, you needed to be able to handle yourself as an individual because we weren't coached to play as a cohesive, modern attacking team, and they were/are just too weak to do so.
Really? Paying +100m for him would be a disaster just like with Sancho

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Grealish still not good enough anyway. Silva is the superior playmaker.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
These kind of topics are stupid, very different players and offer different things in gameplay.
Yep.
And overlook our tendency to utterly kill previous world beating looking players.

Haaland for 4m sounds mad, but if we'd bought him at that time he'd probably now be playing at Osasuna or somewhere having been appalling here.

lex talionis

In foresight and in hindsight, Grealish would have been a much better fit for us than Sancho. I haven't given up on Sancho, but I'm just saying that as things stand right now and as they appeared a few years ago, Grealish was the go all in for.

flappyjay

At the time we were looking for a right winger even though it has turned out that Sancho is used more on the left

Josep Dowling

If Sancho went to City and Grealish went to United, Sancho would have ended up being the better player.

ROFLUTION

If Sancho went to City and Grealish went to United, Sancho would have ended up being the better player.
Definitely a better one than now, but also Grealish would be better at United. It might have been very equal.

Overall not that impressed by Grealish at City. Has fitted into their style more this year, but there's still a good way to get to Sterling levels or similar.

ROFLUTION

Always clear that Grealish had a physicality and mentality that Sancho could only dream about.
Mostly just a great mentality when he is the main man, like at Villa. At City he can fade and play slow in his mind at times. Been decent this year, but hardly some great mental player at City yet.

Slowly developing into a better player at City that fits their system more and more though.

markbrennan

wouldn’t agree with that he doesn’t have the work ethic , bravery or physicality not to mention speed . Sancho is probably on of the shitest wingers in prem . Probably should be comparing him to championship wingers .

joedirt87

I think Graelish at United would perform better than Sancho has, but I don't think be anywhere near as good as he has been for City this season. I also think Sancho would be performing a lot better on City.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Grealish to United only made sense before Bruno was signed. Sancho made sense in the idea of playing him on the right and then getting a right back he can work with. Rashford and Bruno have always been the LW and #10s.

cyberman

Either would have worked out the same way for us.
If we had Jack the same posters would be crying about not having the pace to run into space and being too one footed and how he doesn’t take in a man 1 v 1.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Sancho has scored more PL goals than yer world class signing Grealish :lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Sancho has scored more PL goals than yer world class signing Grealish :lol:
Toney, Salah and Wilson have scored more than Rashford but most people on here would say Rashford has had the best season.

bringbackbebe

You only need to watch them both play to see who is the better player, and unfortunately it’s not even close.
Sancho in this City side will look twice the player he currently is. This City team is a perfect example of whole being multiple times greater than the sum of parts. United used to be like that during Fergie, alas.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It's amazing that you can't even joke about opposition players anymore - on Manchester United forum

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Sancho in this City side will look twice the player he currently is. This City team is a perfect example of whole being multiple times greater than the sum of parts. United used to be like that during Fergie, alas.
Got to agree.

Grealish or a Foden in our team right now would be very similar to Sancho.
Capable of the odd moment of brilliance / good game but overall disappointing.

We still are well short of the players required to play the system ETH wants. Sancho will improve if the system improves as he is technically good.

Dan_F

Sancho turned 23 two months ago. Grealish had a full season in the Championship after turning 23, then another two years experience playing for Villa in the Premier League.

It’s almost a bit of a shame the season is ending now as I thought Sancho has looked much better in the last few games. He almost seems better off the right, as on the left it feels like we’re expecting him to be Rashford/Garnacho, beat his man and cut inside to shoot, but that’s just not his game.