Grealish & Sterling

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Every chance Grealish was slightly impaired by being taken out at the knee earlier.

Sterling simply isn't a pen taker. Surprised he stayed on for 120 to be honest.

UnitedRepublic

Say what you want about Sterling but it was a smart move not taking a penalty. We all know about the abuse the Daily Mail and so and so have given him for his pesonal life and all the stereo typical stuff they’ve written about. I fully get why he didn’t want to take a penalty. He would of been the biggest scapegoat of them all whether it was the 1st or 5th penalty he missed.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Say what you want about Sterling but it was a smart move not taking a penalty. We all know about the abuse the Daily Mail and so and so have given him for his pesonal life and all the stereo typical stuff they’ve written about. I fully get why he didn’t want to take a penalty. He would of been the biggest scapegoat of them all whether it was the 1st or 5th penalty he missed.
He's also a fecking shocking penalty taker and Southgate may have told him "No fecking way Raheem, you don't wanna be me.".

Kaos

I'm pretty sure they would have been next in line. I honestly don't blame Sterling considering the racist onslaught he would have been subjected to, and Grealish...well he's not taken one in a few seasons? However they shouldn't have let a 19 year old rookie go ahead of them.

Sylar

Id like to know what position philips would have gone because it looks like he put his hand up quickly in the huddle.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It was Southgate's call and imo, the right call.
Sterling's technique when striking the ball is very inconsistent and why he misses so many sitters. Grealish has never taken a pen in his snr career.

dinostar77

If sterling was never gonna take a pen then why leave him on the pitch? could have brought on DCL instead.

Something seriously amiss with Southgate and his team allowing a inexperienced 19 year old to take the 5th penalty. Should have kept henderson on for that one.

Skills

Snitch
Grealish maybe, but Sterling feck no.

He should've taken Sterling off instead of Walker. I reckon Walker can belt one in a corner

Sylar

Sterling's technique when striking the ball is very inconsistent and why he misses so many sitters. Grealish has never taken a pen in his snr career.
Had saka before yesterday?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I thought he took one in a shootout for Villa?

Giggsyking

He is a coward if he denied to take the 5th penalty. Credit to the brave who stepped up. Sancho, Saka and Rashford. I really like Sterling, but should have taken at least the 5th penalty.

Southgate has said he made the decision on the penalty takers, not the players. He alone thought it was a good idea to let our centre back and 3 kids step up in the biggest game any of them will likely ever play.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Southgate has said he made the decision on the penalty takers, not the players. He alone thought it was a good idea to let our centre back and 3 kids step up in the biggest game any of them will likely ever play.
He’s a moron.

This is caused by the scars of Euro 96 for him. In his mind he wanted to take all pressure off the players and put the responsibility solely on himself should they miss but that’s not how penalties work.

You shouldn’t be thinking about mitigating the pain should the wrong result happen, you should be mitigating the chance the wrong result happens and to do that you need to ask your players who has the right mindset to take a penalty in that moment and let them take responsibility for their own destiny.

Rio nailed it when he said that until you get to that moment you don’t know if you can do it. Some of the best strikers of the ball and most experienced finishers have to pull out because they can’t get their mindset into that moment. There’s no shame in that, there is more credit in being brave enough to let someone else take one than try to be a hero when your brain is telling you no.

dal

To be honest the way saka has played I fancied him to score, Rashford and Sancho are supremely confident people not a problem with them taking one, the thing is though if it’s Grealish and he scores then saka would be 6th anyway.

We haven’t seen them in training, they may have been on fire, I mean Maguires penalty was fantastic. Rashford should be doing better with his.

At the end of the day, it’s a penalty shootout against a keeper whose never lost a penalty shootout.

We lose the tournament based on a split second penalty, it’s hard to take but let’s have some perspective, we made it further than France and Belgium who arguably have much better starting 11’s.

Let’s not beat them up too much, the boys and the manager have a lot to be proud of.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
To be honest the way saka has played I fancied him to score, Rashford and Sancho are supremely confident people not a problem with them taking one, the thing is though if it’s Grealish and he scores then saka would be 6th anyway.

We haven’t seen them in training, they may have been on fire, I mean Maguires penalty was fantastic. Rashford should be doing better with his.

At the end of the day, it’s a penalty shootout against a keeper whose never lost a penalty shootout.

We lose the tournament based on a split second penalty, it’s hard to take but let’s have some perspective, we made it further than France and Belgium who arguably have much better starting 11’s.

Let’s not beat them up too much, the boys and the manager have a lot to be proud of.
Yes, empty handed again. This mentality is endemic in English football culture, just happy to have participated in a semi-final or final, but not ruthless enough to actually win it.

dal

Yes, empty handed again. This mentality is endemic in English football culture, just happy to have participated in a semi-final or final, but not ruthless enough to actually win it.
Endemic, Chelsea just won the champions league, Man City were runners up, both English teams.

Previously we’ve never had a team technically good enough to win it regardless of the golden generation or not and regardless of Sven and Capello.

There’s 3 tournaments in the next 5 years and we need to win one of them, if in 2026 we haven’t won anything then I’ll be disappointed.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Endemic, Chelsea just won the champions league, Man City were runners up, both English teams.

Previously we’ve never had a team technically good enough to win it regardless of the golden generation or not and regardless of Sven and Capello.

There’s 3 tournaments in the next 5 years and we need to win one of them, if in 2026 we haven’t won anything then I’ll be disappointed.
That's club football which is also heavily influenced by foreigners. I mean English national team.

JG3001

Not sure how you get this from last night? I feel for the lad and he should not be taking the blame for a missed penalty, but he was a deer in headlights from the minute he came on.

it was telling that he pulled out of three 50/50 challenges, a couple which would have set up the counter. He should have been taken off again in extra time, if he can do it to Grealish, you wouldn’t think it would be an issue.

I don’t hold the players responsible, but unfortunately my reservations on Southgates passive approach felt vindicated last night. Got his in-game management completely wrong and it wasn’t hindsight to see that we needed the control in the 2nd half, with pace in the latter stretch. Based on how the game actually went, I think people would have said we did all we could had Sancho and Rashford played the full extra time. But now we’re left with what if’s.

United fans had the “benefit” of seeing this style backfire in the Europa final, you can’t play hit n hope counter football for 90/120 minutes and expect an easy night.

shahzy

Yeh people need to back off the players. This loss is entirely on Southgate. He is way too defensive. Italy was there for the taking in the first half after the first goal. When England actually play they are very good but Southgate doesn't allow them because he's scared of conceeding.

Please do not waste this generation like you lot have with every other generation. Get a proper coach. English or otherwise.

dal

That's club football which is also heavily influenced by foreigners. I mean English national team.
Ferdinand, Scholes, Neville, Gerrard, Rooney. Yes, they are definitely happy to lose with a poor mentality.

Judas

Open to offers
To be honest the way he played made me certain he'd miss, even said as much in the match day thread! He didn't look like he got into the game at all, he looked like boy amongst men to me last night. I felt sorry for him stepping up and taking the most important penalty in the countries history, it was mad pressure to put on someone who didn't really settle all game.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Ferdinand, Scholes, Neville, Gerrard, Rooney. Yes, they are definitely happy to lose with a poor mentality.
Couldn't be bothered enough to improve unity among themselves. Yes, poor professionalism indeed. Do you disagree?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
To be honest the way he played made me certain he'd miss, even said as much in the match day thread! He didn't look like he got into the game at all, he looked like boy amongst men to me last night. I felt sorry for him stepping up and taking the most important penalty in the countries history, it was mad pressure to put on someone who didn't really settle all game.
Yep, Saka is a great talent but every knockout game he played to me looked like a deer in headlight. He didn't play well in any of the knockout games and the nerves looked way too much, but especially in the final. He worked hard of course, but everything was sloppy and he couldn't get involved. Was crazy to give him a pen after those nerves.

AgentSmith

Twitter video implying Pickford was the 6th choice for penalties. Bizarre if true.

Ananke

Yep, Saka is a great talent but every knockout game he played to me looked like a deer in headlight. He didn't play well in any of the knockout games and the nerves looked way too much, but especially in the final. He worked hard of course, but everything was sloppy and he couldn't get involved. Was crazy to give him a pen after those nerves.
Agreed he had a look in his face like he was ill when he came on. I'd be bricking it too.

Ixion

Their penalties must have been absolutely shit in training if they're so far down the pecking order

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Heard they were practising penalties since the tournament started, but nothing prepares you for the pressure of the real thing. I recall Ronnie O Sullivan saying one major thing that he has is he can handle pressure in snooker, whereas others cannot.

Rashford nearly pulled it off but it should have just banged it hard into the corner which he can do. That crazy run up you do when you are winning three nil.

Was thinking as well because of the Italian goaly being so good you either have to send the penalties flat or high into the corner. Sancho and Saka both sent them in the middle, which made it easier for him to save them.

Dont know what Southgate was thinking having Saka taking that last penalty. Unless England win the WC next year, he is going to be remembered for eternity.

Numerous pundits saying as well he should have brought Sancho and Rashford on earlier. Might have bettered their chances of scoring.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Their penalties must have been absolutely shit in training if they're so far down the pecking order
Nothing prepares you for the real thing. It is easy to bang them in in training.

Doracle

Twitter video implying Pickford was the 6th choice for penalties. Bizarre if true.
He’s taken the 6th penalty twice for England and lashed them home. The real question is why he wasn’t ahead of Saka! That video is quite amusing though - the pause before Saka looks like Southgate going to one of the back room team and querying the name!

AgentSmith

He’s taken the 6th penalty twice for England and lashed them home. The real question is why he wasn’t ahead of Saka! That video is quite amusing though - the pause before Saka looks like Southgate going to one of the back room team and querying the name!
Fair play! Didn’t realise he’d gone 6th before. Just watched him score the one against Switzerland and you’re right, he absolutely rifles it in. He’s clearly a confident character as well.

Just found it bizarre Grealish wasn’t much higher on the list. Feel like in those moments it’s not necessarily about who’s the best but who has the confidence to not allow the moment to get to them. Grealish seems like exactly that type while Saka and Sancho definitely didn’t.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Why'd he sub off Henderson? Isn't he a very regular taker of pens? And a so called leader who's invaluable for his massive experience. Seemed a bit weird to take him of and have a 9 year old take the last pen.