Greatest 'pre-injury' xi ?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Owen, Adriano, Sturridge and Torres get mention, but no Marco van Basten? C'mon now. The man is mentioned among the greatest ever despite a proper "career" of just about a decade. He scored for fun in the most defensive league in the world, won absolutely everything (barring the WC) that there was to be won (domestic leagues, cups, CL, Euros), including three BdOs in 5 years and was done by 29 with repeated injury blows and - as per most accounts - poor treatment.
Sorry buddy I’m only 22, I was just thinking about players I got to see. Even Woodgate is a stretch.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Perhaps another 2-3 years at his 1996 level places Sammer on par with a Scirea or Passarella, rather than lacking the fullness of CV to be quite in that bracket?
I believe he was getting better and better before the knees went kaput. I do think he would be held in a higher regard than he is if he had been able extend his time performing as he was.

With Sammer, perhaps he was already peaking and I sound like I'm offering up some strong conjecture, but I have always believed this to be the case with him.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
@Fortitude I thought Sammer was out for the same reason as Marco?

@Raees Beattie is a great pick - fits the criteria to a tee.
Beattie was England’s biggest defensive talent in the 70s and reminiscent of Paul McGrath the way he was spoken about by Bobby Robson - called him the best England player he had ever seen. Shankly called him his biggest mistake after they lost him to Ipswich town.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Didn't Sammer retire very quickly once his legs went? I don't think we really got to see him soldier on much as a lesser player. His style was more about being all-action and tremendous box to box workrate(along with his great mentality) rather than the kind of sweeper that relies on having a lot of vision and technique to start plays and shut down attack. I'm not sure he would have lasted too much longer, but a '98 strong world cup showing means he might not have needed to.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Didn't Sammer retire very quickly once his legs went? I don't think we really got to see him soldier on much as a lesser player. His style was more about being all-action and tremendous box to box workrate(along with his great mentality) rather than the kind of sweeper that relies on having a lot of vision and technique to start plays and shut down attack. I'm not sure he would have lasted too much longer, but a '98 strong world cup showing means he might not have needed to.
He certainly wouldn't win any awards for grace and finesse, that's for sure! :lol:

I know I'm going to have to take him out the side because he doesn't fit the criteria. Although... my perspective of a player in the ascension.

Curse you guys! (not really, well spotted! :D )

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
------------------------------------------------------Ronaldo

-----------------------------------------------------Del Piero

Giggs-------------------------------------------------------------------Kaka'

---------------------------------Schuster---------------------Essien

--------------------------------------------------Redondo

------------------------Woodgate-----------------McGrath-------------King

-------------------------------------------------------Cech

Changed.

How are we rating someone like Chivu?

the_irish123

Idk, Ronaldo and Kaka turned out pretty amazing. Ronaldo was still a top 3 player and won the WC. Kaka had issues after he accomplished everything.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
@Fortitude actually I'd put Vladimir Bessonov at right back. Had won both youth Euros and World Cup (also winning the Golden Ball). I'm pretty sure that he would've ended up as one of the historically great fullbacks — but he's had so many injuries! More than 80, including teared leg muscle, fractured cervical vertebrae (nearly paralysed) and 4 knee surgeries. He still achieved lots, but I believe that his ceiling was even higher.

zizi

No mentions of Fletch? good luck getting the ball through this midfield

Hargreaves - Fletcher - Diaby

Kaka

Adriano Ronaldo

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I'm really struggling for FB's, still. I don't know if I've just got a mind block on or if FB's just don't get the same brutal robbery of their abilities that other positions do.
I think the issue with FBs (to a certain degree CBs as well) is how much different the role is and what makes them stand out.

How many really become WC straight off the bat? A Giggs or a Ronaldo will take your breath away aged 17, while a 17 year old fullback lacks the much needed experience, discipline and positional awareness. They may look like exciting prospects but you have absolutely no confidence in them not cocking it up every now and then until well into their 20s. E.g. Lahm, he was in the German NT for years but only really stood out as he came of age.

Take Shaw for instance. How many young fullbacks are better/more promising than he was before his leg break? Arguing whether he would be absolute top class or just a regular fullback is pointless though, you simply don't know, and yet Lahm wasn't really much better at that stage or was he? Evra was a car crash when he arrived!

The likes of Rafael and Fabio were permacrocks. I don't think it had a noticeable impact in their remarkable attributes, but it certainly didn't help them establish themselves and get the regular and steady playing time that would develop what they lacked.

A forward with technique and vision can reinvent himself leveraging them if their pace and agility is lost, while a fullback losing his pace and agility has little else to rely on at that stage so you most likely never get to hear of them again and simply forget them.

I guess the point is raw natural talent can make for a devastating forward while with a fullback raw natural talent means the jury is still out and will be for some time. Different price tag on raw and much harder to redeem yourself from its negative consequences.

Last edited:

MemphisThePie

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Blomqvist - Zlatan - Brolin

Forsberg - H. Larsson

R. Elm

Edman - P. Andersson - M. Svensson - Ljungberg

Hedman

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
@Fortitude actually I'd put Vladimir Bessonov at right back. Had won both youth Euros and World Cup (also winning the Golden Ball). I'm pretty sure that he would've ended up as one of the historically great fullbacks — but he's had so many injuries! More than 80, including teared leg muscle, fractured cervical vertebrae (nearly paralysed) and 4 knee surgeries. He still achieved lots, but I believe that his ceiling was even higher.
Good shout. Didn't even think of him.

Where's your team by the way? :angel:
I think the issue with FBs (to a certain degree CBs as well) is how much different the role is and what makes them stand out.

How many really become WC straight off the bat? A Giggs or a Ronaldo will take your breath away aged 17, while a 17 year old fullback lacks the much needed experience, discipline and positional awareness. They may look like exciting prospects but you have absolutely no confidence in them not cocking it up every now and then until well into their 20s. E.g. Lahm, he was in the German NT for years but only really stood out as he came of age.

Take Shaw for instance. How many young fullbacks are better/more promising than he was before his leg break? Arguing whether he would be absolute top class or just a regular fullback is pointless though, you simply don't know, and yet Lahm wasn't really much better at that stage or was he? Evra was a car crash when he arrived!

The likes of Rafael and Fabio were permacrocks. I don't think it had a noticeable impact in their remarkable attributes, but it certainly didn't help them establish themselves and get the regular and steady playing time that would develop what they lacked.

A forward with technique and vision can reinvent himself leveraging them if their pace and agility is lost, while a fullback losing his pace and agility has little else to rely on at that stage so you most likely never get to hear of them again and simply forget them.

I guess the point is raw natural talent can make for a devastating forward while with a fullback raw natural talent means the jury is still out and will be for some time. Different price tag on raw and much harder to redeem yourself from its negative consequences.
You're spot on, and I guess by the time most FB's are recognised as a person of highest regard, they've already got a massive body of work behind them.

Having said that, I wonder if it's fair to say the majority of prodigious FB's have actually come to term and had outstanding careers? Zanetti, Vogts, Maldini, Facchetti, Cole, Djalma Santos and so and so forth shot out the traps and just maintained until their body's were well past prime.

As stated, one of the ways we truly rate the greatest fb's is longevity, so it does beg the question of how any of the above would be regarded if they had only a few years at the top rather than over a decade in most cases.

Nucks

RT History Department
Hargreaves had an absolutely insane 2006 WC. He went from being "That German-Canadian guy who plays for England" to being "The guy". Then he snapped his leg in half. Then his knees imploded.

Robertd0803

Obviously in a different league to most of the players mentioned in the thread but Cleverly prior to the injury vs Bolton was really really promising and never quite looked the same afterwards.

Werent all our striking hopes pinned on Dion Dublin before the leg break in 92/93?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Pierluigi Casiraghi, I remember being gutted when he signed for Chelsea and thought he'd rip it up, but then he had that horrendous injury (I can't remember if it was a leg break or not) and that was the end of him, I think Chelsea were said to have treated him really badly as well, ending his contract early, he sued them in the end iirc.

GueRed

Obviously in a different league to most of the players mentioned in the thread but Cleverly prior to the injury vs Bolton was really really promising and never quite looked the same afterwards.

Werent all our striking hopes pinned on Dion Dublin before the leg break in 92/93?
Sort of...

Dion Dublin went strength to strength after his leg break. As he later went on to forge a great career in the Premier League with Coventry and VIlla.

Robertd0803

Sort of...

Dion Dublin went strength to strength after his leg break. As he later went on to forge a great career in the Premier League with Coventry and VIlla.
Yeah he converted to a midfielder or defender didnt he?

GueRed

Ronaldo.

Post 1999 he was still a world class striker but before that he was an absolute fecking phenomenon.

Del Piero pre 1998 was amazing too. Wasnt quite the same when he lost that burst of explosiveness.

Number32

Maradona?
Would be undisputed GOAT if he was injury free and no drugs problem.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Random team of players that first came to mind.

Rene Adler
Metzelder King Badstuber
Hargreaves Gundogan S.Bender Reus
Deisler Gotze
Ronaldo