Greatest 'pre-injury' xi ?

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Sebastian Deisler. Biggest german talent of this century so far (ahead or along with Ballack).. Injuries made him suffer from depression and he ended his career far too early.

Holger Badstuber. He was way ahead of the likes of Boateng and Hummels for both Bayern and the german NT.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Giggs surely? Didn't fall off a cliff like others but really had to adjust his game and have a different kind of impact. It is to his credit that he managed to, but one of the first three names that came to mind.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Won't mention players I don't remember or haven't watched, so, i'll stick to injuries, with the exception being Ronaldo as I want him there:
And yes, my team might be a bit shit. I didn't watch Van Basten. I'm not sure if it was injuries that fecked Maicon, but he was better pre-injuries and in his prime could work as a CB (strength wise) and fullback. :p

Was really struggling to think of wingers & fullbacks.

Falcao - Ronaldo
Kaka
Reus- Hargreaves - Essien
Diaby
Badstuber - King - Maicon
Cech​

beergod

Vicente. One of my favourite non utd players ever. He was linked to us at some point. Ridiculous gigsy-esque-dribbling and scored like 14 league goals in a title winning season where Valencia compited again Zidane Ronaldo et al.
After breaking his foot suffered muscle injuries and other problems, couldnt compete with other great left footed players in valencia (david silva, mata, alba who started as a LW) and ended up his career in the championship and retired at 33. I think without injuries he could have been one of the best wingers ever.
Good call. I think Vicente would've been one of the all time greats as he had everything in his locker.

SaboTaj

He would've been on plenty lists had he not been the great player he is as it is. Injuries simply mean he's got less playing time. Hardly an Owen or a Torres etc.
In a way it’s synonymous to Baggio’s situation.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Cech
King D. Edwards K. Beattie
Bale Gascoigne B. Robson Giggs
V. Mazzola
Ronaldo Rooney

Cech
Essien B. Robson
V. Mazzola P. Gascoigne
Bale Ronaldo Del Piero​

Last edited:

midnightmare

Cech
Rafael King Woodgate Vermaelen
Hargreaves Essien
Kaka
Owen Adriano Ronaldo
Honourable mentions to Affelay, Cesc, Torres, Sturridge.
Owen, Adriano, Sturridge and Torres get mention, but no Marco van Basten? C'mon now. The man is mentioned among the greatest ever despite a proper "career" of just about a decade. He scored for fun in the most defensive league in the world, won absolutely everything (barring the WC) that there was to be won (domestic leagues, cups, CL, Euros), including three BdOs in 5 years and was done by 29 with repeated injury blows and - as per most accounts - poor treatment.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Giggs surely? Didn't fall off a cliff like others but really had to adjust his game and have a different kind of impact. It is to his credit that he managed to, but one of the first three names that came to mind.
Where's ya team! :angel:

Cech
Nesta M. Sammer K.Beattie
Bale D. Edwards B. Robson Giggs
V. Mazzola
Ronaldo MVB
Do you think he fits with the OP? Nesta, for my (and a lot of other peoples') money is the best CB of all-time (my first name for a defender in an all-time xi, even over Baresi or Figueroa) capable of dealing with absolutely any type of striker that can be named, even Ronaldo 1on1.

MVB - as stated below.

Owen, Adriano, Sturridge and Torres get mention, but no Marco van Basten? C'mon now. The man is mentioned among the greatest ever despite a proper "career" of just about a decade. He scored for fun in the most defensive league in the world, won absolutely everything (barring the WC) that there was to be won (domestic leagues, cups, CL, Euros), including three BdOs in 5 years and was done by 29 with repeated injury blows and - as per most accounts - poor treatment.
Van Basten is already regarded as arguably the best striker of all time (he's always in the discussion) for the reasons you mention plus his completeness.

The whole idea is for players whose career path went in another direction because of the injuries - so unless you believe he was going to go on to be the best striker of all-time literally outright, he doesn't really fit with the thread as his legacy is set in stone and he will always be in the most elite echelon for strikers.

Classical Mechanic

Definitely. My flawed memory seems to suggest he was overworked in his early days, which may have accelerated his future problems?
He had a serious hamstring injury aged 19 which left him with only two thirds of the strength in one of his hamstrings for the rest of his career. He says that changed him as a player as it killed his crazy acceleration that made him so exciting when burst onto the scene. He also claimed that injury caused all his major ones after because of the imbalance. That type of injury can now be fully repaired.

He also said he comes from a family of athletes prone to muscle injuries so couldn't blame it on being overworked as a young player.

midnightmare

Do you think he fits with the OP? Nesta, for my (and a lot of other peoples') money is the best CB of all-time (my first name for a defender in an all-time xi, even over Baresi or Figueroa) capable of dealing with absolutely any type of striker that can be named, even Ronaldo 1on1.

MVB - as stated below.

Van Basten is already regarded as arguably the best striker of all time (he's always in the discussion) for the reasons you mention plus his completeness.

The whole idea is for players whose career path went in another direction because of the injuries - so unless you believe he was going to go on to be the best striker of all-time literally outright, he doesn't really fit with the thread as his legacy is set in stone and he will always be in the most elite echelon for strikers.
When an Owen or even a Ronaldo are mentioned, you can’t leave out MvB, surely? R9 is considered by many to be the best striker of at least the generation and by many, among the top 3 of all time. Owen played on too. R9 and MvB lost years to injury and also, almost certainly could’ve done a heck of a lot more if not for these injuries. Ergo my point that just because MvB achieved greatness (as did R9 and Giggs) it doesn’t mean he can be excluded when looking at players who’d be among the greatest if not for injury. Excluding him should also logically mean R9 is excluded.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
How good was Del Piero before the injury? What was his ceiling? Would love to see some footage, as the Del Piero post injury was pretty good as well.
Del Piero, pre-injury, was directly compared to and paralleled to peak Baggio - because this was the era of Baggio and he was the supreme #10 of Serie A. He couldn't dribble to that standard, but he was extremely adept at sudden turns and sharp, dynamic actions that got him out of trouble in an instant. What this meant is that he could let defenders get tight on him, and in a flash he was around them or had used them as dummys/decoys to get his shot off, and his shooting was absolute class, not for its power put for its precision and timing. Anywhere inside 30 yards, Del Piero had to be marked fastidiously because he could thread any pass he wanted, but always had a picture of the goal and the obstacles in front of it that, given the opportunity, he would exploit.

You're not going to see many Baggio-like slaloming through as many bodies as come at him, or that notion this guy is a one-man army like a Maradona, Zico etc. but what you will quickly process is that he was a lethal #10 who occupied 2 and 3 men at a time because he couldn't be allowed any space or time open in and around the middle of the final third. With the injury, all those sharp turns, sudden movements and connecting of mind with instinctive bodily actions, were gone. He adapted the best he could and displayed how amazing his technique, vision and intelligence were, but he could, in his post-injury state, be marked and handled much easier because his agility had gone and I do believe he also lost a bit of confidence in his body, or plain knew not to try, some of his swivels and actions anymore.

If you never knew of pre-injury Del Piero, you'd be none the wiser to the amazing player he was contrasted to the very, very good one he was forced to be.

I should also add Del Piero was taking Serie A by storm as a prodigy in his pre-injury seasons - it's not just about grace and classy style - he was on course for a different career than we got to see.

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
When an Owen or even a Ronaldo are mentioned, you can’t leave out MvB, surely? R9 is considered by many to be the best striker of at least the generation and by many, among the top 3 of all time. Owen played on too. R9 and MvB lost years to injury and also, almost certainly could’ve done a heck of a lot more if not for these injuries. Ergo my point that just because MvB achieved greatness (as did R9 and Giggs) it doesn’t mean he can be excluded when looking at players who’d be among the greatest if not for injury. Excluding him should also logically mean R9 is excluded.
I get where you're coming from, but what you will tend to notice with nearly all picks in here is that it was joint injuries or muscle injuries at an early age that 'ruined' them and altered their career path. Van Basten had arguably already played at his peak and got to do a hell of a lot in his 'proper' body before his ankle got butchered and he was forced to retire. He was late 20's when it all started as opposed to late teens, early or mid 20's like the majority of the others, so unless he was due another spurt to another level of brilliance, it's hard to see how he fits in with the others - the whole world got to see Van Basten in 'full form' for years where it wasn't the case for all the others that come to mind.

Just for me personally, he doesn't fit with this thread because he had his [truer] career before the damage and what we were robbed of was an extension of that peak rather than altering of his prime years, if that make sense?

midnightmare

I get where you're coming from, but what you will tend to notice with nearly all picks in here is that it was joint injuries or muscle injuries at an early age that 'ruined' them and altered their career path. Van Basten had arguably already played at his peak and got to do a hell of a lot in his 'proper' body before his ankle got butchered and he was forced to retire. He was late 20's when it all started as opposed to late teens, early or mid 20's like the majority of the others, so unless he was due another spurt to another level of brilliance, it's hard to see how he fits in with the others - the whole world got to see Van Basten in 'full form' for years where it wasn't the case for all the others that come to mind.

Just for me personally, he doesn't fit with this thread because he had his [truer] career before the damage and what we were robbed of was an extension of that peak rather than altering of his prime years, if that make sense?
Can see where you're coming from. For me, the 1987-88 injury (more than half a season missed then with full surgery) probably changed him. It was ultimately this initial one that caused continual pain and with repeated damage ultimately saw him have yet more surgeries and ultimately killed his career just 4 years later. A lot like R9, you wonder if what we saw was the real "peak" or whether what we saw on the grandest stage (1987-88 was before Euro 88) was a player that was this good despite the damage. We know that surgery then almost always left you a lesser player and athlete - so I reckon this will always be down to individual perception.

All that said, yeah, get where you're coming from too.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Can see where you're coming from. For me, the 1987-88 injury (more than half a season missed then with full surgery) probably changed him. It was ultimately this initial one that caused continual pain and with repeated damage ultimately saw him have yet more surgeries and ultimately killed his career just 4 years later. A lot like R9, you wonder if what we saw was the real "peak" or whether what we saw on the grandest stage (1987-88 was before Euro 88) was a player that was this good despite the damage. We know that surgery then almost always left you a lesser player and athlete - so I reckon this will always be down to individual perception.

All that said, yeah, get where you're coming from too.
By this criteria, sure, he'd be inclusive, it's just that when people think Van Basten, they (myself included) assume they saw his peak and him at his full potential before it was cruelly taken from him. If it's looked at from the angle that that wasn't even his peak, then no doubt about his place.

It's much easier with the likes of Owen and Ronaldo because they were on their way up, so young and had such career-altering injuries that you didn't need any nuance to see they were wholly different players pre to post injury.

If you look at Ajax Van Basten and Milan Van Basten, there isn't much of a difference, he just got smarter and more incisive in smaller spaces, but any chance he got to open up, his pace, mobility and dribbling were the same as they had been, so it's no surprise most of us believed this was simply him, and then, there was the butchering and plummet into retirement.

I don't think I've heard someone say: 'what could Van Basten be without the injuries', rather than: 'it's a damn shame we didn't get to see more of him at his best.' whereas people will forever wonder what Ronaldo's actual injury-free peak would have been.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

I agree that it would be hard to see him topping his best work in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Happy to be corrected, but I understand ankle injuries affected more of his career than just his early retirement. In his final season at Ajax in 1986/87, he's basically done in but Cruyff demands he plays a couple of key games, including the Cup Winners Cup Final, before he can leave. And his first campaign in Italy in 1987/88 is beset by ankle troubles, to the point where he doesn't even start Euro '88 as first choice. Arguably his injury doesn't affect his achievements there and he is one of the few 'GOATs' who has a godly international tournament to back up his club reputation. Yet there is a great unknown over his World Cup legacy. In 1990 he clearly wasn't fit and in all likelihood it doesn't affect his legacy given how far Holland flagged off the pace that West Germany set. But a peak Van Basten at USA '94, alongside Bergkamp and the rest of the emerging generation, could have been spectacular (the potential was obvious at Euro '92) and further enhanced his legacy especially had they gone past Brazil to win it. And purely in terms of quantity, that shorter career does mean he falls short when you compare the volume of the decade-plus output of Puskas, Eusebio, Cristiano, Muller, Messi and Pele. Even though as an overall no9 his performance level was arguably only bettered by Ronaldo and Pele. As you say, that extension of his peak is what we missed out on.

Timothy Burns

Lots of Arsenal players, such as RVP, Ramsey, Wilshere and Walcott, for me. If various players hadn't been injured all the time, i feel Arsenal would've been challenging for the title a lot more, not least in 15/16.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I agree that it would be hard to see him topping his best work in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Happy to be corrected, but I understand ankle injuries affected more of his career than just his early retirement. In his final season at Ajax in 1986/87, he's basically done in but Cruyff demands he plays a couple of key games, including the Cup Winners Cup Final, before he can leave. And his first campaign in Italy in 1987/88 is beset by ankle troubles, to the point where he doesn't even start Euro '88 as first choice. Arguably his injury doesn't affect his achievements there and he is one of the few 'GOATs' who has a godly international tournament to back up his club reputation. Yet there is a great unknown over his World Cup legacy. In 1990 he clearly wasn't fit and in all likelihood it doesn't affect his legacy given how far Holland flagged off the pace that West Germany set. But a peak Van Basten at USA '94, alongside Bergkamp and the rest of the emerging generation, could have been spectacular (the potential was obvious at Euro '92) and further enhanced his legacy especially had they gone past Brazil to win it. And purely in terms of quantity, that shorter career does mean he falls short when you compare the volume of the decade-plus output of Puskas, Eusebio, Cristiano, Muller, Messi and Pele. Even though as an overall no9 his performance level was arguably only bettered by Ronaldo and Pele. As you say, that extension of his peak is what we missed out on.
The World Cups - definitely a great point, actually one I can't argue against. In that context, we definitely didn't get to see Van Basten in his pomp and his placing in the elite striker set is certainly brought down a peg or two in that regard.

He's a tricky one because it seems his ankles gave him pain, but didn't prevent him from performing when he got out there - what I was associating the thread with is players whose injuries just wrecked them and turned them from one thing into another, which I just don't know if that's what happened with MVB, as in, was he unable to turn or move or do specific things because of the injuries when he was actually on the pitch? With him, it seems more like it was a case of play or be in too much pain to, rather than be a lesser figure once out there, but again, the WC's are a counter to that, in fairness.

Have to admit, I didn't have him in mind when thinking of this thread as he'd done so much before retiring, even if his retirement was ridiculously early.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Cech
Bale Gascoigne B. Robson Giggs
V. Mazzola
Ronaldo Rooney​
@Fortitude

Had a rejig... Rooney for me prior to injury was looking like he could conquer the world and be the main man for club and country... but I think injuries robbed him of his dynamism to the extent where he beat functioned as a support act.

Then when he reinvented himself as a 9 and dominated even Europe - he suffers an ankle injury.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Essien. Before the injury, he was perhaps the most devastating midfielder in the world. Absolutely unstoppable.

midnightmare

Yeah - just the point I was making above. The man had everything and was so good that most (me, included) don't ever think of how much better things could have been but for that horrific 1987-88 injury. His return at Euro 88 was also "lucky" in some ways (more for Holland than himself, you could argue) and his 1988-92 form was scintillating. But as we've heard from others of that era, playing after such horrific injuries early in the career alters you. He was just 23 when he had that first major injury and I wonder at times what could have been if he hadn't had it. Maybe it would all still have panned out the same way - with just a few more years of him "swanning" around. Certainly though, he'd be higher up the echelon of greats when people start making the "all-time" lists.

Then again, maybe this is just me being nostalgic and sentimental about the guy I grew up idolizing and trying to be like when I played.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Thought of him as well.

Igor Tudor - the Croatian Ledley King
Tomáš Rosický - in an injury-free parallel universe, he'd walk into any team
Jari Litmanen - cursed after leaving Ajax

charlie9882

Vincent Kompany. A truly world class player who had his best years completely derailed by constant injury.

sallycinnamin

Steve Coppell, Tony Daley and how much better Paul Mc Grath would have been without constant knee injuries.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Quick attempt at an eastern euro one. Not balanced, but you wouldn't get the ball off them many times.
Lubanski
Ilie​
Prosinecki - Savicevic
Tsymbalar - D.Stojkovic​
Zhirkov - Kuznetsov - Khidiyatullin - Tetradze
Akinfeev
Few other mentions: Yevgeny Rudakov, Ilie Balaci, Pavlo Yakovenko, Oleg Protasov, Marat Izmailov, Tomas Rosicky

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Gazza, the most naturally gifted player i've ever seen, he would definately be ranked in that tier 1 bracket without that injury.
Rio, world class but never the same once his back went, was still a very good player but nowhere near his best.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I don't know what 'elite' exactly means for you, but he might be the best player in Germany right now.
I expected him to be among top 5 players in the world at one point, as he genuinely seemed to have everything.

Good to hear he's steering clear of injuries and playing well in Germany at the minute. Hope it continues.

diarm

Apologies for playing the Liverpool card again, but Rob Jones was another one who felt like injuries wrecked his career. Went from Crewe youth to England international in 6 months, and looked like he'd be a genuine alternative to Gary Neville for a decade, but then injuries happened and he dropped like a stone.
Don't think any apologies needed for that. Everything I've ever read about Rob Jones suggests he'd have been an England stalwart for years only for injury.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Quick attempt at an eastern euro one. Not balanced, but you wouldn't get the ball off them many times.
Lubanski
Ilie​
Prosinecki - Savicevic
Tsymbalar - D.Stojkovic​
Zhirkov - Kuznetsov - Khidiyatullin - Tetradze
Akinfeev
Few other mentions: Yevgeny Rudakov, Ilie Balaci, Pavlo Yakovenko, Oleg Protasov, Marat Izmailov, Tomas Rosicky
Aye. Anczok at left-back was somebody who looked like the full package pre-injury - pace, defensive acumen, tidy on the ball - but who was unfortunate to fall by the wayside, like Lubanski, as the Polish golden generation came together in the 1970s.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Can't think of an XI nor do I think one would be balanced in how tragic it is.

You have careers cut short by injury (MvB), beset by injuries (Sicknote), or good players who unfortunately didn't fulfill their potential (a King or a Woodgate, which looked good but wouldn't be challenging the GOAT category, probably Lentini here as well although he was completely shot by comparison).

As far as criminal changes in trajectory and wondering what may have been I only have 5 top of mind:

-Ronaldo
-Giggs
-Del Piero
-Schuster
-Cech (feel sorry but not bad about this one like the others though, could have cost us a league or two and the CL in 08)

Trizy

Rooney? Sure he is the most successful club in England's top scorer, won it all and top international scorer but he was unplayable up until his injury in 2010.

One could argue it had no impact and he just declined rapidly from mileage as opposed to an injury.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
@Fortitude

Had a rejig... Rooney for me prior to injury was looking like he could conquer the world and be the main man for club and country... but I think injuries robbed him of his dynamism to the extent where he beat functioned as a support act.

Then when he reinvented himself as a 9 and dominated even Europe - he suffers an ankle injury.
If it wasn't for Del Piero, I'd have had him in my team. Just that Del Piero was something else and I'd have to say the pre-injury version was better than Rooney.

Definitely agree with you though - Rooney completely changed as a player and I really hated that the player he once was had gone.
Can't think of an XI nor do I think one would be balanced in how tragic it is.

You have careers cut short by injury (MvB), beset by injuries (Sicknote), or good players who unfortunately didn't fulfill their potential (a King or a Woodgate, which looked good but wouldn't be challenging the GOAT category, probably Lentini here as well although he was completely shot by comparison).

As far as criminal changes in trajectory and wondering what may have been I only have 5 top of mind:

-Ronaldo
-Giggs
-Del Piero
-Schuster
-Cech (feel sorry but not bad about this one like the others though, could have cost us a league or two and the CL in 08)
I'm really struggling for FB's, still. I don't know if I've just got a mind block on or if FB's just don't get the same brutal robbery of their abilities that other positions do. All of those [listed] are in my team. I wonder if this can be more diverse or if there's a collective forgetfulness in this department.

------------------------------------------------------Ronaldo

-----------------------------------------------------Del Piero

Giggs-------------------------------------------------------------------Kaka'

---------------------------------Schuster---------------------Essien

--------------------------------------------------Sammer

------------------------Woodgate-----------------McGrath-------------King

-------------------------------------------------------Cech

I'm struggling badly for fullbacks so added Woodgate and King for the time being. Hope I can come up with two better players there.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
@Fortitude I thought Sammer was out for the same reason as Marco?

@Raees Beattie is a great pick - fits the criteria to a tee.
I thought the difference between them is Sammer was just reaching his peak, and then it was cut short as opposed to Van Basten, who we [assume] saw the best of?

I'll take him out if it seems too subjective or even hypocritical.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I thought the difference between them is Sammer was just reaching his peak, and then it was cut short as opposed to Van Basten, who we [assume] saw the best of?

I'll take him out if it seems too subjective or even hypocritical.
Perhaps another 2-3 years at his 1996 level places Sammer on par with a Scirea or Passarella, rather than lacking the fullness of CV to be quite in that bracket?