Greatest Sporting Moment Ever

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Following Tiger's 'revival' recently, I've been pouring over some of his highlight videos on youtube.

What a shot, with a one stroke lead in The Masters with only 3 holes remaining. Incredible.

I'm not saying it is "the greatest" sporting moment, but it has to be up there. What is the greatest sporting moment to you? Perhaps if there is enough interest a poll or vote could be made. Right now though, share your personal favourites. Football included of course.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The CL final v Munich aside...these two spring to mind.

Tyson gets KO'd by Buster Douglass

Bolt 9.58

Skills

Snitch
Usain Bolt London 2012

Nadal wins Wimbledon 2008

Bolts legit got a claim for about 5 moments. Just the rawness of what he did was unprecedented.

The 100m in 2008 while he jogged the last 20. Beating Johnsons record to follow it up. Smashing both them records in 2009. Then smashing the fastest olympic track field ever assembled in both the 100m and 200m in 2012.

Dan

Michael Johnson’s 200m at the Olympics in 1996 blew me away. He’d been chasing Pietro Mennea’s 200m WR of 19.72s which stood for almost 17 years and finally broke it a few months before the Olympics with a time of 19.66s.

Then at the Olympics he destroyed his own WR by finishing in a time of 19.32s. A record i’d never thought would be beaten in my lifetime it was that good. Lowering the 200m by 0.4s in a year was just unheard of.

Of course Usain Bolt comes along and breaks it 13 years later.

Davs

There really is only one answer. I don't even think I'm being biased :devil:

Dan

The season Jonathan Edwards had in 1995, everything came together for him that year, he broke the world record with a jump of 17.98m and then a few weeks later at the world championships broke the world record twice in 20 minutes with a huge jump of 18.29m which is still the world record today.

Xeno

The season Jonathan Edwards had in 1995, everything came together for him that year, he broke the world record with a jump of 17.98m and then a few weeks later at the world championships broke the world record twice in 20 minutes with a huge jump of 18.29m which is still the world record today.

I always look at how long has the record stood as an indication of how outrageous it was, and that Edwards jump is pretty immense. Shame he's a ridiculous God-botherer nowadays.
Record destroyed:
[/QUOTE]

That's really sad tbf :/

Dan

Mike Powell Vs Carl Lewis at the 1991 World Championships. Carl Lewis does a wind assisted jump of 8.91m and then Mike Powell comes along and does a world record legal jump of 8.95m. No one has been near those sort of distances since then.

Dan

David Rudisha at the 2012 Olympics produced the most dominant run in the 800m that i’ve ever seen and being the first and only man to run under 1:41.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
'Moment' lends itself more to a one-off where everything is decided in a few seconds. These are the top two for me:

Bolt 9.58

And this third because he put so much into a world record that for all purposes hadn't been touched in a couple of decades.

Mike Powell Vs Carl Lewis at the 1991 World Championships. Carl Lewis does a wind assisted jump of 8.91m and then Mike Powell comes along and does a world record legal jump of 8.95m. No one has been near those sort of distances since then.

Definitely the best contest in athletics history for me.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
"some people are on the pitch...they think it's all over....it is now!"

Indnyc

Was so invested in this.. May not be the greatest one but up there with my favorite tennis moments

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
2012 Olympics when we won three golds in one day and Ennis was crying during the national anthem on the podium was special.

Jenson Button winning in Canada in 2011 after the race being stopped for several hours, having his team mate crash into him, having been into the pits six times for damage, stop go penalties and pitstops and having to come all the way from the very back to win it on the last lap having put the completely dominant Vettel under enough pressure to crack and make a mistake was immense. Probably the best F1 race ever.

Lewis winning it at the last corner in 2008 after Massa thinking he'd done it is another for F1. Ridiculous race.

Sticking with motorsport. Rossi vs Stoner at Laguna Seca in 2008 was one of the best battles I've ever seen but also Rossi putting an impossible pass on Gibernau in the last corner on the last lap at Barcelona in

Murray winning Wimbledon ending the British curse after 70 odd years was another great thing to witness as well.

Europe coming back in the Ryder Cup in 2012 from a seemingly impossible position? I hate watching golf but that became must watch. The Miracle in Medinah indeed.

The 99 final was everything we ever dreamt of with the way it ended and (sadly) the Aguero moment too are as good as football gets for drama and sheer emotion I think. As much as I hated that day, Martin Tyler was right saying 'I swear you'll never see anything like it again'. Definitely you would in terms of last gasp winners but to win the title like that after 38 games? Never.

Also does skydiving count? Because this was one of the best things i've ever seen ever

Last edited:

Roosney

Finland winning the Ice Hockey WC by beating Sweden at their home ground 1-4 in 1995. We all went fecking ballistic for days. Also, it helped us get up and out of an economical depression. Sports can do big things.

muller

Biased answers..

CL Final in 99.
Super Saturday at London 2012 - the 3 golds in an hour - just absolutely incredible.

Patriots Superbowls.. all of them..

• Coming from 28-3 down with 18 minutes to play
  • Rookie interception on the goal line - still one of the bst individual plays i've ever seen and the coaching and time spent going into that moment is amazing.

SteveTheRed

Bolt in the 2008 Olympics was ridiculous. Definitely stands out in mind, I can recall watch it and just being shocked. Probably because it was a sport I knew very little about, didn't have a clue who he was and he just breezed past the WR like it was nothing.

Carolina Red

Staff
Yeah thought of Jesse Owens and his quadruple gold under those circumstances as well when I read the thread title, great shout.
The cliche of “a picture is worth a thousand words” can really be summed up by that photo, imo.

It is a sports photo but it is telling you so much more than just about sport.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
The cliche of “a picture is worth a thousand words” can really be summed up by that photo, imo.

It is a sports photo but it is telling you so much more than just about sport.
True - although what still shocks me most are the struggles he faced when returning back to the United States. For all the talk of Hitler snubbing him (which he didn't), it was his homeland that turned its back on him.

Different times I know, but still shocking.

Carolina Red

Staff
True - although what still shocks me most are the struggles he faced when returning back to the United States. For all the talk of Hitler snubbing him (which he didn't), it was his homeland that turned its back on him.

Different times I know, but still shocking.
Yes, which for me makes this an even more powerful image.

kidbob

This hands down for me. Foreman was an unstoppable force who had destroyed Fraizer and nobody really thought Ali had a chance (he wasn't the light footed boxer that he was before his ban). Ali used not only his boxing ability but all his smarts in letting Foreman punch himself out. My favourite moment is the fact that he had a clear shot to punch Foreman again as he fell but he just watched him fall as if he knew he would never get back up.

Also my favourite sporting speech of all time in the lead up to the fight.

Ali was incredible.