Greatest World Cup Final of all time?

Schneckerl

Yeah, it is. One that rivals it from the footage I've seen is the 1954 Final (full game not available). 3rd best would be 1966.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Gutted, wanted the French all day for obvious reasons, we should have been there in my opinion and we would have won it because the French were poor until 70ish minutes and the Argentines weren’t that much better.

There will be fawning of Messi and he’s an incredible player but he wasn’t the best in this game and cost them a goal.

Mbappe was different class when it mattered and will only get better I reckon.

Glad this farce of a world cup Is over to be honest, looking at my Christmas decks while watching a World Cup final is a joke and FIFA talk like it’s all inclusive but it isn’t, it’s all about Them making money (6billion?)and that’s why they’re talking about a club World Cup in ‘24, flog the players till there’s no players to flog but money talks and that’s where football is at i guess.
6 billion? Where did you get this number from???

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Had all the goals come from open play I would have argued it is the best football game ever even with the disastrous first 70 minutes from France

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I'm still reeling a bit from the game honestly.

Now that the dust has settled and there has been time to digest, I genuinely believe there is an argument that this was the greatest game of Football ever played.

Zetrio2002

Penalties is part of the game now. Players who are clueless concede penalties so experience count. In the last world cup final, there was also penalty.

Learning how to do well in penalty shootout is also part of the game.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I enjoyed the game and seeing two great players pitching their wits, that's the remarkable side of it if you ask me. Mbappé is without a doubt the least deserving losing finalist I've seen. But you guys really need to watch more football if you think this was the best final, let alone game, ever.

France did nothing for 70 minutes until Otamendi dragged them back into it. Three of the goals were penalties, which doesn't speak of quality but brainless defending, as all three were. The game was anyone's to win because neither side could defend for shit, which is pretty poor for two finalists.

Furthermore, while for many it felt like an emotional rollercoaster, for me it didn't quite. France folds. They had folded at 2-0, at 2-2 and again at 3-3 (yeah, last ditch save and all that) and they folded from the spot.

A better game? Two semifinals: 1970 Germany-Italy, or 1982 Germany-France.

Both featured Germany who, like in 1954 final, used to have a habit of coming back into games. Germany was never out until the whistle blew. So much so that the one huge "mistake" from the Dutch in 1974 was scoring so early.

A better final? 1986, because everything that happened over 120 minutes on Sunday happened in 90 and, more precisely, 10 minutes. Against THAT Germany, not the current one, and not France.

It also got settled on the pitch. When everyone saw the night coming and the German panzers running them over, Maradona nonchalantly plays Burruchaga through and suddenly it's settled. The Argies had a giant hammer falling on their heads and Diego had turned it on the aggressor. Boom.

People who keep talking about stats simply don't understand how much that cup, all four knockouts and the circumstances of that last assist feed into the legend.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Gutted, wanted the French all day for obvious reasons, we should have been there in my opinion and we would have won it because the French were poor until 70ish minutes and the Argentines weren’t that much better.

There will be fawning of Messi and he’s an incredible player but he wasn’t the best in this game and cost them a goal.

Mbappe was different class when it mattered and will only get better I reckon.

Glad this farce of a world cup Is over to be honest, looking at my Christmas decks while watching a World Cup final is a joke and FIFA talk like it’s all inclusive but it isn’t, it’s all about Them making money (6billion?)and that’s why they’re talking about a club World Cup in ‘24, flog the players till there’s no players to flog but money talks and that’s where football is at i guess.
Costing a goal because he got dispossessed at the half way line? hardly cost a goal.

I think Messi was the best player on the pitch for the game, none of the French showed up until the 78th minute.

Mbappe scored from 2 penalties, one from open play. He will get better and the penalties he scored honestly in a WC final, so much pressure full credit to him. But anonymous until he got a penalty handed to him from a tired Otamendi (who should have been taken off in the 70th minute IMO).

Frances performance honestly, sums up their tournament. Play shit for the majority of the game then get a moment of class or two, but this time Argentina were 2 up and arguably should have been more.

France need to control games next tournament (Euro 2024) because in the Euros you dont get any free rides against weaker sides, but of course there'll be a fully fit squad so I think you'll have more control in games.

I have the feeling Mbappe will be the greatest international player of all time by the time he finishes, I think he have 2 or 3 World Cups and potentially another Euro or two.

Certainly not the best player on the pitch but a strong finish none the less.

Scaloni not bringing on a defender in the 70th like Licha and Argentina not being clinical at times let France back into the game, definitely any French supporters should be happy though because they showed fight to get back.