Greenwood or Martinelli

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Im genuinely curious about this. How are they neck and neck? Martinelli only has 3 goals to his name? What else is he showing?
In all comps he has 10, Greenwood has 12.

OL29

Im genuinely curious about this. How are they neck and neck? Martinelli only has 3 goals to his name? What else is he showing?
3 goals in the league vs Greenwood’s 5. 10 goals in all comps vs Greenwood’s 12. Martinelli’s game is much more than goals, he’s a constant threat with pace and dribbling. He also scored goals at Anfield and Stamford bridge. Statistically, there’s not much in it, I do think Greenwood’s slightly more well rounded though.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Greenwood. Haven't seen Martinelli play and I hate his name. Sounds like the prick from the pub who tries to convince everyone he's cultured but is actually just Martin from the council flats.
Absolute :lol:

My mate Carl for some reason had a whole team calling him Carlos once.

They also had a captain who everyone referred to as Sarge, which I'm not even convinced was related to his surname.
We sounded like an utter bunch of cretins!!

Our whole team were sh!t, which I realised when I'd occasionally cruise in and walk straight into the lineup, but this Sarge guy was one of the crappest.

Was constantly shouting how his opposition centre mids were "cheating", (a word I'd never known in years of football before to mean "don't drop back), when usually they weren't, and it was his criminal lack of fitness that had him consistently miles off them.

Plus we had the world's crappest striker, a Scouser probably 40 years old, 5ft 2, couldn't head, run or do much.
Used to really aggravate me having shouting matches with him all game, to which i'd like a bastard tell him to "get his head on it" and suchlike.

Great memories

Ahem apologies went off track there.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
You have Macheda mkII, while we clearly have the new Neymar. It's too soon to compare them, they're both still pretty raw but i feel Martinelli will have more game time next season than Greenwood. One will also have to deal with the english hype while trying to make a name for himself.

pascell

You have Macheda mkII, while we clearly have the new Neymar. It's too soon to compare them, they're both still pretty raw but i feel Martinelli will have more game time next season than Greenwood. One will also have to deal with the english hype while trying to make a name for himself.
And the other is going to have to eventually carry his teams attack and replace the league goals of Aubameyang.

Greenwood has already had plenty of game time for a player who started the season 17 years old and is also considered one factor in selling Lukaku.

Kag

Greenwood is an absolute banker by any metric. Guaranteed phenomenal footballer; not even a shred of doubt there at all.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
I've been watching football for a while now, and certainly in the last 15 years I've never seen anyone score goals so naturally and have the link up play of a seasoned Pro at such a young age. Left foot, right foot, inside box or 30 yard pole through 5 players into the bottom corner I've seen Mason finish all types of chances.

Martinelli though is a very interesting prospect and I'm keeping a close eye on him because statistically he's on the same level.

In Rainbows

Greenwood's all around game is being underrated because it's clear he's not all that confident to express himself in the same manner he did in the youth teams. Right now, Martinelli looks to be more technical. So when he dribbles it's quite evident. That ties into what I first said. Greenwood has yet to really use his right foot in the same manner that he did for the youth teams. He's clearly favoring his left foot and while there was a slight preference in his left foot for dribbling while with the youth teams, he didn't favor it to the same extent he's done for the first team. Greenwood being purely a normal 1 footed player, doesn't have the same technical ability as the most gifted technical players. With his two footedness, it becomes much more even. For example, if you compare Rashford at the same age it appears as though Rashford is the more technical of the two, however from what I saw at youth level I would have said Greenwood is the more technical player.

Also, I haven't seen enough of Martinelli to know what his through ball ability is. Greenwood has a great weight to his through balls. When Gomes went down injured in the 2017/18 season, Greenwood filled in as a 16 year old. He didn't have the same vision as Gomes, but his through balls were effective because of the great weight he gave them consistently.

Mason Greenwood vs Young Boys as a barely turned 17 yo in the u19 youth league was a great example of his all around game. Vision, technique, dribbling, scoring, etc... It's not on youtube anymore though due to copyright.

Last edited:

Righteous Steps

Mason Greenwood can use his left nearly as good as he can his right, at the youth teams he looked like a mixture of RVP and Anelka, he is really gifted.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
There's not nearly enough hype around Greenwood

I'm mean come on

In his debut season which he was still 17 when it started
Wait till he gets confident at the first team level, he is going to have some amount of class goals, how often do you see strikers finish at the close post like he does with ease.

always_hoping

Greenwood has 13 goals and 4 assists, is a year younger, is an academy product and has generally done his business against better opposition. Martinelli is a talent no doubt but United correctly allowed him to go elsewhere knowing Greenwood was coming through.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Greenwood has 13 goals and 4 assists, is a year younger, is an academy product and has generally done his business against better opposition. Martinelli is a talent no doubt but United correctly allowed him to go elsewhere knowing Greenwood was coming through.
Greenwood's only a few months younger. Both were born in 2001, Martinelli was in June and Greenwood was in October.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Greenwood is the new RVP, Martinelli is the new Carlos Vela.
Both terrific players but Greenwood is one of the most natural finishers I have seen since RVP.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
There's some people behind the scenes at United saying Mason is miles ahead of the class of 92 at same age. He's a special talent. Potentially the best forward we've ever had come through our books. That's how good this lad can be.

If we can get our act together and build a competitive title chasing team then Mason will be the finishing piece of the jigsaw I reckon. He's got world class player written all over him if he stays humble and works hard.

Rajma

Martinelli is very tenacious and more physically developed at this stage (helps with the explosiveness), mentality doesn't seem to be a problem with him either rather his strength I would say (not traditional Arsenal type). Looks dead cert to be a very good player at very least but unfortunately for Arsenal fans as with majority of players coming from South America he'll be eager for a move to Spain in two years time, unless they become a major force quickly themselves (highly unlikely).

For this reason alone I wouldn't be able to get too excited fully if I was an Arsenal fan with this knowledge at the back of my mind, while with Greenwood you can really fall for him because you know he'll be terrorising defences for YOUR team for years to come.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Well this is bollocks. It's like me saying, Martinelli puts on his kit like a professional on before a game.

Greenwood and Garner do this:

Elite mentality. Nothing wrong with celebrating a goal.
So why do people mock stuff like this?

Doing something silly in the privacy of your dressing room isn't the same.

Brightonian

Greenwood is only three months younger, and actually has 12 goals and 4 assists in senior football this season. Martinelli has 10 goals and 4 assists but in significantly fewer minutes.

I'll edit the stats into the OP now for reference.

Toblerone92

Greenwood. His all round game is severely underappreciated, I've noticed a trend of opposition supporters relegating him to be just a really good finisher but he's so much more than that. I think the big decider from my point of view is that Martinelli is ahead physically which makes it easier for him to transition to adult football, Greenwood, whilst being younger and yet to fill out, is already the better player for my money.
Such asinine remarks too, as if just being a 'really good finisher' is somehow a bad thing (not that I agree with that analysis at all). There's enough speed merchants in this league that it's actually nice to see someone that can put the ball where they want it, instead of pulling the trigger and hoping for the best

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Too close to call, right now Greenwood is ahead because he's getting more minutes at Utd whereas Martinelli has Aubameyang and Lacazette ahead of him.

Utdstar01

Greenwood is only three months younger, and actually has 12 goals and 4 assists in senior football this season. Martinelli has 10 goals and 4 assists but in significantly fewer minutes.

I'll edit the stats into the OP now for reference.
Significantly fewer minutes is 2 games?

I don't really care who's better, I'm just glad we have Mason and i wouldn't swap him for any other youth product.

Brightonian

Significantly fewer minutes is 2 games?

I don't really care who's better, I'm just glad we have Mason and i wouldn't swap him for any other youth product.
Well, when you score at the rate these two do, then yes.

Agreed, anyway. The main purpose of the thread is really to give people a place to get pumped about Greenwood. :drool:

Lentwood

I've seen Martinelli play and he's undoubtedly talented, however, I personally feel that Greenwood is a generational talent. One of the best finishers I've ever seen and the lad is 18, it's ridiculous

Utdstar01

Well, when you score at the rate these two do, then yes.

Agreed, anyway. The main purpose of the thread is really to give people a place to get pumped about Greenwood. :drool:
Worth mentioning that all of Mason's goals with the exception of the Sheffield United one were all difficult goals to score. Quite an impressive collection of goals so early on in his career.

Champagne Football

Martinelli will be flirting with Juventus and Madrid once big clubs show interest, so if I'm an English club, I'm signing Greenwood every day of the week

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Greenwood is getting pigeonholed as a finisher because his finishing really is that good. He isn't scoring tap ins or screamers, he's scoring from half chances that good strikers finish occasionally, while great strikers score frequently. He has that ability to find that extra bit of space in the penalty box when he is squaring up to a defender. He doesn't need to beat them to create a goal scoring opportunity, just move the ball enough up open up an angle. That's a scaring thing. In effect, a defender can do everything right and still see the ball fly into the top corner. Needless to say, he can do it with both feet as well.

I'd argue that if his finishing wasn't as good as it was, the other aspects of his game would be more appreciated. Clearly Martinelli is a talented kid, and could go on to play at a high level, but he doesn't have that innate ability to go from a star to a superstar.

rotherham_red

You're a nonspecific top club, and you have the chance to sign either Gabriel Martinelli or Mason Greenwood for the exact same price. Who do you go for?

Feel free to give answers as whatever type of generic club you fancy (European giants, PL top four) or as a specific club if you prefer - obviously they are different players who will fill different holes so it won't necessarily be a simple question of who's better.

For my money Martinelli looks the more gifted all-round footballer, and Greenwood the better natural finisher. Greenwood will go on to score more career goals, I'm confident of that, because he will keep on scoring goals through hot streaks and through cold. But whereas he looks certain to thrive at centre forward specifically, Martinelli could easily become a top player anywhere in a 'front three' or even as a #10. As a United fan I am obviously inclined to say Greenwood, and I think that would be my answer as any generic Premier League club too. But if I was Barcelona or Juventus or someone like that, I might just have to say Martinelli.

EDIT: Stats for reference:

Greenwood (age 18, born 1 October)

*two goals and 152 minutes of playing time here are in youth competitions

Martinelli: (age 18, born 18 June)
Bit strange that you say Greenwood's all-round game suffers in comparison to Martinelli. He was a 10 coming through the ranks (only started playing as the 9 from the age of 16), and has played on the right and left at various points in his time at the club. It's just that his finishing is at such a freakishly good level, that we were almost obligated to play him up front.

Redcy

Left foot, right foot, and the through pass toward the end is sublime

Lentwood

The idea that Utd fans hyped up Macheda as the second-coming is common and is false. It was predominantly the media pushing the 'next big thing' agenda. The bloke scored one very good, very important goal and then his only other league goal for us hit him and went in!

I can tell you that SENSIBLE Utd fans, those who actually attend games, watch Academy matches etc....where far more cautios

I think the 'one that got away' for Utd was Janujaz....because he was rightly hyped and then failed to deliver. Potentially as most of his coaches (then and since) said his attitude and application changed once he thought he had 'made it'

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
Left foot is definitely his shooting foot.
The weird thing in that video is that he goes Arjen Robben levels of going his way to get the shot of with his left foot and then takes a pen with his right foot . I am sure footballers do it these days to create an illusion they are naturally two footed.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Worth keeping in mind that Greenwood is posting these figures whilst still clearly having a lot of growing/building up muscle to come. Even more so that when Rashford broke onto the scene. In a few years, Mason will be unrecognisable and the level he could be at that point is scary.

Conversely Martinelli looks much more mature in that regard. Of course he'll improve, but I think Mason's ceiling is much higher ultimately.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
So why do people mock stuff like this?

Doing something silly in the privacy of your dressing room isn't the same.
Until you find Martinelli doing that celebration in the 91st minute at age 30, it's not valid. Giroud has always been a bit questionable.

Last edited:

SambaBoy

Yes, for those that have seen him enough in the academy will know how good his all round game is. This myth that he lacks more to his game than goals is nonsense. It's mainly fans who have probably seen him just this season in parts and no more than that.
Any player who steps up to the first team from the academy will have looked a step above in the Academy. They should do, they are playing against some players who don't have a future in football or will be Championship, League 1 or League 2 players at best.

As of now, the question surrounding Greenwod all round game are understandable. He hasn't shown this in his fleeting appearances at senior level. Granted, he's new on the scene and not starting games regularly and he may well have a great all round game but apart from his ice cool finishing he hasn't shown much else.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
It feels a bit like he is playing within himself for the first team considering how he has played at youth level. It could be sensible to play with lower risk while finding his feet at senior level. Could also be a confidence thing.

It will be very interesting to see how he develop physically. He does not look like an early developer at all. I read somewhere that he was a promising sprinter in his younger days and that he is he Man Utd player this season with greatest «top speed». If he does the work in the gym he could become a great athlete in a few years.

romufc

You just have to look at the finishes he has come up with this season. He seems like such an elegant player. Alot of people seem to question his all round game but if you watch him play, he rarely gives the ball away and has a really good pass on him too.

He needs to be managed well, be a rotation option for the players we have and in a season or two we could have a formidable attacking line up.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm a huge fan of Greenwood, think he will become a star of football in the next 5 years.

Martinelli has been a lot better than I expected, he looks class I must admit. Think he will be a great player for Arsenal, but of course i'm sticking with our lad.

It feels a bit like he is playing within himself for the first team considering how he has played at youth level. It could be sensible to play with lower risk while finding his feet at senior level. Could also be a confidence thing.

It will be very interesting to see how he develop physically. He does not look like an early developer at all. I read somewhere that he was a promising sprinter in his younger days and that he is he Man Utd player this season with greatest «top speed». If he does the work in the gym he could become a great athlete in a few years.
100% he actually was more selfish against Cardiff where he just played in emotion and what he knows best. Since then he started the season a bit wobbly with growing issues, but my god did he have a fantastic 2nd part to the season.

Once he grows into his frame a bit more he's going to be quick, strong and have a lethal shot.