Greenwood or Martinelli

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Until you find Martinelli doing that celebration in the 91st minute at age 30, it's not valid. Giroud has always been a bit questionable.

Right. Very specific set of circumstances.

Charles Miller

There's a mentality difference as well. Greenwood scores equalising goals and doesn't celebrate, grabs the ball. Martinelli does it and celebrates like he's won a trophy.
This is bollocks. Greenwood is playing in his own country, in front of his people, on a total and complete comfort zone. If he can't make it at United, still he is going to make a lot of money playing for some middle table side. Martinelli came from a third division club in Brazil straight to a traditional english club. He has not the option to fail. If he can"t perform this season, they are going to loan him to some lower league. Also, South Americans celebrate goals with passion, its not an indicative of weak mentality. If you read what they say about Martinelli, strong mentality is exactly his main strenght.

That said, o have no idea if any of them will be a top player.

Handré1990

This is bollocks. Greenwood is playing in his own country, in front of his people, on a total and complete comfort zone. If he can't make it at United, still he is going to make a lot of money playing for some middle table side. Martinelli came from a third division club in Brazil straight to a traditional english club. He has not the option to fail. If he can"t perform this season, they are going to loan him to some lower league. Also, South Americans celebrate goals with passion, its not an indicative of weak mentality. If you read what they say about Martinelli, strong mentality is exactly his main strenght.

Nobody knows, but they’ve both had a cracking start to their pro careers. Not seen enough of Martinelli, but if he’s being compared to our Mason he must be pretty good!

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line

Are South Americans the only ones who celebrate goals with passion? I'm sure if I looked, I could find a video of a South American player picking the ball out of the net after scoring a goal because they were level or behind.

I'm not going to downplay anyone's journey to becoming a professional footballer but I will say it isn't easy for anyone. Just because Martinelli is in a foreign country, doesn't make him better or lesser than someone playing in their country of birth.

romufc

Are South Americans the only ones who celebrate goals with passion? I'm sure if I looked, I could find a video of a South American player picking the ball out of the net after scoring a goal because they were level or behind.

I'm not going to downplay anyone's journey to becoming a professional footballer but I will say it isn't easy for anyone. Just because Martinelli is in a foreign country, doesn't make him better or lesser than someone playing in their country of birth.
Agreed and currently playing at Arsenal is less pressure than at Manutd. The amount of negative coverage manutd have got this season shows it.

For a player to come into the team, when the club have sold their main striker for £70m to replace his goals is not the same as a player coming into compliment strikers like Auby and Laca.

Finally, it doesn't matter if he is from a foreign country or not, the step up to PL is going to be difficult for any player be it from the academy or Brazil.

The pressures are there but different. Martinelli might have pressure of not performing and being sold / loaned out but Greenwood has his own pressures when he is an English ST coming through, the media look at English players with a fine comb.

Ibi Dreams

There's not nearly enough hype around Greenwood

I'm mean come on

In his debut season which he was still 17 when it started
The lack of hype around him is genuinely quite weird given how young he is, how many goals he scored and how good some of them were

It's a good thing, though.

reddevilchennai

I would prefer to have Greenwood as he is a generational talent and an English talent (no worries about La Liga clubs coming for him). The way he finishes reminds me of RVP. If he can stay fit and work harder, he will be the best forward of next decade along with Haaland, Mbappe.

I don't know why United rejected the chance of signing Martinelli. His videos on youtube shows the boy has so much talent and he has a got a great build to play in PL which Mason lacks as of now.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
The lack of hype around him is genuinely quite weird given how young he is, how many goals he scored and how good some of them were

It's a good thing, though.
Especially when you compare it to the hype Rashford got when he broke through, not that I'm complaining.

RyRoc

Both look excellent talents but far too early to make a call as to which one will go on to have a greater call. I'd say from what I've seen Greenwood has a higher ceiling and I'd predict it will be him to have the better career but Martinelli is also very young and looks to have a lot about him. As I said I'd go with Greenwood but anyone saying stuff like 'clearly Greenwood' or 'not even a contest' are off the mark IMO. Far too early to say that - both huge talents.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
The weird thing in that video is that he goes Arjen Robben levels of going his way to get the shot of with his left foot and then takes a pen with his right foot . I am sure footballers do it these days to create an illusion they are naturally two footed.
To be fair to Greenwood he's actually scoring free kicks with his right in the video a couple of posts above yours.

Le Red

Greenwood. Haven't seen Martinelli play and I hate his name. Sounds like the prick from the pub who tries to convince everyone he's cultured but is actually just Martin from the council flats.
What? That's just an Italian surname that's very popular in Brazil.

Le Red

It was a joke.
OK then. Sometimes not that easy to guess because some people actually think like that.
Just to add something, I happened to see Gabriel playing in the Brazilian junior Cup. Looked very good but I was surprised to see starting for Arsenal not so long after. He didn't look THAT good. Will pay more attention from now on.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I don't know, maybe they are at same level. Same age similar stats, both look impressive for their age. But as Man Utd fans, of course I'd prefer Greenwood. I feel Greenwood is better finisher, and looks more special to me. But I am biased, of course. I am sure Arsenal fans would honestly think Martinelli is better too.

Brightonian

Bit strange that you say Greenwood's all-round game suffers in comparison to Martinelli. He was a 10 coming through the ranks (only started playing as the 9 from the age of 16), and has played on the right and left at various points in his time at the club. It's just that his finishing is at such a freakishly good level, that we were almost obligated to play him up front.
I know, I've watched him through the ranks. Kids who are so much better than their peers, like Greenwood, very often look like they can play almost any role. Once they hit the more demanding environment of senior football they tend to settle more decisively into their best role, which for Greenwood is clearly #9. Despite producing a lot of great football in his debut season from the right hand side, there can't be any real argument that he will be at his best as a centre forward. Martinelli, on the other hand, looks at least as comfortable, if not more so, as a wide attacker, since his finishing isn't as ridiculously good as Greenwood's but he is faster and more of a dribbler. I wasn't saying Greenwood is a less complete footballer, just probably less positionally flexible as things stand.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Both looks great, who knows at this stage

mav_9me

The weird thing in that video is that he goes Arjen Robben levels of going his way to get the shot of with his left foot and then takes a pen with his right foot . I am sure footballers do it these days to create an illusion they are naturally two footed.
I'm going to assume you don't know greenwood is as two footed as it gets. Watch this video.

AKDevil

I'm going to assume you don't know greenwood is as two footed as it gets. Watch this video.

[/QUOTE

this kid is so good. Watching that vid made me think about McTominay and Lingard trying to pick an all time team of academy graduates and not being blessed with striker options...one day it will be this guy.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Has Martinelli been playing out wide, like Greenwood has?

rotherham_red

I know, I've watched him through the ranks. Kids who are so much better than their peers, like Greenwood, very often look like they can play almost any role. Once they hit the more demanding environment of senior football they tend to settle more decisively into their best role, which for Greenwood is clearly #9. Despite producing a lot of great football in his debut season from the right hand side, there can't be any real argument that he will be at his best as a centre forward. Martinelli, on the other hand, looks at least as comfortable, if not more so, as a wide attacker, since his finishing isn't as ridiculously good as Greenwood's but he is faster and more of a dribbler. I wasn't saying Greenwood is a less complete footballer, just probably less positionally flexible as things stand.
Ah, duly noted. Though, I somewhat disagree that he's not as positionally flexible. Playing in a set up like Ole's at Utd demands the attackers to be flexible in terms of their positional rotation. But that's minor quibble, and I agree with the rest of your post.

Toblerone92

Their attitude and way they are managed will play a huge role in wether or not they are successful. I know little of Martinelli, but Greenwood seems a very grounded and professional kid already, more so than players 10 years his senior. We have an incredible crop of English talent coming through in nearly every position, and if Sancho joins we'll have a fantastic selection of them at United.

I have no doubt that if Greenwood applies himself and works hard, in the same way Ronaldo did, then he will be a world class player in 5 years time. He's at the right club for it; we have a history of bringing through and trusting in young talent and a manager that is prepared to give him opportunities, not to mention coaching on how to improve as a striker.

OL29

Yes, mostly. It looks more natural on him than on Greenwood, he likes to dribble at defenders and he has a wicked cross too, he's as much inclined to assist as to score.
Funnily enough, I think Mason looks more comfortable on the right currently than he does centrally, he doesn’t take on defenders much currently (although he clearly has it in his locker) but he operates better where there’s more space. I do wonder whether he might stay there for a few years yet, once he fills out I imagine he’ll be more explosive and the wide positions may be more suitable for him to ply his trade.

He'sRaldo

Funnily enough, I think Mason looks more comfortable on the right currently than he does centrally, he doesn’t take on defenders much currently (although he clearly has it in his locker) but he operates better where there’s more space. I do wonder whether he might stay there for a few years yet, once he fills out I imagine he’ll be more explosive and the wide positions may be more suitable for him to ply his trade.
Agree, he seems a better wide forward than a central fulcrum. I wouldn't mind him having a more prominent role on the right next season, I think he'll take to it very naturally.

Walters_19_MuFc

Greenwood is the type of player that wins you a title, but Martinelli is one hell of a player, and certainly wouldn't mind having him at United. With Aubameyang possibly leaving Arsenal in the summer, it could be Martinelli's chance to stamp down a position on the left.

Regards Greenwood, with the likelihood that we'll sign a right winger, I just hope he still gets a good amount of minutes, in order to allow him to continue his development.

OL29

Agree, he seems a better wide forward than a central fulcrum. I wouldn't mind him having a more prominent role on the right next season, I think he'll take to it very naturally.
Yeah, if it’s true we’re not signing Sancho then I think Greenwood will make the right side his own by the end of the season which is exciting in itself.

xonyo

Supports
Arsenal
I know I'm probably biased, but the thing I think that sets Martinelli apart from most other players at 18 is his mentality. I'll probably get laughed at, but he really seems to have a similar drive and determination as Ronaldo to be the very best. His rise from the fourth tier of Brazilian football to the Premier League is testament to this. The way managers and players talk about him it's evident he is extremely professional and only focused on football. It's rare for people to talk about an 18 year olds professionalism, whereas it's common to talk about ability e.g. Ravel Morrison or Ben Arfa.

jesperjaap

Not even a debate for me. I think Martinelli has had a purple patch and looks like just a decent young prospect personally (think Macheda). Then you look at Greenwoods stats and for the start of his career they are excellent.....yet we havent even scratched the surface at all with him.

I actually think he has looked a little nervous and playing within himself, finding his feet and not really expressign himself but you can just see the ability he has from moments so far. The touch, two footedness, balance, step overs, radar like finishing.

There is no guarantee either will become a top player, it is very very early for both of them, but in terms of ability Greenwood is an absolute mile ahead of him and certainly has all the tools to be a top top player

jesperjaap

See him more as a number 10 Rivaldo like player (actually reminds me of him the way he moves more than he does of Van Persie).

Newman123

Supports
Arsenal
I reckon Martinelli will probably have a better season than Greenwood next season. That is if both are played regularly.