Greenwood or Rashford? Who starts the final?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Start both, put Pogba in midfield, bench McT.

Cavani
Rashford Bruno Greenwood
Pogba Fred
Shaw Maguire Lindelöf AWB
deGea​

DarkDog

Both. We are playing Pogba at LW? Are we kidding ourselves? Pogba is the best nr 8 in the world and we are playing him in LW?
Solskjaer is playing Pogba at LW to fit Fred and McTominay both into our system, while he should do everything to fit Bruno and Pogba into our midfield.
I would go with
Dean
WB Lindelof Maguire Shaw
Matic Pogba
Bruno
Greenwood Cavani Rashford

bsCallout

Both. We are playing Pogba at LW? Are we kidding ourselves? Pogba is the best nr 8 in the world and we are playing him in LW?
Solskjaer is playing Pogba at LW to fit Fred and McTominay both into our system, while he should do everything to fit Bruno and Pogba into our midfield.
I would go with
Dean
WB Lindelof Maguire Shaw
Matic Pogba
Bruno
Greenwood Cavani Rashford
Matic? Absence really does make the heart grow fonder.

laughtersassassin

Last seen walking in his boot or hobbling wasn't he?

And its better than the alternative.
Well of course he'd be in a boot for ligament damage to heal it as quick as possible. But ligament damage can range from grade 1-3 and Ole didn't mention a full tear so as it stands it's possible.

Is it better than the alternatives? It's debatable. You are sacrificing control of the game for their defensive ability. But right now that defensive ability is not showing. Fred's been giving away gaol after goal losing the ball in dangerous areas.

We are a superior side than Villareal. There is certainly an argument to go with the team that can control the game better.

The problem with McFred is in their bad days McTominay is anonymous and Fred creates chances after chance for the opposition. Those bad days have been very often for them recently.

1. Leeds
2. Leicester FA Cup
3. Roma
4. Liverpool
5. Aston villa

Those are 5 games in the last Month or so just off the top of my head that Fred and sometimes McTominay have gifted the opposition a goal due to their inability on the ball. Are they preventing more goals than they are giving away right now?

I don't think so.

I'm not even a Matic fan and obviously his legs are gone but his first half performance against Leicester was better than Fred has played in months. And that was with a makeshift team.

Current form I go Pogba and Fred or Pogba and McTominay to allow us to play Greenwood Cavani and Rashford.

bsCallout

Well of course he'd be in a boot for ligament damage to heal it as quick as possible. But ligament damage can range from grade 1-3 and Ole didn't mention a full tear so as it stands it's possible.

Is it better than the alternatives? It's debatable. You are sacrificing control of the game for their defensive ability. But right now that defensive ability is not showing. Fred's been giving away gaol after goal losing the ball in dangerous areas.

We are a superior side than Villareal. There is certainly an argument to go with the team that can control the game better.

The problem with McFred is in their bad days McTominay is anonymous and Fred creates chances after chance for the opposition. Those bad days have been very often for them recently.

1. Leeds
2. Leicester FA Cup
3. Roma
4. Liverpool
5. Aston villa

Those are 5 games in the last Month or so just off the top of my head that Fred and sometimes McTominay have gifted the opposition a goal due to their inability on the ball. Are they preventing more goals than they are giving away right now?

I don't think so.

I'm not even a Matic fan and obviously his legs are gone but his first half performance against Leicester was better than Fred has played in months. And that was with a makeshift team.

Current form I go Pogba and Fred or Pogba and McTominay to allow us to play Greenwood Cavani and Rashford.
Matic was at fault for the goals conceeded when he last played.

There is no better alternative.

If Maguire plays then we can afford to have Pogba in CM with Fred or McT. Otherwise we need their energy.

Rossa

1. Leeds
2. Leicester FA Cup
3. Roma
4. Liverpool
5. Aston villa

I don't think so.

Agree on Fred and McTominay. As of late they’ve been very poor. Matic was good agaibst Leicester and slots in nicely between the cbs when defending. My concern is with having Pogba ahead of him as he loses the ball far too often.

bsCallout

Agree on Fred and McTominay. As of late they’ve been very poor. Matic was good agaibst Leicester and slots in nicely between the cbs when defending. My concern is with having Pogba ahead of him as he loses the ball far too often.
Matic was poor in both of Leicesters goals, he gave the ball away as poorly as Fred for a couple of their attacks and had no legs to track Ihaenacho running in behind.

Pogba & Matic would be completely overrun.

The idea that Matic should start in a final for us is mental.

Ludens the Red

No, it's for Ole to do the right thing and not leave us exposed, just to prove he has balls.

Without Maguire we HAVE to play two defensive minded CMs.

I would start Rashford to be honest, Greenwood has proven he can come on and change a game, he's also a better sub if we are protecting the lead as he's more composed with the ball.
Does make sense but I still do like my balls idea.

Swiss_Red89

I also agree that it shouldn't be a question between Greenwood and Rashford.
Both have to start and Pogba should play CM with either Fred or McT. We don't play Barcelona, we play Villareal.

If Solskjaer really want to presist with McFred for this game, then Pogba should be the one dropping to the bench. I can't see why we should drop our best LW (Rashford) or RW (Greenwood) for a final because Pogba had a few good performances from the left or we don't have the balls to play him in a midfield two.

Rossa

Matic was poor in both of Leicesters goals, he gave the ball away as poorly as Fred for a couple of their attacks and had no legs to track Ihaenacho running in behind.

Agree. If Matic plays, Fred still needs to play because of his mobility. Therefore, there’s little to no point.

Pogba needs to improve his defensive play to ever be considered the best 8 in the world, as some argue he is.

laughtersassassin

I wasn't saying Matic should start in my post.

romufc

Ole should pick players on form rather than names.

Greenwood's form means he has to start the final. Pogba's form on the left means he has to start there.

This means Rashford on the bench, he needs to learn that he cannot play 5/10 every match and still get picked. He needs to move on from being a moments player to having an impact in games throughout.

Devil may care

Mason is playing better than Rashford and is better at RW than him, but sadly I think Ole will go with Rashford on name alone. I'd be surprised if both start as Pogba increases our creativity in the front 4 and is a defensive liability in the double pivot.

laughtersassassin

Greenwood's form means he has to start the final. Pogba's form on the left means he has to start there.

This means Rashford on the bench, he needs to learn that he cannot play 5/10 every match and still get picked. He needs to move on from being a moments player to having an impact in games throughout.
Form would have Fred in the bench too

Idxomer

Both, McTominay should be dropped as he barely add anything on either side of the pitch.

Grande

Mason is playing better than Rashford and is better at RW than him, but sadly I think Ole will go with Rashford on name alone. I'd be surprised if both start as Pogba increases our creativity in the front 4 and is a defensive liability in the double pivot.

On a side note, but I can’t believe anyone would actually think a coach would pick a player on name. Yet it’s an argument that pops up.

From a coach perspective, even a kids football coach, it’s fairly obvious that any coach will trade off the question of form with the questions of tactical relations (who functions best together in the way we play) and team tactics (how do we want to play against Villarreal specifically).

Solskjær sees the boys in games or training every day and week, he knows what form they are in, what capacities they bring and how they work in different set ups. That will decide.

Rashford has the speed and the ability to threaten on the shoulder that will greatly affect the tactical battle regardless of form. Other teams adapt their tactics to Rashford, sacrificing some of their own strengths. That weighs against what both Pogba and Grenwood brings to the attack. He has built good tactical relations with Shaw and Bruno in the RW position. That weighs against Pogba’s better form.

If Rashford plays on the right of Cavani in the final, it’s because the coaches have weighed the sum of these parts and found United stand a bigger chance of winning that way.

Personally, I would probably play Pogba on the left against Villarreal, as they are not used to defending Rashford, they will probably lay low and exploit errors in midfield to overpower our defence quickly. Pogba brings errors in midfield and is not good at defending counters. Greenwoo dwill be better, but he is not as good at opening space in tight, low blocks against technical defenders, so I would start with Pogba and bring Greenwood on later if needed. Wether that would be better than Pogba in midfield I think is almost a coin toss, but I’d definitely prefer it to Pogba on the left, sacrificing Rashfords specialities, almost regardless of form.

laughtersassassin

And who will you have instead of Fred?
Anyone. McT and Pogba. You said pick on form.

And on form Fred and McTominay should not play together.

So either go Fred and Pogba or Pogba and McT.

Formwise the pair of McFred has been crap for two months

romufc

Anyone. McT and Pogba. You said pick on form.

And on form Fred and McTominay should not play together.

So either go Fred and Pogba or Pogba and McT.

Formwise the pair of McFred has been crap for two months
Anyone? Do you watch United? Pick on form and have anyone?

When was the last time Pogba played well in a 6?

Theyve been crap but we have no alternatives. Ole plays a 4-2-3-1 and they are the only 2 who can play that position......

laughtersassassin

Anyone? Do you watch United? Pick on form and have anyone?

When was the last time Pogba played well in a 6?

Theyve been crap but we have no alternatives. Ole plays a 4-2-3-1 and they are the only 2 who can play that position......
In the EL he did. Against Milan in the second game if memory serves right.

McFred where not able to control the game (As usual) so we dropped Pogba back into the two and subbed on a winger.

It's important to remember the type of opposition we are facing. Aiming to physically bully them in midfield could be a good tactic.

There are risks no matter the pair and right now considering the opposition in think the McFred partnership is a major risk.

BorisManUtd

It'll probably be Rashford on RW, Greenwood only coming from the bench around 65th-70th minute.

Devil may care

On a side note, but I can’t believe anyone would actually think a coach would pick a player on name. Yet it’s an argument that pops up.

From a coach perspective, even a kids football coach, it’s fairly obvious that any coach will trade off the question of form with the questions of tactical relations (who functions best together in the way we play) and team tactics (how do we want to play against Villarreal specifically).

Solskjær sees the boys in games or training every day and week, he knows what form they are in, what capacities they bring and how they work in different set ups. That will decide.

Rashford has the speed and the ability to threaten on the shoulder that will greatly affect the tactical battle regardless of form. Other teams adapt their tactics to Rashford, sacrificing some of their own strengths. That weighs against what both Pogba and Grenwood brings to the attack. He has built good tactical relations with Shaw and Bruno in the RW position. That weighs against Pogba’s better form.

If Rashford plays on the right of Cavani in the final, it’s because the coaches have weighed the sum of these parts and found United stand a bigger chance of winning that way.

Personally, I would probably play Pogba on the left against Villarreal, as they are not used to defending Rashford, they will probably lay low and exploit errors in midfield to overpower our defence quickly. Pogba brings errors in midfield and is not good at defending counters. Greenwoo dwill be better, but he is not as good at opening space in tight, low blocks against technical defenders, so I would start with Pogba and bring Greenwood on later if needed. Wether that would be better than Pogba in midfield I think is almost a coin toss, but I’d definitely prefer it to Pogba on the left, sacrificing Rashfords specialities, almost regardless of form.
We've seen at our own club in recent times with Rooney, a player being picked based off his status in the game despite playing poorly on a regular basis. At this point in time Rashford has been off form for at least 2-3 months and doesn't look fit no matter what is said to the press, Mason is not only in great form and a huge goal threat, he also has a good understanding with our main #9 Cavani, Rashford's pace off the bench if the game gets stretched makes the most sense.

GwilDor

I’ve played around a bit with how to fit both Pogba and Bruno in our team without sacrificing defensive stability. I don’t think it will be done for the final though, since it would require some time in training to implement the different roles and movement patterns.
would look like this:
———- -> —————<-
rasford-/ —————— \-Greenwood
^ —— Pogba —— Bruno ^
| ——— McTom Fred ——— |
| ————-/————————— |
Shaw Lindelöf Bailly AWB
DDG

The idea is to sacrifice the lone center forward to get Rashford and Greenwood on at the same time. They’d start wide when we’re without the ball but move up front when attacking. Width being maintained by the wingbacks much like normally. Pogba and Bruno would have freedom to roam. Probably loads of reasons why this would not work, but it would keep both Greenwood/Rash and Bruno/Pogba on the field in their best positions or very close to it. Worth a shot at some point?

Grande

We've seen at our own club in recent times with Rooney, a player being picked based off his status in the game despite playing poorly on a regular basis. At this point in time Rashford has been off form for at least 2-3 months and doesn't look fit no matter what is said to the press, Mason is not only in great form and a huge goal threat, he also has a good understanding with our main #9 Cavani, Rashford's pace off the bench if the game gets stretched makes the most sense.
You actually think Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho played Rooney because of his ‘status in the game’ while clawing to survive as managers and desperate for better results? That sounds pretty absurd from the point of view of a coach, something only an armchair theorist could come up with. Van Gaal was very verbal on his perception of Rooney’s importance to United’s chances if medals under him, and he sawhim in training,saw the games several times, as did his video analysing team, he knew the tactics, and he had sacrificed several primadonna’s of the highest level. He wasn’t looking at Rooney’s ‘name’ or status in the game. Fans do that. Managers don’t have that luxury.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
You actually think Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho played Rooney because of his ‘status in the game’ while clawing to survive as managers and desperate for better results? That sounds pretty absurd from the point of view of a coach, something only an armchair theorist could come up with. Van Gaal was very verbal on his perception of Rooney’s importance to United’s chances if medals under him, and he sawhim in training,saw the games several times, as did his video analysing team, he knew the tactics, and he had sacrificed several primadonna’s of the highest level. He wasn’t looking at Rooney’s ‘name’ or status in the game. Fans do that. Managers don’t have that luxury.
You make it sound like managers never make selection mistakes when we know for a fact they do. Every manager has his favourites usually built on a level of trust that has built up over time. Ole hasn't had too many players he can fully count on but Rashford has been one of those players he can, so of course, he returns that trust even when Rashford is playing poorly. The issue with that is other players can also come into top form i.e Greenwood and perhaps not get judged by the same standards as Rashford. That has clearly been the case for the last 6 months of this season where Greenwood has been the better player. Frankly what they do on the training pitch at that point doesn't really matter so long as they perform to their level on the pitch.

Devil may care

Managers are managing big egos who can turn a dressing room on them, and who are on massive amounts of money. This is not about the purity of coaching at this end of the game, it's a business as well, they answer to the higher ups if an asset they are paying over 200K a week isn't being used, it's really not as straightforward at the top level unless you're a Fergie or Guardiola and have total control.

yo@Kirk

I don't see any big European team giving Pogba a huge contract to play on the left wing. If he wants to get paid, he needs to show he's a top midfielder and the Europa League final will be his last opportunity this season to do that. Play Pogba and McT in a midfield 2 with Rashford and Greenwood on the wings and see if Pogba rises to the challenge like a world class midfielder should.

Nikelesh Reddy

I just seriously hope that Ole doesn’t start Marcus on the right.If Ole goes in for a 2 man midfield of Pogba and Mctominay,then he can play Rashford on the left and Mason the right.But if he wants Mcfred in the middle and Pogba on the left,then he has to start Mason ahead of Marcus.It’s Crystal cleat that Mason is way more effective than Marcus on the right....Hopefully Ole will have the courage to make the right call...

CM

Tough call to make. Greenwood doesn't deserve to be dropped on current form but Rashford is a big game player.

It'll never happen but it would be nice if we throw caution to the wind and drop one of McTominay/Fred so we can start both.

Andersons Dietician

Yeah Rashford will start on the right but it should be Greenwood with Rashford coming off the bench off current form.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I just seriously hope that Ole doesn’t start Marcus on the right.If Ole goes in for a 2 man midfield of Pogba and Mctominay,then he can play Rashford on the left and Mason the right.But if he wants Mcfred in the middle and Pogba on the left,then he has to start Mason ahead of Marcus.It’s Crystal cleat that Mason is way more effective than Marcus on the right....Hopefully Ole will have the courage to make the right call...
While I prefer him on the left (or rather, I did earlier in the season when he had pace and didn't seem to be carrying a knock), sure someone posted that his assists are more from the right?

For me, it's form not names. Greenwood should start.