Greenwood or Rashford? Who starts the final?

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
We should try Pogba on the right and Rashford on the left in one of the next few matches and see how it goes. Experiment a little.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
This question should really be asked closer to the game. Rashford could have a hattrick tomorrow night and then another hattrick against the Scousers on Thursday night and opinions will swing the other way.

-Supreme-

This question should really be asked closer to the game. Rashford could have a hattrick tomorrow night and then another hattrick against the Scousers on Thursday night and opinions will swing the other way.
Rashford has two games left to impress as whoever is picked against Wolves in the last game of the season will unlikely start the final.

laughtersassassin

Personally think Greenwood has to start. Our best RW and it's not even close.

With the type of team we are playing against I'd forgo playing the McFred combo and bring Pogba back.

They have been doing more harm than good the past month or two.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Rashford will start. What I don't understand is the persistence with starting him on the right, Pogba is fine there and no worse than on the left. Marcus though...

laughtersassassin

Rashford will start. What I don't understand is the persistence with starting him on the right, Pogba is fine there and no worse than on the left. Marcus though...
The sensible thing to do is not play McFred. They've costs us multiple goals this last month or two.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I would start Mason ahead of Rashford even on the left, never mind on the right. Mason is comfortable on either foot and his supposed weaker foot is on a par with Rashford's strongest peg IMO. Mason gives us a two footed threat and tactical versatility which means he can interchange roles comfortably.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I honestly think if we start with

Rashford Cavani Greenwood

Pogba Bruno Fred

We will win easily. I dislike Pogba in the middle but I think it would still be enough to score a few against them in a game where we have most of the ball. Recently we struggle to create in the latter stages so I would be slightly more aggressive. Bring James on for Rashford on at 55, 60 if there’s nothing doing. We should be winning this if we get at them. A Consolation prize that should be used more for youth debuts but hopefully a very welcome first trophy for Ole and the lads. We played some super stuff this season and it’s pretty clear where we need to improve. Balls in the owners court again…

Last edited:

Teja

We should try Pogba on the right and Rashford on the left in one of the next few matches and see how it goes. Experiment a little.
I think we've tried this a few times but he wasn't any good.

-Supreme-

I would start Mason ahead of Rashford even on the left, never mind on the right. Mason is comfortable on either foot and his supposed weaker foot is on a par with Rashford's strongest peg IMO. Mason gives us a two footed threat and tactical versatility which means he can interchange roles comfortably.
I agree.

But I think Ole will pick Rashford simply due to his pace particularly when we have relatively slow attackers.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If Rashford is close enough to 100% I'd start them both, either side of Cavani. Drop either Fred/McTominay for Pogba in midfield (a bit risky, I know) and go full tilt.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I agree.

But I think Ole will pick Rashford simply due to his pace particularly when we have relatively slow attackers.
I think he'll pick Rashford too. But I think things are gonna get very interesting next season, because I expect Mason to improve further along with Amad and the right sided forward role won't be a issue.

Red00012

Start Greenwood give Rashford that kick up the hope he badly needs

el3mel

Greenwood has to start. Rashford can barely even run these days.

Rustyspider13

Greenwood should start, but Rashford will. We'll get some ideas from the team against Fulham as I believe today's team+DDG for Dean will be our team for the final.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Rashford - Cavani - Greenwood

If Rashford, is not seeming sharp/is coming across tired inntrainin, Pogba to start over him. Greenwood has to play on the right for balance.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It should be Fred, Pogba and Bruno in the middle. Rashford left, Cavani up front, Greenwood right. I don’t understand the thinking that we are better with McFred than Pogba plus one.

amolbhatia50k

It should be Fred, Pogba and Bruno in the middle. Rashford left, Cavani up front, Greenwood right. I don’t understand the thinking that we are better with McFred than Pogba plus one.
Pogba is crap defensively so it does create an issue against competent midfields.

SER19

If rashford starts on the right id have genuine concerns about ole continuing as manager. You have to make the tough calls and Greenwood is far far better there. Rashford is also far better on the left and losing his link with Shaw is just shooting ourselves in the foot

Havak

Pokemon master
If it had to be one or the other, Ole would start Rashford.

However, particularly with Maguire out, we have seen our shortcomings. I think having to play two CBs who probably aren't quite good enough + McFred is going to hinder us too much. I hope we just take a chance and play all of Pogba, Bruno, Rashford, Cavani and Greenwood from the start.

If Maguire is fit for the final then we might go with McFred to start and Mason on the bench though.

Ludens the Red

Interestingly Villarreal play a 442.... to me that becomes a no brainer to then start with a more adventurous line up.

OmarUnited4ever

My question is how do Villarreal play? I have not watched them, do they press high & aggressively? or do they standoff and play a low block?

if the former (press high & aggressively), then we will need McFred, and Pogba goes into the left, and most likely Rashford on the right, if the later (low block), then Pogba in midfield, and a front 3 of Greenwood, Cavani, Rashford

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Interestingly Villarreal play a 442.... to me that becomes a no brainer to then start with a more adventurous line up.
The problem with that though is you have 2 strikers right up against the centre backs with little protection. If Maguire was playing I’d feel play but it’s asking for trouble against Lindelof plus one.

laughtersassassin

Pogba is crap defensively so it does create an issue against competent midfields.
While true are we just going to pretend Fred hasn't been gifting the opposition goal after goal for the last two months?

And McTominay has been in hiding. Both are in their worst form of the season.

We shouldn't be afraid of Villarreal. Play the lad who is good on the ball imo. We saw in the second leg versus AC for example how bad McFred was doing in the first half. We had to drop Pogba into midfield to gain control.

amolbhatia50k

While true are we just going to pretend Fred hasn't been gifting the opposition goal after goal for the last two months?

And McTominay has been in hiding. Both are in their worst form of the season.

We shouldn't be afraid of Villarreal. Play the lad who is good on the ball imo. We saw in the second leg versus AC for example how bad McFred was doing in the first half. We had to drop Pogba into midfield to gain control.
I agree that McFred is bang average but I don't trust the manager, CBs or Pogba's midfield play enough to go for that. Obviously it depends on how Villareal set up. Against a 442 we could be braver. But by default I'd keep the two clumsies in midfield

Ludens the Red

The problem with that though is you have 2 strikers right up against the centre backs with little protection. If Maguire was playing I’d feel play but it’s asking for trouble against Lindelof plus one.
True....
It’s a tough one but I just feel and want Ole to have some balls and us to play with the impetus.

bsCallout

True....
It’s a tough one but I just feel and want Ole to have some balls and us to play with the impetus.
No, it's for Ole to do the right thing and not leave us exposed, just to prove he has balls.

Without Maguire we HAVE to play two defensive minded CMs.

I would start Rashford to be honest, Greenwood has proven he can come on and change a game, he's also a better sub if we are protecting the lead as he's more composed with the ball.

Oranges038

Both with Cavani up top.

I don't see any reason why the two of them can't interchange sides during a game.

laughtersassassin

No, it's for Ole to do the right thing and not leave us exposed, just to prove he has balls.

Without Maguire we HAVE to play two defensive minded CMs.

I would start Rashford to be honest, Greenwood has proven he can come on and change a game, he's also a better sub if we are protecting the lead as he's more composed with the ball.
It's not been confirmed Maguire is out.

And let's be honest it's not like McFred has been solid defensively these two past months.