g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Greenwood (Out) - signs for Getafe on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
There are some parallels with Ravel Morrison. One of the most gifted youth prospects I've ever seen. Seemed nailed on to not only make it, but potentially to become a world-class player.

But as we know, he was a dickhead. He was naturally gifted, but once you let it slip away, it's gone. He couldn't cut it anywhere in the end.
You should do a bit more research on Morrison, it might change your opinion of him.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Out of interest what’s the deal with the Saudi league? I am guessing that as they are all state backed clubs, they would never get into a bidding war with each other. So it will be one Saudi club making a lowish offer rather than 2 or 3 competing for him?

Balljy

I’ve said it before, a loan would be best for getting out of dodge, improving his fitness and answering the question if he can still operate at that high level. The jury is out on that one
Yeah, agreed unfortunately. It gives the club a year to see the reaction too which I wouldn't put beyond the board considering. That'd only work if it was a UK loan though. If he does play well the fee would be far higher in a year anyway compared to now when it's an unknown at all levels.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It would be very good PR considering it will be a nominal fee anyway. If he is to have a footballing career (and I hope he does) it has to be away from United and away from the cess pit that is British media. A clean break would be beneficial to both player and club.
Dont see a problem with selling him but we might get a decent enough fee for him, and we should be using that to reinvest on an asset we lost.
It's not like Manchester United were endorsing his behaviour.

the_cliff

Out of interest what’s the deal with the Saudi league? I am guessing that as they are all state backed clubs, they would never get into a bidding war with each other. So it will be one Saudi club making a lowish offer rather than 2 or 3 competing for him?
I don't think so. Both Al Ittihad and Al Ahli were fighting it out for De Paul recently. He ended up staying at Atleti.

I'm not sure how it works exactly, I think the government funds the clubs and then their managements/executives choose who to buy, I can see some being in for the same players.

Kramer

I’ve said it before, a loan would be best for getting out of dodge, improving his fitness and answering the question if he can still operate at that high level. The jury is out on that one
And this is absolutely what will happen. No one will cough up the kind of fees we want for him at the moment. Football is a business and we will not let a valuable asset walk for free / peanuts.

A loan isn’t the best option, it’s probably the only option.

The way the statement has been worded, it leaves a remote possibility of him coming back as well.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Yeah agreed.

We have 11 days to get rid off him, it needs to happen quick. Otherwise it'll be a loan and we have to through all this malarkey again next summer.

Not surprised to hear that tosspot Gerrard would welcome him with open arms.

klsv

Hope the club has been in contact with the charities and will donate decent sums to them regardless of the transfer fee. Least they could do after labeling said charities hostile.

Marwood

Predict he'll earn plenty for next two or three years at a lower level(Saudi) and won't return to the top level. I don't see the drive in him to get back to where his natural talent should be.

ROFLUTION

It's the morally right thing to do. (Don't) Think about it.
Is it really? We’ve invested around 13 years of time with this fella through it all. He’s an unconvicted man, who’s innocent by the court, the United investigations and her family has had their say in that one too.

on top of that, he has a girlfriend and a family who have moved on and approved of Mason Greenwood. I say feck The Telegraph, treat him like a normal player on his way out.

Marwood

Hope the club has been in contact with the charities and will donate decent sums to them regardless of the transfer fee. Least they could do after labeling said charities hostile.
Surely that's Greenwood's job.

Skills

Snitch
I think we should just tag on an extra £50 to everyone's season ticket fee for a morality surcharge, and use that to donate to any relevant charities.

klsv

Surely that's Greenwood's job.
United got some well deserved backlash for labeling the charities hostile, so while I agree that Greenwood should also donate, United needs to do it as well.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
No we are not donating any fee. I hope the club isn't bullied into that. Not when we're struggling financially. The club has responsibilities to other stakeholders as well so we need any income we can get at this moment imho.

Steve Bruce

If someone put down 20m or more I'd accept it. Right now he is a drain on us, he's not an asset. He hasn't kicked a ball in 18months, his brand is dirt and there's no prospect of anything changing while at united.

So if someone gave us 20m, it's free money and also cutting a drain on our finances.

We need to realise this isn't 19 year wonder kid, this is 21 year old disgraced man (according to society not law)

Jazz

United got some well deserved backlash for labeling the charities hostile, so while I agree that Greenwood should also donate, United needs to do it as well.
That's unfortunate but it was a leak. Nevertheless, we are not donating all monies at all. Sorry. United can make a donation but no, they are not entitled to this. It won't make a difference anyway as everyone will still have a go at us.

TsuWave

I’m not sure Saudi Arabia would want him, they’re building something brand new pretty much and will be very mindful of the PR involved in bringing him in.

The Saudi league has an element of sports washing to it and signing someone suspected of violent domestic abuse, whether he’s guilty or not, doesn’t fit into that.
Ronaldo was their marquee signing

klsv

No we are not donating any fee. I hope the club isn't bullied into that. Not when we're struggling financially. The club has responsibilities to other stakeholders as well so we need any income we can get at this moment imho.
I see no issues. Lots of companies donate large sums to charities, even without acting like cnuts beforehand.

samlee86

What happens if on September 1st he’s still a United player.

Does he play for the reserves.

What if he plays really well for the reserves and the first team is struggling in 8th by November.

Mason has two years left on his contract and the club have publicly stated he has done nothing wrong.

If he doesn’t get the move he wants then he doesn’t have to leave.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think that United needs to do whatever the feck United sees fit to do, and not what media/mob pressures them to do. If you feel like donating, you and everyone else is free to do so.

Jazz

Greenwood would be the most appropriate person to donate then.

Jazz

What happens if on September 1st he’s still a United player.

Does he play for the reserves.

What if he plays really well for the reserves and the first team is struggling in 8th by November.

Mason has two years left on his contract and the club have publicly stated he has done nothing wrong.

We have to find a loan for him. I'm sure that's possible before September 1st..

klsv

I think that United needs to do whatever the feck United sees fit to do, and not what media/mob pressures them to do. If you feel like donating, you and everyone else is free to do so.
Which mob is that? I'm not from Manchester, so not sure about the state of organised crime there.

Dominos

We would be absolute idiots to let him leave for very little or free. No chance at all.

If we don’t get a ridiculously high offer, he will go on loan. Mark my words.
The issue is with the loan, is it puts us in the exact same scenario next summer.

In order to get a good price on a sale, you must have a credible threat of keeping the player if you don't get a satisfactory offer. We've destroyed all our leverage by announcing that he's never playing for us again, we should have started the sale process early in the summer whilst briefing that we may integrate him back into the squad if our valuation isn't met. Obviously we'd have no actual intention of ever keeping him, but it would have put us in much better negotiating position.

If we get lucky and there's multiple offers from different clubs then the bidding war may end up getting us a half decent fee, but it won't be anywhere near what he was worth 18 months ago.

At this point you just have to treat any money we get as a bonus, we were all preparing to lose him for nothing for the last 18 months.

Last edited:

Canuckred64

Putting aside the issue of what he's done, the version of Greenwood the player that people remember doesn't exist anymore.

He's been completely isolated from football for 18 months and his development will have completely flatlined. You can't get that time back. There is no chance whatsoever he will get anywhere near the potential he once showed as a player.
Not saying your wrong, but players used to be out long-term with major injuries. Van Nistelrooy was out over a year before he joined us and Shearer missed a about a year with his ACL injury. I would think physically he will be alright, but there has to be some mental impact of all this on him, so perhaps you're right.

TsuWave

How are the optics of us paying/part-paying his salary if he goes on loan? Who pays his wages in this instance?
we’re currently paying his salary so nothing changes in terms of optics - most people’s issue seemed to be they just didn’t want him lining up for United again - and his statement as well as the club’s comma seems to have put that to bed. If you read the threads on the topic you’ll see that “he should restart his career elsewhere” is a fairly regular reply. I don’t think us paying his wages moves the needle, as previously said we’re doing that now.

TsuWave

This doesn’t even make sense. That was an internal re-intergration model/plan - that labelled which institutions and journos would be receptive or against his return/where they would land. How does that translate to United has to donate? What the feck

Jazz

Any credible rumours as to who might be interested in taking him?

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss

Wishful thinking on your part?

There is categorically no way he even trains with United again, let alone plays after the statement yesterday. It would kick up a really shitstorm if it was even mooted.

He’s done here, and that’s for the best.

the_cliff

Any credible rumours as to who might be interested in taking him?

Apparently we've already received around 10 offers. Whether these offers are loans or permanent transfers remain to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.